Home
Awwwwwww. Safari Guide (for the photo tourists) gets killed by lion in Zimbabwe
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — A lion charged and killed a safari guide who was leading a group of tourists in the same national park in Zimbabwe that was the home of Cecil the lion who was killed by a bow hunter in July.
Police spokeswoman Charity Charamba said Tuesday that Quinn Swales was in Hwange National Park when he spotted six lions on Monday.
"One of the lions had cubs and they became hostile. Mr. Swales at first manage to scare the lions away but then the male lion later made a U-turn and attacked him," Charamba told The Associated Press. None of the tourists was harmed, she said.
Swales was leading six tourists on a walking safari when he spotted fresh lion spoor and decided to track a pride of lions consisting of two females, two cubs and two males, according to the Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.
The collared lion, named Nxaha, attacked Swales, the parks authority said.
Cecil's killing in July by American dentist James Walter Palmer just outside the park sparked outrage in the United States. The collared lions are being monitored for an Oxford University study.
Camp Hwange, the safari company that employed Swales, said the 40-year-old guide succumbed to the injuries on the same day he was attacked.
"He was tracking lions when a male lion unexpectedly charged," said Camp Hwange in the statement issued Monday, adding that Swales was leading a photographic walking safari when he was attacked.
Camp Hwange's Facebook page says it offers game drives and game walks where "game likely to be encountered include all of the cat family, wild dog, elephants and buffalo in huge numbers."
The parks authority said a man who sells curios to tourists was killed by an elephant in the resort town of Victoria Falls, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from Hwange, also on Monday.

Who'd a thought that walking up on a pride of lions, with cubs, would have brought on a protective behavior?
One has to wonder how many of those tourists will sign up for another "walking tour"...
Stupid.
Frikin Lion.

Black lives matter,,, don'tcha know?
Outlaw lions!!!

How fricken stupid can a person be for crying out loud?
Roy it was collard must have been a Pet Lion grin

norm
Now they will want to go and kill the lion, for doing what lions do!
The lions are obviously extracting revenge for Cecil. Darwin award winner for sure. I wonder if they are going to put the lion down now that he has figured out what easy prey picture safari guides are?
Better if it had been a granola crunchin' tourist.
But...but...but...that kitty was so cute shocked
They should'a put a collar on that lion so it would behave...
Locals will tell you it's Cecil's revenge! Cecil called his couz from the Happy Hunting Grounds and ordered a hit on Mankind.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
They should'a put a collar on that lion so it would behave...

They did.
I would be very surprised if this is an evening ABC news story. Walking guide + protective pride of lions in their natural environment = dead stupid guide. News flash...bet the photo tour people had some lumpy and wet shorts after this walking tour. MTG
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Who'd a thought that walking up on a pride of lions, with cubs, would have brought on a protective behavior?
One has to wonder how many of those tourists will sign up for another "walking tour"...

But, but, but, the people had no bad intentions towards the lions! They just wanted to see them! I can't believe this could happen! This has never happened in the nature TV shows or on Disney! (inert sarcasm emoticon here)

Prayers for the guide's family.

Ed

Nice pack of pricks you lot are, a man is dead...from his own stupidity yes, but still dead.

It is not a reason for mirth.

Now if it had been Mugabe...

I feel bad for the guide and his family - one story read that he was armed, and it was his job to protect the tourists on a walking tour. There's been a couple of different versions of the story. Ivan Carter apparently knew him, and described him as very professional.

Big cats have been eating people for a long time:

From Wikipedia:

"...In 1970, South African paleontologist C. K. Brain showed that a juvenile Paranthropus robustus individual, SK 54, had been killed by a leopard at Swartkrans in Gauteng, South Africa approximately 1.8 million years ago.[16][17] The SK 54 cranium bears two holes in the back of the skull—holes that perfectly match the width and spacing of lower leopard canine teeth..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_attack

That was a leopard 2MM years ago, but lions are obviously known to eat people, too, the Tsavo lions being a prime example.

