Home
For me a early saiga 7.62.39
Originally Posted by hunterdan199
The older I get, the less I regret having gotten rid of the guns that I did. I guess the first AR-15 I ever owned would be on the list of the guns I'd take back if I were being offered any that I'd ever had, free and clear. I don't remember all the trades, but I wouldn't trade the ones I have now for the old ones. Butterfly effect or some such.

[Linked Image]
My first hunting rifle a model 70 30-06. Late 70s but had a beautiful tiger stripe running down it.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
My first hunting rifle a model 70 30-06. Late 70s but had a beautiful tiger stripe running down it.
Those were nice, underrated guns. My best friend and his brother bought one together. They [bleep] up on the caliber, getting a 223 which is and was illegal for deer here, but it was/is a nice gun. I think his brother still has it unless he traded it on something.
I dunno, maybe this one...

[Linked Image]

I don't want the house back.
I had a model 7 stainless synthetic in 260rem that I am still regretting selling
A 7 1/2" USFA Flattop Target in 44 Special/Russian.
A Model 341 Remington tube feed .22 my uncle gave me. My first really accurate .22.

A Pre'64 M/70 Super Grade .257 Roberts.
The rifle I wish I had never sold was an early Marlin Model 39A with the then-new "Micro-Groove" rifling I bought when I was 12 years old.

Back in those days (1948), a 12 year old boy carrying a new .22 rifle home in it's box on a public city trolley bus in Dayton, Ohio wasn't all that unusual. The adults on the bus that read the writing on the rifle's box even smiled when they saw what I was carrying... and ask me if I was gonna go squirrel hunting with that rifle.

Ya see... back in those days, "common sense" was a LOT more "common" and most folks (including "kids") had more sense than they seem to have now. As a result, no one even THOUGHT of shooting other people just for the heck of it. And there weren't any shopping malls back then... just big department stores all of which were "down town" where everyone went to do any serious shopping.

Can you imagine what would happen if a 12 year old boy attempted to do THAT these days ?!?

That sweet little rifle was the most accurate .22 rimfire rifle I've ever owned. NOTHING (cans, bottles, etc.) was "safe" within the range of THAT rifle when I was carrying it !

I use to take it on my many Saturday "walks" down a deserted railroad track which was 'way out in the "boonies"... shooting all manner of "varmints" and "targets". About 3 miles down the RR track was an apple orchard with nary a farmer's house within sight.

Being both thirsty and a bit hungry after that long walk, I'd climb the fence around the orchard, pick a tree with some big, red apples at it's top and use the Marlin 39A to shoot a couple of apple's stems in half and catch each apple as it fell outta the tree. Those apples were always sweet, juicy, crisp & yummy !!!

Those apples were the BESTEST apples I've ever eaten... and plenty juicy, too... all "thanks" to that Marlin Model 39A with it's iron-sights and Micro-Groove barrel ! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
A few come to mind

my first AR15. Colt sporter

WWII BHP. Captured from a German. The owner carried it through his later life, including some time as a small plane pilot for Air America.
Paid $75 for it. All matching number, Kreigsmarine stamp on butt.

First year Ruger Blackhawk, three screw flat top .44 Mag, with it's little brothers, a first year .357 flat top, and a three screw Ruger .22/.22 Mag convertible.
Perazzi TM-1
My Model 99 chambered for 250-3000 comes to mind, with a period correct Weaver K6W on it.
This is a problem I don't have... I never sold a gun. smile
A long list for me. In fact probably way too may to list.

A few:

700 RS .270

Ruger 77 6MM

788 6MM

Ruger 77 .284 Winchester

Model 70 .300 H&H

Custom 1917 .300 H&H

Parker Hale .308 Norma Magnum

Okay now I am depressed cry
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My Model 99 chambered for 250-3000 comes to mind, with a period correct Weaver K6W on it.

groan, that remindes me of the Ruger International, chambered in .250-3000. Bought it for $350 at a pawn shop. Sold it to a buddy, for his son to use.
I've had a lot of guns through my hands over the last 50 years, several of which I'd own again given the chance. The ONE that I would dearly love to have again was a Post-64 M70 30-06 SPRG (made in 1968) that I bought from a buddy's hardware store in 1980 (still brand new). Last gun they had in inventory, last gun they ever sold. The store and the buddy have passed into history.
My first Model 70 Featherweight 270, best looking wood I've ever seen on one.
Originally Posted by Ron_T
The rifle I wish I had never sold was an early Marlin Model 39A with the then-new "Micro-Groove" rifling I bought when I was 12 years old.

Back in those days (1948), a 12 year old boy carrying a new .22 rifle home in it's box on a public city trolley bus in Dayton, Ohio wasn't all that unusual. The adults on the bus that read the writing on the rifle's box even smiled when they saw what I was carrying... and ask me if I was gonna go squirrel hunting with that rifle.

Ya see... back in those days, "common sense" was a LOT more "common" and most folks (including "kids") had more sense than they seem to have now. As a result, no one even THOUGHT of shooting other people just for the heck of it. And there weren't any shopping malls back then... just big department stores all of which were "down town" where everyone went to do any serious shopping.

