Home
Too stupid to take a crap correctly
I hate cyclists who still crap.
Bilbao said the man came forward and told the BLM he might be responsible for the blaze. The man's story matched "evidence" found at the scene, according to investigators.

They did a DNA analysis of the poop?
It was a stupid thing to do but you can't blame all cyclists for one bonehead. If the subject is doing stupid stuff on public land and trashing the place, hunters as a group may be the worst. At least from what I've seen.
I hate cyclists because they tend to run in packs, and block traffic. Down in Miami, it's epidemic and dangerous.
I'm sure some cyclists say the same about hunters. They just get drunk and shoot up the place.
smokepole
Exactly
A couple years ago my partner and I were hiking up a popular trail toward a good hunting area. The area is full of liberal anti's and Idaho doesn't require orange so we weren't wearing it to keep from attracting any more attention than necessary. A couple hunter-hating cyclists came by and asked why we weren't wearing orange. I asked why he wasn't. He said because he wasn't hunting although he was running around the woods during an open season. He couldn't get down the concept that I was the one with the gun and I wasn't likely to shoot myself. If a hunter was to do something really stupid, HE was the one in danger.
Worst part of the whole thing, WHO... BLM??? made him think he needed to burn the TP... the stuff is gone in the first rain...

What an idiot.

Many idiots abound. Not only cyclists.

But there seem to be a large portion, I managed to finally get my wife to quit riding bike on the road on fundraisers for sure, just to many stupid bike riders won't get out of way for cars, demand the ROW all the time and so on. Then TX put a stupid rule in effect you have to clear them by 3 plus feet IIRC, all due to arrogant cheating lance that would ride int he middle of the road and got clipped one day.....

I liked to bike and really should start again, but it'll be only on the farm, most roads are not places for bikers, but I digress
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple hunter-hating cyclists came by and asked why we weren't wearing orange.

Should've asked him if he was law enforcement, and when he said "no" told him to piss up a rope.
Well, i am glad they arent vying for deer and elk tags, but they all too often want you to drive to work at their bike play speed.
Originally Posted by rost495

But there seem to be a large portion, I managed to finally get my wife to quit riding bike on the road on fundraisers for sure, just to many stupid bike riders won't get out of way for cars, demand the ROW all the time and so on. Then TX put a stupid rule in effect you have to clear them by 3 plus feet IIRC, all due to arrogant cheating lance that would ride int he middle of the road and got clipped one day.....

I liked to bike and really should start again, but it'll be only on the farm, most roads are not places for bikers, but I digress

I agree, edited out your post a little while agreeing. grin

I don't have anything against the bicycles themselves, just the large majority of riders. Cycling is great exercise, (I used to ride a Mtn bike a lot) but they've got little business on the pavement. This "share the road" BS is drives me nuts. The roads weren't designed for them, nor PAID for by their use of bicycles. If they stuck to safer, less used gravel roads I wouldn't have a problem. But seeing a $5K bike with a trust-funder on top dressed skin tight costume hogging the middle of the lane I'm trying to drive on pisses me off.
Originally Posted by 222Rem

I agree, edited out your post a little while agreeing. grin

I don't have anything against the bicycles themselves, just the large majority of riders. Cycling is great exercise, (I used to ride a Mtn bike a lot) but they've got little business on the pavement. This "share the road" BS is drives me nuts. The roads weren't designed for them, nor PAID for by their use of bicycles. If they stuck to safer, less used gravel roads I wouldn't have a problem. But seeing a $5K bike with a trust-funder on top dressed skin tight costume hogging the middle of the lane I'm trying to drive on pisses me off.

We call em "Power Rangers".
Worst part of the whole thing, WHO... BLM??? made him think he needed to burn the TP... the stuff is gone in the first rain...

What an idiot.

Had a friend (we parted ways years ago) one time pissing and moaning about biking, cars, and the ROW and told me he would hold his ground when it came to biking and his ROW, I told him he was correct t that he did legally have the ROW but what good was it when he was fuuking dead because a car hit him.
The bikers remind me a lot of the kayakers these days.

Nothing against either, I"ve used and will continue to use both.

But its like they've decided they have seen the light and all others should bow to them.

