Home
Posted By: ltppowell Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15
Interesting article.
____

Who are Trump’s supporters? Not who you think

Understanding the Trump voter is tricky, mostly because Trump is a relatively new phenomenon in presidential politics, and without a political record it’s difficult to measure where his support is coming from.

But I’m pretty sure I know where it’s not coming from: the conservative base.

Today’s prototypical conservative base voters are infamously principled. Their views are hardened, their heels dug in. They are armed with all kinds of litmus tests and purity tests to make sure the “fake” conservatives are weeded out from the good ones, often to the chagrin of the party.

It shifts with time, but at the moment the ideological guillotine falls on issues like immigration (are you for a pathway?), abortion (are you for exceptions?), guns (are you for universal background checks?), education (do you support Common Core?) and climate change (do you think it’s real?). Departing from doctrine on just one of these can cast a foreboding shadow of skepticism upon an otherwise devout and disciplined conservative.

The idea that in 2016 these voters would simply turn off their hardwired orthodoxy and support a guy who has voted for Democrats, refused to pledge to support the Republican nominee if it’s not him, openly defended Planned Parenthood, approved of exceptions to abortion bans, supported a single-payer health care system, backed an assault weapons ban and advocated a one-time 14.25 percent mega-tax on the wealthy to erase the national debt is, to put it in Trumpian language, really, really stupid.

Base voters will stick with candidates like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, who demonstrated their conservative bona fides by shutting down the government, filibustering the Patriot Act and pledging to repeal Obamacare. The more evangelically inclined will support Huckabee and Santorum, or maybe even Marco Rubio, who recently said he personally opposes any exceptions — rape, incest, health of the mother — for abortion.

So who is the Trump supporter, if not the conservative base? I’d argue it’s mostly disaffected moderates who no longer strictly identify with either party. They think the political system is rigged. They think politicians are corrupt.

While Trump probably gets more support from the right, running as a Republican, he attracts from the left as well.

A popular Reddit thread that’s generated nearly 13,000 comments so far asked Trump supporters to explain why they liked him. A surprising number of Democrats weighed in, including one who said:

“I support Bernie Sanders, but if he doesn’t make it past the primaries, then Trump it is. Trump is the only other who isn’t bought.”
So who is the Trump supporter, if not the conservative base? I’d argue it’s mostly disaffected moderates who no longer strictly identify with either party. They think the political system is rigged. They think politicians are corrupt.

This!
Posted By: Gus Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15
I was a bit surprised to notice that the Bible thumpers wer not listed as a sub-set of the True Conservatives. perhaps they have been banished as persona non grata?

oh well, they still have a home, such as it is, with Mike the Baptist.

oh wait, they were listed. I just read the report poorly. so, they're in the mix. Great.

I wish the whole other 15 or so of them could be as honest In their exposition as the Trump.
Republicans are so desperate for a combination of balls and charisma that you could probably throw Putin's name in the race and have him at 20% by the end of September.

Also, women love him.

Travis
TRUMP Supporter?

ME.

And women love me too.

W. Bill
Posted By: RickyD Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15
Simple. Primarily those who identify with azzholes. Thus, Trump's popularity on the Campfire.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Simple. Primarily those who identify with azzholes. Thus, Trump's popularity on the Campfire.

He's leading in Iowa.

Dave
Trump gunna jack you up grin

Posted By: RickyD Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15
Originally Posted by deflave

He's leading in Iowa.

Dave
Azzholes abound.
there is a subset of both demo's and republicans that are wanting real change. change that they can sink their teeth into, and make a meal out of.

status quo candidates are for kicking the can down the road. it's worked so far. 19 billion in debt headed to 30 billion and the can kickin' goes on.

Trump is willing to promote Nationalism (in my reading) as a high-priority among both disaffected demo's and republicans.

ol Bernie sanders is drilling into exactly the same vein of pure gold.
there is a subset of both demo's and republicans

BS. The only thing democrats want is more pekker to chew on.
Posted By: add Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15
Interesting article?

More like an uninspired hatchet piece.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
there is a subset of both demo's and republicans

BS. The only thing democrats want is more pekker to chew on.

you don't think a subset of disaffected demo's won't be drawn to his big tent of: Restoring America?
Azzholes abound.

