Home
We picked this up today, we put about 220 miles on the car, drove it home, did not trailer it.

Seller said the car has seen the road for maybe 50 total miles over the past 17 years.

Kind of a neat buggy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

we pulled the skirts off and put them in the trunk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150702_205025480_zpsqwgvgrrr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150702_205048019_zpsey6cuixs.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150702_205149206_zpsumkvhmy8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150702_205201591_zpsi9dqpgwn.jpg[/img]
Dave;
Good evening to you sir and thanks for sharing the newest addition. cool

Our eldest and I attended the Peach City Beach Cruise car show last weekend - something just shy of 750 cars I think it was.

Anyway Dave, with a wee bit of TLC that would have fit right in and then some. Again it's a cool addition.

Thanks again, all the best to you and your fine family and Happy Fourth of July to you all.

Dwayne
cool , but needs a big block stroker.
Outstanding.

Love the dual pipes and the chrome looks pristine.

But...but wait....there's nothing to perform on this beauty!! Maybe an improved and rumbling big block?

Starting a car lot??

Darn cool Dave.

What a by-gone era that exuded the architectural design to autos, trains, buses, etc.

Was the cow-catcher factory?
Too cool for school.
Put them skirts back on!!!!
Twice pipes, three on the tree, but no bucket chairs?
Been awhile since I saw a generator under a hood.
Leave the skirts off

Pretty cool ride.

Long time ago and far away, I had a 55 Ford two door wagon. It didn't look near as pristine as that 53.

But I had a lot of fun in it laugh
I like it.
Thanks n d,

that reminds me a lot of my first car. '54 Chevy Bel-Aire 2 door hardtop, lots of chrome, skirts etc. Powerglide tranny and all. d--m I miss that car.

Have fun with yours.

Geno
The wife and I plan to do minimal tinkering on the car this summer, drive, enjoy, then tear it down for a redo this winter.

a minor facelift.

Different license plates front and rear? Cool car.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Too cool for school.

This. Love it!
Dave, when time allows, could you post some weld parameters for the "back from the dead" Mustang ? I see you're using a couple of different machines, and wondering if you "stitch" with that as a built in function, or just trigger and whip the gun.

Your latest,....I can tell you that it took FOREVER to get back to where I really wanted to be (N.O. La.) once, in a virtually identical car.

A little prone to vapor lock if you didn't open the hood, right off the road.

Other than that, solid as a church,....and more than adequate for gettin' state to state.

GTC

And ND does it again. That sumbish always has the coolest toys.

I guess it gives me a reason to make the trek to his shop every few months or so.

The next trip just might be in my green machine.

Sweet ride there bud. See ya soon whether you want to or not!!! smile
Yeah pretty cool... and especially looking like it escaped MN crotch rot from road salt....

dontcha love how simple those old cars were....

I was always partial to the Merc version of that old Ford....

IIRC 53 was the last year for the old Ford Flatheads....

but the old 6 is still just as cool in the old time capsule...
I'm impressed! Love it!

DMc
OOH, oil bath air cleaner, generator, Armstrong steering, non power brakes, the good old days
Change it to an alternator and add on A/C and I would be in hog heaven!
looks pretty good for a 60+ year old Ford
Nice!
Kewl I would leave her bone stock right down to the 6 v. battery, a fine example of 50's iron! Massage in all the right places (as you are so adept at) and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Love it Dave.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Dave, when time allows, could you post some weld parameters for the "back from the dead" Mustang ? I see you're using a couple of different machines, and wondering if you "stitch" with that as a built in function, or just trigger and whip the gun.

Your latest,....I can tell you that it took FOREVER to get back to where I really wanted to be (N.O. La.) once, in a virtually identical car.

A little prone to vapor lock if you didn't open the hood, right off the road.

Other than that, solid as a church,....and more than adequate for gettin' state to state.

GTC

howdy oops.

I use a little millermatic 175 for my sheetmetal stuff. I run .023 0r .024 wire amd 75%-25% shielding gas. I keep it down real low, fitting is as much of an art as welding that thin stuff. then the welding part... To keep it short I'll just say the rotisserie is a blessing because we can now alter our weld presentation in our favor. That's a huge deal. About as huge as visibility which can be difficult to obtain in those tight areas.

WOW! Neat car in beautiful shape!
I like that plan. So many cars get turned into hot rods that an original becomes a rarity.
I just found some fairly large chunks of old copper buss bar, the sort of stuff one finds in large substations and smelters.

Do you ever use copper "backers" or "Chill Plates"

Would be glad to cut a coupla' pieces and fire off in you general direction. I weld copper, and can fit the things up with handles and clamping lugs,....lemme know.

Re: visibility

I had a good look at the setup linked below, and it's just about one of the neatest things I've seen in a long time. Beats the crap out of that old leather executioner's hood that was hard to breath in or keep pointed straight

Link: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/goggles/weld-mask-auto-darkening/
Very Nice. A Minnesota car with no rust is a rare rare bird indeed.
Holy Crap ! what a ride !
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I just found some fairly large chunks of old copper buss bar, the sort of stuff one finds in large substations and smelters.

Do you ever use copper "backers" or "Chill Plates"

Would be glad to cut a coupla' pieces and fire off in you general direction. I weld copper, and can fit the things up with handles and clamping lugs,....lemme know.

Re: visibility

I had a good look at the setup linked below, and it's just about one of the neatest things I've seen in a long time. Beats the crap out of that old leather executioner's hood that was hard to breath in or keep pointed straight

Link: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/goggles/weld-mask-auto-darkening/

Wow, auto darkening goggles, now that is F'ing cool! I would use the hell out of those. I will be getting some for sure.

