Home
Posted By: seal_billy Engine flush? - 10/11/15
Anybody use one of those engine flush products? Auto's or marvels mystery oil, gunk en h inexpensive flush any of those?
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
F'n auto correct!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
Haven't used anything in years, but back in the 80's would add a quart of Rislone and five quarts of Valvoline 10W40 to the 300 inline six in one of my F150's. Did this about every fourth or fifth oil change. Don't know if it did any good, but the engine didn't use any oil and was still running strong when I sold it with 282,000 miles....
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
Add a quart of ATF 2 or 3 days before I intend to have oil changed.
As good or better than the other stuff.

Myron
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
A cup of diesel added to the crankcase and idle for a couple minutes before draining.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
When I have an engine I think needs interior cleaning I use engine flush by gunk, works great! Do not add it and drive it is meant to use at an idle it thins the oil and removes solidified oils in the oil passages.

It's been awhile but I think the directions read to idle it for 5 minutes and then drain I usually idle it for 8 to 10 minutes on real dirty engines and then let it sit in the pan for 20 minutes to let it loosen anything in the pan and then drain. I also watch the oil.pressure the whole time just in case a large chunk let's loose and clogged a passage but to this day I have never had a problem with it.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Engine flush? - 10/11/15
Best oil you believe serves your use.
Maintain proper drain intervals.
Maintain engine & PCV system.

Worked for a company that had engines on a SOAP program. (Spectrum Oil analysis Program) Other then things coming undone/wear, a good drain interval cured a multitude of sins.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Best oil you believe serves your use.
Maintain proper drain intervals.
Maintain engine & PCV system.

Worked for a company that had engines on a SOAP program. (Spectrum Oil analysis Program) Other then things coming undone/wear, a good drain interval cured a multitude of sins.

You are correct. In my shop over the years we have seen sludged engines that have had a flush. Where does the CRAP go?
It goes to the bottom of the oil pan and clogs the screen on the oil pump pickup.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Use a decent quality crude & even better quality oil filter.

-Ken
Posted By: KFWA Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
I would agree that proper oil change intervals is the best flush

however I've heard people rave about Sea Foam as an engine flush

Its been mentioned but when I bought my son a car that had 150K miles to it, I dropped the oil pan to see if there was sludge. That was going to determine if I felt the engine needed a flush or not.

Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by stevelyn
A cup of diesel added to the crankcase and idle for a couple minutes before draining.

Yup,
Though I lean towards about 1/2 and half.... nary a problem with anything plugging or otherwise screwing up over more than 50 years.

No clue as to how these new computerized, "sensor" equipped scams on wheels react to that,...I don't mess with em'

GTC
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

-Ken

Its that simple. Any oil that meets API specs is going to have detergents that will prevent "sludge" unless you just run it into the ground....more so the synthetics. No BS products or potions required. The filter is the weak link so change it when you change oil. I've never used anything but oil and never had any problems with "sludge".

The above is my opinion. Obviously not everyone agrees because auto parts places sell plenty of products for "flushing" engines.
Posted By: Teal Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by RJY66

-Ken

Its that simple. Any oil that meets API specs is going to have detergents that will prevent "sludge" unless you just run it into the ground....more so the synthetics. No BS products or potions required. The filter is the weak link so change it when you change oil. I've never used anything but oil and never had any problems with "sludge".

The above is my opinion. Obviously not everyone agrees because auto parts places sell plenty of products for "flushing" engines.

I can see a need for such things tho - not everyone owns and maintains a vehicle from new. Sometimes you buy used and just don't KNOW what's been done.

Posted By: CCCC Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
When I was a kid, Rislone and a couple other such additives were popular with guys who tried to take care of their engines and avoid sludge and clogging of passages. But, they used the stuff consistently - added some when they changed oil - swore by the process and the product - and had little of the engine wear/sludge issues experienced by others.

In 1958 I bought a 1948 Studebaker Starlight Coupe (green) for $20 - had two dented fenders and ran good but got hot, so I adjusted the timing (overheating ended) and went to the junkyard and got two fenders (black). Bolted the fenders on and got a cheap paint job and was golden. Then, to be good to my jewel, decided to add a quart of Rislone. Bad move.

That straight six started to smoke and burn oil - something fierce. Dad explained that the engine had been fairly settled and was going OK with the goo and other deposits in there - even on the piston rings - but the "cleaner" broke a lot of it loose, especially on the rings. I drove it for two more years as a smoker although the oil burning did slow down - but always carried a gallon of oil in the trunk.

