Home
Posted By: Salmonella Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
My lil brother is looking hard at a move there.
He is taking a roadtrip in a week or two.

My interest is seriously piqued... wink

He's a retired Sheriff's Deputy with a very good retirement income and hard core conservative and single at 50 years old.

Loves the outdoors, hunting & fishing.
I've got the salmon/steelhead thing dialed.

How's satellite internet, TV etc?

Big brother could be tagging along... wink

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
If it was good enough for Elmer....

Maybe not very helpful but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
IIRC, Brian Pearce is located near there, also.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Buffalo Bore ammo is manufactured there.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Beautiful place, especially in the summer and fall. Lots of winter, though.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
If he's single, it won't be hard to stay single.....

A real mix of locals and newbies and passers through that haven't quite left yet. The mine shutting down has been tough on the economy.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
The economy there appears to be dying a slow and prolonged death. But if your brother has an income stream, that shouldn't matter much. Its a beautiful place. They have a nice hospital. The retail sector in town appears to be a free fall. Internet has killed the "mom and pop" stores in small rural areas.

I usually drive through Salmon once a year. Will be taking a trip through their mid-August.

Jordan
Posted By: Steve Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Only been there a couple times in the Summer getting ready for float trips but it seems like a nice town.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Good hunting and fishing, also camping and hiking areas. Skiing and snowmobiles are enjoyed by many there in the winter.

There are a lot of retired cops who have moved to Idaho.

L.W.

Posted By: Lonny Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
I could live there.
Posted By: ribka Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
beautiful area.
Definitely worse areas to live/ retire in the US.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Originally Posted by Dutch
If he's single, it won't be hard to stay single.....

A real mix of locals and newbies and passers through that haven't quite left yet. The mine shutting down has been tough on the economy.

Thompson Creek shut down?

Sycamore

Posted By: EdM Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/21/15
Wife ready for the move? Recall you had a trip planned with here to one of the Rocky Mountain states.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
Bring your own money, bring your own woman.

If TV matters why bother? Have a hobby from fly fishing to PPC that gets you out of the house and by that I mean out of town. Watch for cabin fever when it doesn't seem worthwhile to go outside in the cold.

Have enough money to be able to get out of town any time you want for as long as you want - even if it's just to Missoula to the north or the arc from Rexburg to Pocatello to the south - college towns may help a lonely man's social life. For a lot of people this implies a deluxe truck camper or better. Better yet a light plane and the willingness to leave the plane and go back for it later when the weather turns.

Nice place if you've always wanted your own string of horses but see above about getting out of town.

Research Idaho preference points and drawings for tags if your dream is to live like Elmer Keith it's too late for that.

I wouldn't count on growth to bail out a bad real estate investment.

IMHO it's a great place to be based but a nasty place to be trapped.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
IMHO it's a great place to be based but a nasty place to be trapped.
That's true of many small towns, not only in Idaho. I can think of any number of very attractive small towns in the NW that would never let you leave because you could never sell your house to go.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Thompson Creek shut down?

Sycamore

yup, when they sold the moly mine and it got raided and shut down, the air got let out of any momentum the economy was building. Too bad. I like the area.

I wouldn't worry too much about tags if you lived in Salmon. No one else seems to worry much about them...... wink
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
When did it close? As late as March, 2015, they were still working on a land exchange with the BLM. Their website is still running and looking like the mine is going full bore.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
I have been fishing and hunting there for the last 5 years every fall. About 10 weeks total so a limited frame of reference. It is a small town w/ lots to offer. If you live for the outdoors, prefer a white, conservative environment and are financially independent it may be ideal. If we were 10 years younger we would move there or Cody,Wy.

mike r
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
Salmon is a great place to retire, a lousy place to work. And you need to like isolation.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/22/15
a lot less trees than I imagined.

Sycamore
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/23/15
Spent a day and night there about 15 years ago. Liked it, moved on. Fella could do worse, and probably better, but the local scenery is good. Deer weren't very bright, prone to stand in the road and stare.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Salmon Idaho - 07/23/15
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Spent a day and night there about 15 years ago. Liked it, moved on. Fella could do worse, and probably better, but the local scenery is good. Deer weren't very bright, prone to stand in the road and stare.
Mule deer. They'll do that during the off season.
© 24hourcampfire