Home

No shortage this year...

[Linked Image]
Heater hunting AGAIN
What was the weapon of choice this time?????

Nothing like a S&W Upland Special for heat...

[Linked Image]
Are these head shot with a rifle? Just curious because you usually post a pic of the firearm in your posts.

**ha you beat me to it!
Nice!

Fine example of gun control!
Wow. Congratulations!
Nice!

It rained here all day so I stayed inside and watched football and drank beer since about noon.

What caliber is the Upland Special?
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Model 686+ 7 rounds of 357...
Nice!

It rained here all day so I stayed inside and watched football and drank beer since about noon.

Sam,
You could have went out and done your "pony dance", see how it goes this time. grin smirk
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Im lovin' this!

[Linked Image]

Beautiful stocks on that one, what kind if I might ask?

Tasty looking birds too.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

[Linked Image]

Beautiful stocks on that one, what kind if I might ask?

Tasty looking birds too.

Geno

They're original to the gun. I believe they are a laminate stained red. They feel great, I usually put on Hogue Mono-grips but these work great...
Shrapnel, you're a better man than I. I need about 6x magnification to ensure that I do not shoot the head off BELOW the shoulder blades.

That there is some fine eatin, I am jealous. It has been a few years since I ate any.

Model 686+ 7 rounds of 357...

Ube.

I call dibs...
So, you ride around in a side by side ATV and ground sluice grouse? And guys here think that's cool? What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship? The only thing you should shoot grouse on the ground or in a tree with is a freaking camera.

[Linked Image]

No shortage this year...

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Rhino bed.........you road huntin' ?
Paddler GFY!

There is a reason that grouse are legal to kill with center fire or rimfire handguns or rifles.

They are thick as fleas on a dog's back in their favored habitat. The populations need thinned before they winter kill.

Well that and the fact that they are made of meat!

We might as well eat them as the buzzards next winter.
Originally Posted by Paddler
So, you ride around in a side by side ATV and ground sluice grouse? And guys here think that's cool? What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship? The only thing you should shoot grouse on the ground or in a tree with is a freaking camera.

[Linked Image]

they aint gonna be any more sporting with a shotgun
What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship?

You obviously have never chased grouse with an ATV or you would know it's impossible to keep up with them when you are running through the wilderness where there are no roads. Then to get your gun out from under the beer cooler and still get a shot off before they disappear...
What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship?

You obviously have never chased grouse with an ATV or you would know it's impossible to keep up with them when you are running through the wilderness where there are no roads. Then to get your gun out from under the beer cooler and still get a shot off before they disappear...

[Linked Image]

And kudos to you Shrap!
Guess I'm just old school. I hike for grouse, following my shorthair, carrying a double gun. Shoot them on the wing only. You know, the way a sportsman does it. If they make it to a tree they get a pass.

My guess is you don't bring any grouse to bag as the only thing you shoot is your mouth off...
Looks good, tasty too.
My guess is you don't bring any grouse to bag as the only thing you shoot is your mouth off...

That picture is from 10 days ago. I could have shot it in the tree instead of taking its picture, but it wouldn't be sportsmanlike. That matters to some. How you behave when nobody's watching says a lot about your character.

I did the same a couple weeks ago, just for you.

Before...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the reply, they look fabulous on a "silver" gun.

Geno
(I could have shot it in the tree instead of taking its picture, but) it wouldn't be sportsmanlike. That matters to some. How you behave when nobody's watching says a lot about your character.

All true.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
(I could have shot it in the tree instead of taking its picture, but) it wouldn't be sportsmanlike. That matters to some. How you behave when nobody's watching says a lot about your character.

All true.

true but mountain grouse with a handgun or rifle in Montana is perfectly legal......and kicking the bird in the arse to make it fly so you can shoot it with a shotgun isnt much more sporting.....
We were loaded with them this year in north Idaho. I probably could have limited out using a rock as dumbfuk as they are.
Guess I'm just old school. I hike for grouse, following my shorthair, carrying a double gun. Shoot them on the wing only. You know, the way a sportsman does it. If they make it to a tree they get a pass.

There's more than one sporting way to take grouse. The whole idea is to harvest as much meat as possible and ensure a clean humane kill. That's the sporting ideal.

Shooting grouse with a rifle (I myself use a .22) can be very sporting as you are trying to hit a target the size of a 50 cent piece and the result is usually either a instant kill or a clean miss. Up here if the grouse flies, they're usually in the thick bush in a second and effectively screened from a direct hit of bird shot so if you intend to get any birds at all without the advantage of a bird dog, head shots with a rifle (or pistol) is a viable as well as a sporting way to do it.
You don't find it sporting - I do and apparently the hunting regs do, so we'll have to disagree on that point.

I would also much prefer a head shot grouse as opposed to a pellet ridden grouse body any day.

Before...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]

You must feel like a real sportsman shooting a juvenile bird on the ground. Takes a lot of skill. Congrats!!
I agree - It does take a lot of skill especially with a short barreled handgun - Good Shot!!

Debating you is like wrestling a girl. I now can see the disappointment your parents have had since you were born..

That picture is from 10 days ago. I could have shot it in the tree instead of taking its picture, but it wouldn't be sportsmanlike. That matters to some. How you behave when nobody's watching says a lot about your character.

I shoot grouse because they are delicious. I will kill them with a rifle, shotgun, a rock, a stick or my bare hands if I could catch them. Your definition of "sportsmanlike" is your own,what makes you the authority? How you behave when your safely hidden behind a keyboard says a lot about your character.

If only you could make the rules for everyone.

A sportsman does not judge others for legally taking game.

Originally Posted by Backroads

If only you could make the rules for everyone.

A sportsman does not judge others for legally taking game.

He clearly wants to make rules for everyone else; firearms, hunting, and God only knows what else.

Piss on him, from a considerable height.

When in Rome....

Back here it is easier to shoot them flying, because it is not all that common to catch them sitting. Romantic tho it may be, nor does a double gun make the sportsman, pumps and autos work as well.

....do as the Romans do.

I would guess you have been known to shake a tree at least once or twice. wink

I just wish I had that many Birds to play the game the way I choose to play.
I'm sure you gave no though to what twist or gave two thoughts about BC. Sharpnel you could maximize that 7 shooter with some heavy VLD. LOL
Good hunting Sharp last one I took was sitting in a tree and it ate a 208 AMAX at about 60 yards.

[Linked Image]

Paddler, sometimes it's "to each their own". I kinda like the type of hunting you describe and wish I had a nice double and a good bird dog myself.

However, I personally don't believe what Shrapnel did is considered "ground sluicing". To me ground sluicing is shooting more than one bird/animal, standing in the road, with a shotgun maximizing the amount of game taken with one shot.

I personally would like to have the option for grouse in my state with my 25-20 revolver, as I would carry that while deer/elk hunting but it's not allowed due to caliber restrictions during centerfire seasons. I think it takes a high degree of skill to head shoot a grouse with a 4" bbl pistol. Not really "unsporting" in my book, But that's me.

I bow hunt with a "stick and string" longbow that weighs all of a pound with silencers on the string. I use wooden arrows with fixed broadheads. I've never taken anything with it because the shots I've been presented "I" couldn't take ethically. Do I wish to stop others from using compounds, sights, releases, range finders, and mechanical points? Do I consider that equipment "unsporting"? Not really. I do wish, from my standpoint, that more jurisdictions would go to split season for modern and primitive archery. The same goes for muzzleloaders.

Many times I wear handmade moccasins (my hands made them) or sometimes hunt barefoot depending on conditions. I wear wool and cotton (again condition related), very few synthetics in my wardrobe. Do I think it not very sportsmanlike for folks to wear the latest "Scent lok", Windstopper, Gore tex, super dooper fleece along with their scentproof knee high latest version of rubber boots? Short answer... NO.

I do hunt at times with "modern" firearms of various calibers. I'm not into "long range" hunting. Do I believe it's not "fair chase" for guys to shoot game at 500, 600 or more yards? Maybe a bit risky given the things that could happen, but not unsporting really.

A question for you, my fellow campfire attendee:

I have a pump shotgun. Is that OK to hunt grouse with? It legally holds 3 shells, should I only load two so as not to be less "sportsmanlike" than folks with double guns? Perhaps when I go pheasant, quail, chukar hunting this season I should go to the local pawn shop and pick up a single shot first? And find some 2 1/2 inch shells as those 2 3/4 or god forbid 3" ones could be seen by some as not very sporty.

I don't hunt "varmits" like prairie dogs, gophers, gray diggers, rock chucks, groundhogs and stuff but a lot of folks here do. I sometimes think it would be more "sporting" of them to stand in the middle a PD town with a sharp stick or ball bat and have them get the little f'rs like "Whack a Mole" (it would be hilarious to watch too, have you seen pics of some of these old guys? laugh ) I don't mind if they do it the way they like to do it, it's just not something I'm going to put energy into.

I'm about done putting energy into this reply so let me close with this idea.

Perhaps to be more sporting, in the spirit of fair chase, you might consider taking to the grouse woods the next time, after canoeing in or perhaps riding on your trusty steed, dressed in a capote with a possibles bag around your shoulder (containing real black powder), while carrying a smoothbore flintlock trade gun. No dog, you would have had to eat him a week or two back as you were nearing starvation. That's some folks' idea of "sportsmanship"

Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! sick ) grin

I honestly hope you enjoy your fall seasons. When I manage to get some time off work later this fall, I intend to enjoy mine, in the sporting manner I see fit.

Geno

PS, Travis would have said all this with just a few letters. wink

PPS, now I've got less time tonight to do serious stuff on the 'fire. Like research .223 AI, Cermalube, and new cartridges based off another. eek
Yes, there is a reason we call em fool hen around here.