IMHO I can't stand the ROW issues of pedestrians.... here in the country, we wait to walk across anywhere until its clear... when I drive in the city and they step out in front of you and glare while you are stopping..... well it doesn't help my mental train any...

What is it about common sense that you should give the larger vehicles room and row....
...they've got little business on the pavement. This "share the road" BS is drives me nuts. The roads weren't designed for them, nor PAID for by their use of bicycles. If they stuck to safer, less used gravel roads I wouldn't have a problem. But seeing a $5K bike with a trust-funder on top dressed skin tight costume hogging the middle of the lane I'm trying to drive on pisses me off.

If people get this 'bothered' and 'pissed off' over somebody riding a bicycle on the road, then they've got even bigger issues that should concern them even more.
Same thing happened a couple years ago on the Salmon River, except it was rafter trying to burn TP in August. A doctor no less...

About 10 years ago, an old feller and wife from PA, started a whole rash of fires when the trailer they were towing had a flat and they didn't notice it. Once the tire wore down to the rim, sparks started igniting roadside grass. One helluva big burn. Numerous motorists tried stopping the guy but he was oblivious to what he was doing for many miles. He came real close to being prosecuted from what I remember.

What always amazes me this time of the year is seeing people throw smoldering cigarettes out the window. They should be seriously fined and spend some jail time for that.
they are parasites on the American highways.. I despise them..
Originally Posted by Lonny
Same thing happened a couple years ago on the Salmon River, except it was rafter trying to burn TP in August. A doctor no less...

About 10 years ago, an old feller and wife from PA, started a whole rash of fires when the trailer they were towing had a flat and they didn't notice it. Once the tire wore down to the rim, sparks started igniting roadside grass. One helluva big burn. Numerous motorists tried stopping the guy but he was oblivious to what he was doing for many miles. He came real close to being prosecuted from what I remember.

What always amazes me this time of the year is seeing people throw smoldering cigarettes out the window. They should be seriously fined and spend some jail time for that.
Was that trailer the one that started the 5 mile long fire near Banks? It was a lot longer than 10 years ago but the burn is a long way from growing back. It turned into a real cooker.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I hate cyclists.

Knock me over with a feather.

The bikers remind me a lot of the kayakers these days.

Nothing against either, I"ve used and will continue to use both.

But its like they've decided they have seen the light and all others should bow to them.

It's the attitude that accompanies liberalism..............
"what's mine is mine and what's yours is ours." mad

Since two years back at age 56 I ride a bicycle at just about every opportunity, literally they have had a transformational effect on my health and outlook. For most of us we don't get old so much as we get fat and sedentary.

If I didn't ride pavement there would be hardly any place to ride.

I figure anytime I might get run over it'll always be on the losing end, whatever the law might say, and I ride accordingly.

I ride with traffic, against traffic, on the roadside dirt, on the sidewalk, with lights/vest, without lights/vest dependent upon the locality. Whatever will make me least likely to have a problem and/or get run over. I'm all over my mirrors, and I'll bail clear off of the asphalt at the slightest provocation.

I don't much care what people zipping by in cushy, air conditioned comfort think, one way or another. OTOH I never hold up traffic either, and I find those who do to be rank morons.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm sure some cyclists say the same about hunters. They just get drunk and shoot up the place.

yea, but this is more of a hunter's forum than a cyclist forum.

and i fit both categories, so i am an expert, and qualified to comment of the subject!

ked whistle
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Since two years back at age 56 I ride a bicycle at just about every opportunity, literally they have had a transformational effect on my health and outlook. For most of us we don't get old so much as we get fat and sedentary.

If I didn't ride pavement there would be hardly any place to ride.

I figure anytime I might get run over it'll always be on the losing end, whatever the law might say, and I ride accordingly.

I ride with traffic, against traffic, on the roadside dirt, on the sidewalk, with lights/vest, without lights/vest dependent upon the locality. Whatever will make me least likely to have a problem and/or get run over. I'm all over my mirrors, and I'll bail clear off of the asphalt at the slightest provocation.

I don't much care what people zipping by in cushy, air conditioned comfort think, one way or another. OTOH I never hold up traffic either, and I find those who do to be rank morons.

