Home
Posted By: MadMooner Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Looking to change up cell service and phone.

Currently an old iphone that as of last night, no longer works. Sprint Unlimited plan that was OK, but pricey. Contract is up.

Anybody use a pre-paid or no contract service? I don't mind paying up front for a new device. I use a good bit of data.

What sayeth the 'Fire?
Posted By: Teal Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
I've been with AT&T the last 8 years or so. Can't complain.

Decent price, great coverage where I travel and they've NEVER ever screwed up my bill. Never needed their CS.

I'm happy enough.

Also have their internet in the house - 1/2 the price of cable and no issues there either.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
PuretalkUSA here.

Very happy, good coverage and CS.

Paying about 1/2 of what we were paying to Verizon for 4 phones, data, etc.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
If you don't use a phone much, it's hard to beat Tracfone, especially if you get one with triple minutes. I bought one in March with triple min. My package came with 400 min, 400 texts, and 400 mg of data. Triple each of those. The smart phone plus the time was $130. 5 months later I still have over half of each left. I won't need to buy more time until near Christmas.
I leave the data turned off unless I'm on the road because I get emails, etc. at home. Surfing will eat the data in a hurry.

In this area, at least, Tracfone runs on Verizon's tower network.
If you like your current phone, go to their website and check 'bring your own phone' to find out if it's compatible with their service. You won't get the triple minutes, though. If you don't use data, they have cheaper minutes.
Posted By: savage24 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
I would change too. I have Sprint through my job. I think their coverage may be improving but their customer service sucks. I'm not even paying the bill and I hate them. Based on my experience with Sprint, I honestly don't understand how they stay in business.

Sorry, nothing helpful to add to the thread - but I never pass up an opportunity to bash Sprint. Did I mention that SPRINT SUCKS!!?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
The Puretalk looks good except that they have limited data. My phone sees a lot of music streaming and a ton of email and web use.

Posted By: coobie Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by teal
I've been with AT&T the last 8 years or so. Can't complain.

Decent price, great coverage where I travel and they've NEVER ever screwed up my bill. Never needed their CS.

I'm happy enough.

Also have their internet in the house - 1/2 the price of cable and no issues there either.
++1 have ATT also..Been great to deal with with good coverage area.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Look at Bolt Mobile.....
Just sent them an email.

All this phone techy bullchit is a pain in the azz!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Verizon here, coverage is second-to-none in the areas of PA and NY where I travel, ymmv....
Posted By: ribka Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
In the pnw, verizon seems to have a much better network in rural areas as opposed to ATT Sprint at least IMO

Be tough finding a cheap rate based on your requirements of a lot of streaming, web use

I bought a throw away phone, which was not bad, at Walmart for around $60 and pay $50 a month for a good deal of service. On verizon. no contract. They advertise the $60 a month as unlimited but have no first hand experience if it is truly unlimited
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
With few exceptions, the 'free' phone with a 2 year contract is for suckers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Going with Verizon will ensure good service, good coverage, and keep those pension checks rolling in to my bank every month.

Win Win Win!😀
Everyone up here loves Verizon for sure.

In my ten years here I've used Tmobile, ATT, Net10, and Sprint.

All have been fine. The device I had with Net10 sucked and their customer service was outta some place in India that was a pain to deal with, but coverage was fine.

I had Net10 for a while about 7 years ago. Every time I needed to add minutes it wouldn't work. I always had to call their CS and they'd give a 130 digit (+/-) code to type in to reset the phone. It got pretty old.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you don't use a phone much, it's hard to beat Tracfone, especially if you get one with triple minutes. I bought one in March with triple min. My package came with 400 min, 400 texts, and 400 mg of data. Triple each of those. The smart phone plus the time was $130. 5 months later I still have over half of each left. I won't need to buy more time until near Christmas.
I leave the data turned off unless I'm on the road because I get emails, etc. at home. Surfing will eat the data in a hurry.