Is it sporting enough if you hunt them with a tree limb, or a rock. I have done both, and had grouse for dinner each evening.

As a kid I spent a week one time riding the mountain roads on the back of my cousin's XL350. He would holler "GROUSE" and slide the bike to a stop in the middle of the road. I would hop off and step off the road, then shoot the birds head off with a 20 ga modified 870.
I got my limit five days in a row, and we ate every one of them cooked over the fire.

I used to climb off my horse to shot them with a model 70 in 30-06. 165 gr bullet over 60 gr of H4831. The rifle shot dead on at 300 yds. I have killed grouse out far enough that I had to hold five inches low to take their head off. Ain't that giving the bird a chance???? Just watch the back stop. I can not remember ever losing any meat to the shot.

Though I did watch my buddy turn a couple to grouse burger. One was hit in the breast with a 270, 130 gr speer boat tail at max velocity and about ten yds range circa 1980. We all got meat rained upon. The other, he hit too low with the 357. A Speer 125 JHP at max velocity. No, he did not believe in leaving any airspace under the bullet.

As long as the meat gets ate, and all kills were within the F&G regs. There is nothing to be ashamed of.

Though today, I would not want to bet that rocks or sticks are legal methods of kill. I sure hope the statute of limitations has expired at fifty years.
Good on you Shrap.

Paddler come down here to the Lowcountry Marshes and shoot some marsh hens with me when you can and bring your nicest double.

I also have a big boar gator I would like to show you, he isn't aggresive or anything like that.

BTW anyone know what I can get for a lightly rusted Piotti with a little pluff mud on it?
May apply here:

[Linked Image]
That Bill looks like a really cocky azzhole to me. Just sitting there all skinny. laugh
If you are going to use a pistol, at least shoot over your shoulder with a mirror.....to keep it sporting.

[Linked Image]

Paddler, sometimes it's "to each their own". I kinda like the type of hunting you describe and wish I had a nice double and a good bird dog myself.

However, I personally don't believe what Shrapnel did is considered "ground sluicing". To me ground sluicing is shooting more than one bird/animal, standing in the road, with a shotgun maximizing the amount of game taken with one shot.

I personally would like to have the option for grouse in my state with my 25-20 revolver, as I would carry that while deer/elk hunting but it's not allowed due to caliber restrictions during centerfire seasons. I think it takes a high degree of skill to head shoot a grouse with a 4" bbl pistol. Not really "unsporting" in my book, But that's me.

I bow hunt with a "stick and string" longbow that weighs all of a pound with silencers on the string. I use wooden arrows with fixed broadheads. I've never taken anything with it because the shots I've been presented "I" couldn't take ethically. Do I wish to stop others from using compounds, sights, releases, range finders, and mechanical points? Do I consider that equipment "unsporting"? Not really. I do wish, from my standpoint, that more jurisdictions would go to split season for modern and primitive archery. The same goes for muzzleloaders.

Many times I wear handmade moccasins (my hands made them) or sometimes hunt barefoot depending on conditions. I wear wool and cotton (again condition related), very few synthetics in my wardrobe. Do I think it not very sportsmanlike for folks to wear the latest "Scent lok", Windstopper, Gore tex, super dooper fleece along with their scentproof knee high latest version of rubber boots? Short answer... NO.

I do hunt at times with "modern" firearms of various calibers. I'm not into "long range" hunting. Do I believe it's not "fair chase" for guys to shoot game at 500, 600 or more yards? Maybe a bit risky given the things that could happen, but not unsporting really.

I have a pump shotgun. Is that OK to hunt grouse with? It legally holds 3 shells, should I only load two so as not to be less "sportsmanlike" than folks with double guns? Perhaps when I go pheasant, quail, chukar hunting this season I should go to the local pawn shop and pick up a single shot first? And find some 2 1/2 inch shells as those 2 3/4 or god forbid 3" ones could be seen by some as not very sporty.

I don't hunt "varmits" like prairie dogs, gophers, gray diggers, rock chucks, groundhogs and stuff but a lot of folks here do. I sometimes think it would be more "sporting" of them to stand in the middle a PD town with a sharp stick or ball bat and have them get the little f'rs like "Whack a Mole" (it would be hilarious to watch too, have you seen pics of some of these old guys? laugh ) I don't mind if they do it the way they like to do it, it's just not something I'm going to put energy into.

Perhaps to be more sporting, in the spirit of fair chase, you might consider taking to the grouse woods the next time, after canoeing in or perhaps riding on your trusty steed, dressed in a capote with a possibles bag around your shoulder (containing real black powder), while carrying a smoothbore flintlock trade gun. No dog, you would have had to eat him a week or two back as you were nearing starvation. That's some folks' idea of "sportsmanship"

Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! sick ) grin

I honestly hope you enjoy your fall seasons. When I manage to get some time off work later this fall, I intend to enjoy mine, in the sporting manner I see fit.

Geno

PPS, now I've got less time tonight to do serious stuff on the 'fire. Like research .223 AI, Cermalube, and new cartridges based off another. eek

Geno, I hunt with a recurve, a 33 year-old Howatt Hunter before they were bought by Martin. I make my own cedar arrows, too, with 2 bladed Zwickey broadheads. The quiver below was made from green deerhide, per Saxton Pope's description in his classic, "Hunting With The Bow and Arrow". If you haven't read it, as a traditional archer I'm sure you would find it fascinating:

[Linked Image]

I don't kill much, I only hunt archery elk a couple days per year. Don't even hunt deer anymore, even though as a lifetime licensee I get a tag every year. I just don't want to eat one. I won't ever use a compound, I'll just hang it up when I can no longer handle a 70# recurve.

It's more important to me these days not what I kill, but how I take game. Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing. If you're going to shoot birds on the ground, just go buy a chicken. Aldo Leopold said, "The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." Riding an ATV road hunting grouse is a failure, those who condone it are a sorry lot. Nothing beats a dog getting birdy, freezing on point, the flush, and more often than not, the missed shot. I understand it's all legal, ATVs, shooting sitting birds with a variety of weapons, but what a miserable way to hunt. Leopold again:

“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”
― Aldo Leopold

[Linked Image]

Geno

Geno, I hunt with a recurve, a 33 year-old Howatt Hunter before they were bought by Martin. I make my own cedar arrows, too, with 2 bladed Zwickey broadheads. The quiver below was made from green deerhide, per Saxton Pope's description in his classic, "Hunting With The Bow and Arrow". If you haven't read it, as a traditional archer I'm sure you would find it fascinating:

[Linked Image]

I don't kill much, I only hunt archery elk a couple days per year. Don't even hunt deer anymore, even though as a lifetime licensee I get a tag every year. I just don't want to eat one. I won't ever use a compound, I'll just hang it up when I can no longer handle a 70# recurve.

It's more important to me these days not what I kill, but how I take game. Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing. If you're going to shoot birds on the ground, just go buy a chicken. Aldo Leopold said, "The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." Riding an ATV road hunting grouse is a failure, those who condone it are a sorry lot. Nothing beats a dog getting birdy, freezing on point, the flush, and more often than not, the missed shot. I understand it's all legal, ATVs, shooting sitting birds with a variety of weapons, but what a miserable way to hunt. Leopold again:

“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”
― Aldo Leopold

Quoting Aldo, eh?

Leopold managed to be damned right, or close to it, more often than not. Yet, he was never a sanctimonious prick.

Those are two feats he managed that you haven't even come close to, and by all signs never will.
One hasn't "sluiced" until they have experienced the epiphany of holding a foot under a mess of huns on blacktop.

GE

Disclaimer: not that I would have eve ... oh F that, I knew there was a statute of limitations for a reason.
And there are those cretins amongst us that consider birds a source of white meat, a welcome change in the diet, and prefer to transition them into biomass by the most expeditious way possible. .....
Ive killed countless numbers of grouse with revolvers, pistols, rimfire rifles, shotguns too.

I killed one with a beer bottle, i even too one away from a hawk that had just killed one but couldnt quite lift it to fly with it.

They have all tasted great!

I cooked 2 of the yesterday that my 11 year old son shot with his winchester 9422M (lever action 22 magnum)

shrapnel, nice truckload of food. style points awarded for the wheel gun.

Originally Posted by 4ager
[/quote]

― Aldo Leopold

Quoting Aldo, eh?

Leopold managed to be damned right, or close to it, more often than not. Yet, he was never a sanctimonious prick.
[/quote]

Aldo was a [bleep] wolf hugger.
[quote=Paddler]So, you ride around in a side by side ATV and ground sluice grouse? And guys here think that's cool? What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship? The only thing you should shoot grouse on the ground or in a tree with is a freaking camera.

There is little chance of a sporting hunt or any other "ethical hunt" on a bird you can catch in your bare hands...... They ain't half as smart as most barn yard chickens. I know you being an elitist upland bird hunter has standards ,but grouse are too good to eat to shoot with a shotgun......

2 more reasons for the ATV...

[Linked Image]
Paddler - stop being a sanctimonious prick. Legal take for grouse includes a list of many firearms. I take a shotgun and try to kick them up for fun when I'm just hunting grouse, but I'll sometimes take one with a 22 pistol on the ground or on a branch if I'm big game hunting - but not opening weekend.

There's nothing unethical about shooting a grouse with a pistol - They've got a better chance of living with a pistol on the ground than a shotgun on the wing.
I killed 28 grouse and 67 rabbits one fall using a Remington Model 7 223 with a 50gr. Sierra and 10grs. of Unique and they all tasted great and no shot to pick out.

[Linked Image]

Oh, you mean you want to teach them to be lazy slob hunters, road hunting instead of exerting oneself, shooting birds on the ground instead of following the rules of fair chase. You're an excellent example for the next generation.
Another chicken-schitt, anonymous fraud running his mouth.

What a surprise.
Paddler can take his self assumed wing shooter superiority and stuff it up his ass.