I admire the heck out of big cats, and have been close to a couple of captive ones. Possibly close to a wild mountain lion at one point, too. When I see the video of old Cecil walking past open safari cars, I wondered how long before one of them grabbed a tourist.

The way it was, had to have been, for humans to survive around lions at all. Humans were dangerous too, and killing them brought on fatal consequences...

These guys have likely speared a lion of two in their day cool

(but near as I can tell they did it in groups, not like in the cheesy one-on-one photoshop on the video intro)

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...(but near as I can tell they did it in groups...
Birdwatcher

Mike,

In 1986, while on the North Slope, I met the last Eskimo to have killed an adult Polar Bear with a spear. He did it the traditional way, alone on the ice, pretending to be a seal to decoy the bear close enough to kill it. eek shocked

Ed

Funny how lions have 2 distinct personalities. During daylight hours, they lounge around and nap and can be scared off or away. About an hour before sundown, they get up, get angry, and get to work.
Predators around here have the same behavior pattern, hatari. Except ours have face tattoos and speak Spanish - or Polynesian.
Originally Posted by hatari
Funny how lions have 2 distinct personalities. During daylight hours, they lounge around and nap and can be scared off or away. About an hour before sundown, they get up, get angry, and get to work.

Ya, in another, longer version that video I linked, they said that stunt was way too dangerous to pull after dark.

...and then I think of all the times I used to walk a couple of miles home at night in the dark in West Africa from the next village up the mountain, no flashlight or lantern, a stunt that the locals would NEVER try to pull....

...no lions right where I was, and leopards were rare. Their stated fear was of witches and witchcraft, but that cultural norm likely came from a time when they really did have a reason to be afraid of the dark eek

Birdwatcher
You mean these aint for eating crickets?
[Linked Image]
Short video by Don Heath showing what guides are dealing with around lions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JpcBF_zBY

Resume for Don Heath-
http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Don-Heath/103605935
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...(but near as I can tell they did it in groups...
Birdwatcher

Mike,

In 1986, while on the North Slope, I met the last Eskimo to have killed an adult Polar Bear with a spear. He did it the traditional way, alone on the ice, pretending to be a seal to decoy the bear close enough to kill it. eek shocked

Ed

Did that Inuit have balls the size of Coconuts ? wink

Ya, in another, longer version that video I linked, they said that stunt was way too dangerous to pull after dark.

...and then I think of all the times I used to walk a couple of miles home at night in the dark in West Africa from the next village up the mountain, no flashlight or lantern, a stunt that the locals would NEVER try to pull....

...no lions right where I was, and leopards were rare. Their stated fear was of witches and witchcraft, but that cultural norm likely came from a time when they really did have a reason to be afraid of the dark eek

Birdwatcher

Mike, I would have been much more worried about the snakes! eek
I see Darwin still had the correct theory.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Birdwatcher

Mike, I would have been much more worried about the snakes! eek

Forest cobras were the ones to really worry about, a poor girl at our school was killed by one when she stepped over a log in the forest, bit her on the ankle. So I guess I'm like most Africans I met; I personally knew of someone killed by a snake.

Yet, from that same village where I would go in the evenings during the dry season to get water, one time some blowhard forbade me to leave the village because after the coup there was a dusk to dawn curfew. I might have considered staying over but the guy was a real d&ck, so I slipped out the back way and walked that two miles back to my own village through the forest on footpaths, navigating by dead reckoning by the light of a full moon.

I know that was me because I remember doing it. Whether that was the same guy that sits typing this now I cannot tell....

Birdwatcher
What? You can't pet the big kitty?

Birdwatcher

Driving a dirt road/track in Zambia at night. Stopped to take a leak in the middle of the road. Climbed back in the car and 1/2 mile down the raod came up on a tom leopard trotting along. Whoa! Not in Kansas, Toto.
© 24hourcampfire