Home
Most likely some other fire members were too. grin

My sister came for a visit and we got out the family albums and she pulled out this gem. One of the many chores I did on the family farm.

[Linked Image]

Lots of guys here just seem obsessed with teats, don’t know about the stripping part.

Me? I’m not a bad stripper myself

[Linked Image]

....shamelessly as well. grin
So after the machine comes off, you had to get the very last drop.

That was my old man's philosophy also.

Been there and done that!
Back in the day, one of the guys stationed with me in San Antonio moonlighted as a stripper at one of the bigger bars in town. Not sure he made a full career out of the military, but he did have some fun!
roundoak, how did those "Chuck Conners" work out for a farm boy?
Chuck Taylors,,no?
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
So after the machine comes off, you had to get the very last drop.

That was my old man's philosophy also.

Been there and done that!

That and some cows come up with sore teats and also checked for mastitis.
Originally Posted by lightning
roundoak, how did those "Chuck Conners" work out for a farm boy?

I think "rong" was correct...converse Chuck Taylor. They were cheap, cow schit did not eat them up like leather and Mom would wash them in bucket and hang them up to dry on the clothes line.
You guys are right, Chuck Taylors, how could I forget. That's what happens when you reach your mid 60's! I also liked the railroad hat.
Originally Posted by lightning
You guys are right, Chuck Taylors, how could I forget. That's what happens when you reach your mid 60's! I also liked the railroad hat.

Dad wore those train engineer hats all the time and I wanted to be like Dad.
You guys were uppity farmers with those milkers. Milked our cows by hand.

City girls bought the old mastitis checking thing, but it didn't work often on farm girls. But when it did! grin GW
Yep, we were uppity farmers alright, but it was a more dangerous business when the milking machines came on the farm. Some of those cows went ballistic when you first put the teat cups on. mad
Cool pic. The only thing missing is the cat hanging around waiting for a squirt. ;-{>8
I learned to play the Blue Danube Waltz on 4 teats. smile
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

Did you make sweet or sour cream butter?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I learned to play the Blue Danube Waltz on 4 teats. smile

I would liked to have heard that. grin
Originally Posted by eyeball
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Cool pic. The only thing missing is the cat hanging around waiting for a squirt. ;-{>8

You are right, I am surprised there was not some cats in the picture.
we made butter for farm use. I remember churning the stuff in an old wooden churn. Still have it too, sitting in my front room.
How old are you, Sam? Churning butter!!!! That has not been done around these parts since the Korean War. grin Wait I should take that back, some hippies moved in this area back in the 1960's and they churned butter as what they called it....a cottage industry. They didn't stay long, though.

That churn should be a cherished heirloom.
well ,did you ever see a black snake suck milk from a cow. my dad showed that to me twice when i was about 8-9.
Cool pick Wayne, how long did it take to grow into the length on those jeans? grin

FWIW, I never grew into mine as a kid either, seemed like the cool thing to do........
Ah, no. We have the Eastern Milk snake here that folklore has it stealing milk from cows. Herpetologist's claim it is nonsense. The snakes are in the barn after rodents.
Paul, Mom tried her best to make the jeans last with patches, but I grew like a weed so she could not keep up with me.
My brothers and I milked 4-6 cows by hand twice a day and then ran it through a cream separator. The skim was fed to pigs, the cream went to town and was sold.
I am 64 now and this milking was in the 60s.
I hated it at the time but I suppose it built character and work ethic.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ah, no. We have the Eastern Milk snake here that folklore has it stealing milk from cows. Herpetologist's claim it is nonsense. The snakes are in the barn after rodents.

I'm in your era, a dairy farm raised boy also behind the cheddar curtain. Had an old guy tell me years ago about snake milching a cow. He swore that it was true, but then again he also told me about a boy that wandered off and was found hypnotized by a snake and was never right upstairs after that. So......... do love the ld pic and memories. We did not have political correctness, illegals, nor a foreign born president back then!
Of course you saved some of that milk for the house. grin
Our well went dry in the '70's and dad sold the milch cows then. I still have the separator and milk filters that we used as kids. We made our own butter, too. But I don't know where the churn ended up. Maybe one of my sisters has it.The cream separator lives by my woodstove now as decoration. Crank on the handle and milk came outta one spout, cream outta the tuther.

[Linked Image]

We used one-legged milch stools....
Of course you saved some of that milk for the house. grin

We churned butter on rare occasion - just to reinforce the work ethic thing I would imagine! Also made our own ice cream. Great taste and well worth the effort.
Originally Posted by Topstock

I'm in your era, a dairy farm raised boy also behind the cheddar curtain. Had an old guy tell me years ago about snake milching a cow. He swore that it was true, but then again he also told me about a boy that wandered off and was found hypnotized by a snake and was never right upstairs after that. So......... do love the ld pic and memories. We did not have political correctness, illegals, nor a foreign born president back then!