It's been a long time pet peeve of mine, the idea that a timber grouse has to be flying or you can't shoot at it.

I get it, you like dog chewed, lead BB filled meat with feathers and guts trailed all through the meat. That's awesome, for you.

Not for me.

Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
One hasn't "sluiced" until they have experienced the epiphany of holding a foot under a mess of huns on blacktop.

GE

Disclaimer: not that I would have eve ... oh F that, I knew there was a statute of limitations for a reason.

That my friend, is quite a nice description of "sluicing".

I do understand that it "may or may not have" happened, as described. You're running for local office soon, right (already elected? grin )

I'm not as holy as some.......

I inhaled ( I think, I'm not so sure as I'm getting old and don't really remember much anymore?)

Geno
We've got some pretty smart grouse here. I hunt them each fall by walking the mountains and flushing in cover. It's hard work. I don't eat many grouse! Of course, I see most of them standing in the road. I'm with Paddler on this one. Those get a pass, I just drive on by. If anything, I'll let my dog chase them up a tree so she can fill her nose with scent. She isn't real bright so she needs all the help she can get.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh, you mean you want to teach them to be lazy slob hunters, road hunting instead of exerting oneself, shooting birds on the ground instead of following the rules of fair chase. You're an excellent example for the next generation.

Ah, glad to see you have no kids or grandkids.
Love to see you out trying to hunt and take care of three GKids.
They had a great day cause they were taken on the trip.
Pudler ,

Your a special kind of guy aren't ya. No problem in being sporty , but don't compare yourself to Aldo.

And don't be saying that you can pull , hold and shoot a 70lb recurve.

Or if you so desire post a picture of your Howard bows limb stamp showing 70lb.

I am waiting.

This one may be more to Fireball and PIDDLER's liking, he uses a firestarter, we only let him use it when the forest is dry and fire danger is high...

[Linked Image]
You must be a snob. I choose to walk for my grouse so now I'm what?
Puddler is kind of an DA, is he not. The next generation in the making. Great pic. Glad he shot blanks and has no kids and does not understand young kids and walking miles at a time.

Good hunt Sir.

Your someone that doesn't take kids that young out on trips, watching the hunt and learning. That age is the beginning of a hunter.
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Your someone that doesn't take kids that young out on trips, watching the hunt and learning. That age is the beginning of a hunter.

Good point. They can't keep up in the mountains. I guess Shrap will have to pull my weight.
Originally Posted by Strick9
Pudler ,

Your a special kind of guy aren't ya. No problem in being sporty , but don't compare yourself to Aldo.

And don't be saying that you can pull , hold and shoot a 70lb recurve.

Or if you so desire post a picture of your Howard bows limb stamp showing 70lb.

I am waiting.

Actually, I have a collection of Howatt Hunters, four to be exact. My original was a gift from my mother-in-law when I graduated med school in 1982. It's the one that draws 70#. I've accumulated the others over the years, a 60#, 65# and one marked 75# but measures 80#. I only hunt with the 70# one. You're right, it's getting harder each year, and I can't hold it like guys who shoot compounds with 65% let off. But then I'm getting older now, at 63. My goal is to be able to hunt with my 70# recurve when I'm 70 years old. Want to bet against me?
Shrap,

I am counting three of the luckiest little blonds in the world. There is nothing better for kids than spending time in the outdoors with a caring adult.

And, they are learning where groceries come from.

Grandkids??????? You are a lucky man.

The only thing better for the soul than getting out and gathering some food, is doing it with little tykes who love you back.
Originally Posted by ingwe
And there are those cretins amongst us that consider birds a source of white meat, a welcome change in the diet, and prefer to transition them into biomass by the most expeditious way possible. .....

All due respect sir, and I do hope this missive finds that Sir Rommel is taking good care of you and yours...

Early in my relationship I had to correct my dear wife when discussing plans for our evening repast one fine day. I suggested that we (especially ME) needed some "meat". She replied "but we just had chicken last night". As much as I hate to correct my dear wife wink , I had to inform her that anything what flies, and/or has feathers and lays eggs, the edible portion of said critter is "poultry", as one does not find it in the "meat counter" but in the poultry section of any "respectable" grocery. Or perhaps it might could be called "fowl".

Meat, in my dictionary, implies fur or hair, and generally walking/running about on FOUR legs. (At least in non survivalist times)

Fish is fish, critters with scales or maybe not in the case of catfish.

Lobster, crab, mussels, oysters, etc fall into the generalized category of "shellfish"

Lizard, snake, and frogs and such, while certainly tasty on occasion could possibly be considered "meat". (I'll have to check on the innanet)

Please forgive my "correction" Poobah. I know it was possibly only an "oversight" in your typing.

Respectfully,

Geno

PS, I'm not so sure about us being cretins? Malcontents, dysfunctional squirrels definitely , but cretins? Well sir, I do not own a .270, I thoroughly enjoy my metric caliber and other "oddball" firearms, and I love dogs, and fishing, and Cowboy hats perched on a fine figure. I therefor respectfully request to be left out of this "cretin" cabal. Include me in other groups at your convenience and to your satisfaction.

PPS, expeditiously transitioning fine tasting critters into edible biomass is a good thing for the environment. Keep up the good work. Less lead floating around out there.

We are loading up right now for another killing spree. Too bad the malcontents won't be along to enjoy the spectacle. I am sure I have spent more time peeing in the woods than those guys ever have hunting...
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Shrap,

I am counting three of the luckiest little blonds in the world. There is nothing better for kids than spending time in the outdoors with a caring adult.

The only thing better for the soul than getting out and gathering some food, is doing it with little tykes who love you back.

Agreed. It would be so much better if they walked. Let them explore, play in the dirt, find bugs, fill their pockets with rocks. Oh, and learn about hunting ethics, fair play, etc. Teach them that grandpa is an outdoor stud instead of just another overfed slob who fancies himself a hunter..
Good work there Shrap.. I enjoyed every bit of your show..
Looks like you have a great next generation coming on to follow in your foot steps..

What is the load you shoot in that .357 for grouse.. I have a couple loads with Unique.. They seem to work well..

I enjoy hunting grouse with pistol, rifle or shotgun.. At times, each has its place.. As for the negative feed back we get, there is one person I just skip over his posts and never read the crap he posts.. After this read, I have now added a second to my list..

Hunt on, shoot straight and have a great fall..
Shrap,

Agreed. It would be so much better if they walked. Let them explore, play in the dirt, find bugs, fill their pockets with rocks. Oh, and learn about hunting ethics, fair play, etc. Teach them that grandpa is an outdoor stud instead of just another overfed slob who fancies himself a hunter..

you think they dont do that? you are an idiot....the difference is the girls get to do it lots of places seeing lots more interesting things instead of just the short distance they are able to walk to....

We are loading up right now for another killing spree. Too bad the malcontents won't be along to enjoy the spectacle. I am sure I have spent more time peeing in the woods than those guys ever have hunting...

I've spent so little time in the woods I can't even remember the last time. LOL.

Here's an idea. Get over yourself bud. You're not all that. Plenty of other people here might do and know a little something as well. Might even take a kid hunting once in a while, donate to charity, volunteer time, cook meals for a sick neighbor, who knows, we might not even be bad people. Just don't feel the need to wave our cock.

I've spent so little time in the woods I can't even remember the last time. LOL.

Here's an idea. Get over yourself bud. You're not all that. Plenty of other people here might do and know a little something as well. Might even take a kid hunting once in a while, donate to charity, volunteer time, cook meals for a sick neighbor, who knows, we might not even be bad people. Just don't feel the need to wave our cock.

and you do realize one of the main points of this forum is to share chit like this with each other.....its others that have turned it into a chit show with their holier than thou attitude not shrap....

To satisfy the sportsmen, we are taking a dog thi trip...

[Linked Image]
grin Yer gonna make Isaac jealous!!! grin
Dog????????

I don't see no dog!

Surely you don't mean that hand warmer on the front of the quad.
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

I am pretty sure those kids already know exactly what kind of man Grandpa is. And I bet that any kind of "slob" never entered their mind.

I thank the Good Lord that I never had to share a hunt with any man who considered himself an "outdoor stud."

I have no use the kind of person who thinks of game as "sport". It is meat and, as a living creature deserves to be harvested as humanely as possible.

A heavy bullet to the head is much more humane than a piece of # six shot to the wing, and cripples running over the mountain.

Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

If you don't kick the fish up out of the water and cast your handline at a flying fish, you are a slob.

Don't use hooks either, hooks are for slobs. Lasso the fish, but they have to be flying. Then let your dog chew the chit out of the fish and bring it to you. But it can't be a domestic dog. Be a man, catch a wolf and tame it, train it.

Slobs.

Oh, we use handlines, too, but just for tuna. And a boat, too, because we're so far offshore:

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6073.mp4

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6074.mp4
If I take my dog grouse hunting she gets more than I do. Dang things are so dumb I'm surprised they aren't extinct. Oh and my dog is fast.

[Linked Image]

Geno

[Linked Image]

― Aldo Leopold

Interesting bow and quiver. I will attempt to remember that book and look for it when next shopping for reading material for next work season. Interesting that I also use a Howatt, "The Stick" according to the markings on the bow, my first a 45Lb and the newer one (By Martin) is a 55lb.

Not mine, but the pics on this forum show what I use:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=006589;p=1

Now, for a question regarding your beliefs on an "ethical" view of sportmanship and such things. Again, we may disagree.

Your statement: "Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing"

You mention, somewhere I believe, hunting elk with your bow.

My "ethical" question:

Do you believe it is "unsporting" to take a target of opportunity, lets say a grouse, with your bow while out hunting elk?

If not "unsporting", would you let said grouse get off the ground first?

