Home
Posted By: Klikitarik That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/29/15
Corn?

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2013-03-13/that-sickening-sugar-subsidy

Nothing like sugar in the gas tankā€¦.
mad
Posted By: 700LH Re: That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/29/15
Good time for Coke and many other products that use corn syrup to switch back to sugar.
Corn is well subsidized which helps keep corn syrup prices below the price-supported sugar prices.
Posted By: 700LH Re: That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/29/15
It there is away, the gooberment can/will mess things up one way or another.
corn is a starch, starch is a sugar pretty complicated but the gov. is busy solving global warming
Sure is hard on chainsaws, weedeaters, and generators.
Another example of how we all pay the price when government gets involved.
Its all about over now anyway so it doesn't matter much but sit back and watch the carnage begin.
Originally Posted by lastround
Sure is hard on chainsaws, weedeaters, and generators.
[bleep] should pay us all bigtime for all its cost on the above... I hate the stuff.
How many of our congressmen have ever been involved in business for profit? They don't have a clue how to do business. Their pay and pensions should be indexed to the government income/outgo balance.
Look,...the "Environmental Protection Agency" that just killed the Animas watershed,through gross incompetence, is WELL FUNDED, and the darling of the left.

As Powell and I have been trying to get through some thicker heads,...the enforcement of their "Water Regs" in 37 states that lick political balls SHOULD be a cause for concern,....

No flame,...but it looks(sadly) like there are just more pressing issues and events occupying our readers / members time, for the last coupla' days..

Too many voters (and bleeding hearts) have NO idea what it takes to sustain their habits - like eating in a lighted, comfortable home.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/29/15
Get rid of the stupid laws regulating alcohol and the farmers can produce their own ethanol and sell it at the local level. They cover their losses when prices fall, tax payers aren't stuck with the bill for subsidizing them and the guv has less control over we the people. Win all around.
The average American has absolutely no idea what their tax dollars are subsidizing. Most probably don't even realize that the deduction they get on taxes for their kids is a "subsidy".

Here's just a few:

Salmon (yep, from 2014, your state) http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...0dc93ca-1416-11e4-85ab-001a4bcf6878.html

Milk: http://www.jsonline.com/business/fe...ricing-system-b99194706z1-242680671.html

Rice, Alfalfa, and Catfish:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/20/farm-bill-perks/

Lots more out there for those that want to look and get pi--ed off even more.

What ever happened to good old capitalist competition?

And when will they start subsidizing my hunting and fishing?

(Maybe in a way they already do?)

Geno
I have watched a lot of Judge Judy since my back operation. Before you jump me, in the day time here it is that or soap opera's. Anyway, the sheer number of folks on the Government teat is astounding, and they all want to sue somebody for mostly petty stuff. The other day the Judge was quizzing a man that his ex wife was suing for part of the income tax return, and it seems that He made $12,000 gross and somehow got nearly $5000 back on his income tax refund. I can't figure how that works, but I do not doubt it. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have watched a lot of Judge Judy since my back operation. Before you jump me, in the day time here it is that or soap opera's. Anyway, the sheer number of folks on the Government teat is astounding, and they all want to sue somebody for mostly petty stuff. The other day the Judge was quizzing a man that his ex wife was suing for part of the income tax return, and it seems that He made $12,000 gross and somehow got nearly $5000 back on his income tax refund. I can't figure how that works, but I do not doubt it. miles
The Earned Income Tax Credit is a welfare program that never gets added into federal handout calculations. There are millions who get back far more than they paid in because of it.
I don't always agree with the subsidy stuff, very few around here are collecting such. , but people should keep in mind farmers are the only busneiss that pays the "wanted" price for equpiment and supplies while being told how much someone will pay for their product.
but people should keep in mind farmers are the only busneiss that pays the "wanted" price for equpiment and supplies while being told how much someone will pay for their product.

Look how long the Government has been involved in farming and then you will see why it is so messed up. miles
but people should keep in mind farmers are the only busneiss that pays the "wanted" price for equpiment and supplies while being told how much someone will pay for their product.