One early/good habit has served well. Regular oil changes using good quality oil (quality has evolved) and good filters has worked. And, now I do add/runat idle a quart of ATF just before the oil change. Over 57 years and over 40 vehicles later have never had an engine problem due to wear or internal breakdown. Also, have never used Rislone again.
Posted By: victoro Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Start using synthetic oil and it will remove the sludge. Use synthetic from the beginning and there won't be any sludge to worry about.
Posted By: victoro Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
You should never put automatic transmission fluid in your crankcase! It contains plastics that can ruin your fuel injectors when it burns.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Worked wonders in the 70's on my sister first car- a Volare.

Well, as much as a wonder could work on a Volare.

She easily went 10k without ever thinking of an oil change. Threw a can of solvent in there and changed it for her. Damn thing didn't drain, it pooped.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Tried flushing the 350 in my old GMC 3/4 ton one time; couldn't even fit the damned thing into the toilet bowl, much less get it to flush.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by victoro
You should never put automatic transmission fluid in your crankcase! It contains plastics that can ruin your fuel injectors when it burns.

I'm not a mechanic, so maybe you can help me understand how the ATF gets from the crankcase to the fuel system?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by ironbender

I'm not a mechanic, so maybe you can help me understand how the ATF gets from the crankcase to the fuel system?

... and what is this "fuel injectors" you speak of?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15
Well - maybe never say "never" - my gas-fueled vehicles (14 of them) don't have injectors. And, if they did, I'd be scratching my head - and probably other things - trying to figure out how the stuff in the crankcase was getting into my injection pump.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Engine flush? - 10/12/15

I put some Berryman's B12 in the oil and let it idle for 5-10 minutes about once a year on my older cars. My Dad did it on his old car every oil change which killed the compression. He took the engine apart and said it was incredibly clean.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Gee whiz! What a useless thread!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
pennsoil= sludge

Valvoline= nice clean motor.
Posted By: victoro Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15

So your one of the many guys here who likes to post sarcastic remarks instead of making useful comments. Check out the 3rd comment on this thread from sixspeeedman about adding automatic transmassion fluid to his crankcase. It MIGHT help you understand.

Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Check out the 3rd comment on this thread from sixspeeedman about adding automatic transmassion fluid to his crankcase. It MIGHT help you understand.

Ummm... no.

Speedsixman said nothing about ATF getting from crankcase to the fuel injectors. That was you.

If ATF in the crankcase is bad, go ahead & make that claim, & explain why. If adding it to the crankcase is somehow bad for the fuel injectors, please explain how.

FWIW, If iron bender was being sarcastic, I don't think he did very well at this particular attempt. wink

FC
ATF or any other crank case additive will not have anything to do with the injectors.
Ironbender and FC need to be a little more sarcastic to that claim.
Posted By: pal Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Plenty of silly... interesting ideas.

How about this? Only put into the crankcase what your car's manufacturer specifically tells you to put in.
I agree.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
I sure agree as well with regard to the only modern vehicle we own - a 2001. All of the others here are 43 to 48 years old and the owners' manuals disappeared a long time ago. So, I guess.
Posted By: William_E_Tibbe Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Anybody use one of those engine flush products? Auto's or marvels mystery oil, gunk en h inexpensive flush any of those?

The new kid on the block is a relatively new purported product

CeramiLube.

Phenome, cutting edge.

The absolute new product

I posted super abudaaaa
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe

CeramiLube.

Phenome, cutting edge.

The absolute new product

I posted super abudaaaa

That is brake lube isn't it?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

CeramiLube.

Phenome, cutting edge.

The absolute new product

I posted super abudaaaa

That is brake lube isn't it?

If you patch your barrel with it you get a 50% instant increase in velocity. Great stuff it seems... grin
On a less sarcastic note, I don't ever add anything to my oil to "clean things" but I do to the fuel. My 16 year old diesel will burn ATF, used oil, Jet fuel and diesel just fine. Since the good diesel fuel went away, I generally add something at each fill-up. Right now I am used small engine 2-stroke oil because I got it for $1 quart at a convenience store! Ultra low sulfur diesel does not lubricate your injection system very good.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by pal
Plenty of silly... interesting ideas.

How about this? Only put into the crankcase what your car's manufacturer specifically tells you to put in.

OK, "PAL",

I'll NEVER rescue an old rig or the engine powering it again,...whether from a flood, or 30 years parked in crazy climatic conditions somewhere.