In Iowa.

Travis
get real
Trump supporters are people who are tired of trying to choose their candidate from a group of career politicians who have already been purchased,...and are forbidden from taken the stand on the issues that the people want because the people who own them don't want it.
and are forbidden from taken the stand on the issues that the people want because the people who own them don't want it.

Thats the saddest thing I've read all day frown
Originally Posted by Gus

you don't think a subset of disaffected demo's won't be drawn to his big tent of: Restoring America?

I don't think you really have to think about Democrat versus Republican - Trump is sort of a de facto independant.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Trump supporters are people who are tired of trying to choose their candidate from a group of career politicians who have already been purchased,...and are forbidden from taken the stand on the issues that the people want because the people who own them don't want it.

^ except cruz
Posted By: efw Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15

Exactly. And there are hard core Conservatives, Libertarians, and Independents in that group.

Probably Liberals too... I mean who wouldn't love to tell politicians & pundits to f%{+ themselves?

I did learn one thing here tho.... Wouldn't a nailed RickyD as a Trumpite, but he's obviously on board...
Republicans are so desperate for a combination of balls and charisma that you could probably throw Putin's name in the race and have him at 20% by the end of September.

Also, women love him.

Travis

Believe 60% of R women do.
Interesting article.
____

Who are Trump’s supporters? Not who you think

Anyone discussing national debt and promoting a balanced budget.....will likely NOT get much support from a government employee.
Can't say I'm a supporter of Trump but I am definitely watching and listening.

Lets call it waiting to see if he's for real. If nothing else he is changing the monologue, err I mean dialogue, we get otherwise
we're the smart ones willing to go for something different.
I don't trust Rand or Cruz and I trust the rest of the pack even less. Trump comes in after Rand and Cruz on the "trust" list, but at this point appears to have a much better shot at the nomination than either one of them.

It has gotten to the point that most of the career GOP dickweasels don't even bother lying to you about what they claim they're going to do for you if elected. Trump may well be lying, but most of the others aren't even bothering.

grin

That's pretty funny!
Trump is the only candidate that is really speaking truth to power.

He's leading in Iowa.

Dave

So did Perry
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

He's leading in Iowa.

Dave

So did Perry
if trump wore panties would you support him?
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

grin

That's pretty funny!

Yeah! But he is double digits above the dick weasels. All the azzholes have a lot of company.

Take care, Willie
The Klintons.
Trump is a businessman, he doesn't really want to be President in my opinion.
How much klinton cash would it take for him to splinter the repub vote?
ok hawkeye
I work with two imigrants, both legal one from Mexico the other Canada. Both know trump may run them off, both agree he's the one that can change this country.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The Klintons.
Trump is a businessman, he doesn't really want to be President in my opinion.
How much klinton cash would it take for him to splinter the repub vote?

I don't think so, but only because they don't have enough money. There is absolutely no doubt that Trump is a mega-narcissist, but unlike Obama, he is an "Ambitious Narcissist" and not a "Destructive Narcissist". I guess that's okay... if he's on our side. Obama worked out really well for liberals. Ain't no guaranties with any narcissist.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/19/15

Totally agree.The Democrats are crooked and the Republicans are completely dysfunctional.They hold both Houses and do nothing but capitulate to Obama.I think this Country needs someone who is not a bought and paid for career politician to be President.Whether its Cruz or Trump is of little consequence.
Originally Posted by Huntz

Totally agree.The Democrats are crooked and the Republicans are completely dysfunctional.They hold both Houses and do nothing but capitulate to Obama.I think this Country needs someone who is not a bought and paid for career politician to be President.Whether its Cruz or Trump is of little consequence.

I'm pretty sure that's what the original article said. And liberals or saying "whether it's Sanders or Trump is of little consequence". That's what makes it interesting.
Trump supporters are those who haven't figured out that it's a good idea to listen to the rhetoric then verify if it's the truth.
Trump is a self-interested switch-hitter, period. A serial buyer of politicians who's now claiming he can't be bought? Are you shiffing me?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...8-3ae3-11e5-b3ac-8a79bc44e5e2_story.html

Even though this is old news, it may be new to some. Donald Trump talks politics with Bill Clinton weeks before launching his campaign.
So did Perry

Your breath smells like Palin's dick.

