Home
Posted By: Calhoun Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Nothing much unusual here... except that Homeland Security was the source of the information that the guy had guns. Now.. I'm just at a loss to see how Homeland Security would be involved in something like this rather than the FBI. Maybe because he was a federal employee? Nah.. still seems like it should have been the FBI checking into him if there was a tip from the psychiatrist or hospital that he was an imminent danger to others or himself.

Odd.

The tinfoil under the hat was a nice touch, tho.

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_29229293/firearms-seized-after-homeland-security-alert

Tewksbury police seized firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from an IRS employee's home after Roland C. Moore, who was wearing tinfoil on his head when he was arrested, appeared on Homeland Security's radar due to possible mental-health issues.

In Lowell District Court on Wednesday, Moore, 46, of 8 Tanager Road, Tewksbury, was released on personal recognizance after pleading not guilty to four counts of possession of a firearm without a firearms identification card and failure to surrender firearms.

As part of his release, Judge Thomas Brennan ordered Moore to surrender any firearms or ammunition, not to possess any dangerous weapons and comply with his mental-health treatment.

Tewksbury police allege in court documents that Inspector Edmund Jacobs of Homeland Security contacted Tewksbury police on Wednesday about a follow-up investigation of Moore, an IRS employee who was recently evaluated for mental-health issues, according to court documents.

Moore met recently with IRS officials and a psychiatrist with the Employee Assistant Program to discuss his mental-health issues. During the meeting, Moore admitted to having firearms in his home. He was transported to the hospital for further evaluation.

Homeland Security checked on the status of Moore's firearms license and found that he had at least three firearms registered to him, but his license had been suspended by the Mansfield Police Chief after Moore was deemed to be an "unsuitable person."

The suspension of his license was due to his arrest on Jan. 16, 2009, for an open case of assault in Lowell District Court, according to Tewksbury police. Moore was instructed as part of that case to surrender his firearms license, firearms and ammunition.

As Moore left his home on Wednesday, Tewksbury police approached him about his gun license. Moore, who was wearing a piece of tinfoil on his head under his cap, appeared agitated by police. Moore admitted to having weapons in his house, but said it was his "natural right" to have guns to protect his home. He denied police access to his home unless they had a search warrant.

After obtaining a search warrant at 7 p.m., Tewksbury police searched the home and found a Savage rifle in the bedroom closet. Three handguns -- two loaded Smith and Wesson .44-caliber handguns, a Mitchell .22-caliber handgun -- were recovered along with a large amount of ammunition.

Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Moore is scheduled for a Jan. 29 pretrial conference.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
WTF is a "Firearms Identification Card" sounds like some yankee-democrat scheme..
Posted By: RWE Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15

Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Wow. Gun registration.

That's peculiar

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by jorgeI
WTF is a "Firearms Identification Card" sounds like some yankee-democrat scheme..
Massachusetts.

So.. yeah, you were right.
"Two of the guns recovered were not listed as registered to Moore. A .22-caliber Beretta that was registered to Moore was not recovered. The investigation is ongoing, according to police."

Registered with whom?
While agree that nut cases shouldn't have access to firearms, I think it needs to go through a pretty good due process to get them.

Otherwise, we'll all be on a "list" at some point.

The article is also proof that registration leads to confiscation.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Massachusetts.

Gee, where's Kamo-Gari when you need him to tell us gun ownership is not a problem in Mass?..
If we don't have gun registration, why do I read so many news articles about those horrible unregistered guns? That should apply to ALL of them.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15

Never heard of such a thing.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
While agree that nut cases shouldn't have access to firearms, I think it needs to go through a pretty good due process to get them.

Sounded like he was already under a court order to turn in his firearms after the assault charge.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/tin-man-in-gun-arrest-628934

Apparently Moore met with an employer related psychiatrist. During the course of that meeting, Treasure inspectors were brought in and Moore told them he had guns at home. Treasury agents apparently contacted Homeland Security (still, why DHS and not FBI or MA state cops?) and Homeland Security was able to pull up the Mass. gun registry list and Moore's Mass. firearm permit.

It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me. Though it's also interesting to see that DHS have full access to state firearm databases.
More and more we see federal involvement with no jurisdiction, or made up jurisdiction.
Posted By: RWE Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me.

The guy is a test case domestic terrorist.

He shrink wrapped his gun.

Psychiatrist thought that was weird.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/tin-man-in-gun-arrest-628934

Apparently Moore met with an employer related psychiatrist. During the course of that meeting, Treasure inspectors were brought in and Moore told them he had guns at home. Treasury agents apparently contacted Homeland Security (still, why DHS and not FBI or MA state cops?) and Homeland Security was able to pull up the Mass. gun registry list and Moore's Mass. firearm permit.

