Home
What's your choice? I know this has been done before, but...

AC/DC
The Eagles
Allman Brothers

Not sure they're rock and roll but for loud music I like ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard.....Alman Brothers and Stevie Ray ain't bad either....
Uriah Heap
Iron maiden
Led Zep.

Thread. Over.

There are others that were great, but Zep is the pinnacle.
Nobody did what Boston did.

Have to agree with Bristoe on this one,with the Stones in a close second.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Led Zep.

Thread. Over.

AC/DC is the Rockn'Roll Train. They just keep on rollin'. Zep is deceased. RIP.
AC/DC...best pure rock and roll band in the world.

of course you could make an argument otherwise, but you'd be wrong wink
Originally Posted by roof
The Eagles
My wife likes them. lol
Feb. 20 tickets to AC/DC.
It's a toss up between The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Band and Lynard Skynard
Originally Posted by BangPop
Feb. 20 tickets to AC/DC.
Saw them in '82 Reunion Arena, Dallas, Texas.
Zep.
Eagles, Skynyrd, or AC / DC. Be hard for me to pick from those three.
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Iron maiden

What he said...
Black Sabbath.
Led Zeppelin was the best, is the best of all time because they were the most influential.
Rock and roll, punk, pop all modern music changed because of their first three albums.
EVERY electric guitar player since, grew up listening to Jimmy Page, and idolizing him.
If you listen to any Rock music released after 1970, you can hear the Zeppelin influence.
No band had the impact, not the Beatles or Stones, and no one since. Not even close.
Like em or not, Led Zepplin is the greatest Rock band of all time.
BTO...
^ Damn , y'all a buncha OLD basterds ^

Mike
AC/DC & Aerosmith a close second.
Like the best rifle or pistol

Too many good ones to choose one

Hank
Led Zeppelin

CCR

Skynynd
Metallica

AC/DC
Def leppard
Motleycrue
DIO
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?
Now that's a tough one. Eagles, Allman Bros. Lot of great bands, but, I'll take those two.
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?
Good question,I would say Ozzy.
CCR, Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd & A.C.D.C.
Led Zep.

Thread. Over.

This.

Listening to Presence right now.
Have tix for AC/DC in March
Deathtongue
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?

Very good either way.... Have to say... I loved little Ronnie. Saw him up close at the Roseland Theater in Portland Organ. [bleep] rocked that place to the ground.
Marilyn Manson or Slipknot.
Zep
No love for Gunsn'Roses?
Originally Posted by 6mm250
^ Damn , y'all a buncha OLD basterds ^

Mike

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't hold back because you're a young guy Mike - go ahead and say back street boys - a lot of people in your age group love them !

Kidding of coarse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My answer --this is just like asking what's the best rifle ? here at the fire .
Iron Maiden
Hands down Pink Floyd....shut the shiit down. wink
1. The Eagles

2. ZZTop

3. Aerosmith
cool
Zeppelin followed by AC/DC.........Eagles for best American band.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Don't hold back because you're a young guy Mike - go ahead and say back street boys - a lot of people in your age group love them !

Man crush going on? grin

No Floyd? AYFKM??? WOW.
E-Street, but The Archies were pretty cool, Sugar, Sugar.
Led Zep.

Thread. Over.

This!
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
No love for Gunsn'Roses?

None.

Sorry:)

Glad to see uriah heep mentioned.

If you guys really want some good old down to earth history lessons get the movie/documentary "Beware Ginger Baker".

This is how things should be remembered.

Get it.
Watch it.
You'll smile ear to ear, I promise.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Man crush going on? grin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the joke right to the edge --you sat on your butt and kicked it over while laughing -that was mean ! smile
The ramones.
Fabulous thunderbirds.
Kinks.
Clash.

There's just so many good ones.

If this doesn't make the hair stand up your neck, you're probably dead. The best guitar solo by Gilmour EVER! Starting at 4:15.

tough one
For me-
Beatles
Stones
Led Zep

In that order
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?

Uriah Heap!

