Home
Posted By: websterparish47 T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
Didn't know they were still in service. Was out fishing today when a formation of 4, line abreast, flew over. Beautiful sight.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
I can tell you one thing, the T-38 and its single seat brother, the F-5 are REALLY tough to see in a dogfight. If they turn nose-on or tail-on they disappear...poof...then they show up somewhere behind you.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
Nice airplanes but I hated when the Thunderbirds flew them. They "restored the roar" when they adopted the F-16.
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
I work near an airport and see them fairly often. We call them Mig 28's per their Top Gun appearance.
Posted By: antlers Re: T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
I lived and worked close to Ellington Field in Webster, Texas for a long time. NASA had some T-38's there that the astronauts from the Johnson Space Center flew all the time. Those planes were sleek and good lookin'. They didn't have any fat on em'.
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: T-38 Talon - 10/01/15
Still in service and slated to be until 2028 or so. From an ASIP and aging aircraft perspective, a remarkable history going back to the 50s. Having been involved in DATDAs going back about 20 years, they are somewhat of a "franken" aircraft at this time in their life. I believe they're on their 5th wing replacement/mod and just this year started receiving their newest wing upgrade.

The group at Hill AFB have done a monumental job in bringing a pre damage tolerant designed aircraft into the modern approach that the AF uses to manage their fleet.

Posted By: garyb11s Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
I flew it during pilot training in 1984......and they were old then. It was a nice jet and very easy to fly.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
I flew it in 1970, and I was able to fly the T-38 simulator last year. I must admit that I couldn't find or decipher anything in the current all-digital cockpit. I'm a creature of steam gauges, it seems.

But the plane itself is a joy to fly. It is literally like riding a dart - you have to twist and strain to see even the tips of the wings behind you. One of the finest training aircraft ever conceived, IMHO.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
T-38
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F5
[Linked Image]

A couple of pics my son took.
Posted By: bangeye Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
High performance but lacks armor and payload
Posted By: deltakid Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
It's mission is not to fight, so it is not armored or stationed for carrying ordnance. The combat version, the F-5, has all that, and is superlative for its mission. The T-38 is absolutely perfect for its job, and I spent quite a bit of the first half of my career using it to train pilots and instructors. I love the airplane, but like Rocky, I do not recognize it with all the upgrades to it.
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by bangeye
High performance but lacks armor and payload

It's current role is IFF and SUPT.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: T-38 Talon - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
T-38
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F5
[Linked Image]

A couple of pics my son took.

Thomas,
my favorite grandson got to rock and roll in one of these at edwards a couple of weeks ago. Next up after that was a F16.
© 24hourcampfire