Home
Posted By: WGTaxidermist Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Does anyone have any experience with adult pellet rifles? I'm thinking about getting one for my boy and I so we can get out and do some target shooting without it costing an arm and a leg with 22 shells being so hard to come by. I want something that is going to be accurate unlike the regular pump bb/pellet rifles. The ones I'm looking at are the break barrel kind with the spring. Any advice yall can give me would be much appreciated!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
PM Barry, rockinbbar
Posted By: Scott F Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Look at the nitro type. Crossman is a place to start.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Also, watch videos from [b][color:#3333FF]Ted's Hold-Over,[/color][/b] he's an expert on adult air rifles..
Posted By: gwrench Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Run it by the guys in the air gun forum.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/61/1/Air_Guns
Posted By: jnyork Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Browse here: http://www.pyramydair.com/
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
I have several air rifles at present. Some multi pump pneumatics, some co2 and some break barrel springers. The break barrel springers are my least favorite and not as accurate as my best pneumatic and co2 rifles. At present my favorite plinker is a Sheridan 2260MB .22 caliber co2 rifle. It's accurate enough to hit a ping pong ball every time at 35 yards. Powerful enough to punch holes clear through a soup can at the same distance and doesn't need to be pumped a million times in an afternoon of shooting.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by Scott F

This. The Benjamin and Crosman break barrels with the nitro piston are a good value. You get the benefit (velocity) of the spring guns, but don't get the "thwoing", and you can also leave them loaded for a few hours (good for hunting), which is a no-no on a spring gun.
Posted By: WGTaxidermist Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have several air rifles at present. Some multi pump pneumatics, some co2 and some break barrel springers. The break barrel springers are my least favorite and not as accurate as my best pneumatic and co2 rifles. At present my favorite plinker is a Sheridan 2260MB .22 caliber co2 rifle. It's accurate enough to hit a ping pong ball every time at 35 yards. Powerful enough to punch holes clear through a soup can at the same distance and doesn't need to be pumped a million times in an afternoon of shooting.
This is why I'm trying to find info. Everything I've read says the springer are the most accurate. How many shots do you get out of a C02 cartridge?
Posted By: EdM Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
In the early '90's I bought two as my boyhood aged Benjamin needed a reseal (since done). One was an RWS .177 M34 Carbine and the other an RWS .22 M48. Both have been stellar over the years killing schitte with the heavier Crosman Premiers at ranges most would question.
About 30 full power shots per cartridge. It's definitely more accurate than my BSA Meteor which is my most accurate springer at present. Personally I find springers to be a big PITA due to hold sensitivity and scope destroying recoil.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Barry has one i've shot, that is 38 caliber. capable of killing hogs or deer. super accurate.
Posted By: johnw Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
How do the CO2 rifles do in cold weather?

For that matter I'm curious about cold weather use of springers, pumpers, and nitro powered guns as well...
Originally Posted by johnw
How do the CO2 rifles do in cold weather?

For that matter I'm curious about cold weather use of springers, pumpers, and nitro powered guns as well...
You get a couple less shots per cartridge and slightly less {like 30-40 fps} velocity in winter from co2. Springers and pumpers are unaffected by temp. Don't know anything about nitro piston guns as I don't have one.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Find an old 10 meter olympic rifle, like a Walther LGR.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
I've got a Silver Streak that I've had for years and like. That and Benjamins are nice.
Posted By: deflave Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Take the money you'd be pissing away on an air rifle, and buy more 22LR ammo.

Travis
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Get a good 22 pellet air rifle and save even more money on the 22 LR ammo that you can't even buy anyway!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by EdM
One was an RWS .177 M34 Carbine and the other an RWS .22 M48. Both have been stellar over the years killing schitte with the heavier Crosman Premiers at ranges most would question.

For the $$, I don't think you can beat a Crossman 2100 Classic 22 cal 10-pump for a kid's plinker and intro small game rifle They're lightweight so kids can carry/shoot 'em with ease and they're surprisingly accurate and powerful.

For pure performance, I'll second RWS. They're accurate and deadly and a great alternative to a rimfire IME. The RWS Model 54 22 cal I owned for many years was a small game killin' machine!!!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pellet rifle - 11/27/15
My 40 year old Crossman 760 pump is very accurate. My 5 year old Crossman break barrel is a POS.

.22 ammo is back on the shelves and almost affordable.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
I'm a big fan of PCP's...if I could afford one, I'd get a Cricket... http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/KalibrGun.html (scroll down to the crickets)...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
the 25 cal, rockinbbar has is similar to one of those, can't remember the make. he carries a scuba type tank with air to charge them. both are suppressed.
Posted By: goalie Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by Scott F

Refurb Crosman Nitro Titan

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
the 25 cal, rockinbbar has is similar to one of those, can't remember the make. he carries a scuba type tank with air to charge them. both are suppressed.

Correct, Roger.

I use the Marauder .25 in place of a .22lr mostly now.

The .357 Bulldog for bigger game.

For the OP.

A singleshot break barrel that is probably the best is this one.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-trail-np2-hardwood-22

It can be very accurate, but you may need to test a variety of pellets to find one that is more accurate than others.

I mostly shoot a Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber.

It's scary quiet and extremely accurate.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/marauder-rifle-wood-stock

It's more expensive, any operates on a different system than a break barrel, but is worth every penny if someone really wants a powerful, accurate rifle with follow-up shots.

Both these rifles are truly adult airguns and will serve you well.

They both are good to hunt with.

357 Bulldog

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Marauder .25 cal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Ive owned Gamo & Sherdian. The Gamo was a 22cal break barrel the Sheridian was a 20cal (5MM) pump.Both were scoped and both were accurate. I shot a lot squirrels and rabbits with both guns.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Given our strict gun laws, air rifle are very popular over here.

