Home
Posted By: funshooter OSHA on line classes - 08/28/15
Has anyone on the fire taken an online OSHA 30 class.

And if so how was it and do you have any recommendations.
Posted By: smokepole Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/28/15
You mean the construction class? My company uses those, and the 40-hour HAZWOPER. They're OK. I'll check on the vendor and get back to you.
Posted By: funshooter Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/28/15
Ha it is the construction class and not the other one.

Thanks
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/28/15
never heard of the online ones being accepted at a major job, always has to be given by a liscensed instructor.
40 hour HAZWOPER online?

What a pain in the azz. For the OP, do you mean classes from the OSHA website or from somewhere else?

Most OSHA instructor requirements do not specify a certain 'license' from the instructor. Instead, the regs have general language about qualifications. In OSHA training you surely get what you pay for. I have a lot of OSHA training experience, but not the course you mentioned. If you take a curse online,make sure it offers some type of proof that you took it so you can demonstrate compliance. And/or keep your receipt and a course description. If you use an online source,get a reputable one. PM me if you want.

Posted By: EdM Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/28/15
Interesting as on all of my projects we provided the training aligned with our corporate requirements, OSHA was a very minimal standard and clearly useless in other parts of the world.
To my knowledge there is a OSHA 10 (10 hour course), A lot of large employers are requiring their employees to have this cert.

OSHA 30 (30 hour Course) some large employers require this cert. to be a lead man or foreman.

And the OSHA 500 you need this to teach the courses.

The OSHA 10 and 30 are offered as an in class or online courses. large company's will some time bring someone in and teach large groups.

The online classes that I have looked at for the OSHA 10 and 30 let you down load and copy a temporary completed class form until they send you the official one with a wallet as proof of the completed course.

There are quite a few courses offered on line and was just curious if any one had good or bad experience's with a particular company.

I do not want to choose a bad one.
Originally Posted by EdM
Interesting as on all of my projects we provided the training aligned with our corporate requirements, OSHA was a very minimal standard and clearly useless in other parts of the world.

They are probably useless but Cali. sometimes sets the standard and the company's comply or have the insurance company's put the out of business.

That is pretty much how I lost my Business, Insurance demands from my clients.

I am working for labs now and I am finding it very hard to compete with the young idiots coming right out of school with no experience but they are getting the jobs and the old timers like me are sitting home starving.

I am trying anything I can to make myself more valuable to the employers .

with 26 years under my belt and at 54 years old I am getting tired of paying my dues over and over again.
Posted By: smokepole Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by EdM

Yup. We had a project in Iraq, tried to give the workers steel-toed boots per our own standards. They left 'em at home and showed up the next day in sandals, those boots were too good to wear to work.
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
I just had all our installers go on through the osha10 class they did it online. You get the cert and it gets added to their ID card that can be scanned showing what certs each person holds

ML
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Online OSHA classes carry little weight with hiring construction managers. Assuming you are trying to build a resume, then face-to-face classroom instruction at an OSHA outreach facility is the key. If you are wanting to become a "certified" professional safety official then skip the on-line classes and invest in yourself with nationally recognized training.

I use the OSHA outreach center at the University of Texas Arlington in my part of the country. The Certified Safety and Health Official (CSHO) is a very worthwhile credential when looking for work in construction safety.

LINK
Posted By: smokepole Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Whether somebody took the class in person or on-line makes no difference to me in hiring. It's just a requirement for some positions. Their experience and personality is what matters, not their OSHA classroom pedigree.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Time was , that MEN went out and made projects evolve,...without a NANNY STATE breathing down their necks, and guaranteeing anything but a pay check.

I file OSHA right next to, or just below EPA.

Maintaining a "California Lifestyle" is the theme,....

This whole thread is beyond pathetic.

GTC
Posted By: funshooter Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Online OSHA classes carry little weight with hiring construction managers. Assuming you are trying to build a resume, then face-to-face classroom instruction at an OSHA outreach facility is the key. If you are wanting to become a "certified" professional safety official then skip the on-line classes and invest in yourself with nationally recognized training.

I use the OSHA outreach center at the University of Texas Arlington in my part of the country. The Certified Safety and Health Official (CSHO) is a very worthwhile credential when looking for work in construction safety.

LINK

With all of the kids coming right out of school will all of their certs and no experience the competition to get work is brutal.

I have most of my certs and have earned them trough out the years on the job and not out of a class room.

The OSHA cert is just that an other card to show to the employers.

I am not looking for a managers position just an other way to possibly beet the curve before they start requiring it.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by EdM

Ditto ^^^^

I'm a retired Const. superintendent. My employer always provided mine.
They'd hire a certified instructor and hold classes at the main office.
We got certificates that looked like diploma's. I don't know if they'd help on a resume because I stayed with the same company until I retired. This day and age they sure couldn't hurt though.
Posted By: funshooter Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Time was , that MEN went out and made projects evolve,...without a NANNY STATE breathing down their necks, and guaranteeing anything but a pay check.

I file OSHA right next to, or just below EPA.

Maintaining a "California Lifestyle" is the theme,....

This whole thread is beyond pathetic.

GTC

I agree it is pathetic but this is where construction is headed.

If you had ever worked on any MSHA projects you would know and under stand what a nanny state is all about.

You can not even spit on the ground if an MSHA inspector is around you. That is a $250 fine for the first o fence due to health risks and pathogens be spread between workers.

I have watched the Nanny State grow and grow over the years and you do what they say or you are done.

It is very sad that our country is going in this direction by micro managing every thing we do. I do not agree with it but it is what it is.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Leadership is not your area.

You just ACKNOWLEDGED being one at the behest of, and taking marching orders from a "Nanny State".

Can't speak to your putting THAT up here and expecting much.

Try and develop some other skill sets
Posted By: EdM Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM

Yup. We had a project in Iraq, tried to give the workers steel-toed boots per our own standards. They left 'em at home and showed up the next day in sandals, those boots were too good to wear to work.

I have done multi-tens-of-billions of dollar projects in the U.S., Canada, Iraq, Qatar, Kazakhstan (both offshore and onshore), Australia and Korea and have never "allowed" our HSE requirements to be compromised. Yes some regions required more enforcement and those tended to be the first/second world nationalities. The third world crafts complied as they were the bread and butter sending earnings back home. They die, the family dies. It's that simple. The Canadian's and Aussie's were the worst.
Posted By: gmack Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/30/15
I'm in the process of taking a 30 hr on line class by Clicksafety. I'm about 75% done - trying to do a 1 hr module a day now to finish.

For me it sucks. I've had the class before so it is boring. I just speed click through it and go to the quiz and final tests ASAP. I don't think I'll have 20 hours in it when done. I just hope the program doesn't fail me for that?

As far as comprehensive and a good tool- I'd say yes and probably better than sitting for days in the real classes.

Posted By: NathanL Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/30/15
It wasn't that big of a deal for me. There's a company just down the street that all they do is OSHA and site specific stuff and another one across town.

They just add your cert to the back of the card that's recognized all over the petro chemical cooridor of Baton Rouge, New Orleans and the Houston area. Some kind of group effort deal to make it easier. So you can get your confined entry cert at the same place as you do your Exxon complex cert or Dow etc... You are issued a card with your pic on it and you are supposed to have it on you at all times. But it's coded in with your entry permit to each specific site so I've never been asked for it and they are in the same database sharing deal with the "alliance" that does the classes.

I have so many site specific and other BS deals they had to issue me a 2nd card. I think they can only fit 30-40 on a single card.

My boss at the time (the owner) told me they give you 1 free caught sleeping watching the site specific videos after that you have to come back the next day and start over.

Personally I think they need to give the test and then the class. If you fail the basic ones before the class you probably have no business being there.
Posted By: smokepole Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by EdM

I have done multi-tens-of-billions of dollar projects in the U.S., Canada, Iraq, Qatar, Kazakhstan (both offshore and onshore), Australia and Korea and have never "allowed" our HSE requirements to be compromised.

You're obviously very special.
Posted By: funshooter Re: OSHA on line classes - 08/30/15
Well I started the Nanny state course today.

I do not want to become a stay at home non employable alcoholic do nothing.
I would like to keep paying my bills and fighting the fight.

© 24hourcampfire