Home
Posted By: gophergunner Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Man, am I sick of dealing with this. Caught it two years ago. No clogged arteries-they said I was one of the 15% of folks that get it from a virus. Pacemaker/defibrillator installed last winter. I have no stamina whatsoever. Just now I went out for about 20 minutes of putzing in the yard. My work consisted of hooking up the weed wacker and clearing the weeds from in front of the shed door, putting away a lawn cart and a push mower, and bringing the snow blower up to the front garage. Not exactly heavy physical labor. I've been in the house now for over 10 minutes and I'm still breathing heavy. I don't like the fact that I've got no wind whatsoever. Can't imagine how I'm ever going to get a deer out of the woods if/when that time ever comes again. Man, this really sucks. Anybody else out there dealing with this? I see my dr. Wednesday. We're gonna have a chat.
Sorry to hear that GG...

Tough row to hoe for sure..
Posted By: Redneck Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
From a virus? Woof.. Man, that sux.. Just this am on the news was a story of a hunter who had a fatal heart attack dragging a deer out of the woods to his truck..

Take it easy, man.. Have someone else move that carcass.
My dad caught it from a virus as well.

Do anything you can to try and take care of that.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Its a tough road, thats all I can say. Dad dealt with it for a long time. Some times it got better, others worse.

He had issues picking up a gallon of milk or anything with his arms.. no light sweeping etc..

Make sure you are dealing with a cardiologist and specialty with CHF for sure. NOthing to mess around with.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Yup! Wifey got it 22 years ago. From a virus. It is not fun.

She's had a VAD for 3 years now. She suffered two strokes last January due to hemolysis caused by the VAD impeller thus forming a clot in the machine. Clot moved.

If you want the good, bad, and ugly of it all she said she'll talk to you anytime you need to talk!!!! PM me if you like. As I said she's got well over 22 years experience with it now. WARNING! She tells it like it is!!! She don't pull any punches.

She has a Heartmate II by Thoratec. They are real good about not telling all the cons to the machine. When you finally "need" one of these things, they really have you by the short hairs! Lots of glowing rhetoric.
PM sent!
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Man, am I sick of dealing with this. Caught it two years ago. No clogged arteries-they said I was one of the 15% of folks that get it from a virus. Pacemaker/defibrillator installed last winter. I have no stamina whatsoever. Just now I went out for about 20 minutes of putzing in the yard. My work consisted of hooking up the weed wacker and clearing the weeds from in front of the shed door, putting away a lawn cart and a push mower, and bringing the snow blower up to the front garage. Not exactly heavy physical labor. I've been in the house now for over 10 minutes and I'm still breathing heavy. I don't like the fact that I've got no wind whatsoever. Can't imagine how I'm ever going to get a deer out of the woods if/when that time ever comes again. Man, this really sucks. Anybody else out there dealing with this? I see my dr. Wednesday. We're gonna have a chat.

got mine the old fashioned way. Widow maker heart attack. I take a handful of meds every day, and have to watch my BP carefully. Have the same sort of pacer/defib unit installed. It paces about 25% of the time.
As you say, no stamina or strength. Not much outdoor activity, other than camping, some light hiking, and kayaking.
No cholesterol issues at all.
On the other hand, having this mess beats being dead, so I'll take the good with the bad. smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
I ain't slowed down a bit, plus I have some damn fine friends. my wounded warrior pall mall smokin Cap'n PTSD dragged and loaded a buck last yesterday afternoon for me

laugh

Google viral cardiomyopathy.

It can be pretty rough, in some cases bad enough for a heart transplant. In other cases, not as severe.

DF
That's it. Thanks Doc!

Wifeys heart was a bit larger than a football when it finally played out. They originally told her the VAD would be a bridge to a transplant. But she says she's sick and tired of hospitals. She doesn't want a transplant And the cancer she has had (and still has) probably doesnt help matters any either with the transplant team.
Originally Posted by Redneck
From a virus? Woof.. Man, that sux.. Just this am on the news was a story of a hunter who had a fatal heart attack dragging a deer out of the woods to his truck..

