Home
Posted By: splattermatic Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I recently bought a low mileage 2002 Ford F350 crew cab, long bed.
The wrong size tires are on it, as for some reason, the previous owner put 70's on it, instead of 75's.
When I brought it home, my wife says it looks like a rez rocket, and needs lifted and bigger tires put on it.
Fine, but.....
We bought it for traveling, and pulling our 5th wheel.
The 7.3L, under the hood, has the full Banks upgrade, so power isn't an issue.

I'm going to go 4 inches. The garage who is going to do the work suggested maybe 4 in front, and 2.5 in the rear to level it, and " for only 500 bucks more, we can ad air bags for when you are hauling"
Sounds good, but I don't care about the rake, and 500 bucks can go towards seat covers, and floor mats.

For tires, I'm looking at 285/75/16's. I don't have to buy new rims, they are still 10 ply, and big enough (32.5") to make it look better, BUT, not big enough to effect the speedo,and power very much. That's based on the tire places computer.

So. You guys with lift experience, what would you do ?
It also has a drag up tank with electric pump, and tool box in the bed already.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Just make sure sure all the front end geometry is right
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I'm going to go 4 inches. The garage who is going to do the work suggested maybe 4 in front, and 2.5 in the rear to level it,
Pickups aren't supposed to be level. They're made to haul a load and that will level them when needed.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I see a lot of those "leveled" trucks with toy haulers heading out on weekends. They are the ones with the headlights up at 45 degrees. I would lift the same all around unless you are building a street only, no tow brodozer.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Single rear wheel? 4x4?

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I'm a big proponent of Air Bags. I have heard horror stories of incorrect installations causing premature failure of differential internals. Might wanna study up on it.

Posted By: tominboise Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
+ 1 on the airbags. Level ride height when unloaded. Pump up when trailering or hauling. I have them on my Duramax Silverado and would recommend them.

Unless you are lifting the truck to put 35-40" tires on it, I don't know why you'd put a lift kit on it. It looks nice but they are a pain to crawl in and out of on a daily basis and it will likely require lifting your fifth wheel or other wise accounting for the height difference between the two.
Posted By: deflave Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Not install any more lift kits.

Travis
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15

For tires, I'm looking at 285/75/16's. I don't have to buy new rims, they are still 10 ply, and big enough (32.5") to make it look better, BUT, not big enough to effect the speedo,and power very much. That's based on the tire places computer.

Just got rid of my '03, same configuration as yours, had 285/75-16's on it the entire time, with no lift and no issues.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I just turned 78 and I need a lift kit. And I do not even own a truck.
Posted By: deflave Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

How does somebody as stupid as you live to be 78?

Travis
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
It is easy. All I have to do is be smarter than you.

I have owned several trucks. Never saw any need to lift them.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by deflave

Not install any more lift kits.

Travis

This here. If your running stock tires, and you should, leave it alone. Air bags would be fine for big loads or just to stabilize your fifth wheel.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I believe you need a lift kit for a 5th wheel towing truck, like you need a hole in the head.
Air bags, on the other hand, serve a very real practical purpose.
The ability to tow your trailer level provides a lot of advantages. I have not seen a setup that would benefit from being 4" higher.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
A lift kit will screw up your handling and fuel mileage, and is definitely not a plus for towing. The only rationale for them is for off road use, where the ground clearance is needed. Put proper size tires on and enjoy. I do believe air bags are a plus for towing and heavy hauling, though.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter

This ties in with my original thought that the thread was going to be about foundation garments for the ladies.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I'd be more apt to go with leveling blocks in the front and air bags for hauling I the rear. I've leveled every truck I've had from a Dodge Dakota to a 99 Cummins and after an alignment, I've had no ill effects from front leveling blocks. Those air bags will keep the bed level when hauling. A 250/350 frame should allow 34-35" tires after leveling the front only.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Proper tires and GOOD air bags will do the job just fine. The lift kits are a PITA and waste of money IMHO.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Will you have enough bed rail clearance you won't hit the bed the first pot hole you hit? Then you run into all the fun stuff like drive line vibration, broken u-joints, etc. I wouldn't lift a tow vehicle.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Points all taken.
First, it's NOT a daily driver. It's only uses are for road trips, and hauling a 42' 5th wheel with 4 slides, and on in the mountain trips, add 900 pounds for filling the drag up tank.
Second, the 5th wheel levels my Dodge dually. If I level the Ford, that means when loaded, it be squattin. If I leave it normal rear high rake, it'll level the truck.
The camper rides level with a higher sitting Dodge, adding a lift to a low sitting Ford will equal the heights.
Oh, single axle rear, 4wd.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Points all taken.
First, it's NOT a daily driver. It's only uses are for road trips, and hauling a 42' 5th wheel with 4 slides, and on in the mountain trips, add 900 pounds for filling the drag up tank.
Second, the 5th wheel levels my Dodge dually. If I level the Ford, that means when loaded, it be squattin. If I leave it normal rear high rake, it'll level the truck.
The camper rides level with a higher sitting Dodge, adding a lift to a low sitting Ford will equal the heights.

Your money, do what you want but lift kits are generally useless and cause far more trouble than they are worth. I've installed more than one and aligned more than I care to remember. If you need to keep the back end up install some simple airbags, you can do it yourself.

There are a few people out there who can actually make use of a lift kit, the other 90% paid good money to project an image, with the added bonus of compromising their vehicle.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Leveling kit for the front end and airbags for the fifth wheel. It will drive better.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I would be cautious about lifting it, unless it's truly needed. Air bags are wonderful for hauling heavy 5th wheels like yours. It improves your braking ability if trailer and pickup are level.

Dick Rupp told me he loves lifted trucks. He said they bring him a lot of repair business.

Whatever you do I hope it works well for you.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
The instructions for my airbags say to keep 5lb of air in them all the time. Measure the height of the bed above the axle when empty. After loading it up, add air until it comes up to the same height. That keeps the u-joints at the right angle. Ride height is more important than air pressure.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I would not lift a tow rig. If you want to replace the suspension,look at stock ride height springs with airbags in the rear.

Stock size, 10 ply tires will be your huckleberry for power and economy.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by T LEE
Proper tires and GOOD air bags will do the job just fine. The lift kits are a PITA and waste of money IMHO.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: blanket Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
you need a lift kit like a 2nd buthole, get proper tires
Posted By: EdM Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
I have leveled my last three trucks with zero issues. Current Tundra is up 2 1/2" in the front. It also has a switch that allows me to adjust the headlights as needed. I do it to gain some entry clearance given that the EPA has required mnfr's to keep the front end six inches from the turf.
Posted By: Teal Re: Lift kits ? - 11/22/15
Had one truck with a lift - never again. Unless I was doing something like a long travel kit from Camburg and that wouldn't be on a tow rig but a play toy.

Posted By: splattermatic Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Gonna go with a leveling, and rear bags.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Lift kits were originally intended for ground clearance in off-road applications, and the well designed kits featured longer travel springs to allow for better off-road performance. Today many of them are just fricken spacer blocks, either for the suspension or for the body - and they're worth about 10% of what's charged for them.

On a tow vehicle that runs on-road most of the time you'll probably get the best aerodynamics and fuel economy with the front a little lower than the rear.
Posted By: NH_Sharpshooter Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Yup. Why smoke your ball joints and tie rod ends just to make your truck look better?
Posted By: atse Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
I think people with lift kits on their pickups are making up for other areas where they are lacking in size. They are trying to make up for it. Just say in.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
I own nearly that same truck. 02 F350 Crew Short bed 4x4.

I hate the way it sat stock. I put on a 4" kit which basically leveled the front to the back and raised the back end barely. I'd do it again but wouldn't buy anything with the name Full Traction attached to it. (long story but trust me)

This allows 305's with no issues at all. I actually have 315's on it now but cant drive through a ditch without rubbing. I put air bags for towing the 40' toyhauler we had. It has a cold air intake, big exhaust from the turbo back, and it's chipped. The axles have 4:10's not 3:73's that are the most common and mines a manual six speed. Towing the fifth wheel wasn't an issue other than I hurt my turning radius a bit when I put an electric locking front diff in it.

