Home
Posted By: eyeball Austin crazies - 07/28/15
http://www.iamatexan.com/2015/07/25/321austin-city-council-votes-to-ban-bbq-restaurants/
Posted By: g5m Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
I'd have read it except for all the ads that kept popping up to block viewing.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Social Nazis.

Go to the Austin City council meeting and tell them you can't stand the odor of local pot shop, or the 50 pot plants next door, they'll tell you it's legal.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Hope it passes just so we get to hear Austin whine when all the BBQ moves out of the area..
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15

BBQ belongs in small towns and out of the way places...not waiting in a 5 hour line in downtown Austin. Franklin's may be great but I'll never eat it.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Truer words were never spoken about liberals. They claim they "love...small business." But, as usual with liberals, that's a half-truth. The missing words are:

to regulate

to control

to tax

to ruin

to eliminate
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
The Bolshies are reaping what they have sown!!!!

Damn hard for me to spend money on BBQ anyway when I can make it right hear.

Franklins is only popular because it's the "in" place to eat. (Or stand in line). Hipster joint down in the historically black part of town.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
They had this on the news a while back. The ordinance prohibits excessive smoke within 100' of a residentially zoned area.

The videos and pictures I've seen had a lot of smoke. It's essentially a dude with a trailer parking 30 yards from your house every day and building a giant fire.

The ordinance sounds ridiculous, but the freaking food trailers all over town are just as ridiculous.
Posted By: add Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
I hate food trailers.
Posted By: deflave Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Sounds like Texas.

Travis
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Truer words were never spoken about liberals. They claim they "love...small business." But, as usual with liberals, that's a half-truth. The missing words are:

to regulate

to control

to tax

to ruin

to eliminate

Ya but most likely this isn't about business so much as it is about the consumption of animal flesh..odor is just the weapon. Live amongst them, you learn how they think. smile

That is why the pot smell of the local pot shop is not a problem.
There's only about two or three places we eat when we havta got to town. Like to the doctor and all. But it seems anyone with a flatbed and old corrugated sheet iron open up a food trailer. Also seems every vacant lot is full of the things!

Me? I look at bbq like some here on the forum look at factory ammo.

I will say that there were some customers that would always bring us guys upstairs some brisket from a place off North Lamar up by that Yellow Rose teat flopping place. It was some good stuff. Name of the place was Stiles Switch bbq. No line and not trendy. Hell that may have all changed now tho.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
They had this on the news a while back. The ordinance prohibits excessive smoke within 100' of a residentially zoned area.

The videos and pictures I've seen had a lot of smoke. It's essentially a dude with a trailer parking 30 yards from your house every day and building a giant fire.

The ordinance sounds ridiculous, but the freaking food trailers all over town are just as ridiculous.

No mention is made in the article that this would apply only to BBQ places within 100' of a residence.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: deflave Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
There's only about two or three places we eat when we havta got to town. Like to the doctor and all. But it seems anyone with a flatbed and old corrugated sheet iron open up a food trailer. Also seems every vacant lot is full of the things!

Me? I look at bbq like some here on the forum look at factory ammo.

I will say that there were some customers that would always bring us guys upstairs some brisket from a place off North Lamar up by that Yellow Rose teat flopping place. It was some good stuff. Name of the place was Stiles Switch bbq. No line and not trendy. Hell that may have all changed now tho.

Nothing's fun any more. It's all trendy and gay.

Bikes, bird hunting, fishing, brisket, fajita, coffee. Fugk, even McDonalds is trying to go chic.

Tequila too. Tequila is supposed to be poured down your throat by a fat Mexican with a whistle so you can wake up in Ohio on an empty airplane and have three airline employees tell you to GET OFF THE PLANE NOW. But no, now we have Jack Bauer gently sipping the schit and reminding us to have no regrets. If I didn't want any regrets, WTF would I drink tequila?

I'm proud of not being a peasant but this schit is getting out of hand.

Travis
Posted By: rem141r Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
wtf happened to austin? i spent the summer of 84 there and it was a funky, freaky, blues, booze and bbq filled good time. now it sounds like fuggen san fran.
Posted By: john843 Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

No mention is made in the article that this would apply only to BBQ places within 100' of a residence.

Birdwatcher

No, it's not mentioned in the article, but if you would research it beyond the 24 Campfire, you would see that is exactly what they are proposing. Within 100' of a residential zoned neighborhood.

John
Originally Posted by rem141r
wtf happened to austin? i spent the summer of 84 there and it was a funky, freaky, blues, booze and bbq filled good time. now it sounds like fuggen san fran.

Here's what started the whole "Keep Austin Weird" shebang!!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Friedman_(politician)

Everything went to total schidt from then on!! I remember this freak and his whole city council! Talk about bolshies!!!! I remember when they tried to outlaw the sale of handguns in the city limits of Austin!!!! A real goat Phook of politicians!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Its a shame that folks as dumb as elected officials can attempt to rescind legal operations.

Banning future ones I can see, but retroactive without grandfathering sounds like federal govt or a lawsuit in the works to me.

That anyone would care about the smell of bbq smoke is also beyond ridiculous.

But as I've said, the good book says it all will end eventually and the road down that path won't be fun....

