Home
Posted By: MSRHunt Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Obama, Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton do not want you to hunt with an AR15. If you do you're under minding there argument that no one hunts with an AR-15 and therefore they have no civilian purpose. We should not embarrass dear leader by hunting with AR-15's. Its not obedient as his subjects to do so. I plead with you to obey dear leader and never hunt with an AR-15. Use a shot gun as Vice president Biden said to do or even a bolt action rifle but never hunt with an auto loading rifle. "Military style" rifles have no place in the woods because dear leader says so and that's all that matters. Just shut up and do as your told!!
Posted By: Eric308 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Originally Posted by Eric308
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

And ... here we go...

Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
4ager - pass the popcorn please.. wink
Posted By: 700LH Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

Seriously out of touch with the reality of what a AR is capable of.

We had a young bull elk get caught up in barbwire and break his leg awhile back so we called Fish&Game.
Game Warden showed up few hours later and followed the elk that had slowly moved into deeper cover then shot it in the head with a open sighted AR .223.

When asked he told us he had dispatched several with that same rifle...

Would I go afield hunting elk with a AR?
No, but that doesn't mean they can't get er done in capable hands.
Posted By: MSRHunt Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

I agree with you they don't belong in the woods as dear leader tells us. Look this pathetic AR-15 (7mm Valkyrie AR) I built pushing a 140gr Nosler BT at 2720fps you could barely take a jack rabbit with that wink

Posted By: jimdgc Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Why would a game warden carry an AR in.223? Of all of the things I can think of that a game warden might need to do, that just would not be my firearm of choice. Truth is, I don't know why the police would have one. Great prairie dog rifle though.
This is going to get good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
The AR makes a great hunting platform

It's an incredibly versatile weapon
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Why would a game warden carry an AR in.223? Of all of the things I can think of that a game warden might need to do, that just would not be my firearm of choice. Truth is, I don't know why the police would have one. Great prairie dog rifle though.

I'm guessing the GW was issued an AR as much about possible biped issues as actual game control.
I should also add we should never call them Modern Sporting Rifles that upsets dear leader we should call them "Assault Rifles".
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

I knew a guy at one time that had a buffalo ranch. He popped them in the ear to put them down, similar to a .22magnum being used to put down steers at the slaughterhouse.
While it isn't something i would particularly use, did see a guy in my hunting party pop a mule deer last year with one. Ran for about a quarter mile before it bled out.
But if you looked at the well equipped game and fish truck where i like to go to play, you would find a police shotgun, and a.r., and probably a bolt rifle. Game and fish can enforce more laws in arizona than basically any other law enforcement agency.
Gees working smoki bear detail i used to carry one 30 years ago.
I had a real good friend of mine retire off the maricopa s.o. a few years ago. H carried in the trunk a .375H&H with solids in it for those late night visits in south east phoenix, where you found homes built out of railroad ties.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Originally Posted by MSRHunt
Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Obama, Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton do not want you to hunt with an AR15. If you do you're under minding there argument that no one hunts with an AR-15 and therefore they have no civilian purpose. We should not embarrass dear leader by hunting with AR-15's. Its not obedient as his subjects to do so. I plead with you to obey dear leader and never hunt with an AR-15. Use a shot gun as Vice president Biden said to do or even a bolt action rifle but never hunt with an auto loading rifle. "Military style" rifles have no place in the woods because dear leader says so and that's all that matters. Just shut up and do as your told!!

An is about the last rifle I would ever hunt with, but only because I find them "uncomfortable" to carry, compared to everything else. But, hey...some people think they're cool and more power to them.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
I use several of mine in both 223 and 308 and have no complaints. The 308 rifles are not too awkward and the 223 rifles have been used for one-shot kills several times. I usually use a bolt action for most of my deer hunting but have no problem with the evil black rifles in the field when hunting deer.

I have a friend who has used an AK or SKS for years when running deer with dogs. He does not let many go past him.

Those commies mentioned can go sit on snakes. I am afraid the poor snakes would have a hard time getting the bad taste out of their mouths.
Ok back to reality. I find it curious that some people jumped immediately to discuss 223 the AR15 does not imply 223 it could or could not be. A Remington 700 may or may not be a 308. The platform is not the caliber. It just sets the dimensions that the cartridge has to conform to in order use the platform.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
As long as the cartridge & bullet is appropriate for the game at hand, they work fine.

My only gripe about them is, if you prefer to hunt with a cold chamber, it is hard to charge one quietly. So a bolt or a single shot is little more practical in those cases.
Popular hunting cartridges for the AR-15 are

6.5 Grendel
6.8SPC
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
25-45 Sharps
30 Remington AR
50 Beowulf

Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
As long as the cartridge & bullet is appropriate for the game at hand, they work fine.

My only gripe about them is, if you prefer to hunt with a cold chamber, it is hard to charge one quietly. So a bolt or a single shot is little more practical in those cases.