We did not have Woodstock either. laugh

My sister came for a visit and we got out the family albums and she pulled out this gem. One of the many chores I did on the family farm.

[Linked Image]

Well, I guess I was a stripper too. Then we got 'Surge Milkers' and didn't need to strip anymore. The cats went on strike!
Huntsman, what brand is the seperator? My Great Granddad sold McCormick Deering out of his general store. I have one of his salesman samples.
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

[Linked Image]

Well, I guess I was a stripper too. Then we got 'Surge Milkers' and didn't need to strip anymore. The cats went on strike!

laugh

You don't need to answer this, but did you ever feed a dog a milk strainer filter?

[Linked Image]

laugh

You don't need to answer this, but did you ever feed a dog a milk strainer filter?

YES! After every filter change. As I recall, I had to put on gloves a couple of times to help him eliminate them! crazy grin crazy
How old are you, Sam? Churning butter!!!! That has not been done around these parts since the Korean War. grin Wait I should take that back, some hippies moved in this area back in the 1960's and they churned butter as what they called it....a cottage industry. They didn't stay long, though.

That churn should be a cherished heirloom.

just turned 69. Here is the churn. I bet it would still work. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laugh

YES! After every filter change. As I recall, I had to put on gloves a couple of times to help him eliminate them! crazy grin crazy

LMAO here...
Sam, that is an awesome heirloom.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Lots of guys here just seem obsessed with teats, don’t know about the stripping part.

[Linked Image]

What am I looking at?
New Prima No.2 made in Finland
Roundoak

Interesting that your udderly historic thread came up just now.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a bunch of my Dad's old milk cans in my shed. So I decided to decorate one of them with our old farm scene. Just finished it a couple of days ago.

All the buildings are gone now except the house.

WN

[Linked Image]
Holy cow, WN you got talent. cool

Am I looking at fieldstone barn walls?
Thanks, Roundoak. But, the curvature of the milk can distorts the image BIG time. Lesson learned.

Yup. Fieldstone, 2 feet thick...warm in winter, cool in summer! We got lots of it around here. AND, that's no bull! grin

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]

What am I looking at?

That’s king salmon strips, almost finished.

In regard to the engineer’s caps that were once quite common on farms, I would imagine that perhaps that was a leftover from the days of steam (which was well before the days of free feed, seed, and implement brand cap giveaways).
Originally Posted by Barkoff

[Linked Image]

What am I looking at?

That’s king salmon strips, almost finished.

Should have noticed you are in AK. Us city slickers cut them the other way to fit in our little store bought smokers. smile
Huntsman, what brand is the seperator? My Great Granddad sold McCormick Deering out of his general store. I have one of his salesman samples.

I picked this one up a couple of months ago. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!

Hauling canned milk would have been a tough job, not only the labor part but navigating the roads winter and spring plus farm roads and barnyards. We had a Ford 8N that we could attach a 3-point platform with sides that we hauled hogs around the farm. If the farm road got to bad we would haul the cans out to the main road to meet the milk truck.

Did your milk truck have a whey tank mounted on the truck box? I don't remember how many days in the week that we took a delivery of whey. We had a livestock water tank with two exit pipes with shutoffs that directed the whey into the troughs of two seperate hog pens.
Originally Posted by 280shooter

I picked this one up a couple of months ago. [Linked Image]

Cool beans, 280Shooter. It looks like the salesman sample I have. It has good detail, the hand crank works and bucket platform swivels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spent a lot of time on dairy farms in Northern , Wisconsin. The township had 102 farms at one time , now there are 2.
The best thing raised was rocks. Spent time pickin" rocks on little 7- 20 acre fields, or there-abouts.
I often remind my cousin , he sold the cows 15 years ago, about things like spreadin' $hit with chains on the tractor and - 30 in 3 feet of snow. $hit spreader would freeze up. Barn cleaner would break a link or take a $hit. Silo unloader would crap out. Hauled milk cans to milk house on a sled in the winter and wagon the rest of the year. Before pipelines and bulk tanks of course.
Yeah,
50 years a farmer and never stepped in $hit.
Of course we are on the tall stool when we talk of these memories.
We also had a De Laval separator that we used for more years than care to remember. And I DON'T have any pictures of that miserable thing.
That is very cool.
Anyone remember using one of these labor saving devices?

We used it to haul full milk cans from the barn to the milk house and whey cans out back to the pig barn.

[Linked Image]
This is a great thread.