Dave
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Believe 60% of R women do.

Every bleeder democrat I've spoken to likes him.

You're the only exception.

Travis
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
A serial buyer of politicians who's now claiming he can't be bought? Are you shiffing me?

If Sheldon Adelson would dangle 50 million in front of Trump to do his bidding Trump would laugh at him. The others would be jumping at it like a bunch of starving Ethiopians grabbing for a piece of bread.

Posted By: KFWA Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Trump's supporters are a fickle bunch I suspect.

They're going to tolerate a level of bullshit from him because he gets a pass at not being a career politician - and with that comes the ability to be politically incorrect and to some extent, uninformed on "in the weeds" details about foreign heads of state, trade agreements, constitutional law, etc

but the one thing that would sink Trump is the first time he takes a position that appears to be solely self serving and not in the interest of the American people.

I think in the back of everyone's minds, that's that biggest fear of Trump - waiting for the moment when they are convinced he isn't running for president based on some altruistic idea and its all about Trump industries.

As long as he avoids that, I think he can ride the apathy and distaste Americans have for career politicians all the way to the RNC.

The good news is that the democrats seems just as fed up with their side as the conservatives are with ours.

That works in Trump's favor.

The biggest challenge that candidates have in dealing with Trump is their inability to get up on a stage or stump and talk about how he is just talking horseshit and really can't deliver on what he is promising. Even a career politician asshat like Lindsay Graham doesn't have the balls to do that.

Posted By: efw Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Trump supporters are those who haven't figured out that it's a good idea to listen to the rhetoric then verify if it's the truth.
Trump is a self-interested switch-hitter, period. A serial buyer of politicians who's now claiming he can't be bought? Are you shiffing me?

You're right; smarter to get behind one of the very same politicians who've been screwing us w/o lube for so many years.

I have faith in no man; but the Donald seems to me to be the least of all bad options right now. If for no other reason than entertainment, which is all that politics are really good for anymore.
Originally Posted by Pat85
A serial buyer of politicians who's now claiming he can't be bought? Are you shiffing me?

If Sheldon Adelson would dangle 50 million in front of Trump to do his bidding Trump would laugh at him. The others would be jumping at it like a bunch of starving Ethiopians grabbing for a piece of bread.

We certainly don't need another liberal in the White House, and Trump may be our best chance, but it is quite ironic that the founders designed the American system of democracy in order that people like him not be elected.
I think Trump's strongest move is to just keep reminding the American people how worthless politicians really are.

Not just in general but calling them out by name.

One more thing I'll add - Trump is a CEO - and as a CEO, they look at a V.P. much differently than a politician. They don't see a V.P. as someone who they had to take on to finish out the ticket.

Whoever is the V.P. for Trump is going to be putting in some serious work because I bet dollars to donuts he's going to delegate authority and solicit advice from a V.P. - especially someone who can council him on navigating thru Washington Bureaucracy.

Plus, I doubt Trump is going to give cabinet positions and plum government jobs to friends and people he owes favors to. He'll see this as a business where you get the best people for the job regardless of where they are or who they currently work for. If a democrat liberal is the best person to run an organization (I can't really think of one but you get the idea) - he'll reach out to that person and will not care who objects.

Posted By: efw Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Anyone who doesn't know Trump is high on himself and in it to get ahead is stupid.

But really, who cares? How exactly would that set him apart from any other candidate?

And if the others did break political vacuous sound byte speak long enough to challenge him the way you suggest they can't, how would THAT make him any different than them? At least he bluntly says what he seems to want us to think he believes rather than mammy-pamsy limp wristed mock offended pu$$y speaking like career politicians.

I am a supporter of his to the extent that he keeps telling the established DC-item to sit & spin. He keeps that up and I'll keep feeling positive, even WHEN his policies aren't what I agree with. I'm over politics beyond the fun factor of Fantasy Football-style strategy-watching and such.
Originally Posted by efw
Anyone who doesn't know Trump is high on himself and in it to get ahead is stupid.