I love this truck, it goes everywhere it should and some places it shouldn't. If you want to trade some info back and forth I'd be willing to give more details.
Posted By: passport Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

How does somebody as stupid as you live to be 78?

Travis

LMFAO!!! Who chews your food?!?!? LOL
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
I installed a 4" spring hanger kit for ICON Vehicle Dynamics (formally Donahoe Racing) on my 2002 Ford F250.

I highly recommend just installing the hanger kits which basically just relocates the factory springs lower (which raises the vehicle) and provides the same ride quality. 4" or less will not negatively effect the steering geometry.

I have 35" tires on mine and wished now I had just used a 3" lift and the 285/75R16 tire like you plan to use. It would have saved the money I spent on a gear change (456's) and would be much easier to get in and out of. A 3" hanger kit for the front and 2" blocks in the rear with those tires will give you the little added offroad performance you will need, with plenty of room for chains if needed. A gear change would most likely not be required with the 285 series tires unless you plan on towing heavy loads often.

ICON Vehicle Dynamics are the best at lift kits for Ford Trucks!
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Yeah... okay ATSE.....
If you read into it, my wife suggested the lift and tires.
But that's okay too.
Neither, she, nor I, are attempting to make up for anything.
I think you need to move out your parents basement, and get out on your own finally. It will open your eyes, at what fun a person can have, without having to ask mom.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
If i was to lift a Ford it would be a Carli pin top kit. Best unit to maintain factory geometry and improved ride quality.

I have had Icon prior and its good but the Carli flat smokes it.

For your uses a quality leveling kit with Camber shims and good shocks with air bags would be best
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
ill be the first to call you a dumbass for towing a 42' fiver with 4 slides with a fuggin SRW ford that has less tow rating than my 2015 max tow half ton chevy....
Posted By: TheKid Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
That truck will fit 285/75s with no problem without a lift. I know because that's how mine is set up right now. If I was going to be towing a good bit of the time I'd skip the 285s and go 255/85/16s. They are the same height but narrower. They drive way better and offer better traction in everything other than maybe sand and aren't as hard on front end components to boot. Narrower tires generally mean better fuel mileage as well.

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Splatter, I think you need to just sell that truck to me and forget about the lift kit. I'll take all of those worries off your mind, and your wife won't have to look at that Rez Rocket in the driveway. I can be over in 10 minutes or so.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Lift kits ? - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by T LEE

^^^This^^^

Bingo.

Lift kits are for kids.
Posted By: okie Re: Lift kits ? - 11/24/15
A lift on your truck is absolutely not needed for the uses you have stated. I will be blunt...Lift kits are stupid...
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Lift kits ? - 11/24/15
I really wanted another Dodge dually, but with a Cummins.
A deal came up on this Ford, I knew the truck, it has pulled my other 5th wheel many times on elk hunting trips, been to Wy, for antelope, and been well maintained.
It has 118k on it right now, shows brush scratches, a few small dings, and a couple of good scratches.
The bed has a spray in liner, a drag up tank, and diamond steel, tool box.
The engine has had the full Banks turbo package done to it.
I've driven it for a week now, around town, with a 6x10 cargo trailer behind it, full of waterfowl gear. I got just under 16 mpg.
The best part is, the deal I got on it.

I gave 8500.00.
Couldn't pass it up.
Would you ????The day I brought it home.
[Linked Image]
Getting a new winshield.
[Linked Image]
Motor all cleaned up.
[Linked Image]
Had the interior detailed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigNate Re: Lift kits ? - 11/26/15
Sweet truck, and smart purchase I'd say.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Lift kits ? - 11/26/15
Stole it
Posted By: tkinak Re: Lift kits ? - 11/26/15
Wow what a great deal! Leveling kit, 285's and air bags are the ticket.
© 24hourcampfire