Home

Feels weird, a little.

Japan has launched the second in its new class of helicopter carrier — the largest Japanese ships since World War II — in a Thursday ceremony in Yokohama.

The 24,000-ton Kaga (DDH-184) — built by ship builder Japan Marine United — bears the same name as the World War II Imperial Japanese Navy carrier Kaga that was part of Pearl Harbor attack and was sunk in the Battle of Midway.

http://news.usni.org/2015/08/27/japan-launches-second-helicopter-carrier
Perhaps. I can see some of our great surviving WWII veterans feel uneasy or angry about it. But I doubt it has much significance to most other people outside Japan.

It brings up an interesting idea though. Wouldn't it be delicious to send the leaders of Iran a photo of a B-2 named Enola Gay?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It brings up an interesting idea though. Wouldn't it be delicious to send the leaders of Iran a photo of a B-2 named Enola Gay?

I can see the Donald doing that, nose art and all. Of course since he's not into half measures, I imagine he would do a set, with the second one named Box Car.
Not real up on my history, but wouldn't that be Bocks Car.
I seem to recall an unusual spelling.
Tracks,

I believe you are correct.

Myron
Perhaps. I can see some of our great surviving WWII veterans feel uneasy or angry about it. But I doubt it has much significance to most other people outside Japan.

Or, perhaps send the picture to Japan's leaders.
tjm10025,

"bears the same name as the World War II Imperial Japanese Navy carrier Kaga that was part of Pearl Harbor attack and was sunk in the Battle of Midway."

I would think it might be bad karma naming it after a ship that was sunk by the U.S. many years ago. It would give me second thoughts about serving on her crew.

Myron
[Linked Image]
Cool. It's about time they pick up the slack a little.
National Geographic did a show several years ago about finding the Yorktown and the Kaga by the same guy who found the Titanic and the Bismarck. It's on Netflix although I forget the name of it.

On board the search vessel were two sailors from the Yorktown and two Japanese veterans - both flyers IIRC - from the Kaga.

They never found the Kaga but did find the Yorktown, it was extremely well preserved. Quite an emotional moment for the two Americans to see the AA guns still pointed upwards and to see the decks and their duty stations still well preserved.

But one thing that really hit home was the complete lack of animosity between the Americans and Japanese, in fact the opposite was true. Four people sworn to hate each other - and who quite possibly were directly responsible for the deaths of each others comrades - but after all the years there was just a shared sadness at revisiting the site of the loss of old friends and shipmates.

The Americans honored the Japanese at a wreath laying service for the Kaga and the Japanese did the same for the Americans. I guess time does heal all wounds.
Interesting times, the US recently decommissioned the carrier ENTERPRISE, and the Japs are commissioning a carrier KAGA.

Kind of sums up the state of things nicely.
Bob Ballard looked for the Caga but their records weren't accurate enough.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I guess time does heal all wounds.

Maybe, Jim, maybe. My guess is you would have to take things case by case. Based on comments from earlier this month (V-J Day commemoration), Chinese and South Korean wounds have not fully healed from Japanese aggression during WWII.

I also find it interesting that Japan has no hesitation in playing the victim. They are always willing to throw the "we are the only nation who have had nuclear (atomic) weapons used against us" card on the table, whenever they feel inclined. They can never own up to their behavior at Nanking, Bataan, Unit 731, etc. Pretty hypocritical, IMO.
Is it wrong to think where is Wade McClusky when you need him? grin

As an aside, know when the last US Warplane was shot down by a Japanese warship? 1996! grin A-6E loss

Heard the story from the pilot and B/N at the O'Club at Whidbey. His B/N asked "did they say cleared to fire?" and the next thing they knew every light on the panel came on and every c/b popped and it pitched over and they ejected.

He said they have never seen someone so embarrassed as the CO of the Destroyer. Truly "loss of face" over the accident.
Wouldn't it be delicious to send the leaders of Iran a photo of a B-2 named Enola Gay?
Oh, it WOULD indeed!! Dang - what an idea...
How about naming a B-2 "Enola Gay II" and sending it to Japan as part of an airshow?
© 24hourcampfire