Take it easy, man.. Have someone else move that carcass.
I've been doing a lot of thinking on this, and I can't think of a way I'd rather go, than to be in the woods. That being said, I really don't wan to go out of my way to make that occur. Maybe it's time to just whore my self out as a camp cook for some guys.
Called off work today, which I never do. Waiting to hear back from the doc. This isn't right-I'm going in as soon as I hear back from him.
Best of luck.
Posted By: goalie Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

She has a Heartmate II by Thoratec. They are real good about not telling all the cons to the machine. When you finally "need" one of these things, they really have you by the short hairs! Lots of glowing rhetoric.

I will be quoting this at work.

We put in a lot of LVADs, both as a bridge to transplant and as "destination" therapy. Believe it or not, the Heartmate II is light-years ahead of previous generation LVADs in reducing suction events.

They all still suck though. Pun intended.
Posted By: byc Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
My Doc is making me do a heart scan ASAP. Says I have an athletes heart. Sounds like a good thing but it ain't.

Godspeed GG!
Gophergunner: So sorry to hear of you ailment!
I am praying for the best for you.
My beloved mother has had congestive heart failure for 20+ years now.
She is 91 years of age and she no longer Hunts deer (and hasn't for decades) but she very much enjoys life as she does what all she can.
May I suggest getting a Hunting partner or relative to assist you in dragging out your Deer and maybe a trailer hitch mounted Deer crank lift to load your Deer in the vehicle.
Also you might want to look into an ATV for dragging and travelling in Deer country - if that is at all feasible and legal in your Hunting area.
I have been helping my long time Deer and Elk Hunting partner this season as just days before our Deer/Elk opener he fell off of a ladder and broke four ribs - I don't mind helping him at all!
I hope your ailment is repairable or at least you can learn to work/Hunt within your limitations and keep on enjoying life as you have known it.
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I will do everything possible to avoid asking others for help in the woods. I just don't feel like I have the right to take away from others precious time afield. I'm supposed to be the one out helping others, not vice-versa. I've put off getting a 4-wheeler, both on principle, and on finances, but that time is coming soon. Thanks for eveyone's input. I got an appointment with my heart team in a couple hours here. Hope to know more then.

Thanks again, guys.
I will do everything possible to avoid asking others for help in the woods. I just don't feel like I have the right to take away from others precious time afield. I'm supposed to be the one out helping others, not vice-versa. I've put off getting a 4-wheeler, both on principle, and on finances, but that time is coming soon. Thanks for eveyone's input. I got an appointment with my heart team in a couple hours here. Hope to know more then.

Thanks again, guys.

If you've got friends that can and will help ya out in the woods than by all means let them help! The time will come soon enough when going to the mailbox will wipe you out! When hunting, fishing and shooting is what you really live for, CHF can and will kill that for you and leave you wondering and wishing how much longer before you can leave this [bleep]!

Enjoy what you can while you can! Soon you'll find your so called friends disappearing! No fun hanging out with cripples! CHF in my opinion is worse than a death sentence! It kills very slowly! Makes a hanging seem like a good thing since it's over in seconds!

I'm sorry for your diagnosis!
Gopher if you were close enough, you could call me anytime to come get one out of the woods, gut/skin and quarter and cooler the deer.

Sometimes its time to accept payment for all you've done for others in your life. Its hard to ask, but plenty out there are willing.

Helped a buddies wife find her buck yesterday while he was at work, Carolyn and Tiger and I found the buck, got it out, and skinned/gutted it for her. She said good she could quarter and do the rest.

Its paying it all forward.

I sure hope someone is there for you and for me when I get that far.
GG-

That is tough to hear! You are too young to be going through such a thing.

A couple years ago, a friend of a friend dropped dead dragging a deer. Heart attack. He was in his early 50's. Please take it seriously.