Pretty sure we took the off ramp already.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Unlike some here I love the food trucks. I've had all kinds of great food at reasonable prices. Taco vendors , soul food , BBQ'S , seafood , American grill food , greek food , you name it and there's a small family cooking it in a trailer or truck. I've had a few disappoint but mostly it's good to great.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
The lines at The Salt Lick in Driftwood just got longer...

Fuggin' Liberals.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The lines at The Salt Lick in Driftwood just got longer...

Fuggin' Liberals.

Salt Lick is good! That's where we usually have BBQ when I visit friends and family in Austin. Ain't no way in hell I'd wait even an hour in line to eat at one of those trendy BBQ joints downtown.

IMO, Austin has gotten a lot closer to being San Franciso, in the last 20 years. Makes me sick at my stomach to see all the weirdos and gays and lesbians down on Sixth Street.
McBrides Gun Store is about as close as I get to downtown Austin, nowadays.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
A place I used to stop in regular, beside McBride's and REI, was the Kirby Lane restaurant on far S. Lamar. 24 hours, great food, great coffee, low prices. Clear back to my single days when I'd bring women there on the back of my bike. Funky old place next to the aquarium shop with the mural of the whales.

They moved, across and down the road, right next to where new condos are going in.

It ain't the same, somehow they killed the buzz.

Birdwatcher
I saw Jr. Brown a couple of years ago in the Continental Club there 4 or 5 years ago, and the crowd seemed pretty normal, as far as Austin goes.

I remember seeing both SRV and Jimmy Vaughn perform there in the old days before they both became famous. Those were the good ole days!!!
Birdy,

That old aquarium shop was originally Austin Taxidermy run by old Lem Rathbone, back in the day! He moved the shop waaaaaaay out on US 290 west in the late 70's. Then he died. I can't remember who took it over. But along about that time is when an employee by the name of Elmer Wayne Cleeson allegedly butchers a pair of Mormon missionaries on the meat saw out there!

We had maintenance employees searching the ditches for evidence. One thing found, two different locations, was a garbage bag of counterfeit 100 dollar bills, and a set of plates! Totally unrelated!
Wow! Guess that would seriously deter the Mormon's on bike patrol from knocking at your door! wink
Posted By: poboy Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
I remember the missionary deal. Kinda lost
interest in that shop.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15

That's because a lot of the fuggen San Fran types moved there... but they are, essentially, surrounded and outnumbered, happily.
That's how he befriended them Neal! They never found a trace of them. Gleeson was busted for lying on a 4473 with a gun purchase from McBrides! He was paroled and moved to England. I rember something else happened to him. Maybe busted him. It was on TV about 20 years ago now.
Ok. Had name wrong but close!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Elmer_Kleason
That's how he befriended them Neal! They never found a trace of them. Gleeson was busted for lying on a 4473 with a gun purchase from McBrides! He was paroled and moved to England. I rember something else happened to him. Maybe busted him. It was on TV about 20 years ago now.

Wow! More proof that Truth is usually stranger than fiction!
Posted By: poboy Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Oh yeah..he had that little Kleason BBQ place in Oak Hill. frown
Originally Posted by poboy
Oh yeah..he had that little Kleason BBQ place in Oak Hill. frown

Hope you didn't eat there, buddy!
Posted By: TXRam Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Tequila too. Tequila is supposed to be poured down your throat by a fat Mexican with a whistle so you can wake up in Ohio on an empty airplane and have three airline employees tell you to GET OFF THE PLANE NOW. But no, now we have Jack Bauer gently sipping the schit and reminding us to have no regrets. If I didn't want any regrets, WTF would I drink tequila?

Travis, you ever make it to Houston, I'll buy the tequila!
Posted By: PVT Re: Austin crazies - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by Whiptail

BBQ belongs in small towns and out of the way places...not waiting in a 5 hour line in downtown Austin. Franklin's may be great but I'll never eat it.

Y'all come out to llano and go to Cooper's for some good bbq. Nobody out this way is worried about the smoke. If you take 29 w through Burnet, give me a shout and I'll go with you. Maybe we could do 'Fire meet up out there.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Austin crazies - 07/29/15
Yep. Cooper's in Llano is the good stuff!
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Austin crazies - 07/29/15

He may have been friends with Elmer Wayne Henley. smile
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Austin crazies - 07/29/15
Ok. Had name wrong but close!

Damn. Surreal. My recollections of that place are out-of-the-ballpark different.

Just goes to show ya, when you're out in the woods you have absolutely no friggin' idea of what might have transpired in the past on any given patch of real estate.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Austin crazies - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. Cooper's in Llano is the good stuff!

Don't forget your wallet!!!
Posted By: deflave Re: Austin crazies - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis, you ever make it to Houston, I'll buy the tequila!

I appreciate that. Because if I'm stuck in Texas, I'm gonna need it.

Travis
Posted By: Texas_Mauser Re: Austin crazies - 07/30/15

Here's what started the whole "Keep Austin Weird" shebang!!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Friedman_(politician)

Everything went to total schidt from then on!! I remember this freak and his whole city council! Talk about bolshies!!!! I remember when they tried to outlaw the sale of handguns in the city limits of Austin!!!! A real goat Phook of politicians!

Great. It seems that every time something awesome goes to [bleep] there is always a name like Friedman, Goldman, Cohen, Silverstein, Trotsky or Leibowitz involved. I swear that tribe is a race of anti-Midases. Instead of turning things to gold, they just swindle all of the gold and turn it to schit instead.
© 24hourcampfire