I saw Ozzy in concert......It was the only concert I have been to that I wanted my money back. Good on an album but not so much in person.

Stones if a long career counts for anything. Lots of good one hit wonders mentioned too. I can dig AC/DC and Guns & Roses, Rush, Aerosmith, U2, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Genesis ....
Coldplay
Jonas brothers
Hansons
Creed
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Deathtongue

How can I argue with pure genius ...

GE
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?

Uriah Heap!

I saw Ozzy in concert......It was the only concert I have been to that I wanted my money back. Good on an album but not so much in person.

I didn't want my money back.
O's voice was roached but I went to see randy rhodes.

OMG
What a performance.

Sure glad I went, too.
He died few days later.

Diminished and augmented chords.
5th 7th 9th and 11th.
Nobody will ever do again what just came so naturally for him.

Jimmy Hendrix would have stood in awe and marvelled right along side everyone else.

Tough choices...AC/DC, Gun N Roses, and Motley Crue. Don't make me pick just one.
Aerosmith best of USA, Stones best UK, Beatles best on Earth.

"Dream On" is the best single of the rock era. STH is close.

Billy Gibbons once said "99 Tears" was his inspiration.

Eagles with Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt honorable mention.
Originally Posted by 79S
Coldplay
Jonas brothers
Hansons
Creed

Don't be surprised if I act like I don't know you the next time I see you....
The campfire is the only place you will ever see The Fabulous Thunderbirds on a best Rock n' Roll band of all time list.
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by 79S
Coldplay
Jonas brothers
Hansons
Creed

Don't be surprised if I act like I don't know you the next time I see you....

Oh come on man...
The Eagles

Who remembers this one.....good driving (fast) song...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xFYKa-QZdeQ[/video]

or this .. ..

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iC6Cgb8nHwk[/video]
Saw them live when I was like 18-or 19 in NYC......ten rows back and I couldn't hear a frickin thing for 3-4 days.....they were awesome though.
Uriah Heap and Stealin'

Marshall Tucker not far behind
The campfire is the only place you will ever see The Fabulous Thunderbirds on a best Rock n' Roll band of all time list.

Never saw them live, did ya.

Oh well.
At least ya heard of them smile

Roy ol boy..... This is more my style cool :

This is a damn good album:

Stones.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Stones.

Not even a question about it .
Right on......forgot about that one..
Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Saw them live when I was like 18-or 19 in NYC......ten rows back and I couldn't hear a frickin thing for 3-4 days.....they were awesome though.

My buds all said I was weird back in those days seeing cheap trick and reo and rush and ronnie james dio and foghat and the nuge. Etc etc etc.

I used ear plugs.
The roll 'm tight and stick 'm in deep foam type.

Guess what.
I'm the only one of us that can hear a deer sneaking through cover coming up behind me.
They all think I bring home meat only because I'm a better shot than they are.

Shhh... don't tell them.
They can't hear you anyway.
smile

Got to throw Van Halen into the mix.
Stones

Aerosmith

Leaf Hound

Mike
I see you all can't tell the fine line between clever and stupid... laugh

There can be only one! grinπŸ‘ΉπŸŽΈπŸ‘πŸ»

[Linked Image]

Metallica and Guns and Roses are both monsters.

Never will be another metal band like Pantera. Saw White Zombie open for them in San Jose and I'll never see another show like that.

Pink Floyd is the only concert I've ever fallen asleep at.
Most of the great ones have been mentioned already and good arguments made for most (besides Beatles--pure pop).

Surprised no one has called out Bob Seger and the SBB. One of my fave 'voices' and a diverse portfolio of which you could listen to on repeat.

Love AC/DC and a strong argument can be made for them being the 'best', but all their songs do sound the same and would probably get old pretty quick on a loop!
I still like my hair bands over the rest tho

Derek and the Dominos did purtty good

Damn near anything Joe Walsh is involved in
It's pretty simple really, Led Zeppelin hands down!!! The most creative song writing & composition, plus the most skilled musicians and artists at their respective craft from top to bottom of the band. Not to mention the influence they had for a band that was together maybe a dozen or so years only. The Who would be my runner-up!
Dio was no slouch that's for sure
The Band ,J.Geiles, Cream are few I liked

this will raise your hair .... ... .. .video is awesome !!!!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ud-at_mpGSU[/video]
Black Sabbath.