In this area, at least, Tracfone runs on Verizon's tower network.
If you like your current phone, go to their website and check 'bring your own phone' to find out if it's compatible with their service. You won't get the triple minutes, though. If you don't use data, they have cheaper minutes.

This is what my wife and I are trying out now since the first week of April. The smart phones we bought were on sale at the time for $69.95 $79.95 and came with 400 minutes talk/text/data X 3 for 1 year, each. Any additional time we might need to buy as long as we keep these phones is triple the face amount, also. So far, no complaints.

Something to be aware of when using prepaid service, though, is any completed incoming/outgoing calls whether answered directly or by voice-mail count against your minutes. Another thing is calling support lines, paying bills by phone, etc., navigating through a maze of electronic prompts and/or being put on hold can use up minutes pretty quick.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Well seeing how you use your phone a lot I would only look to the services that have unlimited use then go from there.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by savage24
I would change too. I have Sprint through my job. I think their coverage may be improving but their customer service sucks. I'm not even paying the bill and I hate them. Based on my experience with Sprint, I honestly don't understand how they stay in business.

Sorry, nothing helpful to add to the thread - but I never pass up an opportunity to bash Sprint. Did I mention that SPRINT SUCKS!!?

Couldn't agree more. They're headquartered here, but even their local service is atrocious, can't drive around town without dropping calls. My wife, daughter, and I all have Verizon. Great coverage wherever we go, particularly in the mountain west. Now if we could just dump Time Warner Cable.....
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Well seeing how you use your phone a lot I would only look to the services that have unlimited use then go from there.
Agreed. Listening to music on the phone can be a killer for prepaid data.
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Verizon has about the best coverage available. We haven't shopped for price with anyone else.

Around here Sprint might as well be non-existant. You would do better with 2 tin cans and a string.

Did I mention Sprint SUCKS !

Myron
Posted By: byc Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Been with Bell Atlantic & AT&T from the start of this whole movement and never had a single issue. Coverage or otherwise! So here I stay.

However, I might just move from a rugged flipper to a smart phone. MIGHT!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Where I live, if you want to use the cell phone, you better have Verizon. Or, a carrier that uses Verizon's network.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
I just had an issue with my Cricket phone. They advertise a full 4LTE coverage all over MO, for example, but when I was in that area last week, I had NO coverage whatsoever, and no service of any kind.

I had specifically asked them, when I bought that service, if I had coverage there, and they assured me I DID have service. I checked online, and their coverage map included the area I'd asked about.

Complaints to the company (an AT&T affiliate) have done nothing whatsoever to assuage my anger.

I won't be with them much longer, price be damned, I NEED to have good service up there, and I had nothing at all.
Apparently I don't use as much data, etc..as I thought.

3.5 GB, 510 minutes, and about 115 texts according to the kid at the Sprint store.
There is a reason Verizon is number one......I have been with them about 15 years never a problem....I would use a can and string before I would use sprint....
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15

I'm a light user so Tracfone is perfect for me.
If you're a big user I'd check out Republic Wireless.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
verison here is way better then anything else,there internet flat out sucks. dish internet works 100 times better.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
When AT&T bought our little regional provider, reception went to "Hell in a handbasket"
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Verizon seems to have the best coverage, but even with that here in the west there are places where there are no coverage.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
Verizon for me also. In my travels in the 11 Western states I can't remember not having a signal. Good customer service and a new phone about every three years.

W. Bill
I know of a LOT of places with no service.
Ended up with MetroPCS.

$40 even, tax and all, a month for unlimited everything, though they throttle back data after the first 2GB.

The phone is a Galaxy something or other. It sucks next to iphones but they didn't have one. I'll likely shop up an older 5s and switch it over.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Which cell provider? - 08/01/15
I have IPhone 6 plus and Sprint is my carrier here in rural Missouri. Neither AT&T or Verizon have coverage.
© 24hourcampfire