Use the forward assist to seat the bolt quietly or use a side charger.
Posted By: JGray Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
This sounds like some of my relatives - wife's sister and her husband got rather agitated when I told them you can hunt in Montana with an AR15. That was in reply to them going off on how there is no sporting use for such a nasty "assault weapon". They proceeded to argue until they were blue in the face that you absolutely cannot hunt here with one. Their ignorance (stupidity) knows no bounds - I shot a deer with one that year just because...

Use the forward assist to seat the bolt quietly or use a side charger.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

"Click" said said the gun, when I pulled the trigger on a doe, after easing a round into the chamber, and pushing on the FA. The bolt didn't quite go into battery, and it didn't fire. smirk
Originally Posted by 4ager

And ... here we go...

I have Eric on ignore, for just that reason. smile

oh, and I hunt with a loaded chamber. shocked
Posted By: RickyD Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
The only fantasy here is that you think you know something about guns. Wrong!
Jeff Cooper???
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Damn, about 25 years ago I traded my Cowboy Machine gun,30-30 model 94 for a AR-15,I carry it 24-7 in my jeep at one time or another I have killed every thing in S.Texas, including some BIG CRITTERS, and some NOT so big critters, wish someone had told me it wouldn't work, I still have that 30-30 in the safe as a back up gun. maybe I should switch them, just to be on the safe side, wouldn't want to piss-off B.Boxer, she knows more about firearms and there use, than all of us put together. Rio 7
Originally Posted by RickyD

Lol

Lol

I think it's time for someone to take grandpa back to the nursing home.
Pasting skitter bunnies is GREAT fun with an open sight AR.

If at first you do not succeed, just grin and keep squeezing the trigger as he sprints through the snow!

It's great fun.

Posted By: deflave Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
If I could only own one rifle, it would be an AR.

Travis
#blackriflesmatter
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

Knows about as much as this one.........

Originally Posted by Notropis
I use several of mine in both 223 and 308 and have no complaints. The 308 rifles are not too awkward and the 223 rifles have been used for one-shot kills several times. I usually use a bolt action for most of my deer hunting but have no problem with the evil black rifles in the field when hunting deer.

I have a friend who has used an AK or SKS for years when running deer with dogs. He does not let many go past him.

Those commies mentioned can go sit on snakes. I am afraid the poor snakes would have a hard time getting the bad taste out of their mouths.

I've killed my share of kritters with a pos old sks.

Damn good choice walking thick cover for late season deer.
Even with original wood stock that was built for little oriental bastards with arms too short to stick their hands in their pockets.
Very maneuverable in thick cover.
Meat in the freezer.

Never owned an AR, will take this under advisement.

Have killed most everything from midgets to buff with a M16. Do that count?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Only if you had the proper cites permits for the midgets
Posted By: Higginez Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

[Linked Image]
VERY popular platform among coyote and wolf hunters. Many times you need that fast follow up shot. And a third. And fourth.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
I can think of a few times with wolves that I wished I had one.

I hate humping the damn things around though.
Most of the hunting I do, and the animals that I kill, are with my AR's.

I have one that's medium heavy, but when I want light, I pick up my M-4. Both shoot under MOA. Virtually everything I shoot at is DRT. What's not to like? grin

From coyotes to oryx. DRT.

I think Blue and I must be kinfolk... smile
Mind you, I did take a spike with one last year, and it didn't run far. One shot was all that was required.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
^^^^^^^^^^^^

shocked shocked shocked

AR and blue tape????

grin

[Linked Image]
It was raining. No point letting rain in the barrel smile
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

6.5 Grendel
6.8SPC
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
25-45 Sharps
30 Remington AR
50 Beowulf

Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR

You forgot,
7.62 x 39
WSSM
300 Blackout
Posted By: Notropis Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
I noticed on the few TV shows I have watched in the last decade that some of those folks in those Alaskan "reality" shows use AR's for their everyday hunting that puts meat on their tables. It seems to work for them.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Game wardens here carry 10-22's...does that mean they are big game rifles too?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Not much I couldn't kill with a 5.56! Very versatile.
It was raining. No point letting rain in the barrel smile

You sure you weren't using the blue tape around the flash hider for a suppressor? Looks kind of iffy to me! grin
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Well the CT Game Wardens carry AR-15's and they dispatch a lot of deer with them too, and they also have those dastardly 30 rd magazines too! For deer hunting with good ammo, and decent marksmanship they will do ok for that purpose- but hunting has nothing to do with the Second Amendment !
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Only if you had the proper cites permits for the midgets

Them little phuocs were shootin' at me. Screw permits I say.

I don't understand the comments about difficult or awkward to carry. The -16 has a damn carry handle. How simple is that, hey?

No batteries required! 8 pounds of F.U. loaded.

