Home
Posted By: jnyork Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
There was some discussion a while back about a Veteran's ID Card, to prove that a person is in fact a veteran. Not a VA card, just a Veteran's ID Card.

What was the upshot of that conversation, is there such a thing or not?
Posted By: goalie Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
I have a lifetime VFW membership card in my wallet.
Posted By: Gus Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
if your current id does not have a current picture id, then who are you, exactly?
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
After my first 4 years I decided to ETS and was issued an ID card that expired at the the end of my Individual Ready Reserve time. As far as I know other than that there is no ID card issued for someone who does over 8 years and less then retirement.
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Our county veterans service office issues an ID card to any veteran that comes in and shows a DD-214 and a valid photo ID.

This ID works for discounts in many places, if I am actually asked to show anything.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
I guess you do learn something new every day. I had no idea that anyplace did that.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Kentucky passed a law in the last few years that allows a veteran to take his DD214 to the Clerk's office when he gets his license renewed. Veteran status is then noted on an individual's Operator's license.

So far, I think it works pretty good.

Posted By: william_iorg Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Me either. I have concerns as the Deems want to say that every veteran has PTSD. Of course they already know who we are so the ID is not a registration.
I never ask for a discount. I leave that for the young guys.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
South Dakota has "Veteran" available on driver's licenses too.

And that PTSD firearm disability crap. Know a guy with the real deal PTSD. Nightmares, disorientation on waking, etc. He knows it and compensates. He was in Sicily and worked his way north with Patton, can't imagine anyone not having difficulties after going through that hell. I'd trust him with a firearm, or anything else, long before most. Naturally he gets anything he wants as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: 79S Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
They need to teach them how to decipher the RE codes on dd214 and what chapter they got out on... We have way too many washoutds from basic training running around telling bullshit stories on how they are veterans and got hurt while deployed..
Posted By: Teal Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Originally Posted by 79S
They need to teach them how to decipher the RE codes on dd214 and what chapter they got out on... We have way too many washoutds from basic training running around telling bullshit stories on how they are veterans and got hurt while deployed..

Don't make fun of Corey and Erica from RangeTime....

lol
Posted By: cv540 Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Wisconsin just started with the option of having a Veterans marker on a drivers license at time of renewal. Very small and subtle on the current license style.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
it goes by state as far as i can tell. in PA you can get your drivers license re-issued with a little flag and the word veteran on it. as far as a US gov issued one, i don't think there is such a thing unless you are retired.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
http://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-id-card/
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Thanks for the link, Steelhead. Had not seen that before.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Kentucky passed a law in the last few years that allows a veteran to take his DD214 to the Clerk's office when he gets his license renewed. Veteran status is then noted on an individual's Operator's license.

So far, I think it works pretty good.

Wyoming now has the Veteran designation on Drivers License, if a copy of the DD214 is sent to certain place, they tell you, and if honorable discharge. I now have the red V designation on my recently renewed license.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Thanks, Steelhead and WyoGal, that was exactly what I was looking for. smile
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
NM has it as well.
Just bring in your dd214, and "Veteran" will be put on your license.
Cost me 17 bucks for a Veteran plate for my new pickup. Should be here soon.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
My PA DL has a Veteran decal in the corner.
Posted By: bcp Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
Washington approved it on DL in 2014, to be available in 2017.

I guess it takes 3 years to figure out how to do it.

• Senate Bill 5775, which allows honorably discharged service members to apply for a veteran designation on their state-issued driver license or ID card. The new designation will become available starting in August 2017.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/politics-government/article25867168.html#storylink=cpy
Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
I've heard Illinois is working on one
Posted By: Scott F Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/26/15
It's on my Oregon driver's license and I have a DOD ID card for my 100% rating. There is also a Veteran's Advantage card but it costs to join and I see no advantage involved. The link Steelhead posted is what you need.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Veteran's ID card? - 11/27/15
Earlier this week I got a new retiree's card issued with a DOD ID number in lieu of my SSN - that is a great idea - if any of you still have the old DD2 Retiree ID cards you might want an update. NC added the word VETERAN to our NCDL in the last couple of years - done locally, you must have a DD214 with you (my local office didn't want the DD2). I don't know if the VA is issuing the new Veteran ID card yet. One other thing - I've been getting updates from an Army MP Association concerning LEOSA - if you were an MP you may be eligible for a national concealed carry permit; there has been a contractor hired to manage the program.
© 24hourcampfire