Home
Gotta love it when idiots compose news stories.

If the sheriff believes the round deflected off the armadillo...well, he's an idiot too. shocked

I don't know what he was hitting when shooting the .38, but it was dangerously ricocheting his rounds. It weren't the armadillo though... laugh

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-man-shoots-armadillo-gets-hit-face-bullet-214656503.html

DALLAS (Reuters) - An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face, the county sheriff said on Friday.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, southwest of Texarkana, at around 3 a.m. on Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

"We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.
I've shot armadillos with a .22 rimfire handgun......none of the rounds bounced off.....as a matter of fact....they killed the critter dead as all get out.
Toro caca!!!
Well stated.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Toro caca!!!

Gotta love it!! grin

+1

maddog
Killer 'Diller.
A bb gun will penetrate an armadillo through and through -

Idiots...
Wait 'til he finds out his helicopter ride wasn't covered by insurance.

At least the guys jaw was wired shut. He sounds enough like an idiot that listening to him talk could be trying....
I'd bet that the "unidentified" man's name is Bubba.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

More likely Pedro.............
I am just guessing but after a six pack or three that rock in his back yard might have waddled just like an armadillo.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

More likely Pedro.............

No Pedro would have caught said beast. Tied a piece of rope around his middle so he can't run off. And gut and cleaned him next morning so it would be ready for post Mass BBQ on Sunday afternoon.
SIL in MN stopped when the car in front of her hit a deer. Newby deputy shows up and since the deer wasn't dead, he decided to dispatch it and pulled his service gun. SIL then told him, " hey, you might want to drag it off the asphalt and away from that concrete curb before you start letting loose with rounds. Just saying."

smile
I have to wonder.
Since I have never seen a wild Armadillo and I have never had to live in a State that has them.

What do all of you have against the little guys.

Just askin?

[Linked Image]
I have nothing against them since I saw my first one get into a fire ant nest a chow down. However in my youth they were the baseline for all ballistic tests.
They dig lots and lots of holes. Never where you need one. miles
There's a lesson here. The man was open carrying, and at least one armadillo had its .38 concealed.
Do they make good helmets?
I have to wonder.
Since I have never seen a wild Armadillo and I have never had to live in a State that has them.

What do all of you have against the little guys.

Just askin?

I hate them. Root up your yard (looks almost as bad as where a hog has been) and eat all the fish bait (we have night-crawlers).

I shoot everyone I can. They are considered a pest in La. and are legal to kill all year long.
Leprosy carrier.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Leprosy carrier.

And they root and dig like a wild pig, tearing up gardens and yards.

I don't shoot 'em anymore though. Getting soft in my old age I reckon... smile
The front yard at the farm is dug up somewhat from them.
Hate the skunks (smell)more than the dillos.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Leprosy carrier.

Only if your another armadillo.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There's a lesson here. The man was open carrying, and at least one armadillo had its .38 concealed.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
But....THAT was a Republican armadillo and he was wearing his Anti Trump proof body armor!!
The first I was around them I had just moved to Florida and we had a litter of lab puppies. In the evenings I would put a pand of puppy chow in the pen and then go back inside. Didn't take more than three steps inside the house when the puppies set op a huge cry. I went out back to find the puppies in a corner of their pen and three armadillos chowing down on puppy chow.

Question: Why did the armadillo cross the road?

Answer: Don't be stupid, no armadillo ever made it all the way across a road!
Lived in southern OK for many year way back when and when we found a dead armadillo on the side of the road we would turn him on his back, smash him down so he would stay that way, and balance a beer bottle on his belly. Tourist got a good laugh, then all of a sudden pictures of them started showing up on postcards.
I have thought that the 17HMR and 'dillers were a match made in Heaven.
Just for the benefit of those for who the nine-banded armadillo qualifies as an exotic, here's a photo I captured some years back on one in its natural habitat....

[Linked Image]

Yer welcome,

Birdwatcher
I cut one open one time because it looked pregnant, and it was. It takes a sharp knife to cut that belly skin. I have thought ever since that it would make a good pair of boots if the leather is as tough as that skin was. miles
I never thought a ricochet could make a 90 degree turn, much less turn around and come back to point of origin. Am I mistaken? I think someone is lying. Don't doubt he was injured, but probably not the way he reported. I have investigated a lot of accidents and the first story is often a lie.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just for the benefit of those for who the nine-banded armadillo qualifies as an exotic, here's a photo I captured some years back on one in its natural habitat....

[Linked Image]

Yer welcome,

Birdwatcher

Damn things will sleep anywhere!
Just cause .38s bounce off, it's still a
trying experience.

[Linked Image]

Yer welcome,

Birdwatcher

that looks like a possum on a half shell that we have as a native here in Georgia.
know a couple Hydrashocks out of a 45ACP somewhere in the middle takes about 50 yards of running before they loose steam.....unfortunately wasnt close enough for better aiming than a middle shot and the guy behind me kept yelling shoot the damn thing adding to the stress of the situation laugh

[Linked Image]

Yer welcome,

Birdwatcher

I was once married to a woman from Kansas City, Mo, who believed me when I told her "That's a Texas Poodle. They sleep by the side of the road in the daytime."
^^^ now that's funny!!!^^^
never say never.
I once saw a 22 richochet off a bowling pin,and hit the shooter in the nose.
I have had a hard cast 45 slug come back and hit me in the leg when shooting pins. It stung but didn't stop me from shooting and finishing the round.

That said I have a real hard time believing a 38 slug would bounce off an armadillo and penetrate someone’s jaw. I have a hard time believing anyone else would believe that story.
Wait wait wait.... which armadillo are we talking about?

Four legged armadillo?

[Linked Image]

Or the CV90 Armadillo? I can see a ricochet from this. grin

[Linked Image]
Same thing happened here in GA a while back, but with a 9mm.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wom...-off-armadillo-proof-of-9mm-inferiority/

Worst shot I ever made on an armadillo: I stood on my porch one night and lowered the barrel of my .22 right to it's head and put a chunk of lead into the "X", the two intersecting lines of opposite ears/eyes: that sucker jumped and flopped like a hooked largemouth bass for about 45 seconds and sprayed blood EVERYWHERE!!
when i was a kid, i went armadillo hunting with my grandfather down on the rio grande, i was about 7. he had a big burlap sack he would throw them in after he caught them. he had probably about 5-6 of them in that bag when we were driving back to his house in Mercedes. on the way home we heard a commotion in the back of the truck so he stopped to check it out. he found a wetback all scratched to hell who crawled into that sack to hide.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Same thing happened here in GA a while back, but with a 9mm.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wom...-off-armadillo-proof-of-9mm-inferiority/

Im thinking jr shot through the critter and toward a trailer house screen door.
© 24hourcampfire