Home
[Linked Image]

Hired a guy to install the new wood stove in the log cabin I am building.
Sixteen feet up to the bottom of the roof, metal roof on a 12 12 pitch, this is one task on this log cabin that I hired out.
Excellent!

All you need is a pot of cowboy coffee simmering on top! grin
Nice!!!!!
Posted By: WFR Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Excellent!

All you need is a pot of cowboy coffee simmering on top! grin

THIS!

Looks great!
a raised hearth woulda been nice..
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image]

Hired a guy to install the new wood stove in the log cabin I am building.
Sixteen feet up to the bottom of the roof, metal roof on a 12 12 pitch, this is one task on this log cabin that I hired out.

perfect!
Very nice!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
looks like the perfect spot for a dog to lay by this winter

I'd love to have a setup like that.
Beautiful. I hope the walk to the woodpile is short and sweet. What kind of wood will you be burning?
I am burning oak, locust, maple and black walnut.
My daughter has the same stove in her house. I think you will love it.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
Looks inviting.. ?? smile
That is nice!
Nice. Nothing beats wood heat if you don't mind the work involved with feeding it.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by KFWA
looks like the perfect spot for a dog to lay by this winter

I'd love to have a setup like that.

Or the family cat!

Don't ask me how I know.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Nice. Nothing beats wood heat if you don't mind the work involved with feeding it.

Yep,

Coming in from a cold and snowy hunt,taking the boots and jacket off, and propping your feet up, staring at the fire, while sipping on a beverage of choice, is extremely satisfying and therapeutic!

Still a work in progress, but Skeeter loved it the first time I fired it up in the motorhome...

[Linked Image]

Yesterday I took it apart & added some ceramic floor tiles & cheesy insulation...it damn sure warms the place up good...

[Linked Image]
If you can find some beech for the fire base, it will burn slow for hours.
Dogwood will some of the coolest flames ever.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Calvin

Yep,

Coming in from a cold and snowy hunt,taking the boots and jacket off, and propping your feet up, staring at the fire, while sipping on a beverage of choice, is extremely satisfying and therapeutic!

Not chewing your wife or kids out every time they leave the door to the garage or the front door open is also therapeutic.
Posted By: EdM Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
Looks great. Nice choice of stove. grin

[Linked Image]
Edm you have great taste in wood stoves.
I think it is the most beautiful wood stove on the market. I researched wood stoves extensively before I shelled out $2,500 on this one last month, and I believe it is the finest wood stove in the world.
I'm looking for a new wood stove. Who makes the ones pictured?
Thanks,
Doc
looks like a jotul
Posted By: EdM Re: Got The Wood Stove Installed - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by srwshooter
looks like a jotul

Yep.
Looks toasty...grin
I helped with a stove once, we put a heat shield in spaced out from the wall, does that style need a shield
Jotul Oslo F500.

On a corner install, like this one, the corners of the stove must be at least 13 inches from the wall. The double wall pipe must be at least 6 inches from the big rafters.
I have met or exceeded these specs so no I don't need a heat shield.
However I am going to install a free standing hammered copper heat shield, it will stand on the hearth. This type of heat shield really looks cool and it won't do any harm to keep all that heat away from the big logs.
copper wood box, too?
Funny you should ask, the fiancee just bought an antique copper wood box two weeks ago, I never would have thought of that.

[Linked Image]
Here is my great contribution to wood heating.
These modern wood stoves demand very dry wood. Moisture content needs to be below 17 percent.
The gearheads over on the wood stove forum take three years to dry their wood. So, they have three wood piles, one is one year old, one is two years old, and the third is ready to burn now.
That is a hassle and takes up a lot of space.

I built this wood shed. It sets out in the sun and the wood bakes.
I just built this shed on Sept. 15 and in 9 weeks I had some fresh cut maple and black walnut down to 21 percent moisture.
That is not as dry as spec but it still burns pretty good in the big Norweigan wood stove.
Whereas the regular wood stove gear heads need 3 years to dry their firewood, I believe I will be able to dry it in 3 months.
And this is up here in autumn in the NC mountains, it is 35 degrees cloudy and cold today. I think it will really dry wood fast this summer when it is 90 degrees.

Along these lines, I have been splitting wood by hand for 40 years. I have a Monster Maul and a Wood Grenade, both are bad ass wood splitters.

[Linked Image]

But, this year I had to split some really tough maple, and some almost unsplittable hickory. I sent off to Bailey's for this Ochsenkopf aluminum wedge. Cost $55.
This thing has a 45 degree twist built into it, so that as you hit it with the 10 pound hammer it screws into the wood.
I have never seen anything that will split wood like the Ochsenkopf. Kraut talk for "Ox head." Made in Germany.
I find it hard to accept the idea of an aluminum wedge.

I'd like to see what that looks like after a season of use.
© 24hourcampfire