But really, who cares? How exactly would that set him apart from any other candidate?

And if the others did break political vacuous sound byte speak long enough to challenge him the way you suggest they can't, how would THAT make him any different than them? At least he bluntly says what he seems to want us to think he believes rather than mammy-pamsy limp wristed mock offended pu$$y speaking like career politicians.

I am a supporter of his to the extent that he keeps telling the established DC-item to sit & spin. He keeps that up and I'll keep feeling positive, even WHEN his policies aren't what I agree with. I'm over politics beyond the fun factor of Fantasy Football-style strategy-watching and such.

its more about just not differentiating what is good for Trump and what is good for the American people.
Originally Posted by KFWA

its more about just not differentiating what is good for Trump and what is good for the American people.

This is where I am a huge fan of Trump. Any good manager knows that the only way to be successful is for your people to be successful.
Trump has tapped into a fierce and angry energy source. Built a big and badly needed bonfire.
But he is a messenger carrying a lot of baggage. So far he does not seem to handle criticism very well. I suspect he has always been surrounded by yes-men.
Right now he is enjoying riding at the head in the biggest parade of his life.
But there is a bumpy road ahead and his ass may get very weary.
Originally Posted by dave7mm
The best part of the Republican party ran down Barry Goldwaters leg in 1963.Cept for Reagan .
Ever since then its all about sucking chi-com itcho.Started with trickie dickie and has escalated since then.
60,000 Manufacturing plants closed just since they passed NAFTA.
Free trade is part of the Republican party platform.
All so they can get a higher stock price for there corporate masters.
Trump is the only one I hear talking about how bad that is for the country.And that just doesnt fit with the Republican party platform.
Any political party thats done that much damage to our country needs to go away.
dave

Originally Posted by dave7mm
Not a polished speaker at all.
Sometimes almost hard to listen to.
Especially when he starts on the "I run a great brand/company"
Still the guy.
If for no other reason than he cant be owned.
dave

The paultard and Cruz have zero chance of winning anything.
Alot of what im reading right now reminds me of Reagans runup.
B list actor.An actor really?
Reagan turned out pretty well.
All these other suckers from both parties are bought and paid for.They dont even talk about real problems.Paid not to.
Not a problem for Trump.
dave
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Trump is the smartest guy in the race. All this crap about him not taking criticism or being to self promoting fails to see just how damned smart the guy is.

When challenged, he attacks. It isn't being thin skinned, it is taking the initiative. The best defense is a good offense. He never retreats. When threatened, he immediately attacks and wrong foots the attacker. It works brilliantly. Trump never goes in the defensive. There are never days of headlines with the media making fun of Trump and him looking like an idiot. Think of Rick Perry last time around. No, Trump attacks and instead the headlines become about what a dick Trump is and so on and so forth. But he never looks weak or inept.

The same with the endless crap about running a great company and so on and so forth. It is branding. He isn't going to let you forget that he is successful.

If you're not old enough to have figured it out by now, the self promoters ARE the ones who get ahead in this world. Every politician on the debate stage from either party was that ass kissing kid who sat on the front row, answered every question, and annoyingly was involved in every organization on campus and so on and so forth. But they all do their best to try to appear humble and forthright when WE ALL KNOW who they are and exactly what they are...well, at least those of us with a lick of sense.

Trump is a different kind of promoter. He is a carnival barker. And a carnival barker never puts on the airs of false modesty. You know what he is and what he is about because he tells you. He doesn't try to hide it. He is proud of it.

So, as for me, I'm sick of these mealy mouthed ass kissing dick weasels who like to pretend they are something different. Give me the carnival barker. Neither one is the best choice, but any man who would be the best choice, has too much sense to get involved in politics.
The only candidate in the Republican Primary that I'm even somewhat supporting is the highly imperfect Rand Paul, but if he's not getting it, I'd like Trump to, if only because he seems to annoy all the right people. Not that I particularly like or trust him. He's also wrong on several of his positions, from my classical conservative perspective, if not dangerous, even. The establishment-backed candidates are even more so, however.
Originally Posted by Esox357

This!
Many classical conservatives concur.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I don't trust Rand or Cruz and I trust the rest of the pack even less. Trump comes in after Rand and Cruz on the "trust" list, but at this point appears to have a much better shot at the nomination than either one of them.