Can you imagine what would happen if a 12 year old boy attempted to do THAT these days ?!?

That sweet little rifle was the most accurate .22 rimfire rifle I've ever owned. NOTHING (cans, bottles, etc.) was "safe" within the range of THAT rifle when I was carrying it !

I use to take it on my many Saturday "walks" down a deserted railroad track which was 'way out in the "boonies"... shooting all manner of "varmints" and "targets". About 3 miles down the RR track was an apple orchard with nary a farmer's house within sight.

Being both thirsty and a bit hungry after that long walk, I'd climb the fence around the orchard, pick a tree with some big, red apples at it's top and use the Marlin 39A to shoot a couple of apple's stems in half and catch each apple as it fell outta the tree. Those apples were always sweet, juicy, crisp & yummy !!!

Those apples were the BESTEST apples I've ever eaten... and plenty juicy, too... all "thanks" to that Marlin Model 39A with it's iron-sights and Micro-Groove barrel ! grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
sold a 270 I got for payment once. Hate 270s so it was good.

Sold a redhawk to buy a smith once, hate ruger mostly so it was good.

Never sold anything else so thats good. LOL.
The first large bore rifle my dad bought for me.

He was not a hunter and I was a kid learning on my own. I wanted to start deer hunting but didn't have a rifle. Somewhere he found and bought a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. Don't remember much but it was in decent shape and had the brass cartridge counter in it.

Back when I didn't know anything about anything, Walmart was the only place for me to get ammo, and they didn't carry 300 Sav. After fruitlessly looking for ammo, it got traded straight across at a gunshow for a 336 in 30-30, as that ammo was plentiful.
I sold my first rifle, M700 BDL in 30-06.

JD338
4" Colt Diamondback 22Lr. Paid $175 for it.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
The first large bore rifle my dad bought for me.

He was not a hunter and I was a kid learning on my own. I wanted to start deer hunting but didn't have a rifle. Somewhere he found and bought a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. Don't remember much but it was in decent shape and had the brass cartridge counter in it.

Back when I didn't know anything about anything, Walmart was the only place for me to get ammo, and they didn't carry 300 Sav. After fruitlessly looking for ammo, it got traded straight across at a gunshow for a 336 in 30-30, as that ammo was plentiful.
That was probably a good trade at the time. The 336 is never a bad choice.

[Linked Image]
ASP 9mm based on a S&W 39. What a slick pocket gun and worth mucho bucks today..

Third-generation Colt single action 4-3/4" in .45 Colt.
Gradous .308.........that SOB was a HAMMER!!!
In '74 I bought a used rifle out of the local paper classifieds with my summer ranching money. 100 bucks

Savage 99 308 with a 4X redfield wideangle scope. Killed my first dozen or so deer with it.

Got a 3006 for elk. Early 90's my daughter wanted an expensive gift for her birthday so I sold the 99, advertised it for 175.00 thinking it may be high and the phone wouldn't stop ringing.

Few years ago I bought another from a member here, but it's not quite the same. I did kill an elk with it... and with that same daughter, she understood the significance.

[Linked Image]
A pre-Model 17 K-22. The first handgun I ever owned. I paid $69.00 for it if I remember correctly; didn't really know what I had........
in the 80's when I was a teen in high school -sold my Benjamin 177cal pellet rifle -stupid mistake

then in 2007 I sold a brand new Ruger No.1 in 7mm rem mag, wood/blued - cause I couldn't get it to group - I should have spent the money to have the forearm worked on to make it shoot!! another mistake

from now on, I just buy guns, no selling or trading
Colt Anaconda 44mag. I was accurate with that thing. Just didn't see the need for it in NE. I got a Redhawk now, but just isn't the same.
a 45 1911 that i traded for at a gun show. turned out to be a burns custom.worth about 3500.00.i did some trading and ended up with around 600.00 in it. but when i was offered 2400.00 for it had to go.

Win M70 Classic Fwt/Stainless in a 6.5x55 Swede.
John Rigby bolt action in 303 Brit. Paid 600 bucks for it in 1976 and I sold it three years later when I went in the Navy..
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by gophergunner

groan, that remindes me of the Ruger International, chambered in .250-3000. Bought it for $350 at a pawn shop. Sold it to a buddy, for his son to use.

I could understand missing that gun, but the reason I sold it...wouldn't bug me so much.
Marlin 336 in .35 also model 7 stainless brown pounder stock in .260
Not very special, but my first CF, a Mohawk 600 in .308. Not pretty and the bolt was on the wrong side, but handy and accurate. Traded it off on a whim - stupid, stupid, stupid.
Four digit .243 Ruger #1.