Best of luck.
I agree with Jeff on this issue Gopher. Just reflect on how much you are willing to help others, and then you will see how much your friends are willing to help you.
Example is my kayaking. I can get into the boat, but it's almost impossible with my arthritis, to get out without just rolling over into the water.
I now rely on my paddle buddies to grab my hands, and bodily pull me out of the dang thing.
We all get a laugh, I get to keep paddling, and my friends don't mind helping me a bit. As Tony, my main paddle companion says, 'that's what friends do'.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Jeff, don't push yourself... a deer isn't worth your life my friend...have folks with ya that can haul it out...

keep us posted and you know you will be on my prayer list....

didn't recall you had CHF or COPD....

you be safe my friend...
Posted By: kennyd Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Any day spent in the hunting woods is not lost, whether we are doing the shooting, or just spending time doing leg work. I have had "companions" who never even drew a license spend as much time and effort and I did. It is only fair to pay it forward. You can also ask for solitude until the difficult stuff comes along (gutting, dragging). Think of the times you have helped a stranger, a friend, or had help from someone you do not know.

It is tough to stare mortality in the face, but we all have to.
Posted By: RNF Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
gopher gunner that is bad news hope things get better for you. I have helped older friends get their animals out lots of times and was glad they were there for the hunt.

Go hunting with your friends and let them help they will enjoy you company.
Sorry to hear this. Were you on statins prior to the damage to your heart? Statins suppress production of Co-Q-10, thus leaving the heart vulnerable to viral damage. If this is the case, and you were not prescribed a Co-Q-10 supplement, your doctor was negligent.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Jeff,

Last year I watched a head lamp come very, very slowly out of a brushy swamp. When I left my stand I walked past where it was headed to. Here was an old guy in his 80s dragging a small buck by it's hind leg. He dragged it out to his truck and didn't kill himself, but he had no idea how he was going to get it into the back of his 4WD lifted truck. Do I find out you did something that dumb and croaked yourself be advised I will hunt you down and give you what for.

You have my cell phone number.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Hate to hear this GG...do what your Doctor says and keep moving! If you stop moving...you'll stop moving!

Just get some exercise wherever and however you can!
Wishing you the best, one of the great things about hunting with buddies is being around to help each other out, if needed! I do hunt alone alot myself, I was told to get a plastic Jet sled, I did and you can move alot of fire wood or a deer, even with out snow! just got in from bringing in a blind 1/4 mile off the road in 8 inchs of wet snow, used the sled, got the blind, chair, and carpet stakes ect. Iv got a good heart so far but a bum leg, just move alot slower.
Jeff,

Last year I watched a head lamp come very, very slowly out of a brushy swamp. When I left my stand I walked past where it was headed to. Here was an old guy in his 80s dragging a small buck by it's hind leg. He dragged it out to his truck and didn't kill himself, but he had no idea how he was going to get it into the back of his 4WD lifted truck. Do I find out you did something that dumb and croaked yourself be advised I will hunt you down and give you what for.

You have my cell phone number.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hate to hear this GG...do what your Doctor says and keep moving! If you stop moving...you'll stop moving!

Just get some exercise wherever and however you can!

about the best advice given on this post
Posted By: coltchris Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Hang in there GG. I've been dealing with CHF (cardiomyopathy) caused by virus for (12) years. Had to have open heart surgery last January to replace mitral valve & am back to where I was a couple years before surgery. I agree, it is VERY frustrating to not be able to do things you used to do, but [bleep] happens, and we have to deal with it! I'm reluctant to ask for help also, but, in most cases, I do or avoid the task. In fact, was thinking of going out to my deer blind as I read your post. Then it occurred to me, I would need some help if I killed anything; so here I am talking to you! I'm 77, so some of my problem also stems from old age (better than the alternative!). I just returned from an elk hunt in WY (unsuccessful) that I referred to as my last shot to kill an elk. Disappointing, but life goes on. Follow your Cardiologist's advice & hang tuff; Good Luck. Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
I know what you are going through, if i had to drag a deer anywhere i would have to give up deer hunting just like i had to give up Elk Hunting
Don't ever discount how much it means to those of us that can help also.

My buddies dad is pushing 90 now. Keeps saying he will quit. But keeps after it.

Its all I can do to try to make sure we can get him to the stnad, make sure everything he needs he has, and get the deer and get it cleaned for him when done. If his boys are busy, then I jump in and do it, or at least help.

I"ve sworn that when he says he can no longer get in the stnad I"ll build him a "front" part of a stand he can drive up into and just roll the jeep window down and keep on keeping on.

Means the world to me to see him keep going as long as he can. Who cares if all he does is sit and enjoy and occasionally pull the trigger if he wants to! We can and love to do the rest.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15

Thanks again, guys.

