Home
Posted By: stxhunter frigging amazing - 11/19/15
https://www.facebook.com/diariouno/videos/10153645341080421/
Posted By: P_Weed Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
I might be out of a job soon . . .
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
They been logging a section across the street from us using one of those. They are a faster alternative if access allows
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Hope that's in my Christmas stocking. GW
Posted By: SandBilly Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
I've had some girlfriends it reminds me of..
Posted By: gophergunner Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Looks like a pretty good operator too. He sure keeps that thing humming along. I wonder how long they can go before they have to stop and sharpen everything? It's got to be interesting and expensive when it comes time to start replacing hydraulic lines on that rig, I'll bet.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Wait for the next 'What chainsaw should I get to cut 2 cords of wood a year with' thread on the 'Fire. That thing will be mentioned a few times as the best route to go and anything shy is stupid.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Damn... I just THOUGHT dragline operators were smooth and fast.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
That setup's been around for a LONG time.
Basically a "Plantation Tree" Harvester, oriented towards pulp and paper.

There's smaller versions that mount on a big skid steer.

The haulers self load,...big Hiab grapple right on the tractor.

We're a long way from spar logging in the old growth,...I'm damned glad I saw that end of logging, before it disappeared.

GTC
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
I wonder how big of a tree it will handle.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Yeah, they use those around here for all the pulp timber that gets cut.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wonder how big of a tree it will handle.

A SMALL tree.

Pulp sticks, post and rail grade.

Depends on what one calls a big tree.

GTC

Posted By: mirage243 Re: frigging amazing - 11/19/15
They have been around for quite a while, very efficient. Computer figures diameter and what are the best lengths to cut each individual tree.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
nice for making fence posts maybe.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
I could watch that aaaaalllll....dddaaaaaaayyyyyy.....long. There's just something so appealing about efficiency.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
The logging job down the street was using 2 of those to easily take the largest of trees on the site which were probably up to 36" diameter. They did some short logging and there were some decent sticks. Nothing like it used to be and still is in areas of SE AK. This area was logged the early part of the century and especially during WWII. We hand logged my property last spring and will be milling that wood in the next couple of months or as soon as the new blades come.
Posted By: ihookem Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
I saw one kind of like it but they pushed it into a chipper and the chips went into a semi trailer , and off the load went to the pulp mills in Wisconsin. Did you all happen to read some of the posts? They all though the logger was purposefully destroying the planet for money. They dont know any better. I think it was in French.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The logging job down the street was using 2 of those to easily take the largest of trees on the site which were probably up to 36" diameter.

the saw bar that does the cutting doesn't look to be more than 24" long.
the first three were the biggest ,if you figure ten foot long poles,the trees were only 30-40 foot tall,and the top was only 3-4 inches in diameter,at most.
wonder how it would handle a forked,or crooked tree?
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: frigging amazing - 11/23/15
Logging has sure changed over the last twenty years. When I moved to Western Washington, 1966, it was not that uncommon to see one log loads on the trucks, then three logs was the norm and now a truck full of pecker poles is about you see.
© 24hourcampfire