In the "REAL" world,...we never have to wake up a questionable or potentially damaged engine,...

always "Follow"

Only put into the crankcase what your car's manufacturer specifically tells you to put in.

What a large load of smelly, rank, and imbalanced fertilizer.

GTC

Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
On a less sarcastic note, I don't ever add anything to my oil to "clean things" but I do to the fuel. My 16 year old diesel will burn ATF, used oil, Jet fuel and diesel just fine. Since the good diesel fuel went away, I generally add something at each fill-up. Right now I am used small engine 2-stroke oil because I got it for $1 quart at a convenience store! Ultra low sulfur diesel does not lubricate your injection system very good.

It's rumored that certain "Desert Rats" have been pumping their used motor oil into their bulk diesel tanks, filtering it properly, and (GASP!),...putting it back into their road truck's tank. eek

The 2-stroke oil is going to blow up your (our) engine(s),....some when, somehow, ... Maybe we need to try to get our engines HOTTER, for that to play out.

Too damned cold and engine friendly to torture test any of this here, eh ?

GTC

Posted By: victoro Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15

So your one of the many guys here who likes to post sarcastic remarks instead of making useful comments. Check out the 3rd comment on this thread from sixspeeedman about adding automatic transmassion fluid to his crankcase. It MIGHT help you understand.

I opoligize for MY sarcastic comment. I posted it without thinking about what sixspeed actually said. Of course putting auto trans fluid into your crankcase won't damage fuel injectors. I had a friend who used to put a gallon of auto trans fluid in his gas tank at every fill up thinking it cleaned the carbon out of his engine.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

It's rumored that certain "Desert Rats" have been pumping their used motor oil into their bulk diesel tanks, filtering it properly, and (GASP!),...putting it back into their road truck's tank. eek

The 2-stroke oil is going to blow up your (our) engine(s),....some when, somehow, ... Maybe we need to try to get our engines HOTTER, for that to play out.

Too damned cold and engine friendly to torture test any of this here, eh ?

GTC

2 stroke oil is made to be burned. It is actually recommended over almost all of the commercially available diesel additives. 1 Qt to 40 gallons.

Swift transportation, the largest trucking company in the world, ran their old engine oil right back through their 60 series Detroits until the EPA told them to knock it off.

Another buddy uses old oil to make dyed diesel no longer red. Lots of good uses for it!

Motor oil has more BTUs per gallon that diesel fuel. As long as it isn't too thick to inject, it works fine. I wouldn't run straight fryer oil, it will ruin your injectors.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15
Is that why we see so many Swift trucks broke down on the side of the road?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Engine flush? - 10/13/15

I opoligize for MY sarcastic comment. I posted it without thinking about what sixspeed actually said. Of course putting auto trans fluid into your crankcase won't damage fuel injectors. I had a friend who used to put a gallon of auto trans fluid in his gas tank at every fill up thinking it cleaned the carbon out of his engine.

Well, that was my question. Glad it's all sorted now.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15
Originally Posted by teal

-Ken

I can see a need for such things tho - not everyone owns and maintains a vehicle from new. Sometimes you buy used and just don't KNOW what's been done.

exactly, I bought a little 2wd nissan to motor around in from a friend who needed a suv for his family. it needed a little tlc. he got it at 160k, i got it at 210k. since he had it he ran valvoline 5w30 synpower. it needs a timing chain so I pull the thing apart,, it has a little sludge and I want that stuff out of there. I will flush it and run diesel oil in it cause it has lots of cleaners.

I had been told run 3 quarts oil and 1 quart diesel till it reaches operating temp then drain. But I didn't know if this was safe or not. seems many here have been doing it so I'm gonna try it.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15
Originally Posted by CCCC
Is that why we see so many Swift trucks broke down on the side of the road?

They haven't used it for years but when you have 20,000 trucks in your fleet, a very small percentage is still a lot of trucks!
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15
A local truck stop got fined big time for dumping there used oil back into there diesel tanks. A disgruntled worker turned them in or they would still be doing it. All the diesel experts said it wouldn't hurt a thing as long as it was diluted real good.
Posted By: William_E_Tibbe Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15

I have the hottest thing since sliced bread;

Cerma Lube.

It will clean up your engine in jig time.

It has been vetted and proven with very credible references;

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

I have the full complement of products sitting in my desk now.
BIG order just received.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15

-Ken

exactly, I bought a little 2wd nissan to motor around in from a friend who needed a suv for his family. it needed a little tlc. he got it at 160k, i got it at 210k. since he had it he ran valvoline 5w30 synpower. it needs a timing chain so I pull the thing apart,, it has a little sludge and I want that stuff out of there. I will flush it and run diesel oil in it cause it has lots of cleaners.