Awaiting your response,

Geno

PS, it is my opinion that the invective you use to denigrate the legal behavior of some of our members adds nothing to the conversation, further inflames them against you, leading to personal attacks on YOUR character, and will not in the least help to convince them that some things "might" be better if accomplished in a different manner.
Interesting bow and quiver. I will attempt to remember that book and look for it when next shopping for reading material for next work season. Interesting that I also use a Howatt, "The Stick" according to the markings on the bow, my first a 45Lb and the newer one (By Martin) is a 55lb.

Howatt bows are always heavier than marked because they measured from the belly of the bow just above the shelf, instead of at the throat of the grip like virtually every other maker did/does.

That's why Paddlers 70 pounder is actually 75#.

Too much pain for me, I shoot 55#.

Oh, we use handlines, too, but just for tuna. And a boat, too, because we're so far offshore:

A real sportsman would braid their own handlines using their own hair or to be even more sporting, fish like an otter... fishing lines, we don't need no stinking fishing lines. :-)

Since you don't like people hunting with an ATV, I imagine that you get out of the motor boat and into a kayak or raft before you start fishing, right?

A heavy bullet to the head is much more humane than a piece of # six shot to the wing, and cripples running over the mountain.

^^^^ see above, oh ye of self righteous bent...
Never actually put a draw weight scale to mine so I have no idea what they actually "pull" at my draw length.

For now, I 'll use the numbers on them, like I do with the numbers on the box of shotgun shells, 1250fps, right guys? laugh

Ghost, I understand the pain thing. Believe me, after going thru rotator cuff/bicep tendon repair on both sides, it was extremely nice to have the 45lb version to use when I started to get back to shooting my bow!

And I hope you too are enjoying a fine Sunday afternoon (or morning depending on longtitude).

Geno

I am pretty sure those kids already know exactly what kind of man Grandpa is. And I bet that any kind of "slob" never entered their mind.

I thank the Good Lord that I never had to share a hunt with any man who considered himself an "outdoor stud."

I have no use the kind of person who thinks of game as "sport". It is meat and, as a living creature deserves to be harvested as humanely as possible.

Very true and very well said!

[Linked Image]

Thank God theres no kids around that dog, no telling the blood and gore a savage beast like that could cause in a rouge minute.
Isn't that one of those buffalo hounds that Rourk wrote about, the ones they only turn loose when some greenhorn wounds a buff and he gets into the thick stuff, the dog goes in and kills the buff before it stomps all of the stupid out of the rookie?
Glad to see you keep him safely under wraps till needed. smile

[Linked Image]

Thats a dog? Looks like you bagged an owl.

[Linked Image]

Geno

[Linked Image]

― Aldo Leopold

Now, for a question regarding your beliefs on an "ethical" view of sportmanship and such things. Again, we may disagree.

Your statement: "Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing"

My "ethical" question:

Do you believe it is "unsporting" to take a target of opportunity, lets say a grouse, with your bow while out hunting elk?

Awaiting your response,

Geno

PS, it is my opinion that the invective you use to denigrate the legal behavior of some of our members adds nothing to the conversation, further inflames them against you, leading to personal attacks on YOUR character, and will not in the least help to convince them that some things "might" be better if accomplished in a different manner.

Good question. I carry a blunt with me while hunting elk in case I run into a grouse, want to practice estimating range, etc. I've killed one with it. I killed one with a rock once, too. Those were incidental kills while pursuing other game, scouting, etc. In my view that's a very different scenario than riding around in an ATV with a revolver loaded with bird shot specifically intending to pot shoot grouse. It's also more difficult to kill a grouse with a bow than the way that fellow killed his.

Regarding your last point, I came here after the UCC shooting to float a plan to help reduce gun violence. The very first response was to call me a traitor, the second was GFY, etc. Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.
I think my 70# actually measures quite close to that. The 80# was a grunt when I was younger. Haven't tried to pull it recently, pretty sure I'd fail and/or hurt myself.

[Linked Image]

Geno

[Linked Image]

― Aldo Leopold

My "ethical" question:

Awaiting your response,

Geno

Good question. I carry a blunt with me while hunting elk in case I run into a grouse, want to practice estimating range, etc. I've killed one with it. I killed one with a rock once, too. Those were incidental kills while pursuing other game, scouting, etc. In my view that's a very different scenario than riding around in an ATV with a revolver loaded with bird shot specifically intending to pot shoot grouse. It's also more difficult to kill a grouse with a bow than the way that fellow killed his.

Regarding your last point, I came here after the UCC shooting to float a plan to help reduce gun violence. The very first response was to call me a traitor, the second was GFY, etc. Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.

I'm thinking a golf site might be more accommodating for your style of reasoning.
Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.

All true here too.
I think my 70# actually measures quite close to that. The 80# was a grunt when I was younger. Haven't tried to pull it recently, pretty sure I'd fail and/or hurt myself.

That could be, but I know for a fact that Howatts were measured at the belly and not the throat of the grip, which is usually 1.75" longer.

I've spoken with Larry Hatfield about it and he designed much of the Howatt line. horses mouth as it were...

Yer pulling more # than you thought you were.

[Linked Image]

Just a guess, but I'd put my money on Shrap for who has exerted himself more in the chase of game over the years- and success in taking it. I've never met any person so stupid, or so full of themselves to not take game closer to the road if the opportunity presents itself.

I troll buy swimming with a #3 mepps tied to my pecker.
Originally Posted by seal_billy

im not impressed......i swim with a salmon rig down 70 foot tied to mine.....while the lake is whitecapping....
Originally Posted by rattler

im not impressed......i swim with a salmon rig down 70 foot tied to mine.....while the lake is whitecapping....
I just show up at the waters edge and the fish jump into the cooler.

Yup,I drink Dos Equis. whistle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

but that is unsportsman like, where is the challenge and giving the fish a chance?

Hey, if it makes you feel better to pretend your some sort of superior sportsman because of the gear you choose to use, then bully for you.

I've run into your kind plenty of times, trying hard to cover for some deficiency by overcompensating. With men its usually characterized by demonstrations of how exceptionally manly they are, like how heavy of a bow they pull, pack they carry,distances they hike etc. We've had several here on the fire over the years, so don't feel too special..

Some guys have to use a fly road to catch trout, anything else is just barbaric and only practiced by cretins. Some guys have to use an expensive double and pedigreed dog to hunt the stupidest of game birds, because thats the only "right"way, and makes them feel like a sportsman. Then there's those guys who do it in whatever way strikes their fancy on that particular day, with nothing in mind but enjoying themselves. Generally they've been there and done that so many times that the thought of what someone else might think of it never occurs to them.
I used to grouse hunt but they are almost gone. I love wingshooting better than ice cream sandwiches but I see no reason to judge someone who likes to use a pistol. NOT SPORTY you say,,, I say bull $hit I can't shoot a pistol worth a damn. Keep your smart azz mouth shut if someone didn't directly insult you and you will be more well received. Shrapnel might be a "ground sluicer" but by hell he's our go round sluicer. Good day sir, now go clean that double and masterbait to the shooting sportsman or one of those other uppity magazines made for yuppie elitist f'er.
I let the fish fight it out as to who will get in the cooler.

Lots of assumptions here.

Did I miss the part where 357 shot shells were mentioned?

Most of us shoot grouse with solids. JHP or hard cast from a hand gun. Usually I use a Ballistic Tip from a rifle.

Just for educational purposes, a hundgun loaded with shot shells is pretty effective on a snake's head at six feet, but will typically bounce off of a bird's feathers at fifteen yds.

Don't you have some more gun control agenda to advocate somewhere?

i've been known to paddle a bait out on a surf board and have a shark pick it up as soon as i dropped it.

A real sportsman would braid their own handlines using their own hair or to be even more sporting, fish like an otter... fishing lines, we don't need no stinking fishing lines. :-)

Since you don't like people hunting with an ATV, I imagine that you get out of the motor boat and into a kayak or raft before you start fishing, right?

God I love this "campfire". We can easily, in the course of only 4 pages or so, get from "grouse in a dumptruck, to "swimtrolling" for fish! cool

As long as we are at it and apparently some of us are having fun:

EVERYONE knows that fishing like an otter is too "animalistic" and therefor not sporting in the least. To be sporting, otters would have to dull their teeth with a file. And tie their tails up between their legs so they have no rudder, the poor fish are at such a disadvantage already.

I have a BS (watch it guys, that means Bachelor of Science, not what you'd like it to mean grin) degree in Fisheries, I work in the fisheries field, have fished with numerous methods for close to 50 years now, have caught fish on both sides of the country, In fresh, salt, and brackish water, have trophies from a bass fishing club I used to fish with, and I've been likened to a dysfunctional squirrel.

That makes me the "x-purt" right, so what I say goes!

We all should be fishing with hand braided lines from the rainbow tails of virgin unicorns!

With a rod made from a willow branch harvested (in a sporting manner of course) along the banks of a magical stream in the "enchanted forest". Harvested by Snow White, naturally.

Our hook should only be made forged by elves, the same ones who fashioned the swords for Gimli or one of those other Hobbitses. It should only be made of the finest exotic metal taken from the belly of a downed ALIEN ship found in the bowels of Mt Shasta or similar landing zone. The Orks could provide it to the elves. My world and I say they're at peace now, the unicorns demanded it.

We will have our brightly colored lures constructed by the McSwirly company using only 'Murican made "Loopy" rings to attach the above elfin hooks. (never never would we consider lures made by B&C, or Hogue, or eeeek.. RamLine!)

The most sporting aspect of this method of fishing is that the fish will never be caught or even hooked. The McSwirly lure and rainbow line will be invisble to the fish due to the refraction of the light in water. Should, by some amazing circumstance, the fish notice the lure in a shadow or something, it will use it's lateral line and bio-electrical current detector and it will be repelled by the ALIEN metal of the hook. It will notify other fish in the area of the danger by means of its "Schreckstoffzellen" (real word, real functioning part of certain fish, Look it up if you don't believe me. x-purt, remember wink ).

