Home
Posted By: Spanokopitas Stroke - 11/27/15

You have all heard the word before but before it strikes home it has not much meaning.

Day before yesterday got a call from my niece, "Dad had a stroke, Jane (his wife) found him on the floor when she came in from work (she is a nurse). 911 rush to the emercency room, can't help him, on to a hospital that specializes in stroke care. News is worse he will not survive.

They are going to move him home today. Hospice is going to arrange everything and help to make sure that he is comfortable.

The damage to his brain is so severe that there is no chance for any type of significant recovery, should extraordinary measures be taken, he would still not have any cognitive ability, he would not be aware of people, would not be able to communicate and would not be able to eat on his own. He had made his wishes clear that he would not want to live in this state, therefore Jane will bring him home and make him comfortable. He could live for several weeks or pass away much sooner. He appears to be comfortable for the most part, I think that once
Hospice is involved he will be even more at rest than he is now.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
My sympathy for your family. Stroke is a scary prospect; didn't really know what hospice involved until Dad made that choice. It was perhaps the best alternative and kept him as comfortable as one could hope in his final days. I wish your brother(?) and family the best in what can be a difficult time.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Hospice nurse and morphine, keep him comfortable till it is over.

Pre condolences for the family.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Sorry to hear this, may god be with him.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Sorry to hear about your brother Spano. life is short live it the best way you know how.

My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
I'm sorry to hear about it, too. I lost my brother to a stroke nearly 6 years ago. It hit the family very hard. My condolences.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Spano,

So very sorry to hear the news. Thoughts and prayers to your family.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

You have all heard the word before but before it strikes home it has not much meaning.

Day before yesterday got a call from my niece, "Dad had a stroke, Jane (his wife) found him on the floor when she came in from work (she is a nurse). 911 rush to the emercency room, can't help him, on to a hospital that specializes in stroke care. News is worse he will not survive.

They are going to move him home today. Hospice is going to arrange everything and help to make sure that he is comfortable.

The damage to his brain is so severe that there is no chance for any type of significant recovery, should extraordinary measures be taken, he would still not have any cognitive ability, he would not be aware of people, would not be able to communicate and would not be able to eat on his own. He had made his wishes clear that he would not want to live in this state, therefore Jane will bring him home and make him comfortable. He could live for several weeks or pass away much sooner. He appears to be comfortable for the most part, I think that once
Hospice is involved he will be even more at rest than he is now.

My sincere sympathy, my friend. He made the right decision before all this, and Jane is doing what must be done now.

My mother died Sunday of complications from her stroke. She made the right choice many years ago and had a medical directive.

It's hard to let go, but we must when life has left only a shell.

Again, I am sorry for all concerned.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
I've said this before and sometimes the comment is misconstrued as being mean-spirited, but that's never the intent. Been there with my own dad.

There are worse things than dieing.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Matt,

Sorry to hear, not easy, I know. Lost my mother last year under similar conditions. My condolences to you and your family.

Craig
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Condolences.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Prayers and condolences sent. Seems all you can do is hang in there.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Condolences, yet Blessings he just went, could have spent months in a convalescent home, not really knowing who he was, chitting himself.
Be happy for a life well lived that ended in peace.

I know, dealing with it every day.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
May the Good Lord Bless your Brother and His Family.

Lynn
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by luv2safari

My mother died Sunday of complications from her stroke. She made the right choice many years ago and had a medical directive.

My condolences to you and yours on the loss of your Mother.

May the Good Lord Bless her and keep her in his loving arms.

Lynn
Posted By: savage62 Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
I've had a of stroke myself I am real lucky in the 1% not much wrong with me they say. But I think about it all the time an know I am one lucky cuss .Hang in there be strong for your family
Posted By: BMT Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
May God bless and keep him
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Sorry to hear this, may god be with him.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
Our lives do take sudden and unexpected turns - stern reminders of our frailty - and my heart goes out to your brother, his family and you in this sorrowful time. May God comfort you each and all.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Stroke - 11/27/15
I offer my condolences as well. Prayers for your family.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
My condolences to you and your family. I went through the same thing with my Father in 2013, practically the exact same scenario. It is very difficult because of the suddenness, but in many ways easier because of the suddenness....no nursing homes or extended battles with cancer or other diseases.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
I'm sorry to hear of this, but it sounds like your brother had made his wishes known beforehand.