It has gotten to the point that most of the career GOP dickweasels don't even bother lying to you about what they claim they're going to do for you if elected. Trump may well be lying, but most of the others aren't even bothering.
Good points.
Trump is a genuine LEADER!

Trump is energetic and enthusiastic.

That's whats best to be in front, a LEADER.
Just think how good Warren Buffett would be!
Another thing about Trump. He is immune to ridicule. More than scandal more than anything else, the one thing that gets politicians is ridicule. Rick Perry was done last time around after one mental gaffe during a debate. Howard Dean was done after a moment of unfortunate exuberance after doing well in a primary. Why? Because they became objects of ridicule.

You can't make fun of Trump. Oh, you can but it rings hollow. You can make fun of his hair, but even Trump will make fun of his hair. He doesn't care. People try to make fun of him, but it just doesn't work. Why? Because he has built an empire worth $10 billion and he never fails to take the opportunity to tell you about it. How are you going to make fun of a guy with $10 billion dollars? You just can't. Or at least you can't make fun of him for being inept. He won't become an object of ridicule.
Posted By: add Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
I suspect he has always been surrounded by yes-men.

I suspect, you suspect wrongly quite often.
Posted By: add Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Trump is a genuine LEADER!

Trump is energetic and enthusiastic.

That's whats best to be in front, a LEADER.

Sit down already.

Better yet, go look out your window for anyone in a Japanese car scouting to breach your property during hunting season.
That guy on CNN last night "What are you going to say to the Pope when the Pope wags his finger in your face and starts goin' on about how capitalism is greed and that capitalism has caused more problems in the world for impoverished nations and blah blah blah blah blah blah on and on and on."

Trump "I'll say ISIS wants to cut your head off."

I laughed my ass off. It's not so much that I agree with everything Trump says, but he knows how to handle what is thrown at him.
Originally Posted by add

LOL right on the money
I love when he brought of the subject of Bergdahl , leaves no doubt in my mind that he would be facing the firing squad if he were president.
Originally Posted by add

There are two things the define a successful leader:

1) Vision of what the leader wants to achieve
2) Surrounding himself by the best possible people to achieve that vision. And those best possible people tell you the truth at all times, not what they think you want to hear.

We have all been bitching about the status qoe - now here comes someone that looks like he is actually going to do something about it. He scares the hell out of both the dems and republicans, calls them like he sees them and is willing to stick his neck out and try to fix some of the Washington bs we are all sick and tired of. Not sure if I'll vote for him in the end, but I sure like the way he makes the career politicians squirm.
Originally Posted by centershot
We have all been bitching about the status qoe - now here comes someone that looks like he is actually going to do something about it. He scares the hell out of both the dems and republicans, calls them like he sees them and is willing to stick his neck out and try to fix some of the Washington bs we are all sick and tired of. Not sure if I'll vote for him in the end, but I sure like the way he makes the career politicians squirm.

If another 'career politician' ends up w/ the R nomination then I am done with all of this [bleep].[only possible exception is Cruz]

Yup. People bitch about the same old same old from the GOP, then there is someone who offers what they supposedly have been waiting for and it turns out they are comfortable with the way things are then the possibility of change.
I'm in for the Donald.
The upsides....
He will never give Billary KKKlinton a cabinet position so I will likely not see much if any more about her.
He will not bow to Middle Eastern rag noggins and will likely tell them to STFU instead of any kind of apology.
He is the only candidate likely to tell China to get the faq outta here.
He will build a big wall around the southern border so only the highly skilled yardmen can get through and not the ones that wanna take a break every 2 hours.
He is the only candidate that would likely support TERM LIMITS for the maggots in DC because even if he loses he has a job to go back to unlike the career (leeches) politicians.