Therefor we will all be sportsmen (and sportswomen, and sports gender neutral, etc etc) if only you all will follow MY instruction.

I will never again fish with a baitcaster, a spinning rig, or even my fly rod.

Unless of course some nice person here on the 'fire donates (permanently) me a really nice handmade bamboo one. A 5 wt or so might be nice.

FB2 and Paddler, please take my humor as it is meant, in fun. I, too, enjoy a walk in the woods with a shotgun to try to kick up a bird or two. I however, am an opportunistic one and if presented would attempt to harvest a grouse for camp food with my pistol or my bow while hunting larger tasty critters.

Shrapnel, assuming you've managed to read thru my drivel, my apologies for getting off topic. Please keep taking the kids to the "woods", however they get there is better than them not going.

Respectfully to all,

Geno

PS, what was it Rodney King said? Something about getting along?

PPS. I sure wish I could be out walking around in the woods, or at least in my garden. It is a bright clear warm fall day here on the dry side of WA. But, I require money to feed my outdoor pursuits and such, and therefor must slave away the day.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

i've been known to paddle a bait out on a surf board and have a shark pick it up as soon as i dropped it.
Doesn't that make a wee bit nervous,Stx?

Loaded up early this morning and even took the wife along. She did a fine job of moving the Subaru every so often so I didn't have to walk back every time.

Walked a few miles through the soggy jungle of CRP and flushed literally 50-60 sharptails but they were all at 50-100 yards. And then of course they got up in the wind and flew until they were out of sight.

Started to get mildly disappointed and the mangina was getting damp and chilly but luckily finally stumbled onto a couple of close flushers.

Eastern Montana snobbery at its finest....

[Linked Image]

People keep telling me there's bird pocket in the vest but I haven't found them yet.
In my hood grouse hunters use dogs and scatterguns and a good day is "maybe" 1 bird to show for lots of walking. We have VERY few, Im jealous of you guys who have enough you can just walk out and shoot them with a handgun!

My preference is to shoot them on the wing even when I could ground swat em.

To each his own.

Sounds like there are enough birds to raise a dam fine grouse dog.

Loaded up early this morning and even took the wife along. She did a fine job of moving the Subaru every so often so I didn't have to walk back every time.

Walked a few miles through the soggy jungle of CRP and flushed literally 50-60 sharptails but they were all at 50-100 yards. And then of course they got up in the wind and flew until they were out of sight.

Started to get mildly disappointed and the mangina was getting damp and chilly but luckily finally stumbled onto a couple of close flushers.

[Linked Image]

People keep telling me there's bird pocket in the vest but I haven't found them yet.

Where are the knickers and tweed sport coat?

[Linked Image]

Where are the knickers and tweed sport coat?

I was thinking the same thing,

And aren't those barrels on wrong? how did that gun shoot? they're 'posed to be on sidewards, no? Or is it just my old eyes not seein' right?

Sam, you're a brave man, admitting you ride in a Subaru! (are there bumper stickers on that thing?)

Thanks for the pic and story,

Geno

A yup, I noo'd it. Thet's y yu was 'lected Chief of the cabal. Squirrels likes it tew. speshelly dizfunckshunal wons.

Used to love the stuff when I was a younger man.

Geno

I'm betting that little twirp that works at your local firearms emporium sewed it shut for spite. wink

Back on topic,,,, I like to hunt Grouse with a dog too but I will shoot one (or two) out of a tree on the way back to the truck.

[Linked Image]

What others do whether I agree with it or not is none of my business as long as it's legal.
As far as "sporting" goes....Piddler's an idiot....I guarantee the odds are in a Grouse's favor if I'm shooting at it with a 2" barreled handgun from just about any distance.
Around here Ruffed Grouse are far from the dumbest of game birds. Birds are down here from historic numbers and you are hunting survivors. They don't usually hang around all that much, although some do.

One thing I can tell Paddler is I have had the opportunity to hunt with some excellent Eastern Grouse hunters and a couple of them have what many would call a great Dog. And more than the proverbial one. They pretty much live the game. When it comes to a Bird giving them a fair opportunity, it odds are only slightly better than your in the tree pic. A couple of them are deadly, especially when they get into enough Birds and find their groove. Makes little difference to the Grouse.

If these guys would have have to hunt Grouse that were wilder they still would. Why? Simple really, they are hunters. Perhaps some would enjoy it more with the increased challenge. They obviously have more than a few Birds and there are covers they again obviously never
touch and they only take a very small percentage of available Birds.

They do it differently, but they do it legally. Anything else is personal preference.

If it makes you feel a little better. However, I kinda took an unfair advantage that day. They were not all that interested in flying, but when forced to had no choice. Nor is a Model 59 a double. In fact it is more efficient than most of them. grin

[Linked Image]
wink
This thread is so full of smug superiority that it's dripping. Whatever happened to "Hm, that's interesting. You seem to enjoy that. I do things this way, and I enjoy this."

A lot better than the pathetic oneupsmanship going on. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes, folks. Until then, STFU.

Nice hunt, Shrap! I've done a bit of handgun grousing, and it is quite satisfying in every regard. Including the grandkids is the cake AND the icing.
Originally Posted by PSE

There's more than one sporting way to take grouse. The whole idea is to harvest as much meat as possible and ensure a clean humane kill. That's the sporting ideal.

Shooting grouse with a rifle (I myself use a .22) can be very sporting as you are trying to hit a target the size of a 50 cent piece and the result is usually either a instant kill or a clean miss. Up here if the grouse flies, they're usually in the thick bush in a second and effectively screened from a direct hit of bird shot so if you intend to get any birds at all without the advantage of a bird dog, head shots with a rifle (or pistol) is a viable as well as a sporting way to do it.
You don't find it sporting - I do and apparently the hunting regs do, so we'll have to disagree on that point.

I would also much prefer a head shot grouse as opposed to a pellet ridden grouse body any day.

Yup that right there.
Well I a agree that some of the blue/mountain grouse varieties are as dumb as fence posts, the ruffed grouse is pretty wily.

Come out to Minny, the ruffed grouse capital of the US. They will humble most people in an afternoon.
Originally Posted by battue
Around here Ruffed Grouse are far from the dumbest of game birds. Birds are down here from historic numbers and you are hunting survivors. They don't usually hang around all that much, although some do.

One thing I can tell Paddler is I have had the opportunity to hunt with some excellent Eastern Grouse hunters and a couple of them have what many would call a great Dog. And more than the proverbial one. They pretty much live the game. When it comes to a Bird giving them a fair opportunity, it odds are only slightly better than your in the tree pic. A couple of them are deadly, especially when they get into enough Birds and find their groove. Makes little difference to the Grouse.

If these guys would have have to hunt Grouse that were wilder they still would. Why? Simple really, they are hunters. Perhaps some would enjoy it more with the increased challenge. They obviously have more than a few Birds and there are covers they again obviously never
touch and they only take a very small percentage of available Birds.

They do it differently, but they do it legally. Anything else is personal preference.

If it makes you feel a little better. However, I kinda took an unfair advantage that day. They were not all that interested in flying, but when forced to had no choice. Nor is a Model 59 a double. In fact it is more efficient than most of them. grin

[Linked Image]

Battue, the dog looks quite happy.

Or did you harvest a small black bear that day also? grin

Thanks for the pic and story,

Geno

PPS. I sure wish I could be out walking around in the woods, or at least in my garden. It is a bright clear warm fall day here on the dry side of WA. But, I require money to feed my outdoor pursuits and such, and therefor must slave away the day.

Horse hockey.

You're pontificating on the internet on company time...now get your ass back to work. smile
I'm a douchebag and here is my douchebag house. My dog hates me.

[Linked Image]

Agreed!
Damn, Paddler was even too much of a douchebag for Utah Refuge , he was banned.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/hunts-from-the-pre-digital-age.844887/

Notice the silly bitches signature line?

"... you'd think it would have done better than that, and it would have,
if it had been a heavier rifle with a bigger bullet." - Elmer Keith

Obama 2012

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Well I a agree that some of the blue/mountain grouse varieties are as dumb as fence posts, the ruffed grouse is pretty wily.

Come out to to Minny, the ruffed grouse capital of the US. They will humble most people in an afternoon.

The ones in the east Tennessee mountain thickets are dang hard to pin down too. The terrain is steep the cover is impenetrable and the grouse are nervous as a queer eating a hotdog.
Valsdad,

I wouldn't call Toby a great Birddog, but he is a hunter with a lot of heart. He obviously was pushing his way that day and got birdy in some nasty conditions. Sadly at 10 or 11 time is taking its toll. Big for a Cocker.

The new guy is much smaller and I doubt will be as muscular. Not sure if he will ever be able to run on a day like that, but it looks like he will have a better nose. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Horse hockey.

You're pontificating on the internet on company time...now get your ass back to work. smile

oops, busted. blush

Geno

PS I'm not a pontif, there are not enough nice robes in my wardrobe, so please accuse me of shirking or something other than pontificating. grin

PPS and by the way there, you're getting awfully close to breaking the unwritten campfire rule for too many letters and syllables in one word with that one buddy! laugh
ALL I got to say about this IS WHEN'S SUPPER grin

NORM
I figured it was a cocker.. I seem to remember a thread/pics of your new one, maybe? And I'm really happy there are still a few like you that hunt them as they were meant to be.

ANd hold out hope for the new one in the snow. Short legged dogs don't always realize they are. We had a wonderful English bull/ Lab cross. Bulldog height and legs, lab attitude. It astonished us how much she loved snow when we moved from N CA to NW PA. She would have a blast in it. Didn't hunt, but just loved going out in the snow.