Dio or Ozzy?

Very good either way.... Have to say... I loved little Ronnie. Saw him up close at the Roseland Theater in Portland Organ. [bleep] rocked that place to the ground.

There were more Sabbath singers than Ozzy & Ronnie, five that actually recorded. I'm a Sabbath nut, as my avatar proves, and love ALL eras of the band. Tony Martin is my favorite Sabbath singer. He is a world class vocalist like Ozzy could only dream of being and his time with the band is criminally neglected.

Originally Posted by 700LH
Derek and the Dominos did purtty good

Again I say.
Get "Beware Ginger Baker."

Clapton (cream) and sooooooo many others mentioned in this thread appear in this documentary it'll blow your mind.

History lesson.
And damn good fun too!

Another ornery old cuss I enjoy immensely is van morrison.
More talent in his pinky toe than all this head banger chit people tout.

Should break this thread into 4.
Rock and roll.
Jazz with class.
Teeny bopper pop.
Head banger noise.

BTW, I'm primarily a "metal head" and I classify most of my favs as metal or hard rock. If we're talking mainstream "rock", the only non-metal band I'm really fanatical about is Journey, again, like Sabbath, ALL eras, Perry, Augeri, Pineda. Must admit the very early, largely instrumental, jazz/fusion pre-Perry stuff didn't do a lot for me.
The Traveling Wilburys
Ginger baker.
He speaks of john bonham.

Not highly, mind you.

Neil peart speaks his mind.

Many of what you all think is best can't even light a candle, let alone hold it.

Most people don't know talent when it bites them in the ass.

Where's the carlos santana fans?
(maybe I missed mention in previous pages)

Chicago, R E O, Deep Purple, CCR, and the Eagles are okay.

But I love Steppenwolf, and the Doobies.

I still consider Green Eyed Lady one of the best singles ever. Too bad Sugarloaf could never duplicate that performance.
The Allman Brothers were genuine musicians. Lots of the rock bands of the day did some interesting stuff. But Led Zepplin or the Stones wouldn't attempt to play and sing like these guys did.

Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
The Band ,J.Geiles, Cream are few I liked

The band.

Did any you's see the movie "Shooter"?

Maybe you didn't recognize him.
Watch it again then watch all the extra features on the disc.

First, it's the most accurate movie ever made concerning rifles and ballistics and long distance shooting (at least a few of you knuckleheads should enjoy that... seeing as how this is a shooting forum) and second, the appearance and performance of one of the world's greatest drummers ever.

From "the band".
That's him.

Most you wouldn't notice.
Same as it is with good music.
But me, I sat and smiled.

Such wonderful old men.
Please watch what i mention above.
And enjoy.

Gotta disagree, Bristoe.

Zep does all sorts of genres with blues, folk, and rock. Stones can throw down some real good bluegrass.
This is pretty badazz too. Southern Rock has always been it's own thing,..gotta be a musician to play this stuff.

+1 on The Band. RIP Levon, Richard, and Rick. Any band that backs Dylan can't be all bad.

Something everyone could agree on..........

Lots of great bands, but this is Randy Rhoads and Ozzy at their best...

Originally Posted by SCGunNut
BTW, I'm primarily a "metal head" and I classify most of my favs as metal or hard rock. If we're talking mainstream "rock", the only non-metal band I'm really fanatical about is Journey, again, like Sabbath, ALL eras, Perry, Augeri, Pineda. Must admit the very early, largely instrumental, jazz/fusion pre-Perry stuff didn't do a lot for me.

Journey.

Tell me the tie between carlos santana.
Tell how old he was.
ps
Perry sucked.

What a monotonous voice.

Best is a relative term.
I agree with some posted here. and think some are not with listening to.