I had been told run 3 quarts oil and 1 quart diesel till it reaches operating temp then drain. But I didn't know if this was safe or not. seems many here have been doing it so I'm gonna try it.

If you are doing the timing chain it is simple and quick to pull the oil pan and oil pump screen and do it right. No need to run crap through it.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15
I just use synthetic oil on rigs I want to keep.

it helps here in our cold weather that you get oil pressure faster with synthetics anyway.

I'll use Seafoam in the gas to clean injectors and such.

in my lil car that sets all winter, I pull each plug and put a couple of tablespoons of Marvel mystery oil down the plug hole to grease er down.

everything's still runnin, well at last look

one of the chicks at work asked me other day. "how many rigs you and your wife have anyway?"

I guess 7
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Engine flush? - 10/14/15

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

Stuff looks interesting. Pricey though.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Engine flush? - 10/15/15

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

William:

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this stuff before, but I just bought a bunch from their website. Sounds like the real deal. We'll see. The idea of a 30K oil change interval appeals to me. Gonna try it. crazy

Thanks,

Jordan
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Engine flush? - 10/16/15
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

William:

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this stuff before, but I just bought a bunch from their website. Sounds like the real deal. We'll see. The idea of a 30K oil change interval appeals to me. Gonna try it. crazy

Thanks,

Jordan

Your $hitting me!
Posted By: kendibs Re: Engine flush? - 10/16/15

-Ken

I never was much of a fan of engine &/or transmission flushing procedures.

Buy good quality crude & better oil filter. Change oil every 750-1000 miles for 2-3 times and try driving highway speeds as much as possible during this interval. This is a little hint which is safer for the system & will also help clean the engine. wink

-Ken

Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: Engine flush? - 10/16/15
This.....If I have a engine that is dirty I put in a Gallon of diesel and idle the engine for about 15 min!!!! do not race engine or drive with the diesel in there...change oil with the cheapest multi grade oil and filter you can find and drive it a couple of Hundred and change again...Clean as a whistle!!! been doing it for years..It will free up rings and clean out lifters. I have Had engines that were visibly smoking stop smoking after this treatment.

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Yup,
Though I lean towards about 1/2 and half.... nary a problem with anything plugging or otherwise screwing up over more than 50 years.

No clue as to how these new computerized, "sensor" equipped scams on wheels react to that,...I don't mess with em'

GTC
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Engine flush? - 10/16/15
I have drained an added diesel,idled drained and put in the new oil/filter......One time ....once..... I did the same ,but near as we could tell ... Cleaned it and a piece of crud found its way to a bearing on the crank...good bye motor...
Posted By: kendibs Re: Engine flush? - 10/16/15
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I have drained an added diesel,idled drained and put in the new oil/filter......One time ....once..... I did the same ,but near as we could tell ... Cleaned it and a piece of crud found its way to a bearing on the crank...good bye motor...

Read my last post.

I have done thousands and thousands of oil changes personally & was responsible for tens of thousands more. And that was just a small part of my job, the easy part. grin

-Ken
Posted By: Owl Re: Engine flush? - 10/18/15
Swift used it as an alternative to paying for someone to haul it away, and to increase economy. All of the major trucking companies have used some sort of blended fuel.

No, it's not a reason to break down. Swift had a very elaborate commercial filtration system for using old motor oil.

When I worked for Southern Pacific Railroad, they used blended fuels too. I purchased it by the rail tanker to operate diesel powered equipment such as bull dozer's etc.

And Yes, Dennis is correct... It was an EPA issue and going green for not using blended fuels anymore.

Swift, having 25,000+ trucks on the road is at the forefront of seeking out alternatives for increasing fuel economy, and decreasing engine wear. I've been involved in a few of these test's myself.

Because of Swift's size, we have had vendors from all over the globe come to us for fleet testing of their products. Some are successful, some are not. Some are too cost prohibitive at this time.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Jeff
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Engine flush? - 10/18/15
I spoke to the guy that owns the shop down the street and he said when he worked for a dealership they used diesel in the oil for a flush quite often. Anothe mechanic that works at the nissan dealership that is a friend of mine said the same thing. both said it wouldn't hurt a thing just do it with heavier oil so the diesel doesn't thin the oil down to much.
© 24hourcampfire