Best of luck with the new one. And commiseration over our dogs growing old. If you're a dog person like us, you'll go thru it a few more times.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes, right back to grouse in dumptrucks.

Geno

PPS and by the way there, you're getting awfully close to breaking the unwritten campfire rule for too many letters and syllables in one word with that one buddy! laugh

I thought about that after posting but I let it go figuring that none of these ground sluice'n hicks were smart enough to take off a shoe so's to get an accurate count.
I have run a Cheyenne Morrison for a very long time with 2 sets of limbs. One set is 67 at 28, I have a 31 draw. The good lord blessed me with the above average genetics.

I hope you make it as long as you like but am calling bs on your bow limbs.

Those are dink tuna and should have been released as well. I could not id the species as the video was to short but appeared albacore ish. To thump ones chest about such small fish, high priced doubles and high poundage trad bows is all i need to know about a guy like you.

I know a ton of so called doctor hunter types that profess and thump sportsman morals, poetic book quotes and such , they are always the first to tuck tail when the rubber meets the road.

Want to stop gun violence, take away entitlements and take and eye for an eye.

I fish in a lake infested with young tiger muskie and the thought of one of them toothie S.O.B's biting my tally whacker gives me nightmares!!!!!

laugh laugh

That deserved two,

Well they wouldn't be in too bad of shape if they were wearing slip ons, but if they took off the ones with laces, they'd have to find someone to help them tie 'em back up.

Geno
laugh laugh

yours too wyo260.

Geno

Good thing that lake's only stocked with tiger "muskie" and not those tiger fish from Africa! Guy swims with those he might be looking up Ol Mr Bobbit's docs!
I can't believe I've read 14 pages of this.

This rain's gotta stop soon...
Originally Posted by snubbie

Another dumb hick......it's only six pages on my puter. grin
Last night while leaving my archery stand I snuck under a pair of long beards roosted. If it would have been legal for me to shoot them in the tree with my bow I would have been more than happy to be eating thanksgiving early. If the man is hunting game within legal hunting parameters, it says part of his character is that he abides by the law. Using that quote about what a man does when nobody is looking in no way shape or form applies in any way but in a positive sense in this situation. Implying otherwise is just ignorant, there were no laws broken. Just good shooting. I bet it was a pile of fun and good eats.

MM

We got more today, we used a dog to appease the sportsmen...

[Linked Image]

My "ethical" question:

Awaiting your response,

Geno

Paddler, here's hoping you had a nice enough day.

For the moment we seem to have established that taking a grouse, incidental to the pursuit of other game, or some other activities, is at least somewhat "sporting". Correct?

First, do you know for sure that the OP was using bird shot? If so, is it really a big deal as it seems more "sporting" than a cast or jacketed bullet because the range would be limited and therefor relatively more sporting, no? Another poster also mentioned this I believe.

Second, do we know for sure that the OP was riding around specifically to shoot grouse that day? Perhaps Shrapnel was scouting for other game, riding fence, sightseeing, testing a rebuilt motor on the ATV.. There could be numerous reasons for him to be out in the woods.

Third, do we know Mr. Shrapnel's physical state. Is he capable of walking miles for a few grouse? If no, should he give up hunting them? If yes, and he is capable, how far from his mode of transportation (outside of legal requirements and hunting from "public" roads as in some states) must he be before shooting a grouse (with any chosen method) in order to meet "sporting" guidelines? 100 feet? 100 yards? a mile?

Fourth, your statement:
"It's also more difficult to kill a grouse with a bow than the way that fellow killed his" Is it really?

Do we know his skill level with that revolver? Do we know the accuracy of the load he was using in that revolver? Have we established a distance to each of the birds taken by Mr. Shrapnel? Perhaps a seasoned archer taking a grouse with a blunt while practicing estimating distances has an easier shot at 10 yds or so than a man with a 4" revolver at 25 yds? Is it more dificult to kill one with a rock, as you state you have, if the rock thrower is an accomplished or practiced ball player?

Fifth, your statement:

"Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption"

Yes, I tend to make that assumption first, then decide on the basis of evidence as to which ones aren't. Many seem to be. Some, I agree with a lot of what they say, but not all. A few I really, really DO NOT want to meet. Some of them I especially do not want to meet in a dark alley! wink

The majority seem to me to be like most folks I know. They tend to be reasonable to a point, thoughtful enough, but don't p--s them off or they get cranky. Their behavior mostly supports my assumption. As long as I do my part to not offend them.

I was questiong your behavior, the manner in which you address them and call into question their behavior (specifically Mr Shrapnel's shooting of grouse with a revolver). It is entirely your choice to use whatever method of communicating your displeasure you think best. I do tend to hold to the old adage of "flies and honey". If you are attempting to sway their thinking and thereby changing their behavior, you may be going about it the wrong way.

You might have noticed I don't do too bad a job of communicating with what limited knowledge of the English language I have. I'm not always good at using it well, my wife is always telling me to "use your words". I have been known to use a certain limited spectrum of the dictionary, that part usually "not used in polite company", too frequently in conveying an idea. I used to use physical means (throwing crap!) to make my displeasure known. I try not to engage the folks here in that kind of discourse, as it tends to rile them (and me) up. And frankly, I don't like losing. Some of these fellas are way better at it than I am! laugh

Discussions about "sportsmanlike" conduct seem to me to be like the one about pornagraphy... "I can't describe it but I know what it is when I see it".

Unfortunately, your eyes, their eyes, and my eyes tend to see thing differently.

In the spirit of politeness, I wish you the best in your field pursuits, even if your ideas of "sportsmanship" differ from mine.

Please forgive any typos and msipleinngs.

Geno

PS, Field Grade, I AM NOT pontificating. Blathering on like a gray haired ol' fool maybe, but definitely Not pontificating. No No NO.

PPS, Paddler and others: Because fishng has been mentioned already, is it ethical and sporting to practice "catch and release" fishing? Essentialy, one is releasing a tired and wounded anlmal back into nature. Sometimes with the idea that one might catch, wound, and release it again in the future? Would you stalk and "blunt" a big game animal, or shoot it with a non-lethal paintball type gun, assuming of course that it was within the law to do so?
Originally Posted by snubbie

There's 14 pages? dang, I musta missed something. I'll have to go back an re-read it again.

Geno
Didja have to put stilts on him so he could retrieve?

We got more today, we used a dog to appease the sportsmen...

[Linked Image]

Kudos, to the "dog" for helping out today. A liver or gizzard seems in order.

Nice smile too Shrapnel. I like seeing happy faces around here.

Geno
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Was thinking the dog is SUPER DOG! wink
It might have been hard for me to resist. Turkey is good eatin'

Good luck on your deer stand.

Geno
PPS, Paddler and others: Because fishng has been mentioned already, is it ethical and sporting to practice "catch and release" fishing? Essentialy, one is releasing a tired and wounded anlmal back into nature. Sometimes with the idea that one might catch, wound, and release it again in the future?

Pontification aside grin...that's a great question...and one I love hearing asked of the "purist" fly fishermen around here.
They usually mumble something about "irrelevance" and walk off.

Shhhhh,

he's really a "mogwai".

ALIEN technology you know. Tells Mr Shrapnel "right" where them grouses is. wink

Before the folks with regular dogs can find them.

Geno

Shhhhh,

he's really a "mogwai".

ALIEN technology you know. Tells Mr Shrapnel "right" where them grouses is. wink

Before the folks with regular dogs can find them.

Geno
Ahh..gotcha. cool
There's an ecological bent to that question too. Around here, as you know from living nearby, there is excellent smallmouth bass fishing on the Snake River. It just so happens that there are endangered salmon smolts, along with their non-endangered cousins, in the river at various times of the year. What do smallmouth like to eat? and yet, some of the bass fishers would never consider keeping any smallmouth, especially a large one that just loves to eat smaller (endangered?) fishes.

And our fisheries agency PAY people to fish for native pikeminnow, which the salmon co-evolved with (assuming evolution of course).

Ah, the old "irrelevance" ploy, it works when one doesn't have an anwer I guess.

Have a nice evening, they're about to "blow taps" here (day is done....) and I do actually have some work to do before my relief comes in at 1800.

Geno

PS, for those readers wondering, smallmouth fillets laid in a greased baking pan, slathered with some Mayo, and sprinkled with paprika, baked until flaky, are delicious. Also great deep fried for fish and chips. Help out a salmon! Eat a smallmouth.
I'm guessing Paddler would be okay with this photo.

[Linked Image]

but this one might make his head spin...

[Linked Image]

grin

Looks like a Shi Tzu.

He tells Shrap that "there's a grouse right over there, I Shi Tzu not."

Shrap does his thing, they both are happy.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Looks like a Shi Tzu.

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Looks like a Shi Tzu.

laugh laugh laugh

this^^^^^^
Multiplied a few times. Good thing I wasn't chewing my dinner.

Thanks Vic

Geno
Had a very nice afternoon. Convinced my wife, who is by no means an outdoorsy type, to go for a ride to see the Fall colors. She even allowed me to take the dog and a gun along. I took her up to the mountains east of here, about 9500'. She took the photos. First, a good dog on point:

[Linked Image]

Next, a funny looking guy with a dusky grouse of the year, taken on the wing with a SxS, just like God intended:

[Linked Image]

Last, a lovely little 20 gauge Piotti Westlake. This isn't as ornate as a King I, but is every bit as well made on the inside where it counts. It just may be my favorite gun:

[Linked Image]

To answer a couple of previous questions. No, I don't catch and release much. I fish for just a few types of fish, all of which I like to eat. When I catch them, they go for a boat ride. We put about 600# of albacore in my boat in two days of fishing this year. Could have caught more, but I only have a limited cooler space and ice capacity. Since tuna can be 25F warmer than water temp, cooling is extremely important in order to produce sashimi grade fish. That means a flake ice/salt water slurry, so ~15 fish is all I can hold.

