Home
I am running 8.1 & hate it.
got an offer from microsoft to upgrade my PC from Windows 7 to 10, for free. I can't decide what to do, as I have zero knowledge of Windows 10
We are going to switch the wife's computer over, but I'm giving it a few months before doing so.
I still want to [bleep] punt the entire windows 8 team.

Happily running 7 at work, well as happy as one can be using windows. Hopefully 10 is more akin to 7 as 8 frustrates the crap out of me how it jumps from what you are doing when the mouse gets to the edge of the screen.
What Steelhead said. The free offer starts today, and you have a full year to take advantage of it.

If Win10 is a buggy and quirky as other versions, give it several months for all the upgrades, patches and ohschitts to be installed in it BEFORE you upgrade.

Even then, I'm going to install it in an old netbook now running 7 before I let 10 anywhere NEAR my desktop.
I'm waiting for MS to download to my Computers
Can W10 be put on a stick and run from there or does one have to vacate their current OS?
I'd run Windows NT before I'd run 8 or 8.1.
If you download 10 , then you have one year to convert back to your older version of windows if you don't like it
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd run Windows NT before I'd run 8 or 8.1.

Dittos.
Originally Posted by bea175
If you download 10 , then you have one year to convert back to your older version of windows if you don't like it

You can keep your old health plan if you like it too.
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

I'd ask Christie to share my lunch before running 8.1 again ... mad As to Win 10 .... give it a few months.
Was there ever a "9" or was it rejected so fast that no one saw it?

These upgrades, even for free ware, can be expensive. The upgrade to 7 made about $3,000.00 worth of software unusable, and I've not replaced it.

Running it right now as I type this. So far, it seems to work great, and is very similar to Windows 7. All of my programs work just fine with it.
I'm now running Windows 8.1 and not much difference in 8.1 and 10
Originally Posted by 1minute
Was there ever a "9" or was is rejected so fast that no one saw it?

Never was a 9 ..... maybe someone here can explain why MS skipped it.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can W10 be put on a stick and run from there or does one have to vacate their current OS?

Microsoft has a Media Creation tool for it, which allows you to upgrade the computer you are on, but you can also use it to create an ISO file, or a USB image, to allow for a clean install. Doing so, though, requires a valid product key, which you can currently only get when you perform the upgrade. Once you have upgraded, you can write down your key, create the media, and then perform a clean install.
Originally Posted by Hotload
Was there ever a "9" or was is rejected so fast that no one saw it?

Never was a 9 ..... maybe someone here can explain why MS skipped it.

The theory is that they really wanted distance from the Windows 8/8.1 clusterphuck..........
They can make new programs and sell them for wy to much money but they can't count.
Originally Posted by bea175
I'm waiting for MS to download to my Computers

If you download and run the Media Creation tool, you don't have to wait...........

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
Everything MS releases is in Beta format. Wait 8 - 10 months before loading it to give all of the MS techie minions a chance to find the and report the bugs.

There are legions of basement dwellers that get their jollies identifying bugs in the Windows OS.
Words of wisdom. Again.

"First to adopt" is NEVER a good idea with software in general, and Windows in particular.
I don't know why "new" is always equated with "good", it aint necessarily so. Our son gave my wife a new laptop running 8 and it just made us crazy trying to figure it out, which in fact we never really did completely.

Now they want us to go to yet another new system. Aint gonna do it, we know how to run 7 and do anything we want to do with it, why screw around with something else.
If you download Shell Classic it gives you the old Windows look. Makes Windows 8 a little more palatable.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Was there ever a "9" or was it rejected so fast that no one saw it?

These upgrades, even for free ware, can be expensive. The upgrade to 7 made about $3,000.00 worth of software unusable, and I've not replaced it.