DF
Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Federal. It shot great and it left a heck of a blood trail.
Lots and lots that I never realized would go out of production or be worth so much. But the biggest would probably be a Colt Woodsman - the exact model as shown as in the pic. It had the thumb rest and grip adapter as shown and was in the original box with the instruction manual and a spare magazine. A patient gave it to my father who gave it to me. A few years later I went through the "gotta sell this and buy the next shiny object" phase (which lasted for about 3 decades) and let it go. Can't recall what I got for it but doubt it was much over $200. cry

[Linked Image]
Remington 700 titanium in 7mm SAUM. Bought it brand new, had to sell because of hard times 5 years ago. Would love to have it back!!!! I don't think they made very many of these in this caliber.
Sako AII Hunter 22-250 tiger striped stock, 1/2" shooter
Winchester Model 47 Target
Thinking about responding to this thread makes me sad. Between hurricanes and hard times, there are a lot of guns that were lost that I would have liked to keep.
Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Maximum with a 6" barrel. I sold it without ever shooting it. I had 3 boxes of factory ammo.

I got it in a heck of a trade where I had only $25 invested in my stock. Ended up selling it for $525.

Wish I had shot it.
hunterdan199, My first handgun,a Browning Nomad 22 LR. I got it when I was about 14 and when I was was 16,traded a friend for a Ruger Single Six.I still have the Ruger,but really (for collectors value) wish I still had the Browning. memtb
All of them !!! Wish I had never sold any of my guns.
My first .22 and my first shotgun.
My first gun, a Remington 511 I got for my 12th birthday in 1955. I'd cut enough grass, stayed out of trouble for a while and hinted around about it enough that my parents had okd the deal with the sporting goods store. As I recall it cost $27 dollars. I carried it back through town and several more blocks home. Today someone would have probably called out the swat team. Better times than these.

I killed a lot of squirrels and other small game with it. About four years later I traded it in on a Model 77 Winchester semiauto with the visible magazine in front of the trigger guard. Big mistake.
Savage 99 308
Originally Posted by hunterdan199
There are quite a few. The top of the list, however, would be the H&K 91 that I purchased in the late 1970s. Sold it just before George HW Bush outlawed their importation. Had I kept it a little longer, I could have gotten several thousand for it, instead of the $600.00 I got for it.
A Luger, (and a newish WWI 1911). And........
The Centennial model Marlin 336 my Dad "sold" me for a ridiculously low price when I was about 14.

Traded it in on a new Ruger M77 that is still being used by my kids though.

Do NOT miss the stupid aluminum see-through mounts and cheap Bushnell that was on it...
I am having a hard time thinking of one I didn't want back. Years ago a BIL borrowed a 99 Savage take down in 300 savage. I killed three black bear with it before he borrowed it. Years later when he died it was not in his gun safe. But that was a borrowed gun not a sold gun.

Ruger #1 V in 22 BR with a B&L 6 X 24. Tight necked so you had to turn the necks of the brass but oh did it ever shoot. I was hurt and the doctors would not release me to go to work and Oregon workers comp and not paid me in four years. I sold it for eating money and goy a hundred dollars out of it. I sold ot with a noce case, load data, two hundred rounds of brass, and a set of my home made hand dies. I suppose that is the one I would like back the most.
While I haven't owned as many guns as some (or even most) of the Loonies here, there are a few I regret:

The top two without a doubt are:
- S&W Stainless Model 63 4"
- Colt 6" Diamondback

Then a few others:
- Contender Carbine . 22 LR
- Contender with .375 JDJ Barrel
- 3 Ruger tang safety rifles (300 Win Mag, .270, 22-250)
- Marlin lever 45-70

And although I sold a couple of Browning X-Bolts that shot well, I really don't miss them. smile
Old Ruger black hawk single action 44 mag. Now I do not even remember the year it was made.
LH Browning A-Bolt Stainless steel Stalker with boss in 30.06

Still trying to find a replacement with no luck
Ruger m77 red pad, tang safety in 257 Roberts.
Remington 788 in 308
LC Smith Specialty Grade,with 2 sets of barrels ,in 16 gauge
Parker DHE--12 gauge
My Kimber Super american in 22LR...............
Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine, 1952 model, 6.5X54 M/S.
When I was 16 I bought a Ruger #1V in 6mm Rem and killed my first deer with it that fall using my hand loaded Hornady 100 gr BTSP. A year or two later I sold it to buy something bigger and better. I really regretted that later. About 6 years ago I finally found a replacement for it with even better wood, but not a red pad like the original.

I plan to give my Marlin 35 Rem to my son when he is old enough to hunt. If he ever wants to sell it, I will buy it from him.
More than I care to remember.

Remington 600 308
S&W 63 I've had a few of those don't have any now
S&W mod 18 very nice early model. Bought it well then sold it.
Winchester Mod 70 Classic Stainless 375 H&H had a few wish I still had one left.
Couple of different Winchester mod 70 Featherweights 30-06.
Had some nice early 3rd generation Colt SAA 44 Spec, and 45 Colt.
I'm not sure this is helpful.
An early 90s BDL in 300 Win Mag that a gunsmith friend trued, cleaned up the trigger, lapped the barrel (a factory barrel that shot with most of the stuff I could find) and added a nice (not real fancy but nice grain and finish) BDL pattern walnut stock. Alas I was young, just back from Iraq and just had to have a short mag! Stupid kid move!
© 24hourcampfire