Home

Russian warplanes began bombarding Syrian opposition targets in the war-torn nation's north Wednesday, following a terse meeting at which a Russian general asked Pentagon officials to clear out of Syrian air space and was rebuffed, Fox News has learned.

A U.S. official said Russian airstrikes targeted fighters in the vicinity of Homs, located roughly 60 miles east of a Russian naval facility in Tartus, and were carried out by a "couple" of Russian bombers. The strikes hit targets in Homs and Hama, but there is no presence of ISIS in those areas, a senior U.S. defense official said. These planes are hitting areas where Free Syrian Army and other anti-Assad groups are located, the official said.

Activists and a rebel commander on the ground said the Russian airstrikes have mostly hit moderate rebel positions and civilians. In a video released by the U.S.-backed rebel group Tajamu Alezzah, jets are seen hitting a building claimed to be a location of the group in the town of Latamna in the central Hama province.

The group commander Jameel al-Saleh told a local Syrian news website that the group's location was hit by Russian jets but didn't specify the damage.

A group of local activists in the town of Talbiseh in Homs province recorded at least 16 civilians killed, including two children.

According to a U.S. senior official, Presidents Obama and Putin agreed on a process to "deconflict" military operations. The Russians on Wednesday "bypassed that process," the official said.

"That's not how responsible nations do business," the official said.

The development came after Pentagon officials, in a development first reported by Fox News, brushed aside an official request, or "demarche," from Russia to clear air space over northern Syria, where Moscow said it intended to conduct airstrikes against ISIS on behalf of Assad, according to sources who spoke to Fox News. The request was made in a heated discussion between a Russian three-star general and U.S. officials at the American Embassy in Baghdad, sources said.

"If you have forces in the area we request they leave," said the general, who used the word "please" in the contentious encounter.

A senior Pentagon official said the U.S., which also has been conducting airstrikes against ISIS, but does not support Assad, said the request was not honored.

"We still conducted our normal strike operations in Syria today," the official said. "We did not and have not changed our operations."

"We still conducted our normal strike operations in Syria today"

- Senior Pentagon official
State Department spokesman John Kirby told reporters the Russian airstrikes won't change the strategy of the U.S.-led coalition.

"The U.S.-led coalition will continue to fly missions over Iraq and Syria as planned and in support of our international mission to degrade and destroy ISIL," Kirby told reporters, while acknowledging the meeting at the American embassy in Baghdad.

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told foreign ministers of world powers Wednesday that his country is "ready to forge standing channels of communication to ensure a maximally effective fight against terrorist groups."

Lavrov spoke to the U.N. Security Council shortly after Russia's defense ministry announced its jets are carrying out airstrikes on Islamic State group positions in Syria.

Lavrov said Russia would shortly circulate a draft council resolution to promote joint efforts against groups like the Islamic State.

The move by Moscow marks a major escalation in ongoing tensions between the two countries over military action in the war-torn country and comes moments after Russian lawmakers formally approved a request from Putin to authorize the use of troops in Syria. Putin said previously that Russia would strike ISIS targets.

The Federation Council, the upper house of Russia's parliament, discussed Putin's request for the authorization behind the closed doors. Sergei Ivanov, chief of Putin's administration, said in televised remarks that the parliament voted unanimously to approve the request.

Ivanov said the authorization is necessary "not in order to achieve some foreign policy goals" but "in order to defend Russia's national interests."

Putin is obligated to request parliamentary approval for any use of Russian troops abroad, according to the Russian Constitution. The last time he did so was before Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in March 2014.

Putin's request comes after his bilateral meeting with Obama on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York, where the two were discussing Russia's recent military buildup in Syria.

A U.S. official told Fox News Monday the two leaders agreed to discuss political transition in Syria but were at odds over the role that Assad should play in resolving the civil conflict. The official said Obama reiterated to Putin that he does not believe there is a path to stability in Syria with Assad in power. Putin has said the world needs to support Assad because his military has the best chance to defeat ISIS militants.

Putin said the meeting, which lasted slightly more than 90 minutes, was “very constructive, business-like and frank".

"We are thinking about it, and we don't exclude anything," Putin told reporters at the time

The Kremlin reported that Putin hosted a meeting of the Russian security council at his residence Tuesday night outside of Moscow, saying that they were discussing terrorism and extremism.

On Tuesday, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius called on Russia to make a real contribution to the fight against ISIS, telling reporters at the United Nations that Moscow "is against the terrorists, it's not abnormal to launch strikes against them."

"The international community has hit (ISIS). France has hit (ISIS), Assad very little, and the Russians not at all. So one has to look at who does what," Fabius added.

Russia has been a staunch supporter of Assad during Syria's bloody civil war, and multiple reports have previously indicated that Russian troops are aiding Assad's forces. Israel's defense minister also said earlier this month that Russian troops are in Syria to help Assad fight the ISIS terror group.