Two, I like Ruger Number 1s. I had own two of them, a 257 Roberts and a 375 H&H. Couldn't tolerate the vertical stringing and so sold them. Cool guns, though.

Hey Piddle

[Linked Image]

Shrap,

congrats on a nice day out and thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image]

Damn - those aviators take that pic over the top! cool
Over the years the small game ran into the thousands, but the only record kept was on blue grouse when I killed from 41 to 43 of the big birds for three successive years with a sixgun

-Elmer Keith "Sixguns"
Classic suburban Utard.

Expensive rigging, no common sense.

Too bad you can't buy class.
I think we have all learned something from this thread...

Valsdad aka Geno is hilarious!
Had a very nice afternoon. Next, a funny looking guy with a dusky grouse of the year, taken on the wing with a SxS, just like God intended:

[Linked Image]

That may be, but God doesn't intend you to dress, look and be a douchebag whilst doing so (I spoke to him right after you did).

The Divinity also wanted me to tell you yours will eat like shrapnels (but with pellets) and to tell you anyone having a dog point and fetch wasn't getting to heavens gate any quicker than an ATV rider finding them and picking them up himself.

He also said a 357 was too much gun but anyone using a 72 bore spraying pellets was a real nth degree cheater....

How sporting is using another animal with a good nose to kill grouse? Try shooting them with a sling shot, or throwing rocks at them.
Not sure why so many around here feel compelled to bitch about another man's actions especially when said actions are both ethical and legal...

My guess is if most of the bitchers were standing in front of a grown ass man those big balls they use to post with would shrink about three sizes.

Just my $.02

twofish

[Linked Image]
Question is,why are some arguing with a known troll?

Other than the dork in the pictures, I was sure that BrentD had returned with a new name...
Don't miss that azzhole either. grin
My, you are a sporty looking fella. When your wife gave you permission to bring your dog and gun did she let you have your balls back for the duration of the excursion to the wilds?

mike r
Mom said I was a little angel:

[Linked Image]

Dad said I was a heathen that bordered on a cretin:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple times I've used a Springer to hunt Ducks, which made the Lab people think me a little odd.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes I get confused over it, however I do like to hunt Grouse.

[Linked Image]

In this pic there was a pump, SxS and Semi used. Eclectic group that day. Much like here. wink

[Linked Image]

Now, in my defense I don't find much enjoyment over shooting fish in a barrel. Then again, I haven't tried it so maybe I would.

Other than the dork in the pictures, I was sure that BrentD had returned with a new name...

HEY I still want to know WHEN'S SUPPER??

NORM
And-------

Out last night with a friend and found out at 54 she has bladder cancer. Think about that for a second Doc and then tell me how God thinks we should hunt.

Doc, you seriously think he gives a rats azz????

[Linked Image]

Paddleswithdick, (Indian font)

First off, loved you in Temple of Doom.

My heartfelt congratulations on getting A bird as well. Praise the blessed earth for providing you with a dog. Were it not for him you could have very well rode your bicycle home empty handed.

Good to see you went all in on Biden's advice and chose to hunt with a two-shot POS.

UBER. Seriously. Thanks.

Travis
Think about that for a second Doc and then tell me how God thinks we should hunt.

Nude?

Schitfaced?

Out of season?

Help me out. Where are you going with this please.

Travis
I killed one with my COCK.
Was that wrong?
I got the COCK from God, BTW.
I named it 870......AI, of course.
Originally Posted by deflave
Think about that for a second Doc and then tell me how God thinks we should hunt.

Nude?

Schitfaced?

Out of season?

Travis

See my edit. smile
Now I'm trackin'.

Travis
Originally Posted by wageslave
Was that wrong?

Sluicin' COCK with a COCK?

Could be a movie. In Germany.

Travis
Originally Posted by northern_dave

If you don't kick the fish up out of the water and cast your handline at a flying fish, you are a slob.

Don't use hooks either, hooks are for slobs. Lasso the fish, but they have to be flying. Then let your dog chew the chit out of the fish and bring it to you. But it can't be a domestic dog. Be a man, catch a wolf and tame it, train it.

Slobs.

I had an uncle tell me one time, that a REAL sportsman carried only fish sized corks in his tackle box, so when a fish jumped out of the water, you had to quickly plug the hole so he couldn't get back in the lake, then get out of the boat and chase the fish around on the surface until you could get him by hand. Anyone that couldn't walk on water was a slob. wink
So is it wrong to shoot a turkey on the ground? With a shotgun?
Is it wrong to make a rabbit flush before shooting it, or is it all right to shoot it while it's in hiding? With a rifle matter? or is a shotgun the only way?

What about deer. Do you make them run before taking the shot, only sporting, is it not Paddler?

What's wrong with taking all game with any method, as long as it's ethical?

Personally, I choose to shoot my grouse with my bow, but since it's a compound, I'm sure you think it's not up to your standards either.

Before...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]

Hahahahaha! Awesome!

Excellent! I'm taking my boy for his first grouse hunt in a few weekends. Btw, what's the dance on that fire starter? grin
Originally Posted by Jcubed
I think we have all learned something from this thread...

Valsdad aka Geno is hilarious!

Gee, thanks, there you campfire fellas go agin', insultin' a man for tryin to make a serious point!

Some old dead guy once said something like "I resemble that remark" (One of the Three Stooges according to some reports) (By the way, methinks we have WAY more than THREE of those stooges around here! wink )

And go ahead, keep pickin' on me,

I've been called worse, lots worse grin

Geno

PS, in case y'all haven't noticed, there's lots of funny folks on here. And not "funny" that way, get your minds out of that pattern. And quit bein' phobic too.
Originally Posted by deflave

Nude?

Schitfaced?

Out of season?

Travis

Travis (I see it's Travis today, not Dave, or Clark?)

Please refer to my earlier post, pg 2:

"Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! ) "

This is the established proper attire for grouse hunting, but only after Oct 1 when it gets cold enough. If you are hunting earlier in the season (or out of season?) you should wear heavy wool. Or better yet fur. Unless you are hunting down Missoula way. Or most other college towns for that matter. The anti hunters down there will KILL you for wearing fur. Fur is murder you know.

No s--tfaced hunting allowed. In the first place one is not supposed to fall into the cow flops there in your great state. One should dry them for winter fuel. In the second place, being s--tfaced could be considered a form of camoflogging (not camel flogging, different thing altogether) and not allowed, unsporting, the grouses might not see you sneakin up in your string and nutsack with your blowgun.

G'day for you's (Australian/Brooklynese translation of GFY),

Geno

PS, it's a pleasure to see that you and 'slave have decided to join our repartee.

PPS, I hope the boy is doing well and you're shielding his eyes from this awful place by taking him to lots of cool places to maybe get some tasty critters.

Originally Posted by wageslave
Was that wrong?

wageslave,

A fine how do you do to you today (easier to type than to say fast).

We must be expecting a change in the weather as I can smell the mill some miles downriver from the "seaport" this morning.

Now, as to your post. you got it from God, it is an AI, therefor logically that PROVES that Mr Ackley was an incarnation of some supreme being.

I knew it. I'm going to go out and AI my .50 cal sidelock! Anyone know a capable smith? One that won't just take my rifle , polish some junk on it, maybe clean it even, and tell me "sure, she's all AI'd now and ready to go. I test fired it out the back window even." eek
Gino,

I missed that as I typically only read my own posts.

I've killed piles of stuff with my blowgun. It's a slow and silent killer.

Clark

Two, I like Ruger Number 1s. I had own two of them, a 257 Roberts and a 375 H&H. Couldn't tolerate the vertical stringing and so sold them. Cool guns, though.

You're doing it wrong... smirk

[Linked Image]
Yep, them blowguns are deadly.

Except they don't 'splode critters like a good softpoint.

Unless you're using the AI version blowgun. grin

Geno

PS, no pics of you hunting nekkid with your "blowgun". Unless you were out hunting with some cute honey and you crop the pic so's we don't see you in it. laugh

PPS, I'm gonna start a new topic over in the "Manners and Civility" forum of the 'fire. (I know, you've never seen that one on your list, RicBin is blocking it from you as he doesn't want to offend the nice folks over there wink ).

I think I will title it "when Travis is going to start playing nice and read other people's stuff... The end date of the Angkor Watt calendar" (what the hell, the Mayan end of days was a big flop, why not Cambodia this time around!)

More Liberal open mindedness.

Never met anyone as narrow as a Liberal facist like Paddler. Happy to tell everyone what to do and how to do it.

Elitism in its purest form.
Had a very nice afternoon. Convinced my wife, who is by no means an outdoorsy type, to go for a ride to see the Fall colors. She even allowed me to take the dog and a gun along. I took her up to the mountains east of here, about 9500'. She took the photos. First, a good dog on point:

[Linked Image]

Next, a funny looking guy with a dusky grouse of the year, taken on the wing with a SxS, just like God intended:

[Linked Image]

Last, a lovely little 20 gauge Piotti Westlake. This isn't as ornate as a King I, but is every bit as well made on the inside where it counts. It just may be my favorite gun:

[Linked Image]

To answer a couple of previous questions. No, I don't catch and release much. I fish for just a few types of fish, all of which I like to eat. When I catch them, they go for a boat ride. We put about 600# of albacore in my boat in two days of fishing this year. Could have caught more, but I only have a limited cooler space and ice capacity. Since tuna can be 25F warmer than water temp, cooling is extremely important in order to produce sashimi grade fish. That means a flake ice/salt water slurry, so ~15 fish is all I can hold.

Beautiful country, dog, and fowling piece there.

Regarding the "intention" of the "Universal Power that Is" ( God or maybe another appellation, depending on one's belief system).