I mean like dayam, change that station who wants to listen to that crap
Sha-Na-Na.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Chicago, R E O, Deep Purple, CCR, and the Eagles are okay.

But I love Steppenwolf, and the Doobies.

I still consider Green Eyed Lady one of the best singles ever. Too bad Sugarloaf could never duplicate that performance.

Chicago (30 albums:) ) Steppenwolf. Doobies.
Yep.
Good stuff.

Did ya get in on any ritchie blackmoore's solo stuff outside of the Purple?

Best Rock and Roll"? - well, what is that? The sheer diversity of music produced by the groups named in this thread makes it a very broad category - in my mind too broad to name any "best". But, it's fun to make the claims.

Some really good bands are named above and they made a ton of interesting music. Over the past 60 or so years, I've "covered" a lot if not most of their music and, believe me, it's some diverse stuff.

Someone observed in the thread that we must be a bunch of old guys - and in some cases he's correct. So, why not reach back to some of the R&R roots and claim the best from among Bill Haley/Comets, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, The Ventures, etc? Any of you remember their music?
Zeppelin by far! Rush is much better than some of the bands mentioned, but in the end it's personal preference.

Originally Posted by fishnpbr
Zeppelin by far! Rush is much better than some of the bands mentioned, but in the end it's personal preference.

Does Rush still have that chick singer?
Rock or pop not sure, but this girl just gotta be getting a vote or two some where in the mix..

Stones are always mentioned, nothing like petrified wood! What a joke. You should go and see Grand Funk live sometime, all the rest of these jokers would run and hide.

Don Brewer can still kick any of those poser's assess...

Originally Posted by CCCC
So, why not reach back to some of the R&R roots and claim the best from among Bill Haley/Comets, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, The Ventures, etc? Any of you remember their music?

Yes C4.
I've also still got mom and dad's collection of everly brothers and beatles and couple more shelves full in the library next to grandma's lawerence Welk and big band stuff dating bact to the 30's.

smile

Bunch of john cash stuff, too.

My dear God.
It's all so good.
How the hell do ya pick "best"?

In short yes. I remember.

What ?

Time stood still.
Then she was gone.

Least as far as I know.
I didn't follow from there.

Rush is still my favorite.
And carress of steel and farewell to kings are still the best.

Rush and The Who.

To this day when I listed to The Who I want to give the finger to the establishment. Except now I'm old and part of the establishment.
They were classic !!!!
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Time stood still.
Then she was gone.

Least as far as I know.
I didn't follow from there.

Rush is still my favorite.
And carress of steel and farewell to kings are still the best.

Rush is timeless ..
Impossible pick for me. Its like asking who the hottest woman ever is. We talking redheads,blondes, brunettes....very time you see one you think is tops,another walks by that makes you question your choice!

Southern rock is pretty much its own genre, I mean how do you compare Allman brothers to Iron Maiden? I love them both,both had excellent musicians and great tunes but they really don't belong in the same category. Pink Floyd is one of my favorites,maybe my #1 pick, until I listen to some Dio/Rainbow, then I'm not sure..I can't choose, just too many good ones. Some good taste here though, and a few I hope were jokes!
...well you are a Canadian.....soooooo..... grin
awwwwwww,...fuggin' old rock & roll any damn way.

While everybody was bein' distracted by alla that no talent hype some refugees from the world of Bluegrass were out there payin dues and perfecting stuff like this.

Or maybe a Bluegrass band is hangin' out and somebody laughs,.. says,.. "Hey!,...do some Metallica!!"

The band shruggs their shoulders,...says "okay",..then turns loose with this.

Time stands still.

I just qued it up, i was wrong.
That chick did vocals on the first song, too.

You can hear her giggling in the background.

Then Mr Lee sings his heart out while plucking the tune out of his 63 rick and pounding the keyboards.
As usual.
Then there might be some socially inept, nerdy guy up in Canada,...sits home by himself a lot with his acoustic guitar. He's too introverted to go out and find some partners to play music with so he writes his own songs and plays them by himself,...lead, rhythm,, and bass.