The downsides...
I will have to look at that thing growing on his head.
He might try to .INC the United States and turn it into Trumplandia.
He very could be the third anti-christ.
If he bankrupts the US, we could turn into a third world country.

I say we roll the dice...:)
Originally Posted by JoeBob
When challenged, he attacks. It isn't being thin skinned, it is taking the initiative. The best defense is a good offense. He never retreats. When threatened, he immediately attacks and wrong foots the attacker. It works brilliantly. Trump never goes in the defensive. There are never days of headlines with the media making fun of Trump and him looking like an idiot. Think of Rick Perry last time around. No, Trump attacks and instead the headlines become about what a dick Trump is and so on and so forth. But he never looks weak or inept.

+1

dave
This guy is awesome:

I just ordered a t-shirt.

Travis
Worth it just to watch the talking heads explode...

dave
Trump rules...end o' story.

Check please!
Have you ever seen a bad movie where someone has like some kind of magical power to defeat his enemies with a word, a waive, or some other sort of very simply gesture? You know, he goes through the whole movie saying the world, waiving the wand, or whatever as he confidently and later, a little arrogantly watches his enemies fall instantly. Then, in every movie there is that moment in the plot when he uses it on one of his enemies and it has no effect. The enemy laughs, and says something like, "Your puny weapon can't hurt me." And of course, you see the anger, the fear, and the confusion in the guy's face as he suddenly realizes he is in trouble because the weapon he had, is useless against this new enemy.

That is the way the press is. All this political correctness BS they always used against everyone else, just bounces off of Trump. You can see the frustration in that dick weasel's face and hear it in his voice as he whines, "Don't you know that term is offensive to people?"
"I'll use the term anchor baby."

Travis
One of the best things about Trump is,..he's gonna bring those high top caps back in style.

I'm going to have to get me one of his caps. I'll have to carry any time I wear it to keep the chitbird liberals from bouncing a pop bottle offa my head,..but that's okay.
I'm in as long as he doesn't say:
http://shop.donaldjtrump.com/category-s/111.htm

Trump is one of those irritating dudes who is effortlessly good at whatever he does.

He used to have a show on the Golf Channel. He has a funky looking swing that to steal a line from Fehrety when speaking of Jim Furyk, "...looks like an octopus falling out of a tree." So, anyway, he has this awful looking swing, but then he powers through the ball and really knocks the crap out of it. He is a damned good golfer.
Posted By: tzone Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter

^ except cruz

except cruz sounds like a politician when he talks, so folks tune him out rather quickly.
One of the best things about Trump is,..he's gonna bring those high top caps back in style...

I had one back in the day that said "CATERPILLAR".

Chicks dug it.
I had a few of them.

My old man was a heavy equipment operator.

"Cat Hats" were a constant around my house.
Azzholes abound.

In Iowa.

Travis
. I - idiots O- out W- walking A- around ....Iowa. smile
I had a few of them.

My old man was a heavy equipment operator.

"Cat Hats" were a constant around my house.

My old man was a Lutheran minister...he wore a hat that had a marijuana plant on the front and didn't have a clue what the logo was.

Good times.
Originally Posted by add

That has always been the story on Donald.
Posted By: Gus Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
my appreciation for the Trump is that he gives us a glimpse of living outside the box. that is, he has openly challenged the status quo.

he is offering an alternative to the 19 trillion debt, and growing to 30 trillion while the rank & file career politicians moan, whine, rub their hands, and do absolutely nothing.

I wish we could do better, as long as we are wishing, but who is better than Trump and hasn't offered to enter the race yet?

this may be last race that republicans have any chance of ever winnng again, unless some of trump's proposed policies are implemented.

who can imagine a world without the republican party being run by the elites?
Originally Posted by add

That has always been the story on Donald.
Good of you to admit it.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Yup. People bitch about the same old same old from the GOP, then there is someone who offers what they supposedly have been waiting for and it turns out they are comfortable with the way things are then the possibility of change.