Birdwatcher

Birdy, I don't doubt for one second you are the type of bike rider I'm really well and happy with. Ride like I rode when I did. In fact the road right here is NOT safe to ride a bike on, too many small hills and curves so when we did, we'd drive about 5 miles to get to a 22 mile round trip ride that had small shoulders. Mind your mirror, your size, yielding ROW, and all was well.

I have a guy, fairly sure I know exactly who he is under all the spandex and thats not a dig, you have to be comfortable to ride all the time, but he'll ride the worst of our road on out past, so he can get a long loop... he rides all over the road as needed, its not that big of a deal, but he could choose a bit better road than our stretch IMHO, and thats not because I'm anti at all, as noted our stretch is dangerous. Hell I'm one of the ones that comes and picks up the pieces now and then when the pager goes off.

RE fire starting... since I'm OT a bit... had one in a drought, and burn ban get pissed off at a family shindig, and pack up his burning bbq pit on trailer, hit it once with a house and drive some 20 miles home... caught him coming into town over the river bridge. I hope the SOB is still in the pen.... 20 miles of fires sucks. Especially when I have better things to do... and almost burned one of our secretery's houses to the ground in the process with a few others...

Morons are morons, no matter what. But I find that quite a few of certain types tend to make the rest look really bad, and it goes in spades. Literally too.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Lonny

Was that trailer the one that started the 5 mile long fire near Banks? It was a lot longer than 10 years ago but the burn is a long way from growing back. It turned into a real cooker.

That Banks fire was eastern tourist's in a motorhome pulling a car with a flat tire about 20 years ago.

The flood in 96 that wiped out the entire community of Banks II was worsened because of that fire.
I saw a program on Discovery Channel that blamed over logging never mentioning the fire.
So much for truth on the DC
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hate cyclists.

LMAO
That's pretty stupid.
Originally Posted by 700LH

It happens.

What you do is exhale slowly under pressure through clenched lips, its like holding your breath except that you dont feel te effects of oxygen deprivation so fast. Usually doing that you can wait for clear air before you have to breath again.

I'm mostly impressed with the magnitude of the hill those cyclists were climbing cool

As for the d&&kweeds in the truck, who would want to be them?

Birdwatcher

I was driving on a road popular with cyclists this morning. They all got over to the right as far as they could when they heard me coming. If everybody was like birdy and the ones I drove by today, there wouldn't be any issues. It's just common sense and common courtesy.

It's also a sign of the times. Not only with bikes, with just about everything. Seems that these days there are more people than ever who are "blissfully unaware that other people are using the planet."

I'd put the Cummins driver in that category. Looks more like "Cummins vs everybody else."

Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hate cyclists.

LMAO

there is a certain amount of humor there.
However, If you find yourself surrounded by 75 of them, blocking the road and stopping traffic, you too might be less than pleased with 'em. smile
It's also a sign of the times. Not only with bikes, with just about everything. Seems that these days there are more people than ever who are "blissfully unaware that other people are using the planet."

Since I basically started a bitching thread, I'll hijack it by agreeing with your above statement, and adding that it reminded me of my typical shopping experience in Oregon Costcos (Idaho is usually better..........for now). Well over half the shoppers are running the wrong way on the wide isles, like they're used to driving in Europe or something. And they've got a [bleep] attitude when it comes to getting out of others' way while blocking the major intersections. I finally figured out it's actually a game of peripheral vision chicken..............just keep walking, while pretending to look off deep right or left. It works. No insurance forms to fill out for the occasional fender bender either. wink
222Rem
When it comes to a sh*tty attitude, it'd be difficult to top yours.
Originally Posted by eyeball
I hate cyclists who still crap.

I think we'll agree that most of us crap, but this guy lit a match in a dry area! He needs a few months (or more) of reflective thinking (in a cell).
Originally Posted by Royce
222Rem

Thanks buddy........