Look how long the Government has been involved in farming and then you will see why it is so messed up. miles

And compare it to cattlemen who are not directly subsidized.

Some do OK.... some don't.

And weather is still the biggest factor.

Old time Cow/calf operators followed one rule..... when your calves are ready to sell, ship 'em, regardless of the market price.

As it should be. miles
Originally Posted by curdog4570

And compare it to cattlemen who are not directly subsidized.

And weather is still the biggest factor.

Old time Cow/calf operators followed one rule..... when your calves are ready to sell, ship 'em, regardless of the market price.
That's how's it's been around this farm since I was a little kid. We have/do play in the crop prodution some. Some years have been good some not. never collected any gov. funds for such. Yhe only gov. money collected here has been some of the drought relife funds to help with feed and water (water was our issue ) last few years most cattle men across the country has done the same
The urbanites desire a safe, steady, no-drama food supply. To have such, the govt must be involved heavily in its regulation.

I don't really blame farmers for playing the game the way it is rigged by the politicians.
That's the trouble, if you don't 'play the game', you're not playing on a levee field. The same applies to many of the tax loopholes. Those who don't hire tax people to take every break they can are may not be playing on the same field that the wealthy or larger tax-payers do.

I don't buy into the idea that society can run well without government involvement. I think that overlooks a lot of lessons learned throughout history. But there are a lot of things that just make you go, 'hmm?'
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Correct they do. Do you think the 9 million acres to hunt in the state of Washington are paid for with your hunting and fishing license fees?

I wish the government would subsidize or at least protect the industry I work in. Chinese competition is brutal.
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Correct they do. Do you think the 9 million acres to hunt in the state of Washington are paid for with your hunting and fishing license fees?

I wish the government would subsidize or at least protect the industry I work in. Chinese competition is brutal.

No, don't think that at all. I maybe should have put a "winkie" emoticon at the end of my question.

Most of my license fees goes to the WA DFW for their needs, Some of that is State wildlife areas. Lots of Federal land here in WA, "subsidized" by the taxpayers of the USA. Some game and fish mgmt monies come from excise taxes on sporting goods and such. A bunch of that is distributed to the states for their use by way of grants and such.

Everyone it seems is "subsidized" in one way or another. It's kinda like the "special interest" labels thrown around. It's been said they are only "special" if they aren't one's own interests.

Geno
Posted By: Dutch Re: That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/31/15
Originally Posted by ldholton
I don't always agree with the subsidy stuff, very few around here are collecting such. , but people should keep in mind farmers are the only busneiss that pays the "wanted" price for equpiment and supplies while being told how much someone will pay for their product.

like heck I do.......

Irritates me to no end. Farmers poor-mouthing because of the choices they make as far as crops and their refusal to market them properly. The day I have to take whatever some conglomerate buyer somewhere is telling me he's paying will be the day I start a 9-5 job.
Posted By: edk Re: That Damned Corn Ethanol... - 08/31/15
Where do you sell your farm grains and such where you set the price? ED K
Originally Posted by edk
Where do you sell your farm grains and such where you set the price? ED K

Or try setting your own price on the open tobacco market and see how it works out
Don't forget the DOD recently paid $150 per gallon of algae based fuel for some jets.
Your tax dollars at work.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/report-pentagon-paid-150-per-gallon-for-green-jet-fuel/
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by ldholton

like heck I do.......

Irritates me to no end. Farmers poor-mouthing because of the choices they make as far as crops and their refusal to market them properly. The day I have to take whatever some conglomerate buyer somewhere is telling me he's paying will be the day I start a 9-5 job.

you don't raise any grain or traditional livestock then , do you ?
One could attempt to "niche market" their grain and livestock, and on a small scale it does work. Tapping into the localvore movement and CSA market for instance. But that is very small scale.
Our government wouldn't cram something down our throats that wasn't good for us. Would they? wink
© 24hourcampfire