Springers are probably the easiest and least complicated to get started with.

There are generally two types, break barrel and lever operated.
The lever guns are considered a little more accurate, but if you are buying decent quality, and just using it for plinking and maybe a little hunting, there is not really much in it.

There are two main types of power plant, the traditional spring and the newer gas ram.

The spring type are fine and are even better if they are tuned by somebody who knows what they are doing..

Tuning is not just about stuffing a more powerful spring in the cylinder but rather making sure everything works in a balanced and efficient manner. If the tune is done correctly, you sometimes you end up needing a slightly less powerful spring but still getting more velocity..

The down side of a springer is that they do generally recoil quite badly which will destroy cheap scopes...

To consistently get the best accuracy from them, you must learn to hold them consistently..

Its not difficult just takes a little practice and concentration; in fact they are very good trainers for rimfire and fullbore rifles in that regard.

Next I would say you have pumps..I can't say much about them as they are not that popular over here. From what I've read, good quality ones are plenty accurate and they are pretty much recoil free so are easy on scopes.

CO2 rifles are a mixed bag. Many of the cheaper ones are unregulated, so the power varies lot during the firing cycle and they don't like cold weather as again severe cold causes big changes in the pressure you get from the CO2. The regulated ones are much better, but if spending that much cash, I would tend towards a PCP instead.

PCP's are very much the top end of air rifles..Over here "serious" enthusiasts will spend up to a couple of thousand dollars on a rifle and scope for completion use!

They are superbly accurate and very easy to shoot with no appreciable recoil.

The down side if you need a lot of "stuff" with them ie air tanks, filler hoses, possibly a manual pump ect.

They also seem to be less robust than a springer and the folks I know who have them seem to be always be tinkering with them to keep them in fist rate condition...

A couple of years back I bought an air rifle for similar reasons to those you mentioned, plus also as they can be used in a suburban back garden with out alarming the people next door ect..

After doing a lot of research, I ended up buying a used German Weihrauch HW77K in.22 with a plastic thumbhole stock. I think they are imported by Crossman in the States?

It had been tuned by a reputable airgun smith and it is fantastic.

It can sit in the cupboard until needed and I don't have to worry about air tanks ect and its completely hassle free.

If I used it more, I'd be tempted to gas ram it, but really its fine as it is...

Because of our laws, its restricted to 12ft/lbs, but even so it is more than capable of killing rabbits at 35yards or so.

Its only real down side is that its heavy and it is sized for an adult or teenager rather than a child..

Regards,

Peter
Originally Posted by Pete E
...Because of our laws, its restricted to 12ft/lbs, but even so it is more than capable of killing rabbits at 35yards or so.

That's just insane. Not letting adults have an adult air rifle...

Damn liberal gun grabbers. mad

We all need to fight them on every front. Always.

Once you lose your guns, they aren't going to be coming back.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
...Because of our laws, its restricted to 12ft/lbs, but even so it is more than capable of killing rabbits at 35yards or so.

You can have them, its just that you need a Firearms Certificate same as buying a rimfire or centrefire rifle..

Generally, once you go down that road, most people end up buying a rimfire instead..

To be honest, I have my air rifle because it is low powered and fills a niche for me, but I can see the interest in the high power versions..

You can have them, its just that you need a Firearms Certificate same as buying a rimfire or centrefire rifle..

Generally, once you go down that road, most people end up buying a rimfire instead..

To be honest, I have my air rifle because it is low powered and fills a niche for me, but I can see the interest in the high power versions..

That they regulate airguns at all is the travesty.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
I've found you can get very good accuracy with reasonably priced spring-air type rifles, is you don't shoot them like rifles!

By this, I mean you don't weld it to your shoulder or cheek. You hold it as loosely as possible against your shoulder and cheek, and you place the forearm on your palm like it's resting on a pedestal.

This lets the rifle do its gyrations independent of the one holding the gun. The less YOU influence the recoil of the spring, the greater the accuracy you'll have.

Posted By: MikeJinVT Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Last year we did alot of research into a moderately priced 22 caliber spring powered rifle. We settled for the RWS 34P synthetic stock to shave a bit of weight. It has been a good investment.

http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-panther-3422.html
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Last year i bought a ruger air rifle. Actually made by one of the big makers and branded under the ruger label. Quite attractive. It is a break barrel design. With those little nosler ballistic tip type pellets, believe around .22lr velocities.
I know it wacks pigeons quite effectively.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Back in September I bought my first-ever air rifle; a Benjamin Trail in .22 cal.. Bought it based on my own research and a couple good reports I've heard about them. So far it's quite nice and lots of fun. Haven't chronographed it yet but it seems to hit pretty hard based on how some of those pellets will bury themselves into wood at a little over 20 yards. Plans are for a bit of squirrel hunting in the future and it's easily accurate enough for that. Currently testing several different versions of pellets to decide which are most accurate but at least there's no problem finding .22 cal. pellets as opposed to 22LR ammo.
Posted By: JimH Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Don't waste time and money on springers-I have several.Go ahead and get a Maurader .25-1/2" groups at 50 yrds,cheap to shoot,quiet and not scope or hold sensitive.
Originally Posted by JimH
Don't waste time and money on springers-I have several.Go ahead and get a Maurader .25-1/2" groups at 50 yrds,cheap to shoot,quiet and not scope or hold sensitive.

Yep.

Anything else will probably leave you disappointed.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Pellet rifle - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by JimH

Yep.

Anything else will probably leave you disappointed.

Agreed here...
© 24hourcampfire