Trump hasn't scared anybody yet. "Stumped" a few maybe, because they just can't believe what they're seeing. I'd be happy to vote for Trump vs. Democrat, but the smart money believes Trump is a popular as he is gonna get because 99% (literally)of those polled know everything about him and nothing about the other candidates. Again, my biggest fear is that those who believe Trump is America's savior, and only chance, are going to disengage if Trump gets kicked to the sideline. If they do, it will indeed, be the "same old same old".
The republican candidate I'm 100% behind is Dr. Carson. That said I don't think the electorate is bright enough to see that he is both smart and principalled enough to actually be someone who could turn things around and he's too decent of a man to make the fire brand speeches to get the medias and voters attention.

As far as Trump, I'm willing to give him a shot if he gets the nomination and perhaps he is the only one that can start to turn this mess around, though there is no gurantee he will.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Trump hasn't scared anybody yet. "Stumped" a few maybe, because they just can't believe what they're seeing. I'd be happy to vote for Trump vs. Democrat, but the smart money believes Trump is a popular as he is gonna get because 99% (literally)of those polled know everything about him and nothing about the other candidates. Again, my biggest fear is that those who believe Trump is America's savior, and only chance, are going to disengage if Trump gets kicked to the sideline. If they do, it will indeed, be the "same old same old".

I'm not sure I'd say the smart money is saying that
Posted By: Gus Re: Who are Trump's Supporters? - 08/20/15
I'm afraid the country is at or near the tipping point.

they want the gov't to do it all for them. I mean, afterall that's why they pay taxes, right?

so, we're subcontracting with gov't to make all these decisions for us. and we can just go on, and have our Life, and enjoy living. don't trouble us with all this mundane stuff. we have a powerful federal gov't that is designed to offer us cradle to grave security.

trying to disrupt the boat is just trouble-making.

we don't need no stinking change nothing happened when the federal debt went from 9 trillion to near 19 trillion. y'all are just howling at the moon, nothing more. and if the federal debt goes to 30 trillion then fine if I have a job, a mortgage, 2.5 kids, a commute and a late model car. all this talk about change is crazy talk, I tell you. crazy talk.
The republican candidate I'm 100% behind is Dr. Carson. That said I don't think the electorate is bright enough to see that he is both smart and principalled enough to actually be someone who could turn things around and he's too decent of a man to make the fire brand speeches to get the medias and voters attention.

As far as Trump, I'm willing to give him a shot if he gets the nomination and perhaps he is the only one that can start to turn this mess around, though there is no gurantee he will.

Dr.Carson seems to be an awesome man. A lot will depend on how much money his campaign has, and hopefully there are no Bill Cosby moments in his past.

Dr.Carson seems to be an awesome man. A lot will depend on how much money his campaign has, and hopefully there are no Bill Cosby moments in his past.

Why didn't you use Herman Cain instead of Cosby?

Bigot.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Bigot.
Clarence Thomas.
I'd vote for Trump. After all, I did cast a vote in my first national election for Goldwater.
Besides being a bombast and egomaniac who will be extremely difficult to work with, Trump is incredibly far to the Left on numerous issues that would normally disqualify any other candidate from claiming the appellation "conservative" (or avoiding the epithet "RINO"), but since Trump speaks boldy he seems to get a pass from many who should no better. Like Socialist Bernie Sanders, Trump is generally opposed to free trade. He is a protectionist who believes strongly in tariffs. He thinks affirmative action is just fine, thinks Planned Parenthood is just fine. He was a huge fan of Hillary Clinton (before he was against her) and has donated huge sums of money to her election efforts and to the Clinton's foundation. He was a huge fan of abortion rights (before he was against them). He was once a registered Democrat who favored a massive, one-time 14.25% tax on the wealthy and has also been a registered Independent (he changed from Republican to Independent and then to a registered Democrat in 1999-2001). He has said he's "generally opposed" to gun control, but fully supports an assault weapon ban. He's been fairly consistent in his support of "universal health care".

Although Ford Motor is an international corporation which employs more people outside America than within, he thinks the government is better qualified than Ford to decide where it should build its manufacturing facilities to give the most return to its shareholders and if Ford disagrees with the government, then Trump will punish it with a punitive tariff.

He correctly opines that we need to secure the Mexican border with a fence or wall but his policy position on immigration includes all kinds of ignorant, asinine, counter-productive proposals that no serious opponent of open-borders would ever support.