I'm not sure but my thinking lies along the lines that the intention was for us to treat our fellows on this planet as we would like to be treated. To respect the planet we were given ("His" creation, provided to us for free... See also "The Holy Earth" for ideas also). And maybe to make sure we do our best at dispatching our food without causing undue pain and suffering?

The intentions of a "Universal Ruler" have never been given directly to me, so I'm not always certain what they are. I attempt to do my best. Others attempt to dictate to me what they understand those intentions to be based on various pieces of literature and perhaps "word of mouth" information they have recieved. One thing I am fairly certain of, one of the intentions was for me to use my "free will" ( a line of thought based on my upbringing? mmm?) and "God given" intelligence (little tho there be) to determine a way through the world.

I'm not sure about the intention being that birds are only shot "on the wing", perhaps only with a double gun? If you were not trying to offend others here, we have these little "winky" and "smily" things available that let readers know we're joshing a bit. Take this with a "grain of salt". I'm trying to "get your goat", or "pull your leg".

If you really believe that grouse should ONLY be taken on the wing, preferably behind a good dog (why not a bad dog, are you being discriminatory? smile ) may I ask you a question?

If you are serious about thinking believing it is unsporting to use other methods, do you petition or lobby your state game agency to regulate grouse hunting to ONLY allow the methods you percieve as sporting? That way everyone could be on the same page, except for certain scofflaws.

Enjoy your fine double there, would that "God's intention" was for me to win the lootery so I could afford one. And the dog and the time away from work so I would have more time to spend with the dog, and my wife who probably would tell me "drive your own d--n self to the hunting woods" .

I think the intention right now is for me to continue to do my best and maybe hunt within my own ethics and ideas of "sportsmanship".

Good day and thanks for the pics.

Geno
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You're doing it wrong... smirk

[Linked Image]

T&C,

that's some delicious figure in that wood. Factory?

Must be McSwirly grade walnut grin

Geno

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful country, dog, and fowling piece there.

Regarding the "intention" of the "Universal Power that Is" ( God or maybe another appellation, depending on one's belief system).

I'm not sure but my thinking lies along the lines that the intention was for us to treat our fellows on this planet as we would like to be treated. To respect the planet we were given ("His" creation, provided to us for free... See also "The Holy Earth" for ideas also). And maybe to make sure we do our best at dispatching our food without causing undue pain and suffering?

The intentions of a "Universal Ruler" have never been given directly to me, so I'm not always certain what they are. I attempt to do my best. Others attempt to dictate to me what they understand those intentions to be based on various pieces of literature and perhaps "word of mouth" information they have recieved. One thing I am fairly certain of, one of the intentions was for me to use my "free will" ( a line of thought based on my upbringing? mmm?) and "God given" intelligence (little tho there be) to determine a way through the world.

I'm not sure about the intention being that birds are only shot "on the wing", perhaps only with a double gun? If you were not trying to offend others here, we have these little "winky" and "smily" things available that let readers know we're joshing a bit. Take this with a "grain of salt". I'm trying to "get your goat", or "pull your leg".

If you really believe that grouse should ONLY be taken on the wing, preferably behind a good dog (why not a bad dog, are you being discriminatory? smile ) may I ask you a question?

If you are serious about thinking believing it is unsporting to use other methods, do you petition or lobby your state game agency to regulate grouse hunting to ONLY allow the methods you percieve as sporting? That way everyone could be on the same page, except for certain scofflaws.

Enjoy your fine double there, would that "God's intention" was for me to win the lootery so I could afford one. And the dog and the time away from work so I would have more time to spend with the dog, and my wife who probably would tell me "drive your own d--n self to the hunting woods" .

I think the intention right now is for me to continue to do my best and maybe hunt within my own ethics and ideas of "sportsmanship".

Good day and thanks for the pics.

Geno

The "God intended" was, of course, tongue in cheek. Ruger used to put really nice wood on the No 1s. I could shoot a good group, then one with vertical stringing. The inconsistence was frustrating, so I sold mine. Before doing so, I killed a deer with the 375H&H. It was very decisive.

I don't shoot ducks on the water, upland birds sitting, and think doing so isn't sportsmanlike. It shouldn't be encouraged. It's okay, I guess, for novices, but experienced, skilled hunters should hold themselves to a higher standard. Or relegate themselves to the bush leagues.

It is only fitting that America's finest game bird only deserves to be shot-flying, sluiced or sitting-with something made in America.

Only one persons opinion, but I think those who feel otherwise are bush.
Where did you get the grouse bugle? That thing is uber!

[Linked Image]

Little known facts about grouse are what call works to bring them into decoys. Many bird hunters use unfair tactics with pointing dogs and don't understand the virtues of calling grouse and which decoys to use. To make it more sporting a S&W upland special adds to the experience...
This whinin' about shootin' on the ground, air, mid leap, wheelguns, #1s and horizontal O/Us is silly.

I get my birds on the wing without a gun.

[Linked Image]

Keeping them off the ground after slaughter is an acquired skill.

Got to go sharpen my knife,

Dan
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
This whinin' about shootin' on the ground, air, mid leap, wheelguns, #1s and horizontal O/Us is silly.

I get my birds on the wing without a gun.

[Linked Image]

Keeping them off the ground after slaughter is an acquired skill.

Got to go sharpen my knife,

Dan

Well at least it's a bit easier on the hardware than for those moose hunters in Maine that use Toyota Corolla "rifles" wink

And to be completely sporting, one should try bird hunting like some folks do...

Take them out of the sky with your "Piper Cub"

Joking..
You folks stay safe out there and enjoy your "hunts" whichever legal method you chose to use.

Geno
Never tried grouse.....cooks up about like pheasant? or a bit sweeter, like quail?

googled some recipes and about half of them had bacon and the other half had mushrooms, so either way its gotta be good....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2011/01/recipe-how-cook-roast-grouse-mushrooms

T&C,

Geno

Yes, it's factory wood from 1977.

This one is from 1976...it does not string vertically, either smirk

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Never tried grouse.....cooks up about like pheasant? or a bit sweeter, like quail?

googled some recipes and about half of them had bacon and the other half had mushrooms, so either way its gotta be good....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2011/01/recipe-how-cook-roast-grouse-mushrooms

I use it like chicken, well because it tastes like chicken laugh , grouse tacos, grouse cordon bleu, grouse curry, etc.

Here is a blackened grouse Alfredo, served with the appropriate beverage.

[Linked Image]
That would be better with beer!
Originally Posted by ironbender
That would be better with beer!

You just don't understand proper beer etiquette when your serving a gourmet meal prepared by a master chef laugh
laugh
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I use it like chicken, well because it tastes like chicken laugh , grouse tacos, grouse cordon bleu, grouse curry, etc.

Here is a blackened grouse Alfredo, served with the appropriate beverage.

[Linked Image]

Grouse is better than chicken, IMHO.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

T&C,

Geno

Yes, it's factory wood from 1977.

This one is from 1976...it does not string vertically, either smirk

[Linked Image]

T&C
All I can say is I must have started too late. My recent vintage in .303 DOES NOT have wood like the two you've shown us.

You will have to stop posting those on this thread as you are starting to cause a No 1 "jones". I'm having a hard enough time avoiding another addiction and avoid the "Single Shot" forum most days for that reason. grin

As someone else has started using in the signature:

DO NOT POST
CLOSE POST

or something to that effect.

OH, what the heck, go ahead, if I get addicted to #1's it'll just mean I"ll have to cut back on other things.

Like the AR I'm thinking about

with a "can" on it

For grouse hunting wink (Just kiddin' around Paddler)

So I can shoot multiple ones sitting on a log without the rest knowing and flying away (I won't have a shotgun with me so I couldn't shoot those, Always know your backstop, right!)

However......

I could just hunt them with a pretty #1?

Just sneak around to the side of 'em and line 'em up in a row.

"Harvest" about 6 of them with 1 bullet (that's all a true sportsman should need, right?) shocked (just jokin' again guys)

Question:

If I use a "monolithic" bullet and I end up taking 7 instead of 6 did it "way overpenetrate" ? wink

Another fine day out here and another day at work frown
I wanna retire soon,

Geno
I shoot them with my .22 pistol while sitting on my 4 wheeler and then sending the dog to retrieve... Unto the rack and pinned with a bungee cord.....easy !......

[Linked Image]

That ain't a dog its an Ewok... grin
For the epitome of sport in the fool hen haunts I go with a rare small guage S&W upland special. Longer barrel helps keep me from stopping my swing. [Linked Image]Light shot charge of a 90gr SWC. Starline brass 32 mag cases with an old style roll crimp.
"Sport Hell" says my lovely wife, "stupid chickens are too good eating to let them get away jn the name of sport". These were limb picked with her full stock 10/22. In the bame of migratory bird laws she left the BX25 round mags at home and made due with a pair of ten rounders. [Linked Image]
Lastly, the only bird dog we own that can be trusted not to catch spruce hens if they are on the ground. Not for lack of trying, just that 4" legs don't carry her too fast. Here is Hildegarde the wonder wiener on the hunt in the grouse coverts. [Linked Image]
That grouse hunting looks like fun however you do it. I would really enjoy hunting stupid birds that taste like chicken! laugh
Originally Posted by TheKid
"Sport Hell" says my lovely wife, "stupid chickens are too good eating to let them get away jn the name of sport".
]

Kid, I like the way your missus thinks. You got a good one there.

As for all this sportsmanship schidt being dissected, bisected, transected and perfected by various members on this thread, all I can say to that is why did I bother. I'm finally off today and we have no grouse to hunt here, so I'm gonna burn some powder at the range.
I just saw this article in Outdoor Life about hunting grouse with a .22 or bow and arrow. Someone needs to set them straight I guess.

Bob
© 24hourcampfire