I don't use backer bars right now probably because I don't have any, lol!

Mid panel body seams take me a long time to do because of heat concerns. I am going to get some if that heat sink clay that you can flank your weld with.
Very neat!
Really cool beans ND!

That was back when cars were big enough that you could conceive children in them! laugh
It's surprisingly cozy (small) inside though.

I think it was maybe just back when you were flexible enough to do really twisty things in a confined space.

grin

I don't use backer bars right now probably because I don't have any, lol!

Mid panel body seams take me a long time to do because of heat concerns. I am going to get some if that heat sink clay that you can flank your weld with.

Well with every addict in the universe putting the gleep on anything vaguely resembling copper, HEAVY copper's gotten harder to find. Will get you lined out with some,....I use a LOT of carbon graphite on heavy wear metal for backers and reestablishing Plow bolt holes and such, but it's a BAD mistake to go anywhere near the light gauge stuff with it, due to carbon embrittlement.

The problem I have with that "Helping Hands" clay is that it gives up steam and disrupts my gas shield,.....I do have some clear gel that you can paint on, or dip and let dry,....don't ask me how the stuff works, but you can hold one end of a light strip of sheet metal bare hands,...and heat the other end HOT with impunity / no discomfort. My welding supplier's closed today, so I can't call him for the name of the stuff

Originally Posted by northern_dave
It's surprisingly cozy (small) inside though.

I think it was maybe just back when you were flexible enough to do really twisty things in a confined space.

grin

blush

Picking up, what you are puttin' out, there Dave !

wink
Originally Posted by northern_dave

we pulled the skirts off and put them in the trunk.

[Linked Image]

Something tells me there's been more than a few skirts pulled in that car, over the years... grin
I had the same year only mine was a Mercury as a first car. Lock at the size of that back seat. You could go camping in that rear seat. I was "made a man" in my back seat.
[Linked Image]

And to think that was the up graded interior in that car.
What a gorgeous ride! 3-on-the-tree to boot. Enjoy!
Thanks guys, she's a real smooth runner. Pam has till mid winter to figure out what color she wants it.

grin
Great car, Dave. That is the same car I started to school in. Mine had two things wrong with it - it was just a junker at the time I was going to school. No old timey, cool thing going on then. And it had an automatic choke - the first year that Ford made them I think. It was a pain. My dad and brother installed a manual choke and it ran some better. The six cylinder Ford was alright, but I surely did want the V-8. Oh Yeah! the color was morning hangover green...I think it was called Seafoam green. UGLY!

Best of Luck with her!
Some thoughts. IMHO your winnie should be put in a vise till the notion of re-painting goes away. My 1953 Mercury was a spitting image of your Ford. Instead of seafoam green, mine was coral, which is another name for sickly pink. You should try picking up girls in a pink Mercury. I am FAR from an expert on cars but I am scratching my head on this one. Ford did not come out with an overhead valve engine till 1954. 1953 was the last year of Ford's famous flathead engines. Any car experts out there that can straighten this out for a less than knowledgeable car guy?
Originally Posted by T LEE
Change it to an alternator and add on A/C and I would be in hog heaven!

That's right.

I like it too.
Man, that's sweet.. Lookit all the room under the hood - just an engine, radiator and battery; why, you could hold a dance in there... smile smile

Been awhile, but isn't that an oil-bath air cleaner??
Yes it is, and it is full of oil too. I already looked. grin
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I am scratching my head on this one. Ford did not come out with an overhead valve engine till 1954. 1953 was the last year of Ford's famous flathead engines. Any car experts out there that can straighten this out for a less than knowledgeable car guy?

The flat head was on its way out but the Y block wasn't quite ready yet so they released the 53 with the flat head V8 but it was also available with the 215 OHV six. It may have been available in 52 as well, it was a new release for Ford in either 52 or 53. I think it was 53.

OHV V8 came in 54

Neighbor had a '53, he said F O R D stood for Fixed Or Repaired Daily.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Neighbor had a '53, he said F O R D stood for Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

Mine all stand for First On Race Day.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Put them skirts back on!!!!

Skirts are for chicks, not old fords.
What made the designers of those old sixes put the carb and intake manifold on the same side of the block as the exhaust, right in the heat zone?
I dunno, but the float bowl is clear, you can see inside it. That's pretty cool. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
What made the designers of those old sixes put the carb and intake manifold on the same side of the block as the exhaust, right in the heat zone?

Packaging? I think Ford did that, until the 300 Six finally went out of print about 1996
Thanks for the clarification Dave. The carburetor could be an updraft from its location. Then again I had to use spell check to spell carburetor.

We have heard that the letters of fords name spell out many things.

Fix Or Repair Daily
First On Race Day
These have already been mentioned.
Found On Road Dead
But if you are being followed by a Ford then the name is backwards in your rear view mirror and then it spells out:

Driver Returned On Foot
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by mathman

Packaging? I think Ford did that, until the 300 Six finally went out of print about 1996
It was to put heat to the intake for cold starts and better fuel atomization. Not great for power, but good for fuel economy with carburetion. Not needed for fuel injection.
I had the SW version. Same OHV 6, I know for a fact it would do 99 at Denver altitude. I seem to remember a manual choke. I also rmember, 1953 "50th anniversary" on the horn button.
all this talk about mercury......

Sweet Ride and in damn nice shape! cool
© 24hourcampfire