Home
Posted By: krp Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Hohokam petroglyphs in nontraditional country. I've heard there are some Hohokam petroglyphs up on the Navajo. An exploratory branch and I may have found one of their intermediate posts.

[Linked Image]

Lizards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
We saw one of those critters a few years back at Quemado. First that I have seen in lots of years. We do not have them in Arkansas, at least not in my part. miles
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is a very interesting find.

How far out of the normal area did you find them?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Cool beans Kent!

Saw a couple Horny Toads in Tejas last year....its been awhile for me.
Would be fun to dig under that smoke mark on the wall. No telling how many campfires have been set there thru time..
Posted By: rattler Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Originally Posted by milespatton
We saw one of those critters a few years back at Quemado. First that I have seen in lots of years. We do not have them in Arkansas, at least not in my part. miles

we have them way up here near the Canuck boarder but they seem hyperlocalized.....infact ive only found one spot so far where they are easy to find......ours seem to like the boarder of the badlands, not in the badlands, not on the prairie but in about a 20 foot band along the edge of the badlands.....course this also happens to be where there are loads of harvester ant nests so that may have something to do with it....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Sheridan I saw one in exactly that zone last time I was in the breaks.
You can see the centipede on the lower rock wall, snakes on the other side.

Plus other interesting stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Interesting stuff krp....... cool smile
Wow!!! Awesome Kent! Appreciate the photos!

Horny toads are long gone here. We used to catch em on the playground at school and turn em loose in class.
Posted By: GregW Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Kent, finding stuff like that is on of my favorite things to do....lots of stuff like that all over the rim country...
[Linked Image]

Here is the same lizard with a windy snake as the tail, hard to see in a picture but easier in person.

[Linked Image]

Seen a hornytoad this mornin' leaving the area where I go shootin'. First one I've seen in a long time.
In northeast Utah, here's five....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Would be fun to dig under that smoke mark on the wall. No telling how many campfires have been set there thru time..

Yep, definitely a lot with a lot of debris fallen in. Bet a lot of stone art has fallen off or under the lichen.

Horny toads are still common here. I just liked the life depicting art ironicism...

Kent
Posted By: Scott F Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
You do find fun stuff.

Have you ever walked up the hill behind the range at Quemado. Pretty nice ruin up on top.

Thanks for the pictures.
Posted By: g5m Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/02/15
Good photos.
Posted By: krp Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
You do find fun stuff.

Have you ever walked up the hill behind the range at Quemado. Pretty nice ruin up on top.

Thanks for the pictures.

I haven't. I'll check it out next time.

Kent
I have looked that ruin over a couple of times and it is pretty well picked over. I figure pot hunters in the past. Still neat though. miles
Posted By: krp Re: Hornytoads and Hohokams... - 08/03/15
I highlighted the lizard with snake tail or being eaten by snake. It's hard to see in the pictures but for me the most interesting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire