Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
A guy with 4 wives in UT is promising to take it all the way to SCOTUS if necessary to legalize his marriages.
Where will they find enough women for every man to have his 4 wives?

'Sister Wives' Cite Gay Marriage Ruling in Polygamy Case LINDSAY WHITEHURST Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) | A polygamous family says the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage shows that laws restricting consensual adult relationships are outdated, even if certain unions are unpopular.

Kody Brown and his four wives argue in court documents that their reality TV show "Sister Wives" shows polygamous marriages can be as healthy as monogamous ones.

"The Browns were investigated and no crimes or harm was found in their plural family," attorney Jonathan Turley wrote in court documents filed Wednesday in front of the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. He has said the family is prepared to take the legal fight to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

The Browns are defending a legal victory they won in 2013, when a federal judge struck down key parts of Utah's law banning polygamy. Advocacy groups for polygamy and individual liberties called the ruling a significant decision that removed the threat of arrest for the state's plural families.

Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes appealed, saying courts have long upheld laws banning polygamy because they prevent abuse of women and children.

Unlike same-sex marriage advocates, the Browns are not seeking full legal recognition of polygamous marriages. That portion of Utah's bigamy law prohibiting multiple marriages license was left in place by U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups when he decided that a provision of the state law forbidding cohabitation violated the family's freedom of religion.

In most polygamous families, the man is legally married to one woman but only "spiritually married" to the others.

The teaching that polygamy brings exaltation in heaven is a legacy of the early Mormon church, but the mainstream Salt Lake City-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints abandoned the practice in 1890 and strictly prohibits it today.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
As far as I care, any man is entitled to as much misery as he asks for.
Posted By: byc Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
I agree.

Had I been able to marry all the women I was dating when I was ready to wed I would have done it. As it turned out I was 3 months away from my .gov restricted one choice and hauled azzz....

NO regrets!!!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
There's not much that I care less about.

The world is fulla ugly women. Somebody's gotta feed 'em.

If some guy wants to take on a half dozen of 'em at a time, who am I to take offense at his ugly woman fetish?

Break it down. Screw 2 on Monday,...2 on Wednesday, and 2 on Friday.

Eat alla their biscuits and gravy on Saturday and Sunday.

*shrugg*
You know.... you raise another really good point. Someone is bound to challenge the courts and declare his or her right to marry both a man and a woman for a 3some.

This is gonna' get weird. Really really weird!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by Tracks

sadly, none of these bozos can afford all those wives, so they wind up on the dole, and WE pay for their multiple families. Happens over and over with the poly what evers.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
I've done reached the age where I think that any man with a brain will order one'nem Jack'o'matic machines outta Hustler magazine and let the women go their own way.

,...but that's just me.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
All the wives get jobs , delagate chores to them when they are off and you can set around drink and screw a differnt one every night of the week , where's the problem ??:)
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've done reached the age where I think that any man with a brain will order one'nem Jack'o'matic machines outta Hustler magazine and let the women go their own way.

,...but that's just me.

OMG I'm rolling here. Just sit back and eat those sausage and gravy tater chips!! All to yourself and the machine. TF
4 wives??? I love my wife but the idea of dealing with the emotions of 4 of them? Noon!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
This will not last. some may be able to support a dozen wives and he may find a dozen women crazy to marry him but a dozen mothers-in law will end that stupid idea real quick! eek
OMG---had not thought of that!! Great point.
I loved my MIL buy doubt I could have handled two of her let alone 12.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
I have no problem with polygamy. It's been practiced from the beginning of time to other cultures in the modern world we live in.

There is no logical basis for disallowing it.
Posted By: BFD Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
how bout polygyny then?
or Polyandry??
Posted By: BFD Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
yeah that stuff
I agree, it dose not bother me one bit. My wife and I have talked about it and she agrees then Quotes the line from The Duchess And Dirt Water Fox, "One night on, six nights off."

It is nothing either of us in interested in but we do not have a problem if someone else wants to do it. Whit all that's going on in the world today it is nothing I will loose a seconds sleep over.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
Bin Laden supposedly had a bunch of grief with his wives arguing and fighting. If the scariest terrorist in the world can't make 4 women get along how the hell would I do it?

grin
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
I have a problem with it if Jebediah claims his 20 children and his 6 wives as dependents on his 1040. I'm sure that will help the tax rolls.....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
They'll have to add 2 extra pages for dependents on the 1040.
If any man wants 2 women in his life -

he deserves 'em.
Posted By: EdM Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
Originally Posted by Scott F

It is nothing either of us in interested in but we do not have a problem if someone else wants to do it. Whit all that's going on in the world today it is nothing I will loose a seconds sleep over.

Bingo.
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

I knew we could agree on something. grin
I only read the first two lines and thought any bastard that wants four wifes damn well deserves it

One was enough
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

I knew we could agree on something. grin

No doubt here. I, like you, can't agree on everything. We are, after all, individuals. Hatchet buried...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/29/15
Once I tried two at a time, and it worked pretty well, actually. They competed for my affections a bit. Both had good jobs, and we three could afford some luxuries that a one or two bread-winner set up would have found a stretch.

It was H@ll when their periods synchronized! shocked eek

I'm happy with my "old hacksaw" I've had for the last 28 years. She is a little rusty, but she's still sharp. wink
I fully agree with your last comment, to the year. The former stuff I cannot imagine.
There's certainly more historical support for polygamy than gay marriage.

Based on the ruling the Court handed down, I don't see how they can deny polygamists the right to marry. Basically, Kennedy said if you love someone, that's all that matters.

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
Posted By: Squidge Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I have a problem with it if Jebediah claims his 20 children and his 6 wives as dependents on his 1040. I'm sure that will help the tax rolls.....

Tax codes can be written to limit the number of exemptions. whistle
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by Squidge

Welfare pays more, based on number of kids. Perhaps we could re-do that too?
Posted By: Squidge Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Squidge

Welfare pays more, based on number of kids. Perhaps we could re-do that too?

I would be OK with that.
Posted By: antlers Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Many of em' are welfare frauds to the Nth degree.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/9084/bleeding-the-beast
Posted By: dassa Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
I have more respect for a guy who claims to have four wives and is trying to raise his ten kids- than for a guy with one wife, is screwing ten others, and has no idea how many kids he has.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
I gave this subject some thought back in my younger days, and figured it could work if a fella had all his wives working shift work - on different shifts, so no more than one would be "home" at any given time. Your mind can take strange turns after a week of 12 hour night shifts in a chemical plant!
Posted By: 257wby Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by dassa
I have more respect for a guy who claims to have four wives and is trying to raise his ten kids- than for a guy with one wife, is screwing ten others, and has no idea how many kids he has.

This is true!!! I agree!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
In general, polygamists have the wives/kids settled in different homes altogether, and the husband simply makes his rounds visiting each set. The wives/kids rarely actually live together.

Polyamory is certainly coming, as there is no logical legal argument to be made against it following Obergefell.

There will be even more unusual legal unions coming soon after as well.

Anything goes out there--be careful folks!
Posted By: Gus Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
as has been often said, the penalty for bigmany is having two wives.

but seriously, polygamy has been with us a long time. both the ancient Hebrews and others have practiced polygamy as standard issue social structure.

it still goes on in many parts of the world. but a husband-wife economic and family unit is very efficient toward both production and consumption.

the gov't should stay out of all marriage, no matter it's style, type, or sort.

Posted By: bea175 Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
About time this law was done away with, if you can stand more than one wife at time then you should be able to go for it. Real marriage is finished in this country today.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Since the court decision was based on the logic of "whatever makes you happy", this should sail right through.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by Tracks

LOL
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
If a man wants plural wives I truly believe he is psychotic. Plus, you can't fix stupid!! 1 wife...1 man! MTG
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
I believe it's not the government's business who or how many can be married as long as all are consenting adults. It is the government's business to manage tax expenditures to protect the wider interests of the public.
The FLDS practice of marrying young girls is really just pedophillia and should be prosecuted as such. It would also be a good idea imo to change the age of marital consent to 21. If you're not old enough to buy a beer you're damned sure not old enough to understand the gravity of marriage.
Posted By: rattler Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I believe it's not the government's business who or how many can be married as long as all are consenting adults. It is the government's business to manage tax expenditures to protect the wider interests of the public.
The FLDS practice of marrying young girls is really just pedophillia and should be prosecuted as such. It would also be a good idea imo to change the age of marital consent to 21. If you're not old enough to buy a beer you're damned sure not old enough to understand the gravity of marriage.

though by that argument you also shouldnt be able to sign up for the armed forces cause if you arent mature enough to decide to get married you sure arent to risk your life....
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

though by that argument you also shouldnt be able to sign up for the armed forces cause if you arent mature enough to decide to get married you sure arent to risk your life....

I could go with that argument too. Military service is another big commitment but the commitment is temporary even if the consequences may not be. The military is a great way to go for many young people starting out but the risks of lifetime disability or death are real. I joined at eighteen and it did me a world of good but I also question the wisdom of sending young folks to places like Iraq and subjecting them to such a stressful and ambiguous mission.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
I also question the wisdom of sending young folks to places like Iraq and subjecting them to such a stressful and ambiguous mission.
Such as seeing the Iraqis with their 4 wives and 16 kids each? grin
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I also question the wisdom of sending young folks to places like Iraq and subjecting them to such a stressful and ambiguous mission.
Such as seeing the Iraqis with their 4 wives and 16 kids each? grin

Yeah , I'm sure that's what screws up their heads. Not the uncertainty of the mission and the lack of a national sense of accomplishment to offset the deep misgivings about the things they did and saw. When our grandfathers came home from WW II there was a collective sense we had won and accomplished something good. I think that helps returning veterans deal with the mental aspects of the very dark side of war. Today we send our fighting men and women to a place where the goals shift , war isn't won , and then return to a home that has nothing invested and doesn't care. They get to feel all the guilt , loss , anger , sadness with nothing to put on the other side of the scale like a war won and the world a better place. I think it takes a strong mind to hold it together under these conditions. An older more mature person has a better chance of dealing with it successfully I would guess.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Polygamy: here it comes - 08/30/15
... an idea who's time has come .
© 24hourcampfire