I can also say I served my time milking with both DeLaval and Surge milkers. Also have milked by hand more than I care to admit, but feel a little embarrassed lamenting it when I remember my Grandfather was doing it yet in his eighties.

I don't remember what brand our separator was but I remember it had a bell on it to let you know you were turning it fast enough.

Roundoak, what breed of cows are those in the picture?
Nope, very innovative though.
Idared, Guernsey breed.
Idared, Guernsey breed.

Thanks, I thought they were but couldn't tell for sure. My wife grew up milking Guernsey cows in Minnesota but everything around where I grew up in Wisconsin was pretty much Holstein.

[Linked Image]

Youse Betcha! Been there and done that!
Originally Posted by Idared
Idared, Guernsey breed.

Thanks, I thought they were but couldn't tell for sure. My wife grew up milking Guernsey cows in Minnesota but everything around where I grew up in Wisconsin was pretty much Holstein.

Guernsey cows gave less milk but higher butterfat than Holsteins.
Neat pics and thread.

The only milking we do is either working a bad bag or a bitch heifer who won't take her calf.

Pain in the ass for sure but it has to be done.

Squeeze chute and rope a leg or you might get the chit kicked outta you!
Dairy Farmers as a group are the hardiest working farmers
alive!
we got whey back from the cheese factory milk truck.
For years I thought whey back was one word.
Idared, Guernsey breed.

In my neck of the woods for years it was dotted with small farms and the Guernsey and Jersey breeds were popular in the 15 - 30 milk cow herds. We actually had a 40 cow stanchion barn. Later, Granddad and Dad built a calf barn and moved out the calves and added another 20 stanchions. County extension agents and banks began encouraging farmers to get bigger and take advantage of economy of scale. Gdad and Dad figured rather than add more cows (Guernsey's) bring Holstein's into the herd because the breed can out produce the Jersey's and Guernsey's. That worked good in theory, however the more Holstein's were added the milk check went down because Holstein's produce lower butterfat.

To bring the milk check back up they were faced with going back to Guernsey's or increase the size of the barn to increase production. They did not want to keep up with the Jones's and go into debt so they sold the milk cows and focused on crops and beef cattle.

Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
we got whey back from the cheese factory milk truck.
For years I thought whey back was one word.

laugh
Roundoak

Were there any Milking Shorthorn herds near you?

My uncle who lived near Sauk City had a herd of them for several years but eventually switched to Holsteins.
Roundoak

Were there any Milking Shorthorn herds near you?

My uncle who lived near Sauk City had a herd of them for several years but eventually switched to Holsteins.

Yes, as a matter of fact, a Great Uncle had a herd circa 1930 - 1965 near Lancaster, WI. His daughters showed them at the local and state fair.
Roundoak

Interesting that your udderly historic thread came up just now.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a bunch of my Dad's old milk cans in my shed. So I decided to decorate one of them with our old farm scene. Just finished it a couple of days ago.

All the buildings are gone now except the house.

WN

[Linked Image]

How many 22 barrels got fried shooting sparrows and starlings off that barn roof? whistle
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

How many 22 barrels got fried shooting sparrows and starlings off that barn roof? whistle [/quote]

grin My Remington 512A with open sights and I went through about a brick per month. $5.00 a brick for yellow carton Super X's at the local feed mill.

Gophers and barn pigeons got hammered, too! We had the fattest cats around! Even the neighbor's cats would show up when they heard shooting. crazy

WN, with all that shoot'n going on who patched the barn roof? grin
Head shots! grin

Originally Posted by Chainsaw

Hauling canned milk would have been a tough job, not only the labor part but navigating the roads winter and spring plus farm roads and barnyards. We had a Ford 8N that we could attach a 3-point platform with sides that we hauled hogs around the farm. If the farm road got to bad we would haul the cans out to the main road to meet the milk truck.

Did your milk truck have a whey tank mounted on the truck box? I don't remember how many days in the week that we took a delivery of whey. We had a livestock water tank with two exit pipes with shutoffs that directed the whey into the troughs of two seperate hog pens.

No whey tank on the truck but I did hear the "ol timers" tell me about it on many occasion. Had a snowplow and chains on one of the rear duals on each side the truck in the winter and helped out many a stuck vehicle with a tow and they followed me down the road if the county was not out. Can remember a time when 20 some vehicles followed me out to the main hwy. Could always move in the snow but steering could sometimes be tough.
I can remember the milk trucks using chains when it got bad, plus there were a couple trucks that had "sanders" mounted just behind the fuel saddle tanks that dropped sand in front of the duals. I think they were used just to get traction from a starting stop then turned off.
© 24hourcampfire