Is that John Barsnes? Wouldn't have guessed he'd have a falsetto.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Or maybe a Bluegrass band is hangin' out and somebody laughs,.. says,.. "Hey!,...do some Metallica!!"

Iron Horse is badass. Put some on for one of the young kids at work a couple of weeks ago. He was blown away.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WdAyO1_0noM[/video]
Speaking of canada and power trio...

Triumph.

And speaking of things south and kinda cool and clever...

Including banjo...

Simple kid with a li'l king cong.

If ya don't appreciate that there's something wrong with ya.
I like that kid.

Rush would be number 2 of all time for me. For number one I'm still going with Queensryche, at least everything up through Promised Land. For those of you laughing at the thought, Alex Lifeson was asked by a car audio mag what cd's they would likely find in his CD changer. He said Queensryche.

Bb
You'd almost have to see him say it to be sure, Lifeson is a joker you know. grin
Wham
Not sure about the best band but my vote for the greatest Rock-n-Roll song of all time:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03HN2wAQH5w
Simple music well done by Bob Marley

Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.

Won't you help to sing
Another song of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfill the book.

Won't you help to sing
Another song of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Originally Posted by mathman
You'd almost have to see him say it to be sure, Lifeson is a joker you know. grin

Yeah.
Even when not joking, though.
smile

He's a tommy bolin fan, too.
Who isn't?

Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler is the best.
awwwwwww,...fuggin' old rock & roll any damn way.

While everybody was bein' distracted by alla that no talent hype some refugees from the world of Bluegrass were out there payin dues and perfecting stuff like this.

Skaggs is good but Vince Gill is better. I don't recollect seeing Skaggs jam with Clapton as Gill has.
Simple music well done by Bob Marley

Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.

Won't you help to sing
Another song of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfill the book.

Won't you help to sing
Another song of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.

I think I've got that album around here somewhere too.

Like so much else out there, then and now, it's supposed to make ya happy...
But it don't.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to afterall...

Originally Posted by Anaconda
Led Zeppelin was the best, is the best of all time because they were the most influential.
Rock and roll, punk, pop all modern music changed because of their first three albums.
EVERY electric guitar player since, grew up listening to Jimmy Page, and idolizing him.

If you listen to any Rock music released after 1970, you can hear the Zeppelin influence.
No band had the impact, not the Beatles or Stones, and no one since. Not even close.
Like em or not, Led Zepplin is the greatest Rock band of all time.

Yes, but who made it possible for them (Zep) to "come out" from the crowd?

My vote for "Best Rock and Roll Band of all time is:

Not just Jimi, but the "Experience". Without their opening of the musical doors to the future, Zep and others might not have ever reached the status they have.

Geno

Like so much else out there, then and now, it's supposed to make ya happy...
But it don't.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to afterall...

Or maybe it wasn't supposed to have any relevance to white people,...but soon it will?
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Stones are always mentioned, nothing like petrified wood! What a joke. You should go and see Grand Funk live sometime, all the rest of these jokers would run and hide.

Don Brewer can still kick any of those poser's assess...

Grand Funk? I think I remember some old dudes talking about them back when I was in Junior High, they had some top ten hit or something. lol
Tina before the Who
I remember conversation with #2 son, Moose, on finding out he was hooked on Led Zep at the ripe old age of 9. I'd caught him listening to Kashmir.

"You have to realize," I said, "That if I was listening to music as old as that when I was your age, it would have been something along the line of The Maple Leaf Rag. "

I have had similar conversations with #3 son, Angus. He listens to very few things that are post-2000. Since we are living now in my folks' old house, he has inherited my old room that I used for a recording studio, and just as the sins of the father are visited . . . etc. I get to hear everything he plays. What's coming up through the floor? The same stuff coming up from the floor in 1977:

Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Jimmi Hendrix, Jethro Tull.

. . . and a lot if it is him playing it himself. Angus now plays the guitar mostly, but you'll still hear the bagpipes, the fiddle, or the banjo coming up.