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm.....let's see.....virtually every person they encounter is armed, at least with a knife. Excellent rate of fire, quickly and easily reloaded, proven to be a capable man stopper........nah, why would anyone want one of these?
458 socom velo bullet
Hodgdon Lil'Gun 32.61 85.00 1815 325 g ftx

have killed many critters with the same bullet at slower speed from a 45-70.
and my ar15 458 socom is more accurate than my marlin 1895's

this year am going to hunt critters with the ar. 4 legged that is.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15
Not a fan of "Homeland Defense Rifles". I guess you could call me a FUD, cause all mine got wood stocks and blued steel. Never was a fan of the .223 for anything bigger than varmints either. Yes, I know they'll kill bigger stuff, but face it, a lot of these "Cornfield Comandos" aren't as good as they think they are. MFR, Modern Fantasy Rifle. I like it.

BUT, if these black rifles with no sporting purpose bring in more shooters into the sport, regardless of whether they hunt or not, that's a win for us. More shooters equals more second amendment supporters.

Besides, the 2nd Amendment ain't about your 700 Remington or my 77 Ruger. It's about military style rifles and home/self defense.
7mm
Originally Posted by steve4102

6.5 Grendel
6.8SPC
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
25-45 Sharps
30 Remington AR
50 Beowulf

Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR

You forgot,
7.62 x 39
WSSM
300 Blackout

I'm a admin at a site linked in my signature line for hunting with AR15's and also the Facebook Group Hunting with Modern Sporting Rifles and very few people are hunting with 7.63X39 or WSSM and well for the 300BLK its fairly under powered for most general hunting and don't recommend it.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not a fan of "Homeland Defense Rifles". I guess you could call me a FUD, cause all mine got wood stocks and blued steel. Never was a fan of the .223 for anything bigger than varmints either. Yes, I know they'll kill bigger stuff, but face it, a lot of these "Cornfield Comandos" aren't as good as they think they are. MFR, Modern Fantasy Rifle. I like it.

BUT, if these black rifles with no sporting purpose bring in more shooters into the sport, regardless of whether they hunt or not, that's a win for us. More shooters equals more second amendment supporters.

Besides, the 2nd Amendment ain't about your 700 Remington or my 77 Ruger. It's about military style rifles and home/self defense.
7mm

My Modern Sporting Rifle is not a 223, is not tactical and is not black. If 2720fps from a 7mm 140gr Nosler BT is not a 100% capable deer round i don't know what is. I'm only 20fps or so from 7mm08 factory ammo and some consider the 7mm08 the best all around North American hunting cartridge. The AR-15 is not a caliber its a platform capable of many different cartridges and many different purposes.

My 7mm Valkyrie AR in the AR-15 platform
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7mm

My Modern Sporting Rifle is not a 223, is not tactical and is not black. If 2720fps from a 7mm 140gr Nosler BT is not a 100% capable deer round i don't know what is. I'm only 20fps or so from 7mm08 factory ammo and some consider the 7mm08 the best all around North American hunting cartridge. The AR-15 is not a caliber its a platform capable of many different cartridges and many different purposes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How much does it weigh?

That was idiotic...
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

7mm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How much does it weigh?

Its right around 9lbs scoped as you see here.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/21/15

Huh?

Hey, I have a 22 oz. wooden handled framing hammer.

I think the air powered nail guns are a poor choice for a serious carpenter. The smaller staple size ones are "underpowered" and the larger ones for 16p's are "too unwieldy".

I also have a muzzleloader with .36 and .50 bbls. I could get by hunting most everything with those, "seriously". I guess if I wanted to hunt birds I better get me a fowling piece too?

Ok guys, if I end up getting my very first AR this year, probably a .233/5.56, can I at least hunt javelina and bunny wabbits with it? Although that will not be its intended primary purpose.

Sorry Eric, but around this campfire I think you're outnumbered. Good guy that you may be, you may have stepped in it. No offense to you personally, I just take issue with your liine of thinking.

And as others have mentioned, it's really not about hunting.

Geno
Watch your tongue, I gots two air powered nail guns. There ain't nuttin' in this world I can't nail.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/22/15

Idiot sighting!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/22/15
7mm

a lot of the cornfield commando's probably shoot more in a week than you do in a year.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/22/15
Watch your tongue, I gots two air powered nail guns. There ain't nuttin' in this world I can't nail.

DD, I bet there is nuttin' you can't nail. wink

And I bet they are "semi-automatic assault" nail guns. grin

And they are probably "high caliber" and also have high capacity magazines. Are they black and scary looking too? With flash hiders and the infamous "pistol grip". grin grin

You may enjoy them, but I still like hickory handles and drop forged claw heads! I haven't found a blued one yet, but I bet I could send mine off to one of the shops. Or better yet, to Turnbulls for color hardening!

Enjoy your day.

Geno
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Don't hunt with an AR-15 - 09/22/15
Used a rem 7400 in 308 for years. Got an AR in 308 and it is more accurate than the 7400. And the AR kills things dead too.
© 24hourcampfire