Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck headstone patio - 08/27/15
A few days ago we talked about a guy who used military headstone to make a patio. How he got them has been solved. An investigation showed that they're defective discards that he salvaged from a landfill where they were dumped. While his use of them might be tasteless, he did nothing illegal. The patio has since been removed.

The company that dumped them has stopped making military headstones because of the strict regulations involved.

The company who made them should have destroyed them before dumping them and the guy who salvaged them should have had the sense to know that the names on them meant a lot more to someone than using them like he did. It's too bad that it went as far as it did.
Posted By: savage24 Re: headstone patio - 08/27/15
Thanks for that follow-up, Rock Chuck. That happened here in Missouri but I had not heard "the rest of the story" until I read your post.
Posted By: bbassi Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
I read the homeowner was a "simple" man in the investigator's words. I also heard a local Veterans group was going to rebuild the man's porch for him. If both are true I feel a lot better about it then I did when it first was reported.
Posted By: rost495 Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
so what if it was non military headstone mistakes...

I can't get wound up about using mistakes... its a waste if you don't utilize them IMHO.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
well, the fellow could have at least had the common sense to turn the headstones upside down, and present the back of them.
Posted By: rost495 Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
I thought I read that was the way it was done? Of course I don't read every bit of everything that gets folks panties in a wad either.

Sam, hope you are doing ok in regards to your mother.

Jeff
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
Headstones are only polished on the top & sides. If he'd flipped them over, he'd have a rough surface showing. The photos I saw showed the names. If he'd turned them over, I doubt this would have ever come up.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: headstone patio - 08/28/15
Originally Posted by bbassi
I read the homeowner was a "simple" man in the investigator's words. I also heard a local Veterans group was going to rebuild the man's porch for him. If both are true I feel a lot better about it then I did when it first was reported.

That would be an excellent ending to the story. smile
© 24hourcampfire