It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me. Though it's also interesting to see that DHS have full access to state firearm databases.

I think with the DHS involvement, it may be perceived to fall under the (all encompassing) umbrella of the patriot act. In other words, kiss your constitutional rights goodbye....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
A tin foil umbrella is not to be trifled with. Very effective. I just don't wear mine in the house, that would be stupid.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A tin foil umbrella is not to be trifled with. Very effective. I just don't wear mine in the house, that would be stupid.

Tinfoil hats don't work very well. Now armadillo helmets thats a different story......
Posted By: 700LH Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Please show where the 2nd Amendment says anything a bout nut cases?

If a person is sane enough to be on the street running free, they should have all their rights.
I am afraid Homeland Security is turning into our version of the Gestapo, or Cheka.
Won't be long before we hear "your papers, please"
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by k20350

Tinfoil hats don't work very well. Now armadillo helmets thats a different story......

Precisely!!! They are organic!!!

Keep it green!!!!
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
These Firearm Owners Identification Cards seem to be of 'State' origin not 'Federal' and serving no useful purpose.

> http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wium/files/201401/foid-card.jpg <

CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms.
This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon.

So someone actually wore a tinfoil hat? Didn't he realize he had become the embodiment of a cliche? grin
Massachusetts.

Gee, where's Kamo-Gari when you need him to tell us gun ownership is not a problem in Mass?..

Probably standing in line at city hall to renew his "Firearms Identification Card".
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Otherwise, we'll all be on a "list" at some point.

The article is also proof that registration leads to confiscation.
Exactly right. We lose due process rights, and thats the end, and it appears they've essentially already done away with it.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am afraid Homeland Security is turning into our version of the Gestapo, or Cheka.
Won't be long before we hear "your papers, please"

Exactly, which is why it should never be allowed to begin.
Far to slippery a slope, with no bottom in sight.

Felons in 68, now your partner says you pushed them, no guns for you.
What's next, no fly list, nut cases, and just who decides all this?
Originally Posted by 700LH

Felons in 68, now your partner says you pushed them, no guns for you.
What's next, no fly list, nut cases, and just who decides all this?
Hilary will appoint someone to make those decisions.
Originally Posted by k20350

Ask the folks in Calif. that had the authorities show up at their door and confiscate all their firearms about tinfoil hats.
The Firearms Identification Card is just the tip of the iceberg of Gun Control Laws for us Massholes. You folks don't know how lucky you are and how important it is to keep those "Commonsense Gun Safety Ideas"... DOA!
Homeland Security, in my mind, has always had a focus of protection from foreign threats or internal threats influenced by foreign sources. So if this had been a potential terrorist threat then DHS's involvement would be fully expected.

But this is an American citizen, living in America. If it was a potential mass shooting threat (and nobody knows what he might have told his psychiatrist), the appropriate jurisdiction would be Massachusett's State Police or MAYBE the FBI if the threat was to somebody out of state. I suppose if he said something about shooting down airliners that "maybe" DHS would get involved... but I'd still wonder why it shouldn't be FBI.

If Homeland Security is now taking it upon themselves to investigate/monitor American citizens for potential criminal behavior, it's time to disband that failed experiment.
Homeland Security, in my mind, has always had a focus of protection from foreign threats or internal threats influenced by foreign sources. So if this had been a potential terrorist threat then DHS's involvement would be fully expected.

But this is an American citizen, living in America. If it was a potential mass shooting threat (and nobody knows what he might have told his psychiatrist), the appropriate jurisdiction would be Massachusett's State Police or MAYBE the FBI if the threat was to somebody out of state. I suppose if he said something about shooting down airliners that "maybe" DHS would get involved... but I'd still wonder why it shouldn't be FBI.

If Homeland Security is now taking it upon themselves to investigate/monitor American citizens for potential criminal behavior, it's time to disband that failed experiment.
It was time to disband it the moment it went into operation.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Nut Case has guns seized - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
The Firearms Identification Card is just the tip of the iceberg of Gun Control Laws for us Massholes. You folks don't know how lucky you are and how important it is to keep those "Commonsense Gun Safety Ideas"... DOA!

I think a lot here do know and that's why they fight, there are however a few here that have not clue one, "we" know who they are.
Originally Posted by RWE
It's the involvement of Homeland Security that confuses me.

The guy is a test case domestic terrorist.

He shrink wrapped his gun.

Psychiatrist thought that was weird.

Must be related to TRH.
© 24hourcampfire