Things like this strike with no or little warning.

Live each day as if it's your last, and be thankful for the sunrise.

Posted By: T LEE Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
My sympathies Sir, that is how my maternal Grandfather and two of his sisters went.

May the Lord take him gently onto his reward.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
I'm deeply saddened to hear about this, Matt. Condolences
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
I am so sorry for your loss. I went through almost the same situation with my Mom. It certainly is not easy and I hope you can find comfort.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
sure hate to read threads like this. Prayers for your family.
Posted By: Dick_Wright Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Yeah, I found out a couple of months ago that my old friend, Jack Haugh, had suffered two strokes. The first one wasn't too bad, the second one worse.

Jack was one of the more talented custom gun makers that ever lived. He did metal work, stocks, engraved and rust blued. He was one of the few custom makers who really had an eye for line and elegance (aesthetics). His guns are very highly regarded by knowledgable collectors. My own deer rifle was made by Jack about thirty years ago. I had it appraised this summer... It would go for between $8000.00 and $10,000.00 at auction.

I had talked to Jack a week or so before he had the strokes. He seemed fine. He is 84 years old and was still working half days. A short while later, we heard.

He is getting good care but he'll never work again. One side of his body is useless.

What a shame... so much talent there.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Prayers for the family.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Prayers from SE Az.

Greg
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Stroke - 11/28/15

News is worse he will not survive.

As callous as it might sound, Not surviving a stroke may be best for all concerned...My grandmother & one of my aunts died after surviving several strokes each...every one doing a little more damage than the previous one. Seeing a loved one not being able to control their bowels, drooling, being able to speak or move is heartbreaking...more so when they are completely aware of what's happening & tears sometimes roll down their cheeks. As a lot of folks here know, I'm taking care of my younger brother who had a stroke 8-10 years ago...even though he can pretty much take care of most things. He doesn't have much use of his right arm/hand & can't speak very well...throw in the psychological damage done (paranoid schizophrenia) & it's very hard to deal with (for both of us)...he has mentioned more than once that he wishes that he'd passed on. My heartfelt condolences Spanky...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
It can be hard on the family but not a bad way to go. I am sorry for your loss and for all his family.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
You and your family have my sincere condolences.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Prayers headed your way Spano.
Posted By: djs Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Really sorry to learn of this. I hope for the best for you and the family.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Prayers for strength and comfort from above.

geo
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
You and your family have my condolences and my prayers.

Ed
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
I'm so sorry to hear this. Many of the same guys that have expressed concern and sentiments here contact me when I was in a bad way too. Praying for the family and all involved.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
Condolence and prayer for all involved.
Posted By: Deans Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
May God grant you and your family strength and comfort.

Deans
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Stroke - 11/28/15
I hate that word, STROKE,having been there, My heart felt condolences to you and your brother's family.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Stroke - 12/05/15

My brother died peacefully, at home yesterday. RIP, Stone.

Thank you all for your prayers and condolences.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
My condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Stroke - 12/05/15

My brother died peacefully, at home yesterday. RIP, Stone.

Thank you all for your prayers and condolences.

prayers for the rest of the families , grateful that he weht quickly with less suffering .

norm
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
condolences, and prayers for the family

keith
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
Prayers for the best possible outcome
Posted By: utah708 Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
May peace be upon you and your family.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
I am sorry for this loss and sadness for you and your family, and pray that His peace and comfort will abide in your lives today and as you go forward.
Posted By: northcountry Re: Stroke - 12/05/15
Sorry to hear of the situation. Condolences to you and the
family. Cheers NC
© 24hourcampfire