Wrong attitude gophergunner! Some of the best times I have ever spent in the woods was helping friends. Either putting up stands hauling out game or getting them "un stuck". They would do the same for me without question. All they have to do is call and if there is any way, I'll go. I wouldn't trade a minute of those times for all the tea in China.

Watch yourself, do what the Dr's say to do and use your friends!
Well, the doc says I'm retaining water more than I should. All the other tests looked good-B.P., pulse, potassium, all good. They increased my Losartin to twice a day to make me pass more fluid. Told me to tighten up on my salt consumption, and get as much exercise as I can tolerate. Hoping this treatment regimen turns the corner for me. New doc I haven't seen before-very easy on the eyes. My wife went with though so that wouldn't have worked out too well.....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Don't forget that these young punks NEED to have old guys badgering them about doing all the work. It's GOOD FOR THEM! Won't hurt them in any damn way and will be good for them in many ways. Don't apologize for requiring help, you're the one doing them a favor!

And don't forget it ya old cripple! Do yer part and shoot a 1200 lb. moose!
Well, the doc says I'm retaining water more than I should. All the other tests looked good-B.P., pulse, potassium, all good. They increased my Losartin to twice a day to make me pass more fluid. Told me to tighten up on my salt consumption, and get as much exercise as I can tolerate. Hoping this treatment regimen turns the corner for me. New doc I haven't seen before-very easy on the eyes. My wife went with though so that wouldn't have worked out too well.....

Sounds like you might be feelin better. ;-{>8

Godspeed.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't forget that these young punks NEED to have old guys badgering them about doing all the work. It's GOOD FOR THEM! Won't hurt them in any damn way and will be good for them in many ways. Don't apologize for requiring help, you're the one doing them a favor!

I'd be happy to help someone wiht a 1600 pound moose even. But not a pound over. LOL

Gopher, with the fluid retention, obviously its no salt intake, there are other seasonings... and LIMIT your fluid intake on top of it. Tis not easy, but it makes life much easier. Not fun but easier.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15

this sounds pretty good GG. Im also with the others that say put the young guys to work!

Hell I don't have CHF and I don't have a problem letting the youngsters grab an antler and start dragging!

( One of the few benefits of getting old!) grin
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Hey! I've got the stuff to get a moose out of a bad place, but I don't go shoot a moose because the thought of getting one back out just doesn't appeal to me. My cell number only works for deer. It's too old for that moose crap
Hope they get you tuned up, GG.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
I will do everything possible to avoid asking others for help in the woods. I just don't feel like I have the right to take away from others precious time afield.

No need to ask because I am hereby offering to help the next time you make it to Pa. Spending time in the woods with friends is what makes it 'precious' time.

Besides, you never know what might happen. A buddy and I were dragging his buck out (mine was already in the truck) and we about got run over by 2 more bucks haulin ass through the farm field.

Take care,

Dale
Posted By: Shag Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
My father had it for 20 years before he passed at 89 years of age. A virus from dental work infection almost killed him and was the cause. Most folks don't live to be 89. Pops live a great life. It is what it is. Love to death those that are important.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
GG - the cardiologist and some very standard tests will tell a lot - folks tend to lump a lot under the term CHF. The myopathy from virus damage is one thing (and often is very troublesome) but other factors can lead to the tiredness, shortness of breath, etc. Other things in your heart function could be OK but a poorly functioning aortic valve could yield similar symptoms.

After many, many years of hunting alone and with progressive COPD that became more and more limiting, it was getting much worse during deer season a year ago. I passed up good still shots at two different mule deer bucks (BIG racky ones) because I simply knew that alone I could not get one down to and across the canyon bottom and up to a road. Just stood and looked at each, and felt fairly rotten.

A month later went to a cardio guy and told him I must have CHF in addition to the long-term COPD. Immediate tests - no CHF - but one really bad valve. Had a new one put in and that went well but other doc errors in the aftermath caused severe setbacks. Now getting better (slowly) and had a decent hunt last week - alone - but far from the young lion days. All of us are different with these things, but all in all my hope for something better continues.

