Home
I was in front of the Alamo Saturday evening, all dressed out 1836, about 100 tourists and no less than three Davy Crocketts in attendance grin

[Linked Image]

How on earth did I miss all this back then? I'm gonna plead England but that sure as heck didn't stop Phil Collins any (I've seen Brit tourists literally moved to tears at the Alamo).

Hey, a hero who doesn't curse, doesn't drink, always does what's right, doesn't kill when he doesn't have to and who goes down swinging.

We was all hooked by the end grin

Fortunately I already got most of my Davy Crockett stuff. And the whole coonskin cap thing? Hey its almost true wink

Birdwatcher
In front of our first TV on a Sunday night watching Walt Disney.
In front of the RCA television watching it on VHS. Used some attachments to the Kirby vacuum cleaner as my rifle and yeah, I had a fake coonskin cap!

Reminds me I need to add those movies to my Netflix queue.
I think I saw it at a theater. We could get a double feature plus cartoon Saturday matinee for a quarter. Popcorn was extra. It was a Saturday ritual for all the neighbor kids.
You talking Fess Parker on TV Sunday night?

"Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.
Born on a mountain top in Tennesee,
Dirtiest place that you ever did see.
Drunk a bottle of Bourbon
while the party was a servin'
Went downtown in pajamas and a burpin'
that show came out in 1955, and we were living in Jacksonville then. Had to go to a friend's house to watch it, as we did not get a TV until 1957.
The British filmed TV series, The Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Richard Green also came out in 1955. I liked that show as well.
When I first saw Davy Crockett? Years ago a friend of mine and I were walking into a large, old line show business restaurant, The Smokehouse, directly across the street from Warner Bros. studios in Burbank, Calif., to have lunch. Walking out of the restaurant with a couple of Warner Bros. execs was "Davy Crockett" (Fess Parker).

Even though Davy was not wearing his coonskin cap, I recognized him. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
that show came out in 1955, and we were living in Jacksonville then. Had to go to a friend's house to watch it, as we did not get a TV until 1957.
The British filmed TV series, The Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Richard Green also came out in 1955. I liked that show as well.

How long did the TV show run? I was born in '56 and remember watching it in glorious black and white. Must have been a long run or lots of repeats.
I had a coon skin cap (probably actually rabbit)and a flintlock cap rifle back in the '50's. He was a hero to us Tennessee kids.

My lunch box was Lone Ranger.
1954 in a little mountain town in Calif. called Oakhurst
My dad got a TV to watch news. we got one channel from Fresno. the TV had a convex screen cover that was tinted green to make it look colorized I guess. Davy Crockett was a hero of Dad's so we got to watch.
over the years I have done lot's of searching and have never found any real evidence that Crockett actually wore a coon skin hat.
as a congressman he wore Beaver top hats. he was noted for his sartorial splendor. that he was a brave man is unquestionable. not much of a business man though I think he must have received a good exchange for the ammo he used at the Alamo. God rest a true American, we need more like him in these times.
We got our first television when I was around 7 or 8 years old so that must've been about when I first watched the original Davy Crockett Tv show.

At recess the boys would gather up in 'buddy' groups and walk around the playground with arms around each others shoulders singing the Davy Crockett theme song.

If I ever have seen the entire full length movie I sure don't remember it.
The movie came out in '55. Both it and the TV series starred Fess Parker.
Lee Theater when I was a kid in the 1950's starring George Montgomery
and then on TV with Fess Parker
On the ABC affiliate in Chicago over the air in them days on channel 7, watched on a B&W Zenith console TV at grandpas.

This was in 1954 and I was a whopping 13 years old.

Saw the movie by that name at the Rialto Theater in Joliet in 1955.
Birdwatcher,

I have about as much chance, in the near future, of remembering where I was when I "first" saw the program or movie as I do of seeing that darn Henslow's sparrow around my RV here in WA!

Too many events (some in the 70's if you get my drift wink ) have happened and been stored haphazardly in the cranium file to remember where. I'm guessing somewhere in NY where we lived until '63.

I do remember the program, and like others have mentioned, had the accoutrements to "be" Mr Crockett around the neighborhood.

Thanks for trying to spark a memory anyway. grin

Geno
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

that was pretty much me.
Movie would have been seen on Disneyland on the TV,

In 5th grade about 1960 we studied the pioneers.
Janitors cut all of us boys rifles out of about 2 by or 2 1/2 rough cut softwood stock that we chiseled out barrels then finished. The girls did other pioneer things.
This was when girls were still girls and boys were boys.

Always wanted a coonskin cap back then
Had Davy Crockett stuff in the early fifties....he was my hero. Best Davy Crockett thing I ever had was the Davy Crockett (real) pocketknife my Gramps gave me for my 6th birthday. I still remember how all the womenfolks clucked and worried about that but Gramps put them all in their place, said I was old enough and he'd show me how to use it.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

this ^^^^^
http://www.101bananas.com/library2/crockett.html
Yep!
Watching my kids watch it on TV
In the town where he was living when he heard about the revolution in 1836.
Could be wrong but can't remember having a TV until around 57' or 58' and living with my Grandpa, would have been with him sitting in the living room that and Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, along with all the others. Was always a fight with the women/girls in the family about what to watch in the evenings, Laugh-in, Ed Sullivan and the likes.

Phil

It's too late to edit my post, but I should include a 'when' I first saw it as well. I musta been about 8 years old in 1992 or thereabouts. Reminds me I need a smokepole.
© 24hourcampfire