Home
Posted By: Steelhead Am I the only one - 10/02/15
That all but gags every time I see one of those 'candlelight vigils'?

They seem like such an empty, worthless act.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
If you don't have them, where will the politicians gather?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Just a feel good act by people. Won't change a thing or bring those who are dead back.
Posted By: RWE Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
I find them a bit self serving.

But anything done privately won't merit a selfie, retweet or FB post.

Posted By: 4ager Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Nope, you ain't.

They are worse than that. They are a play on the emotions of fools so that those in attendance can feel important and like they themselves were "victims" as well, so they can benefit from the losses of others.
Posted By: krupp Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
They work just as well as a gun free zone.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by 4ager

Nope, you ain't.

They are worse than that. They are a play on the emotions of fools so that those in attendance can feel important and like they themselves were "victims" as well, so they can benefit from the losses of others.

Well Said Sean....well said..
Posted By: ingwe Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

No. And I also like the Teddy Bear monuments stuck to chain link fences...unless of course the decedent is a Michael Brown type, in which case the moments left are often liquid and flammable.
Posted By: deflave Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
No different than when people state they're going to pray for people they've never met or known.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
On the way, Buddy.

Posted By: Barkoff Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Just a feel good act by people. Won't change a thing or bring those who are dead back.

Maybe a feel good act helps some cope, maybe it helps the families realize others are grieving with them? What does it hurt, who cares? It it helps some express their sorrow, why would that make me gag, that's just what makes Scott, Scott.
Originally Posted by wageslave
On the way, Buddy.

SMD

Travis
Posted By: Gibby Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
My wife lights the candles. After a good bourbon and before a good meal. Then moves the candle to the bedroom. The grief of the outside world is the last thing on my mind.

Posted By: wageslave Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by deflave

SMD

Travis

Sometimes the Lord's answer is No.
No different than when people state they're going to pray for people they've never met or known.

Travis

Even though Ive only met you once, briefly...I feel as if I know you.

Prayers sent.

Teddy Bear to come later.
Originally Posted by wageslave
Sometimes the Lord's answer is No.

Laughin' my ass off...

Dave
Originally Posted by ingwe
Even though Ive only met you once, briefly...I feel as if I know you.

Prayers sent.

Teddy Bear to come later.

Bless you.

Clark
Originally Posted by Barkoff
why would that make me gag,

Probably not much that could.

Travis
Well, I would be in favor of a vigil where the cops did the shooter in.

A kewpie doll with his visage, a can of lighter fluid, and some marshmallows.

Drink vodka, straight, and warm Pabst, while hurling flaming marshmallows at the doll, then pissing on it.

Repeat.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

Travis

Just people who have the need to criticize others, they feed off it. Criticize religion, criticize people who flow religion, criticize people who want to express their sorrow to the families, some people sweat anger out of every pore, insult blacks, insult gays, insult everybody and everything, and people want to blame a few liberals for people walking away from the 24 hr Campfire? Well here you go, this thread andyour smart ass response, THAT is what drives people away. But carry on, you and the gang of fifty own the place.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

Maybe a feel good act helps some cope, maybe it helps the families realize others are grieving with them? What does it hurt, who cares? It it helps some express their sorrow, why would that make me gag, that's just what makes Scott, Scott.

Phony symbolism, appearance over substance. I'd understand completely why that would appeal to a California chicks.
I love it when people say....the lord must have been looking out for me....I only Broke my Nose and both arms and killed 3 people.....If the lord had been looking out for them There would have been no wreck at all....

Travis

Just people who have the need to criticize others, they feed off it. Criticize religion, criticize people who flow religion, criticize people who want to express their sorrow to the families, some people sweat anger out of every pore, insult blacks, insult gays, insult everybody and everything, and people want to blame a few liberals for people walking away from the 24 hr Campfire? Well here you go, this thread andyour smart ass response, THAT is what drives people away. But carry on, you and the gang of fifty own the place.

Is this "gang of fifty" the same as the "cabal of dysfunctional squirrels"? Or, "the turdlike people"? Or, the "border rats"?

Quick...someone get a scorecard; all these regiments of ne'er-do-wells is getting confusing.

Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I love it when people say....the lord must have been looking out for me....I only Broke my Nose and both arms and killed 3 people.....If the lord had been looking out for them There would have been no wreck at all....

Like when that hillbilly saw the vehicle of the kid that shot up the black church? And told the world on Fox News that it was the hand of God that caused her to see the car and call it in?

Ummm.... WTF was the hand of God 45 minutes ago????

Travis

All that emotion from a simple dick joke? Go flick your bean, eat some ice cream, and order some new panties. You'll feel better.

Dave

Is this "gang of fifty" the same as the "cabal of dysfunctional squirrels"? Or, "the turdlike people"? Or, the "border rats"?

Quick...someone get a scorecard; all these regiments of ne'er-do-wells is getting confusing.

I hope its different. Being duly appointed Turdlike, and a dysfunctional squirrel, it would be the highlight of my day to be in the gang of "fity"

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

I'm lighting a candle for you.
I have heard people say that 10,000 years is but a day to God....I think He has been on vacation for like a Billion years. crazy
Originally Posted by RWE

I hope its different. Being duly appointed Turdlike, and a dysfunctional squirrel, it would be the highlight of my day to be in the gang of "fity"

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

Do I get to be the Poobah of this gang of fifty? laugh

It would look good on a resume' along with "Grand Poobah of a Turdlike People. "

Just sayin'
Originally Posted by RWE

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

[bleep], please. Ain't no mu'fugga pimpin' a .25 as a gat gonna get in no Gang a'fity...
Originally Posted by 280shooter

I'm lighting a candle for you.

Light one for the Gators while you are at it. Thanks!
Originally Posted by RWE

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

[bleep], please. Ain't no mu'fugga pimpin' a .25 as a gat gonna get in no Gang a'fity...

Did you call me [bleep]?
Originally Posted by RWE

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

It would look good on a resume' along with "Grand Poobah of a Turdlike People. "

Just sayin'

Ol', wo' out [bleep] ain't gettin' ta be no Poopbah a' nuffin'. Dis Flava 'flave's gang, bish...
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RWE

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

Did you call me [bleep]?

Chill. Ain't like you ain't got none in da fam'lee tree...
A double barrel 45 will should get him some respect.

Sho'nuff, if'n it wuz a gat an' not sum broke azz wannabe shotgun.

Just sayin'

Ol', wo' out [bleep] ain't gettin' ta be no Poopbah a' nuffin'. Dis Flava 'flave's gang, bish...

Im Irish, aint that close enough to a (bleep)?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Folks have different ways of seeming to cope. Probably helps the families to see the outpouring too I suspect.

Regardless what I don't care for I don't have to see/watch or participate in at least. Can ignore it and move on.

Can say i've never seen one, and never been to one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'

Im Irish, aint that close enough to a (bleep)?

Youze still ol' an' wo' out, even if'n you iz a Euro-[bleep].
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See? Dat's dat broke azz wannabe shotgun chump mu'fugga rite dere I be talk'n 'bout.

Like dis, [bleep]...

[Linked Image]

DAT be dun gotz da respect!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Jeezas [bleep] crisse, yo mufuk'r's dun got ma as laffin so har a kant wor no mo.
this is no laffin mattah [bleep]....
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Jeezas [bleep] crisse, yo mufuk'r's dun got ma as laffin so har a kant wor no mo.

Wut da f'k you doin' wo'kin'? Da fust o' tha month, yo, an' FRIDAY, too!

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

It's terrible that 9 people died on the Oregon school campus yesterday. Will a candle light vigil stop the next shooting or will it make a bunch of touchy-feely people feel like they done something special?
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

Travis

maybe it's the same when you "state" that you're going to pray, but's it's not the same as when you just go and pray for them, without the fanfare.

keith
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Gag?

Not really. No more than the parades that often accompany a killed cop or the uber ridiculous cop dog parade.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
I say let everyone be who they are.

But we've raised a bumper crop of professional mourners in this country.

I'm more concerned with what the hell is bringing all this craziness out in folks than giving in to the herd instinct, which always occasions this kind of tragedy.

I'm sure it's pretty devastating to have this happen at your back door to people you knew.

