Home
Posted By: Steve Guy survives bear maulling by... - 10/06/15
...shoving his arm down its throat.

GREAT FALLS, Mont. (AP) - A Montana bow hunter is recovering after he survived a grizzly bear mauling by remembering a tip from his grandmother and shoving his arm down the animal's throat.

Chase Dellwo, 26, was hunting with his brother northwest of the town of Choteau on Saturday when he came face-to-face with a 350- to 400-pound male grizzly, the Great Falls Tribune reported.

Dellwo was walking up a creek bed, hoping to drive a herd of elk to a ridge where his brother was waiting.

He was only 3 feet from the bear when he noticed it. He said the grizzly had been sleeping and didn't see him coming, possibly because of the snow, rain and 30 to 40 mph winds.

Dellwo said he only had time to take a few steps back before the bear knocked him off his feet and bit his head.

"He let go, but he was still on top of me roaring the loudest roar I have ever heard," Dellwo said.

The bear then bit Dellwo's leg and shook him, tossing him in the air. As the bear came at the man again, Dellwo recalled a story he read in a magazine.

"I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes," he said. "So I shoved my right arm down his throat."

The advice worked, and the bear left.

Dellwo rejoined his brother, who drove him to a hospital. Dellwo received stitches and staples in his head, some on his face, a swollen eye and deep puncture wounds on his leg.

"I want everyone to know that it wasn't the bear's fault. He was as scared as I was," Dellwo said.
Wow, whatever works I guess.
Should have had a revolver in that hand as well.
Do not attempt with sharks...
Originally Posted by ironbender
Should have had a revolver in that hand as well.

Sometimes its hard to hold onto a weapon when a big bear is eating you....

I know a fellow personally, WELL trained and many years of combat service for our country laid on the line, wounded etc.... that was taught to never loose control of the weapon EVER... and it happened in a grizz attack, after he got off 2 good shots thankfully...
There was a lot of TIC in that Jeff.

I often 'joke' about sticking a revolver in the bears mouth and pulling the trigger (should I end up applying for membership in a club nobody wants to join).
Can't imagine a bear or a shark.
But I do know with mean dogs, grab a handful of tongue and the fight is over.

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Do not attempt with sharks...

That's some sound advice

Doesn't work on bears from CA.

Travis
If my gun is on my right side, I'd be sure to use my left hand to go down his throat. Maybe try to rip out his tonsils. I suspect the bear was fairly surprised something snuck up that close.
Originally Posted by deflave
Doesn't work on bears from CA.

Travis

Probably right as I have used the same method on man hungry women before.

Okay...maybe not my arm, but essentially the same system.
© 24hourcampfire