Since I basically started a bitching thread, I'll hijack it by agreeing with your above statement, and adding that it reminded me of my typical shopping experience in Oregon Costcos (Idaho is usually better..........for now). Well over half the shoppers are running the wrong way on the wide isles, like they're used to driving in Europe or something. And they've got a [bleep] attitude when it comes to getting out of others' way while blocking the major intersections. I finally figured out it's actually a game of peripheral vision chicken..............just keep walking, while pretending to look off deep right or left. It works. No insurance forms to fill out for the occasional fender bender either. wink

Would a nice cup of herbal tea help?
smile

BTW; don't blame those who ride bicycles, blame dumbasses.
Originally Posted by Royce
222Rem

Thanks buddy........

the problem is that if your pissed at the world and hit someone on a bike your liable to kill them, thus ruining your miserable life as well. I ride a bike, my wife and I try to ride on the sidewalk as much as possible as people in cars are on their phones, tuning the radio, texting, and generally also pissed off about bike riders.

There are two sets of small minded individuals in any confrontation, one of them is the bike dude or pack of bike dudes that ride in the middle of the road, the other is the angry dude behind the wheel of the 2000 pound car. Keep in mind that a jury will always find that those that wield great power have great responsibility and cool your jets toward idiots on bikes.
We don't get too many cyclists through my area of Mississippi. Evidently Mississippi has a law saying you have to give a cyclist you pass 3' clearance. I'm sure there's not one in a hundred drivers around here that know that. A couple of years ago a guy was hogging the road on a bicycle and a guy in a pickup passed him closer than he liked so he stuck his hand out with three fingers to let the guy know he was unhappy that the guy didn't give him 3'. The guy looked in his mirror, saw the fingers sticking up & interpreted it as another gesture. He turned around, got out of his truck & beat the guy to a pulp. Oh well.
I wish I could recall which pub had the story, but very recently there was a cyclist "run" for some sort of environmental cause. A generous private landowner gave permission for he rather large group to pass through his land. When they had gone, the owner found that they had defecated all over the place without covering, and littering the area with trash. Iirc, the group was composed of mostly "upper crust"types from a couple of liberal cities in the region. Sorry but I cannot recall where I saw the story, but the sheer arrogance of the group(s)in question doesn't speak well. Hypocrites??? Yup.
A mass dumping?

"Alright, listen up everybody! Were here, dismount and chit in this guys field. Remember to leave it conspicuously with lots of paper. We don't want any doubt about our intentions! "
MM, likely they used the area as a rest stop and abused the privilege.I gathered that between that and the trash, the owner has declared all of them "persona non grata"
I hear ya. Just paints a funny mental image. laugh

If it was held on private land and not a public road, I'd guess it was a mountain bike race or cyclocross. The event organizers are to blame for not having adequate facilities and not cleaning up.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
.....the group was composed of mostly "upper crust"types from a couple of liberal cities in the region. Sorry but I cannot recall where I saw the story, but the sheer arrogance of the group(s)in question doesn't speak well. Hypocrites??? Yup.

A couple years ago after finishing a muzzleloader hunt in the mtns, I was heading home in my truck. I passed a group of "upper crusty" looking guys on bikes doing some sort of tour. They were on the side of the road filtering water from a little muddy creek. I had a full 5-gallon jug of water left over, so I stopped and asked them if they needed water. Kind of felt sorry for 'em. The first guy was appreciative and thankful, and he told his other 6 or 7 buddies I had water.

The others lined up to fill their water containers, and nary a one said thank you--they were actually kind of stand-offish. Apparently they thought I was part of their support crew or something.

Then the last guy (also unappreciative) told me he was having trouble keeping up, and asked me if I'd put his bike in my truck and give him a ride to their destination. I asked how far it was and he said about 20 miles on the dirt road out of my way. I told him I was headed in the other direction and needed to get home, and declined. He got whiny and told me he'd give me $100. When I still said no, he was incredulous, I guess I must have looked needy or something. Whiny little SOB was maybe half my age.

Thing is, if they'd been even halfway thankful for a total stranger stopping to help them out, I'd have done it for free.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
We don't get too many cyclists through my area of Mississippi. Evidently Mississippi has a law saying you have to give a cyclist you pass 3' clearance. I'm sure there's not one in a hundred drivers around here that know that. A couple of years ago a guy was hogging the road on a bicycle and a guy in a pickup passed him closer than he liked so he stuck his hand out with three fingers to let the guy know he was unhappy that the guy didn't give him 3'. The guy looked in his mirror, saw the fingers sticking up & interpreted it as another gesture. He turned around, got out of his truck & beat the guy to a pulp. Oh well.