Boiled down to its essence, some s0-called conservatives support Trump in spite of his egomania, in spite of his bombast (his lack of decorum and obvious inability to be an effective political leader), in spite of his long-standing status as a beneficiary (and defender) of crony-capitalism, in spite of his penchant for bankruptcy and his undeniable Leftism that quintessentially disqualify him from the label "conservative" because of he seems to have given the middle finger to the ruling political class. There really is no other discernible reason. His supporters get off on that. And for the price of that "thrill running up their leg) they want to saddle the Republican Party with an establishment, big-government crony-capitalist with a history of far left positions who cannot win the general and who, if he does, will not hesitate to support the leftist positions which are today and which have in the past, been near and dear to him.

Jordan
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Bigot.

The error of recency.
Trumps "Conservatism" is questionable, no doubt. Hell, a lot of his past history is liberal of the highest order. He's a parody, a caricature if you will, of a candidate in a party in dire need of being marginalized, criticized, lampooned and ultimately wrecked.

He may be no conservative, but neither is Bush, Kasich, Carly or any of the others aside from Cruz. THAT's the point. The lack of conservatism in the GOP is what created Trump's candidacy, what fuels it, and what protects it. A glaringly non-conservative impostor leads the polls because he flings sheit the best, and people love it because they already felt like the entire GOP primary season is a mockery of the conservative voter, so why not get behind the biggest loud mouth that's currently speaking truth, and putting real issues on the table for discussion, and damn the MSM and GOP.

If he does go Independent, maybe he'll get the Democrat elected, maybe not... but at this point, intellectually honest Democrats are preferable to the GOP, because you get the SAME scumbag, just one with the balls to admit how scummy they really are.

Doesn't really matter what with the McConnell-Boehner-Emperor Roberts cabal running the other two branches, since the Democrat agenda rules the nation and will continue regardless of who is POTUS. So why not have The Donald running around breaking crap, even if he's just wearing a conservative costume?
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Trumps "Conservatism" is questionable, no doubt. Hell, a lot of his past history is liberal of the highest order. He's a parody, a caricature if you will, of a candidate in a party in dire need of being marginalized, criticized, lampooned and ultimately wrecked.

He may be no conservative, but neither is Bush, Kasich, Carly or any of the others aside from Cruz. THAT's the point. The lack of conservatism in the GOP is what created Trump's candidacy, what fuels it, and what protects it. A glaringly non-conservative impostor leads the polls because he flings sheit the best, and people love it because they already felt like the entire GOP primary season is a mockery of the conservative voter, so why not get behind the biggest loud mouth that's currently speaking truth, and putting real issues on the table for discussion, and damn the MSM and GOP.

If he does go Independent, maybe he'll get the Democrat elected, maybe not... but at this point, intellectually honest Democrats are preferable to the GOP, because you get the SAME scumbag, just one with the balls to admit how scummy they really are.

Doesn't really matter what with the McConnell-Boehner-Emperor Roberts cabal running the other two branches, since the Democrat agenda rules the nation and will continue regardless of who is POTUS. So why not have The Donald running around breaking crap, even if he's just wearing a conservative costume?

Of course Bush and Kasich are not conservative (or not trustworthily conservative). But the idea that a lack of conservatives in the primary is what fueled the rise of Trump, viz., the rise of a candidate with virtually no conservative bonafides is an utter non sequitur. Are not the conservative bonafides of Cruz, Carson and Paul unimpeachable? Has any candidate fought the good fight of conservatism more effectively (in their area of governance) than Scott Walker? Moreover, Fiorina's conservative bonafides are equally beyond reproach. What impressed me about her is that when she ran in Kalifornia, she stayed true to her position on abortion even though it was very unpopular in Kalifornia.

No offense, but your position doesn't seem to me to make any sense. BTW, I do think the Trump candidacy is an expression of a lot of people giving the "Chamber of Commerce GOP" (the GOP establishment) the middle-finger. That's all very well and good to a point (they deserve it), but not to the point of nominating a Trump.

Jordan
© 24hourcampfire