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that Russia's Foreign Ministry told the news agency Interfax that a recently established operations center in Baghdad would help coordinate airstrikes and ground troops in Syria. Fox News first reported last week that the center had been set up by Russian, Syrian and Iranian military commanders with the goal of working with Iranian-backed Shia militias fighting ISIS.

Over the weekend, the Iraqi government announced that it would begin sharing "security and intelligence" information with Russia, Syria and Iran to help combat ISIS.

Meanwhile, intelligence sources told Fox News Friday that Iranian Quds Force commander Qasem Soleimani met with Russian military commanders in Baghdad Sept. 22. Fox News reported earlier this month that Soleimani met Putin in Moscow over the summer to discuss a joint military plan in Syria.

"The Russians are no longer advising, but co-leading the war in Syria," one intelligence official said at the time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link to story.

Could be interesting with US jets still engaging ISIS and now the Russian military actively engaging. What are the thoughts of the campfire?
And the Russiand told zero to GFY and GTF out of their way:

Originally Posted by story
According to a U.S. senior official, Presidents Obama and Putin agreed on a process to "deconflict" military operations. The Russians on Wednesday "bypassed that process," the official said.

"If you have forces in the area we request they leave," said the general, who used the word "please" in the contentious encounter.
I'm glad somebody who doesn't give a chit about collateral damage is blowing up Haji.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
And the Russiand told zero to GFY and GTF out of their way:

Originally Posted by story

Interesting times. I wonder how much Putin and the President discussed this issue on Putin's recent visit.
One of the few things haji's understand is force.

One thing the Russkies are not shy about using is force.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
Let the Russians spend their blood and treasure in the Middle East.
the american based propaganda machine is spinning wildly out of control.

fox is representing the american position, but they don't know what it is.

why aren't we all gathering arms and singing kumbala?

fox needs to move off it's nationalism slant. if the law was in effect, they'd support drafting young males to fight in vietnam for the benefit of the military industrial complex.

profit is everything. the workers can go to hell.
A Bit off track but a couple of years ago when the Tom Hanks film "Charlie Wilsons War" was out I did have the thought how different would things have been if we had stayed out of it and let the Russians have Afghanistan? While I don't consider Russia our friend I do see them as at least having some common sense and enough self interest to more or less avoid a war. Certainly nothing like N Korea or The extreame elements of the Middle East. Sometimes we need to just mind our own business.
the american propaganda machine is gearing up, and feeding to the american citizens what they are being fed by the party in charge.

this is nationalism at it's apex.

somebody needs to call a halt, but whom?
Originally Posted by Gus
the american propaganda machine is gearing up, and feeding to the american citizens what they are being fed by the party in charge.

this is nationalism at it's apex.

somebody needs to call a halt, but whom?

Gus, this is not anywhere near an apex. Think Germany, 1939.
I think it would be awesome if not only did our fighter "get out of the way", but packed up and just went home. Let Russia bleed in the ME for a while and see where it gets them. Who gives a rats azz about Syria; they mean nothing to us.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Let Russia bleed in the ME for a while and see where it gets them. Who gives a rats azz about Syria; they mean nothing to us.

Not sure how much bleeding they will do. I don't think they are there to "win the hearts and minds"of the animals there.
what I was reading a bit ago, was that the Russians were only attacking the Free Syrian fighters, and leaving ISIS alone for now.
They are really only in Syria to back up Assad, not to fight the new caliphate.
The Western press is so upset that the Russians are attacking the "moderate" rebels and not ISIS, that it is almost funny.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
what I was reading a bit ago, was that the Russians were only attacking the Free Syrian fighters, and leaving ISIS alone for now.

The article above, essentially, states the same. The Russian's first strikes were not in ISIS strongholds but in areas where anti-Assad groups are located.

I hope they do some selective pruning.
The American government can't own up to the fact that they've endorsed the funding of ISIS, so they've got to claim that Russia is fighting an entity other than ISIS.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Let Russia bleed in the ME for a while and see where it gets them. Who gives a rats azz about Syria; they mean nothing to us.

Not sure how much bleeding they will do. I don't think they are there to "win the hearts and minds"of the animals there.
They'll bleed money, and sooner or later they'll bleed blood.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Prezactly!!
I think we should back off and let Russia get bogged down in a unwinable foreign war that might ruin their economy.
Originally Posted by RNF
I think we should back off and let Russia get bogged down in a unwinable foreign war that might ruin their economy.

Short-sighted thinking. Putin is more cunning that to get bogged down. Syria will become a new base for military operations. Russia will secure more oil fields and be a game changer in the world oil market. Assad has become a puppet to Putin and POTUS is Putins' doormat. Welcome to the new world order America, how do you like your second rate status?
It did not work well for them when they invaded Afghanistan.
I wonder if the Russians will let the Israelis take out any more arms shipments to Hezbollah.