I knew there was a reason I carried that heavy pistol on my lightweight bicycle.
I ain't about to give passing marks to motorists either. Behind a carload of scumbags who poked a broomhandle out of the window and tried to knock a bicyclist off of his bike. Cell phones are nice and I greatly enjoyed watching the NYSP pulling over the car and then taking my witness statement.
ET, thats a sucky thing too, those folks need jail time!

Now that an evening has gone by, I remembered my last driving encounter with bikes.

Around mid March here. I'm driving up to a highway intersection here in town. 2 state highways at a red light. I left about 3 blocks prior.

Bikes would not move out of the intersection to give me complete clearance to make a left turn.

So I hollered out the window some foul words and they just stared at me.

I did have my blinker on also.

I"m not sure what they didnt' get or care about the large long red truck I was in with lights and siren blaring for 3 city blocks prior to the intersection, going to a house fire with possible victim inside.....
Here's my only issue with bicyclists: I live in a rural area with a lot of busy 2 lane blacktop roads with no shoulders. There are plenty of bike trails all over Lincoln (20 min drive away), and a lot of really nice two lane and divided highways with nice wide paved concrete shoulders. Seems like all of the bicyclists insist on riding the no shoulder stuff and impeding traffic.
My wife and I ride quite a bit and usually our rides are about 1/2 gravel and 1/2 on 2 lane paved roads.
The roads out here get a lot of bike traffic on the weekends since there is a nice 50 mile or so loop. Some are A-holes some are friendly. Higher priced the bike the higher chance of being an A-hole IME. People on mid priced bikes seem to be the friendliest.
.....the group was composed of mostly "upper crust"types from a couple of liberal cities in the region. Sorry but I cannot recall where I saw the story, but the sheer arrogance of the group(s)in question doesn't speak well. Hypocrites??? Yup.

A couple years ago after finishing a muzzleloader hunt in the mtns, I was heading home in my truck. I passed a group of "upper crusty" looking guys on bikes doing some sort of tour. They were on the side of the road filtering water from a little muddy creek. I had a full 5-gallon jug of water left over, so I stopped and asked them if they needed water. Kind of felt sorry for 'em. The first guy was appreciative and thankful, and he told his other 6 or 7 buddies I had water.

The others lined up to fill their water containers, and nary a one said thank you--they were actually kind of stand-offish. Apparently they thought I was part of their support crew or something.

Then the last guy (also unappreciative) told me he was having trouble keeping up, and asked me if I'd put his bike in my truck and give him a ride to their destination. I asked how far it was and he said about 20 miles on the dirt road out of my way. I told him I was headed in the other direction and needed to get home, and declined. He got whiny and told me he'd give me $100. When I still said no, he was incredulous, I guess I must have looked needy or something. Whiny little SOB was maybe half my age.

Thing is, if they'd been even halfway thankful for a total stranger stopping to help them out, I'd have done it for free.

THIS kind of attitude/behavior is what irks me...........along with thinking SxS riding is their right. I've got a couple mountain bikes and have been riding bicycles since I was 5-6yrs old. This thread got a little derailed, and I'm to blame I guess. As others have said, it's the dumbasses that are to blame, and I'll admit to lumping everyone into the same group. I get a disproportionate number of cyclists in my otherwise very rural county (they're also invited to come take up our town every summer), so I'm fed up with most of 'em. But I'm probably seeing only the "upper crusters" as you're calling them. The ones who wear neon shrink-wrap and think the world (and pavement) belongs to them. "Normal" folks who just want to ride for exercise I'm fine with, and am one myself.