If I had to pick one, it would be Pink Floyd. Angus was attending the family reunion over the summer. The Ball Family is kind of like the Carter Family that never hit critical mass. The original Ball brothers are now mostly passed on, and their sons are my age and older. However, they are still playing out and recording, and Angus seems to have the gene. So Angus is called up to play, and they ask him to name the tune.

"Wish You Were Here."

The "BEST" rock and roll band? We'll see. Honorable Granddaughter #1, The Mooselette is turning 4 in a month. We'll see what she puts on her phone.

Originally Posted by shaman
I remember conversation with #2 son, Moose, on finding out he was hooked on Led Zep at the ripe old age of 9. I'd caught him listening to Kashmir.

"You have to realize," I said, "That if I was listening to music as old as that when I was your age, it would have been something along the line of The Maple Leaf Rag. "

I have had similar conversations with #3 son, Angus. He listens to very few things that are post-2000. Since we are living now in my folks' old house, he has inherited my old room that I used for a recording studio, and just as the sins of the father are visited . . . etc. I get to hear everything he plays. What's coming up through the floor? The same stuff coming up from the floor in 1977:

Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Jimmi Hendrix, Jethro Tull.

. . . and a lot if it is him playing it himself. Angus now plays the guitar mostly, but you'll still hear the bagpipes, the fiddle, or the banjo coming up.

If I had to pick one, it would be Pink Floyd. Angus was attending the family reunion over the summer. The Ball Family is kind of like the Carter Family that never hit critical mass. The original Ball brothers are now mostly passed on, and their sons are my age and older. However, they are still playing out and recording, and Angus seems to have the gene. So Angus is called up to play, and they ask him to name the tune.

"Wish You Were Here."

The "BEST" rock and roll band? We'll see. Honorable Granddaughter #1, The Mooselette is turning 4 in a month. We'll see what she puts on her phone.

What?
There are so many great rock bands, but to my ears, none are better than Pink Floyd, the only band invited to a Russian space launch.
I can only imagine listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 1 through 9) or Echoes while orbiting The Blue Planet!

Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Journey.

Tell me the tie between carlos santana.
Tell how old he was.

Neal Schon (who joined at 15) and Gregg Rollie left Santana to form their own band, originally called the Golden Gate Rhythm Section, which morphed into Journey.
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
There are so many great rock bands, but to my ears, none are better than Pink Floyd, the only band invited to a Russian space launch.
I can only imagine listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 1 through 9) or Echoes while orbiting The Blue Planet!

Personally, I've never dropped acid, but to each their own.
Led Zep
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Eagles, Skynyrd, or AC / DC. Be hard for me to pick from those three.

I agree here.

And while I agree on Zeps influence, I can't stand much of their music.
Rock or pop not sure, but this girl just gotta be getting a vote or two some where in the mix..

I'd eat a mile of her sheit just to see where it came from.
Take all the best rock and roll bands from that era and blend them all into one big cacophony of sound and you'll have the greatest R&R band ever. The whole "wall of sound" that was the background to our lives back then will never be duplicated, I believe. How fortunate we were to have come of age then.

On the other hand, put a gun to my head and I still couldn't choose between the Stones and Led Zep.

If you had asked which was the best band of all time, to include all genres, I would have to say The Beatles. But they were more of a Pop (popular) band than a pure Rock and Roll band.

Note all those characters who formed the great bands of the era borrowed heavily from American blues artists and early R&R pioneers, so shouldn't they rightly be given top billing? Dunno.
interestingly there is not a single beatles song that doesn't make me queasy...
Originally Posted by okok
Hands down Pink Floyd....shut the shiit down. wink

My day has just been ruined.

I agree completely with OKOK. (But only on this one subject, of course)

Led Zep..Best drummer, best guitarist, vocals. None better. If John had lived, God only knows how many more legends would have been made.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Uriah Heap

Who is this wise man amongst us? Uriah Heap is one of the most under appreciated bands of all time.
Heap of what?

