Home
My wife and I purchased some new unfinished furniture. After the stain is done I need to put a matte finish clear on this furniture. I prefer to spray the clear on. I have all the equipment necessary as I have done loads of auto body work. My question is what matte clear do I use with spray equipment?
Just curious, where did you purchase the furniture.
I think that Min-wax makes a satin poly that would work.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Just curious, where did you purchase the furniture.
Place called Vittes. They are in Castle Shannon Pa. About 5-6 miles from downtown Pittsburgh Pa.
If you are setup to spray a lacquer goes on fast and dries quick.
polyurethane will spray if you thin it,but it takes hours to dry.
I would suggest going to Benjamin moore or a similar paint store ,and get some pre catalyzed lacquer. it dries in about an hour or less ,but it not as durable.tell them you want matte finish.
remember not to breath in the product.
Originally Posted by fluffy
I would suggest going to Benjamin moore or a similar paint store ,and get some pre catalyzed lacquer. it dries in about an hour or less ,but it not as durable.tell them you want matte finish.

^ This ^

I would use water based polyurethane. I would use professional grade materials, read and follow the instructions, and practice on scrap first. The first two coats should probably be clear, with a matte last coat or two. I would wet sand the last coats

https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-topcoats-and-sanding-sealers/enduro-var

https://generalfinishes.com/profess...echniques/how-spray-water-based-finishes

Tough, good looking, fast dry, easy cleanup
I would agree with Smokey.
Water based urethane. Dries faster than solvent base, most durable finish, easier clean up.
Depending on how big the piece you are finishing you can get it in spray cans or bulk in qts. or gals.
Get the spray cans with the fan type spray head unless you are spraying with a compressor. HVLP type sprayer works best.
You will need to sand lightly after the first coat to knock down any raised grain.
Regardless of your choice. Affix a label somewhere identifying ones finish. Might make life easier for the next owner down the line.
+2
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by fluffy

^ This ^

After staining I like to use Briwax on some applications. Very forgiving and easy when it comes to touch ups.
Lacquer will work but it won't provide the durability of urethane.
© 24hourcampfire