Home
My 93 Y/O mother died this morning after a stroke knocked her down. She had been living independently until the stroke four weeks ago.

Mom was a Navy Nurse. She enlisted two days after graduating from nursing school in the Spring of 1942 and served the duration, making patient care her prime mission. She worked in a pediatricians' office while I was a kid. Later in life she went to work in our county medical center. It was sold to a big hospital organization, and she retired from there.

She was proud of her service, and she was proud of being a nurse. She was the last nurse in the enormous hospital to wear a white dress, stockings, shoes, and her nursing school's cap. She never lost sight that a nurse is there to make patients well and comfortable.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Very sorry to hear this - our thoughts are with you and you're family...
Fair winds and following seas brave sailor.

I am sorry for your loss my friend.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Fair winds and following seas brave sailor.

I am sorry for your loss my friend.

AMEN that,amen.
Sorry to hear this news. Prayers on the way.
My condolences.
Sorry to hear this, sounds like your mom was a wonderful lady.
May God bless and keep her
Prayers sent.... Most of the greatest generation are gone now and I miss'em. I was raised by those people. My dad was a navy combat vet. One uncle was a Marine and another was Army Air Force. Lots of others were defense workers. Growing up in the 50's and 60's meant that those folks were my teachers, scout leaders, local cops, etc. They truly were a great bunch and it's a shame that not too many folks nowadays see fit to emulate them. My deepest sympathies go out to you because that generation of people was a national treasure.
I can't say it any better than Scott did! Sorry for your loss.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My 93 Y/O mother died this morning after a stroke knocked her down. She had been living independently until the stroke four weeks ago.

Mom was a Navy Nurse. She enlisted two days after graduating from nursing school in the Spring of 1942 and served the duration, making patient care her prime mission. She worked in a pediatricians' office while I was a kid. Later in life she went to work in our county medical center. It was sold to a big hospital organization, and she retired from there.

She was proud of her service, and she was proud of being a nurse. She was the last nurse in the enormous hospital to wear a white dress, stockings, shoes, and her nursing school's cap. She never lost sight that a nurse is there to make patients well and comfortable.

As she should be. The tag The Greatest Generation is well deserve.
I too am sorry for your loss, but I hope you take solace in the fact that we were EXTREMELY fortunate to have been raised by the Greatest Generation. We literally grew up surrounded by greatness.

Another thought, two of the benefactors of the program I taught in college were nurses in Viet Nam.There is no one, emphasize NO ONE, I have higher respect for than combat nurses.

Thank whatever god you believe in for the good fortune of having that woman in your life for so long....
Bruce,

My condolences to you and your family. Your mother is unmatched and a giant among heroes. She has obviously lived more than a single lifetime. With God's will may we accomplish and be half the human your mother was.
Sorry to hear about your family's loss
Prayer sent
I am sorry to hear the news.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

donsm70
Sorry for your loss. Prayers and well wishes sent.
So sorry to hear this. They are leaving us a void that might never be filled. The Next Greatest Generation has some very big shoes to fill.
My condolences to you and your family. It sounds like she was a special lady.
Condolences L2S.... Prayers for your family during this difficult time....

Sorry that you and the rest of the nation had to lose someone like your mother among our midst.....

But I salute her, for her life, her service and all the things that made her part of what this country has produced as our very very best....

I salute and feel the loss of another of America's greatest and also the loss of a fellow Medical Corp Member, even if she and I served in different branches...I have even greater respect for her combat time in serving our country and also serving those veterans wounded in combat....there is no greater honor in my orientation....

But I also thank God for giving her a good life, a long life and evidence of a loving family well raised and guided by her... and also thank God for welcoming her home where she will never have to grow old ever again, and pray she will always be young... yet still continue to serve those around her.... being a corpsman, we have to explain to others that it is just in our blood and DNA....

God blessed you and your family and our nation with a wonderful woman!

Peace be with her....and your family at this time of loss...
what you have lost tho, heaven has gained....
I worked with Nurses who served in WWII and Korea.
Now there's a great woman. powdr
One of God's greatest gifts to man is ~ Mother.

Keep faith, always.
Originally Posted by BMT
May God bless and keep her

this

norm
Sounds like She was quite a woman. My condolences. miles
Bruce, Service Nurses are ANGELS! When I got blown up, the Nurses were all of that and more. Your Mother has merely gone to reside with the Other Angels. May their wings surround her and give her Great Peace. peace to you also my Friend.
© 24hourcampfire