You're going to hell for that!!!
The Who
My vote goes to Rush. Only the Beatles had more consecutive gold records than Rush.

What I love about Rush is the fact that they never sold out, they always made their kind of music, not what some A&R guy wanted them to make.

But I could support anyone who voted for Led Zeppelin.

WTF...

No one has mentioned Wyld Stallyns?!

I mean afterall, in the future humanity exists as a Utopian society due to the inspiration of the music and wisdom of the Two Great Ones: Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan. laugh

If I had a raw nerve, Rush would find a way to grate on it. The Stones? Yeah, probly, by now.

Who? Who Cares more like it. Jimmy? Too acidic for my garden. When was the last time anyone ever spoke the words, "Uriah Heap"? Do we even know how to pronounce it properly in the King's English?

Man, drugs affect the thinker, for sure.
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Skaggs is good but Vince Gill is better. I don't recollect seeing Skaggs jam with Clapton as Gill has.

Vince Gill is good,...but he's not in the same class as Ricky Skaggs. Ricky Skaggs was a child prodigy.

The mandolin is his instrument of choice, (very tough instrument to master) but he's equally adept at many other stringed instruments. I'm sure he could teach Clapton some licks.

He goes from Mandolin to Guitar in this early version of Highway 40 Blues.

Here's an early performance with Flatt & Scruggs when he was 7 years old.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'd eat a mile of her sheit just to see where it came from.

I hear she'll give you a Happy Ending

Originally Posted by pixarezzo

Vince Gill is good,...but he's not in the same class as Ricky Skaggs. Ricky Skaggs was a child prodigy.

The mandolin is his instrument of choice, (very tough instrument to master) but he's equally adept at many other stringed instruments. I'm sure he could teach Clapton some licks.

He goes from Mandolin to Guitar in this early version of Highway 40 Blues.

Here's an early performance with Flatt & Scruggs when he was 7 years old.

I agree with Skaggs by far.. But what folks fail to see in the arguments... is age of posters, what they grew up with etc.... and we should all enjoy our music without having to rag on others in reality.
All this talk, blah, blah, blah.

The only discussion is Beatles, Stones, or Zeppelin. Those three personified sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. None of the others would have materialized if not for these three.

You can argue that if not for the Beatles, the Stones would have never got a contract, and neither would have Zep.

As Roger Daltry sang "Long Live Rock! Be it dead or alive."

Original Skynyrd, Allman Bros when Sky Dog was alive,Uriah Heap,Zeppelin.

Steve
Black Sabbath.

Agree if we were talking about metal.

Rock and roll I'd say AC DC or Zeppelin, though I am a huge fan of EARLY Kiss. The stuff they wrote in the late 80s and early 90s sucks though.
Although Sabbath is closer to rock and roll than what a bunch of these guys are calling rock and roll. Metallica, slipnot, really? I'm gonna start a best metal thread so you poor bastards can post appropriately. Grin.
To ask which rock n' roll band is the best of all time is akin to asking who is the smartest kid in the dumb row. However, my answer to the question is: George Thorogood and the Destroyers.
Warning. NSFW

Originally Posted by Heym06
It's a toss up between The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Band and Lynard Skynard

Levon Helm & The Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Allman Brothers
Molly Hatchet
Originally Posted by kecatt
Warning. NSFW

That was great.
The Who was dang good. But the best pure singer I ever heard Was Freddy Mercury. Backed up by the band called Queen.....Go figure.

Queen...#1
AC/DC...#2 but not by much
Then the Who at #3 Just amazing.
The Eagles

+1
Any Canuck band.
Originally Posted by Partsman
Any Canuck band.
lol Good one.
The Ventures.
Man, I don't know. Gunsn'Roses is pretty damned good. Welcome to the Jungle alone...
I had the tape. I may still have it someplace.
Lots of good bands according to your taste & age.

I think Cream was maybe the most genuinely talented.

As for the best R&R song, my vote goes to the original Layla, hands down.

MM
M C 5
© 24hourcampfire