I'll bow out now and hope this thread dies a quiet death.......... eek
I'd be okay if bicyclists were like the dispatch riders I used to see in San Fransicko. At least that talented, and that aware....
I gave up road bikes for MTBs years ago because of the lack of places to safely ride, the gutters, the potholes the gravel the wood rocks glass cactus -- the last straw was getting conked by some bark hanging from a log truck on a wide shoulder. Just a swat, but that was enough. Coulda been a jill-poke.
But I am annoyed beyond belief at the numbskulls who insist on riding the secondary yet busy roads with no shoulder and then riding side by side, regardless of blind curves and other scary stuff.
Then there are the towns that put bike lanes on the main arteries rather than a block over. WTF are these idiots thinking?
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
they are parasites on the American highways.. I despise them..

So do I, mainly because they remind me of what a disgusting fat body I am.

THIS kind of attitude/behavior is what irks me...........along with thinking SxS riding is their right. I've got a couple mountain bikes and have been riding bicycles since I was 5-6yrs old. This thread got a little derailed, and I'm to blame I guess. As others have said, it's the dumbasses that are to blame, and I'll admit to lumping everyone into the same group. I get a disproportionate number of cyclists in my otherwise very rural county (they're also invited to come take up our town every summer), so I'm fed up with most of 'em. But I'm probably seeing only the "upper crusters" as you're calling them. The ones who wear neon shrink-wrap and think the world (and pavement) belongs to them. "Normal" folks who just want to ride for exercise I'm fine with, and am one myself.

I'll bow out now and hope this thread dies a quiet death.......... eek

I'm INORDINATELY courteous, and helpful with our local herd of folks, driving in exactly the same sorta' roads here that SmokePole just described to a T.

Ironic that it's all of the little hybrids and roller skate sized "Environmentally Friendly" cars that do not give them room.
I set whichever one of my old 5.9 Cummins Dodge I happen to be driving's tires on the centerline if there's oncoming,....if there's not oncoming I go over and hug the ditch in that lane, and will sit over on that side for a LONG run ahead of the bicycle column. I'm getting LOTS of friendly waves from the regular local enthusiasts, I wave back.

This arrogant road hogging Two abreast chit,.......Hey I slow right down and wait, and I'll wait as long as it takes to make a safe and sane pass.....again, being honked off and passed by idiots in brand new vehicles, that are late for their Walmart coffee or something equally important.

Once I can pass ?

......How far I stick my foot into one of these black smoke spouting, low RHS exhausting old beasts is entirely determined by the level of reciprocal courtesy in play. All of my "Kickdowns" are disabled, and I can shift into a very HIGH gear at 20 MPH, and unleash an awful concentrated cloud of fermented dinosaur concentrates, without any deleterious effects to MY driveline.

Do as you would be done by,....

SHARE the road.

GTC

It bothers me to see bicyclists blamed for congestion. There are many different sets of manners among drivers and riders in this country. It's said a rolling stop at a stop sign is properly called a California stop because California drivers will give another driver a second but don't allow any hesitation to merge. When cultures conflict so do people. Coming to a full dead stop at the start of a climb is a real pain on a bicycle especially combined with a major shift in gearing to start up the hill from a dead stop.

For my money there are roads such as going up Deer Creek Canyon from west of Denver towards Conifer that bicyclists can be expected and should be given every consideration. Long time ago when I was young I would regularly commute from Conifer CO to Evergreen and back on a bicycle - then they brought 285 up to interstate standards and folks moved in to the community everybody in a hurry nobody willing to wait a second even in a supermarket parking lot.

I learned I had to avoid traffic by cutting west through Clear Creek County, Black Creek or Blue Creek. As I heard folks complain about bicyclists holding up the commuters from Denver who jammed the road I was often tempted to find out when somebody commuted so I could be out there with a 20 foot trailer instead of a bicycle.

One of the many reasons I don't live in Colorado or Boise for that matter - nobody around here can afford a carbon fiber frame and Spandex so maybe that's a plus too.
Greg - wish you had made Q, would have liked to see you.
Had a fairly $$$ intensive go-round with my water well, last month, Mark.
A failed coupling dropped that small bore solar powered sucker rod pump and it's 135 feet of lift pipe down a 200' hole.
Had to pull the centrifugal TWICE, and did some heart in the mouth "fishing",....
All's back up, and running again, but the funds I had (and some I didn't) set aside for dangling over in that direction
vanished,...Muy Pronto like.

So it goes,....

GTC
© 24hourcampfire