I KNOW this can be tough, and maybe scary, for you and wish you all of the best - hoping you get some great results.
Posted By: goalie Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/23/15
Dude, you have my number. If you need help getting one out of the woods, or just cutting it up and making it into food, please, please call.

You're likely taking Losartan that's combined with Lasix. It's the Lasix that removes water.
Posted By: RWE Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You're likely taking Losartan that's combined with Lasix. It's the Lasix that removes water.

He's likely taking Losartan that's combined with hydrochlorothiazide which a) has a similar (but still different) chemical composition than Lasix - and b) is more commonly combined with Losartan.

It would be safer and less apt to cause confusion to say that Losartan isn't a diuretic, so its probably combined with one UNLESS the doctor is relying on the increased renal perfusion of the dilated blood vessels to promote urinary output.

He should ask his doc, just for knowledge sake...
Originally Posted by goalie
Dude, you have my number. If you need help getting one out of the woods, or just cutting it up and making it into food, please, please call.

Yeah, Goalie, I'd like to share a fire with you sometime, buddy. Did you get all your meat processed okay this year?
Thanks for all the encouragement and adivice guys. I will take it to heart. No pun intended. It's just very hard when I'm the one who's usually helping out others. It's very hard to take help, not give it.
Posted By: battue Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by RWE

He's likely taking Losartan that's combined with hydrochlorothiazide which a) has a similar (but still different) chemical composition than Lasix - and b) is more commonly combined with Losartan.

It would be safer and less apt to cause confusion to say that Losartan isn't a diuretic, so its probably combined with one UNLESS the doctor is relying on the increased renal perfusion of the dilated blood vessels to promote urinary output.

Was going to comment, but you beat me. Losartan isnt a diuretic. However, when combined with hydrochlorothiazide the hydrochlorothiazide will cause fluid to be eliminated.

GG, you best check with you MD on what medication you are to increase to twice daily. You also taking Lasix (furosemide) by any chance?
Sound alike drugs, i.e. lasix/losartan often cause mixups. Just a suggestion, but losartan in and of itself is not much of a diuretic. Losartan combined with HCTZ is.
Posted By: goalie Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by goalie

Yeah, Goalie, I'd like to share a fire with you sometime, buddy. Did you get all your meat processed okay this year?

Yeah, we got two deer and it didn't take long. I may hit you up for help if I get a bonus tag filled in the metro though.

Please just stop pretending you are a doctor and/or have a clue about medicine and health issues.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
Furosemide is what kept Wifey going for years! Getting the endema under control helps immensely. I suppose the upside to the LVAD is she is off diuretics. But it's her INR count that has to be closely monitored now.
Any time, sir. Going for ML season?
Any time, sir. Going for ML season?

Yeah, I am planning on doing some weekday hunts at a friend from work's place over by Stillwater. It produced a big doe last year, so I am hopeful that this year will pan out as well.
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by RWE

Was going to comment, but you beat me. Losartan isnt a diuretic. However, when combined with hydrochlorothiazide the hydrochlorothiazide will cause fluid to be eliminated.

GG, you best check with you MD on what medication you are to increase to twice daily. You also taking Lasix (furosemide) by any chance?
Sound alike drugs, i.e. lasix/losartan often cause mixups. Just a suggestion, but losartan in and of itself is not much of a diuretic. Losartan combined with HCTZ is.
RWE, I intentionally kept my comentary simple, expressing the rough idea rather than being a stickler for the technicalities, because that's how most folks speak. Techno jargen can often needlessly complicate an issue. I'm aware the chemicals aren't identical. The point was made, however, I.e., make sure the instructions were correctly inderstood, because Losartan isn't a diuretic.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
This dialogue is reason enough for all of us to consider being organ donors.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Congestive Heart Failure - 11/24/15
doesn't seem like you're on enough meds to handle CHF

this straightened me out in just 4 months from NYIII to back to NY1/2

losartin potassium 2x per day at 50mg each

120mg of furosemide as a diuretic

Coreg 25mg twice daily as a beta blocker will give the heart rest

isosorbide DN 10mg 3x per day

hyrdALAZINE 25mg 3 x per day

this is more attuned regimen for CHF, from my experience
© 24hourcampfire