Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
Each year I try something new, something old I used to do, and might try to do better or something along those line

Last year =
New = Hunt the elk migration
old = started chas'n squirrels
Better = Crossbow, took a 10point bruiser.

This year =

New = Duck hunting, got a boat makin' blind - barely know what I'm doing smile
Old - Gettin' a bird dog (Brittany) it was born 2 weeks ago.
Better - Going to see if I can best that 10 point, drew a tag for a nice bow only area that has monsters it.

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
I only drew a deer tag this year so my goals are simple:

Hunt deer
Kill deer
Eat deer
Posted By: powdr Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
Kill a mature buck w/my new to me 338Federal. powdr
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
Scouted out my old stomping grounds for elk, thought I'd go back and give it a try. Scouted up some good bulls.

Hunting with more confidence than ever that I'm doing it right, just need to put the time in.

Get my 86 year old dad in a position to shoot a doe later this month.

Steve.
Squirrels with the kids.

Deer for the freezer.

Ducks in a Arkansas.
my goal is the same every year.

Put up enough meat to feed family for the year. been pretty good at it the last 5 or so years. I think all told we've maybe bought 5 lbs of beef since then, and that was only because we knew we had no thawed venison at home so we bought it on a whim at the store whist getting groceries.

my wife and kids don't like beef, too rich tasting. unless its a roast in the crockpot smile thanks to one of my good friends who is a beef producer
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
I want to survive keeping up with my 12 y/o grandson. I'll be satisfied with that. whistle

I forgot - I'm going to practice my "spot shooting"

I've got at least 4 flats of shotgun shells - I haven't shoot any serious skeet / trap / clays for 6-7 years so it's time to get into shape...

smile
Originally Posted by powdr
Kill a mature buck w/my new to me 338Federal. powdr

What type of rifle did you get a hold of ?

I had a Sako 338, but swapped out for a 260
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
Go hunting again.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
I bought my two antler tags and eight antlerless tags earlier this week, so I hope to kill a few deer to donate to hunters helping the hungry.

I'll probably have more fun shooting squirrels, since much of deer season is spent dealing with trespassing hunters.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
Teaching my daughter and son the right way to do things and for them to have a great time.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
My last hunt with my 20+ year partner that is edging 70 years old since our last one hunt together. Between us we are batting near 1000 over the 20 years....
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/01/15
this year, my goal is to just get out to the woods and hunt. Getting harder and harder to do that.
1) Be alive and in the woods on the opener.
2) 30 degree temps, and inch of fresh snow, and the rut goin' on.
3) Be there when T-Zone's boy gets his first deer.
4) A few beautiful sunrises and sunsets shared with good friends.
5) If I even see a deer, that's just a bonus.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
Enjoy being out with my long time hunting partners.
I actually enjoy packing out deer and elk...with my llamas. I love working trained animals. It doesn't matter whether it's my game or someone elses.
I have a new rifle so I'd like to break it in with an elk but I won't be disappointed if I don't.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
7 of 12 tags punched so far... hoping to continue the string laugh
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
New - Give grouse hunting in the mountains a try.
Old - Hit it hard this duck season. The last 2 years I've only hunted a handful of times....I would like to get back to hunting at least once a week while the season is open this year.
Posted By: JGray Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
I've wanted to take an animal with a BPCR for years though haven't been too serious about it. Last year I shot my largest Muley to date with a Ballard, loaded with black powder and a 30:1 cast bullet. It was easily the most rewarding hunt I've experienced, so I guess I can say "goal accomplished". Moving forward this year, I'm thinking a lever action repeater of some flavor needs to spend more time afield...
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
Having fun! Seeing some new country.

#1 priority is my 6 year old son. He has been begging to go hunting, and I can't wait to get him out with me. Think I am taking him deer hunting. I usually hold out for a decent buck or a mature doe, but I've already decided to take whatever he's excited about.
I want to have my 13 year old girl shoot a nice cow elk.

Everything else is just tertiary.

I like hunting, and we don't buy store bought meat (except bacon!) but I usually don't worry about filling the freezer, knock on wood.

Just one elk will feed us fine, and I have a lot left over still, from previous years.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15

Bag a bigfeet.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Each year I try something new, something old I used to do, and might try to do better or something along those line

Last year =
New = Hunt the elk migration
old = started chas'n squirrels
Better = Crossbow, took a 10point bruiser.

This year =

New = Duck hunting, got a boat makin' blind - barely know what I'm doing smile
Old - Gettin' a bird dog (Brittany) it was born 2 weeks ago.
Better - Going to see if I can best that 10 point, drew a tag for a nice bow only area that has monsters it.

my hunting goals are just to spend another season with my friends in the woods
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Bag a bigfeet.

That's just crazy talk!

We all know that 'bigfoot', singular, is correct. grin
Posted By: PWN Re: Hunting goals this year - 10/02/15
Kill a deer with a Remington 742 carbine in 30.06 my grandfather purchased in 1962 then sold to my father in 1966. My dad used it to kill deer for the next 40 years before he quit hunting. Now I am going to use it to kill a deer this year.

Perry
© 24hourcampfire