[Linked Image]
Russia is bombing groups the U S is supporting.

This will NOT turn out well for us.

Putin has checkmated Obama, but O can't quit the game.
Putin and Iran and Syria and ISIS. What could go wrong?
At least we still have France at our back.
I understand that by the standards of a good portion of the U.S. population Presidents Putin and Assad are not nice men. They probably are not nice. But they are dealing with fanatical killers that could become supported by the majority of 1 billion moslems worldwide. These folks (ISIS etal) are dangerous to civilization and need to be exterminated. I am gratified that somebody has recognized this and are taking action. The Russians aren't known for the gentle touch and seem to understand that civilization hangs in the balance. I've watched this conflict for some time and have noticed that the only forces fighting to protect the sizable Christian community in Syria are,you guessed it, Assad's Syrian Army. President Putin over a year ago has asked for the help of the civilized world. I'm 63 years old, and never thought I would see the day I would find the stand of the Russian nation on stronger moral ground than the U.S.,but I believe I am there.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

This. The Amateur in the White House has gotten us all into a bad corner. We can hope for a draw, maybe, if Putin decides to play nice.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by RNF

Short-sighted thinking. Putin is more cunning that to get bogged down. Syria will become a new base for military operations. Russia will secure more oil fields and be a game changer in the world oil market. Assad has become a puppet to Putin and POTUS is Putins' doormat. Welcome to the new world order America, how do you like your second rate status?
Bull-sheitt. Putin is no chess player, he's a thug. The Russian military is mostly incompetent and they still have inept officers doing the same jobs as our non-Com's do.

This is about ONE thing, arms sales. Syria has been looking elsewhere for arms and Russia isn't happy about that. Putin sent a very minimal force to Syria, and this is just a dog & pony show of support for Assad. With the US there, Putin's worried he's going to lose something and we're going to gain something.

I think it's a pukkin joke that we're even there. Let him have it, let them bleed blood and money over Syria, a country that offers nothing to anyone.

It's not checkmate by a LONG freaking shot. Putin has a small force there and if we press them, they'll have to back off.

The idiot in the White House should have never been in Syria in he first place. And then he should have never allowed Russia to show up...what a moron.
No one is going to "press" the Russians on this one. It will be a wait and see.
I.e., wait and see Assad's oponents get their ass kicked in short order.

Anyone find it interesting that ISIS is not the target?
If the govt is saying one thing, it's a lie. Look elsewhere.
Unlike our boondoggles of the past decade in the ME (not that they wouldn't have turned out differently if we'd taken a proper approach) Putin is not invading a country with the goal of regime change.

He is propping up an existing government and supporting their forces. He also doesn't give a crap about world opinion or collateral damage.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Let the Russians spend their blood and treasure in the Middle East.

this
Originally Posted by hatari
Anyone find it interesting that ISIS is not the target?
ISIS isn't necessarily their goal, but they may fight ISIS when they have to. They're there to keep Assad in power. Right now it's the people we're supporting that's the biggest threat to Assad, so that's the target. If ISIS becomes the bigger threat, then Russia will hit them. They're not there for any humanitarian reason.
I like Russia and the way they think, when you decide to kill the bad guys, you have to start somewhere. When it comes to Muslims and the Middle East anywhere you start is a good place. Go Putin and don't stop until no one is left. Putin is the New World Leader.
At least we still have France at our back.

" Going to war without the French, is like going to war and leaving your tuba at home.." Gen Schwartzkopf...

"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French Division behind me..." General George S. Patton
Originally Posted by bea175
I like Russia and the way they think, when you decide to kill the bad guys, you have to start somewhere. When it comes to Muslims and the Middle East anywhere you start is a good place. Go Putin and don't stop until no one is left. Putin is the New World Leader.
Hahaha...

You're going to be sorely disappointed. He has slightly more equipment in country than France (depending on how you look at it). This is the farthest thing from an invasion; it's a freaking PR stunt to get Syria to continue buying their arms from Russia. He's not going to fight Syria's war for them, he's not going to take out ISIS, and Russia won't do squat compared to what we've already done. Hell you're calling victory after they flew once sortie; we don't even know if they hit anything worth hitting.
It aapears 0 supports I Stepped In Sh--. That is why he wants Assad gone. He has been trying to erase boarders for years. The Russians know this.
Putin doesn't have his head up his ass as does our HNIC does...The Russians don't screw around nor get concerened over collateral damage or " World Opinion" ( which is wordspeak for being concerned about what crybaby liberals think.... so who GAFScHit....

only thing Muslims understand is that you have a bigger hammer than they do, and you have no fear or hesitation in using it...

These people live in the 7th century and will always live in the 7th century....all the liberal ideals in the world will never change that...

they don't want to be like us, and I don't want them to be like us....look what the 'refugees' are doing and how they are acting, that are being brought to Europe....
© 24hourcampfire