Unfortunately, there is no going back. The horse has left the barn and school shootings have become common place.

Isn't much fun to sit here and watch the steady degeneration of our culture.

A prayer for it to stop certainly doesn't hurt anyone.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'm more concerned with what the hell is bringing all this craziness out in folks...

First, "mass" shootings aren't any more prevalent than at any time over the last 50 years. A slight drop in workplace and mass domestic shootings, a slight uptick on "I'm gonna be famous!" gun free zone shootings.

Second... it's almost always about the fame. This guy flat out said on social media that the only way he's ever going to be famous is to do this.

It ain't rocket science. Deny them the fame and there's no point in them doing it.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

Funny you said that...at elk camp this year the subject somehow came up and I guess I got a bit vocal in my opinion of these things, much to my camp mates amusement.I thought I presented a rational and articulate argument, they said I lost my sh#t and went on a rant. Suppose maybe a bit of both is true...so no, you are not alone
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
I'd like to see your data that says there is only a slight uptick in mass shootings that have occurred in public places over the last 50 years...

I know damn well there has been an incredible increase in mass school shootings over the last 50 years.

Here is an FBI report that shows a drastic increase in school shootings just since 2000.

FBI- Increase in School Shootings

And if you can figure out a way to keep the media from reporting it, so as to deny the shooter the fame he seeks, you are a rocket scientist.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
I was listening to the sheriff of douglas cty where the shootings took place. I think it was he that said they had professional grief councilors and stuff on their way to talk to the people.
I still don't know how they would help me in a similar situation. But a new industry is born.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'd like to see your data that says there is only a slight uptick in mass shootings that have occurred in public places over the last 50 years...

I know damn well there has been an incredible increase in mass school shootings over the last 50 years.

Here is an FBI report that shows a drastic increase in school shootings just since 2000.

FBI- Increase in School Shootings

And if you can figure out a way to keep the media from reporting it, so as to deny the shooter the fame he seeks, you are a rocket scientist.

That report is basically propaganda - it has nothing to do with mass shootings. It creates a new "statistic" called "Active Shooter Incidents" which is the only way the DOJ could push the agenda of "shootings are happening so much more often!!!!!". From the report itself:
This is not a study of mass killings or mass shootings, but rather a study of a specific type of shooting situation law enforcement and the public may face.

Read this:
http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/the-fbis-bogus-report-on-mass-shootings/
The picture looks quite different if you use good data and a longer time period. Back in 2000, Bill Landes of the University of Chicago and I gathered data on mass public shootings from 1977 to 1999; I’ve now updated the database.

Our criteria were similar to what the FBI said it would follow: non-gang attacks in public places.

Shootings that were also part of some other crime, such as a robbery, were also excluded. But we counted cases where at least two people had been murdered in these public shootings.

Overall, there has been a slight increase in deaths from mass public shootings over these 38 years, but even then the upward trend largely depends on the single year 2012, when there were 91 deaths.

To put it in pretty pictures, here:

http://crimeresearch.org/2014/10/the-incredibly-flawed-fbi-study-on-active-shooters/

FBI's new statistic to push the agenda:
[Linked Image]

A history of mass shootings which shows the reality of it:
[Linked Image]
In 1820 there were roughly 35,000 pirates and no school shootings.

Today there are roughly 100 pirates and a few school shootings a year.

Coincidence, I think not.

We should get together and pray on that..
Originally Posted by Calhoun

We should get together and pray on that..

Pears sent...
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Steelie,
I am burning a teddy bear in your honor…..
of course there will be candles.
And a Confederate Battle [bleep].
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by RWE

HAT-TRICK!

solid.

word.

Dude, so's you're a sqrl too? Dang, I knew there was me and elkhunternm (the Chief of the cabal, duly elected I might add) but I wasn't sure of others. I thought we might just be a small cabal. I bet there's more hiding out in some dysfunctional oak or "hikry" trees (maybe on the small game forum?).

Congrats on your hat trick.

Uber cool beans.

Geno

ps, teddy bears is cool too.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Am I the only one - 10/02/15

Travis

Don't concern yourself with these cats. They are just miserable MF'ers spouting off. Their bark is worse than their bite.
© 24hourcampfire