9 was rejected so as to avoid confusion with Win 95/98 etc. Went right to 10. Supposedly they're not releasing an '11' and will keep 10 as THE OS they're going to keep pimping and updating. So it's supposed to be the last Windows. Yeah, right.
I'm running Win 7 pro as long as it has patches, just like I did for XP pro, and W2k pro. Isn't Win 10 an attempt to switch us to a rental os model?
i would wait a year or so. 7 is still patching and quite reliable.
My wife got a laptop for me about 18 mos back, had 8.0 which I immediately brought to 8.1. Hated it at first really liked my old desktop but.... wives get a little pissy if you don't use their special gift to you sooooo,,,,

Gave my desktop to my sister and learned about 8.1. My computer is actually where I am most of the time and I learned as really it is just the unfamiliarity of a new system that gets ya. The only problem I have had is with Google Chrome, ended up knocking all the apps off and running it bare bones, and now the whole system just flies well.

Need to be careful of google, it is like the old AOL that just starts taking over your whole computer. In time, nothing will work well.
NO WINDOWS EVER AGAIN!
Originally Posted by packrat77
If you download Shell Classic it gives you the old Windows look. Makes Windows 8 a little more palatable.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Just in case anyone missed it, Classic Shell solves a lot of Win8 BS, puts a start button back and allows you to turn off that widget jewel crap that pops up if you move the cursor to close to the corners.
My theory is MS Skipped Windows 9 because every OS after a successful one sucks. XP great- Vista sucked, 7- great , 8 sucks...skipping 9 and going to 10 gives it a fighting chance!!!

I am in the tech field but hate new when new OS come out. Windows 8 - server 2012- who is the genius at MS that decided user friendly menu's were outmoded? Wish the designers would leave be and quit building in stuff to 'help' me.

My wife- a definite non-tech has no issues with 8 which only annoys me further. I think its main frustration is that it was written for touch screens. If you don't have one it is not so intuitive.
Just downloaded 10 last nite . So far so good, several issues I was having with 8.1 were fixed. Download took about 60 mins no problems with download. It was like getting a new comp for free.
8 even dropped the ever popular game program that's been in Windows forever. Now it's part of Xbox and you play online...assuming you have a connection to be online. It's very slow to load, too, sometimes taking 2 min or more.
No thank you!

Mac's don't need it!!
"But Macs are so expensive."
[Linked Image]
I'm just sitting here laughing. Hell, I'm still running Win dows XP, and ain't blown anything up yet! grin But I am using firefox and adblocker plus.......

maddog
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

10, plus the classic shell you can download, is supposed to have a much, much lower level of suck compared to 8/8.1

So you are actually a good candidate, assuming your hardware was purchased with 8.1, and is not 'old'...
FWIW, Windows 10 is quite like Windows 7 in terms of interface and seems to be quite solid so far.

also FWIW, their intent is for it to be the last "upgrade".

this means (and there are valid reports) that you'll get it free now with 2 years of "free" updates to it, thereafter you'll have to subscribe to get the updates --- much like they've done with Office suite.
Stuck with whatever schit version work adopts. It blows, to an epic degree.
Question for those who have had 'issues' with Win 8/8.1.

Can you explain exactly what were the issues?

i hated it because it was far less intuitive than W-XP or W7. Things were not where I expected to find them.
Linux works and works. It updates a bit almost every day. Anyone still using Windows no longer has any sympathy from me.
Received this e-mail from Centurylink (internet provider) today.

Sounds as if there might be some issues with Windows 10.

Windows 10 has launched and hidden
your Internet Explorer.
Windows® 10 and Microsoft's® new browser, Edge, replaces your homepage and removes your bookmarks, shortcuts and Internet Explorer icons.
We can help you protect and recover your favorite Internet settings.
Learn More
Nervous about the upgrade to Windows 10® or maybe you just like to stay informed?
Maybe you're cautious. You want to let those early adopters work the bugs out before you make major changes to your computer, phone or tablet.
We understand.
Sign up now for updates on the Windows 10 launch. We will let you know how it's going and how you can minimize unwanted changes to your online experience.
I know that the upgrade is free for the next year. I used to work for a DOE site and the IT department never upgraded any MS software until service pack 2 has been released. Let someone else work out the bugs...

Wait 11 months and then upgrade; service pack one should have been released by then.
© 24hourcampfire