Home
Posted By: jaytee .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Just wondering if this is a regional thing or just a certain store policy thing or what? Seems Wally world only releases small amounts at a time but other stores seem to have better supplies. I did get lucky yesterday and found 3 100 round boxes of Winny at WW but they limit you to 3 boxes. Talked to a guy Saturday at a gun auction who bought 2 500 round bricks at Academy the other day but I've never found any there. Are the manufactures really that far behind as far as production goes or is there more to the story? Just curious.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
My nephew works for ATK and says that they are pumping out 22 ammo as fast as their able to and are increasing capacity to make more per day. He says the largest percentage of their orders are to Wally World.
Posted By: jaytee Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Just curious if they're running 24-7 or not. Seems to be a great time to be in the ammo producing bidness!!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I haven't seen any 22LR on the shelves at Sportsmans Whs or Wally's in weeks. None at all, even the off brands.

This is from the FAQ at CCI. It doesn't cover 22LR specifically, though.

We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

Q: Does the recent news regarding a major U.S. lead smelter shutting down mean you'll have trouble obtaining lead for manufacturing conventional ammunition?
A: At this time we do not anticipate any additional strain on our ability to obtain lead.

Q: Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?
A: The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Q: Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?
A: No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Q: Is DHS buying more ammunition today than ever before?
A: Department of Homeland Security ammunition purchases have been declining since 2009. It is projected that it will continue on this trend. Read the GAO report.

Q: Why can't you just make more ammunition?
A: Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.
Posted By: KFWA Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
where is it going? There has been a shortage for years now

I mean ...how much hoarding can people do?

some where out there, some guy has the Fort Knox of .22ammo
Posted By: gonesouth Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Bought so much from Academy in the last 2 months here in Texas that we stopped buying.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Imagine what the Chinese army is going to think when they march on America and first discover the govt warehouses full...
There's obviously no doubt that hoarding is going on. I know of an individual who fairly recently bought 25K worth of .22 ammo and is keeping some and selling some. How many more like that are out there? My guess is LOTS!!!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Imagine what the Chinese army is going to think when they march on America and first discover the govt warehouses full...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sawbuck Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
First time in years I've found .22 ammo was a couple months ago, in a small town hardware store. They allowed me to purchase 9 boxes total, 3 different brands for about $65.

I kind of felt lucky to find some, which is ridiculous.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
what brand is 'winny'?

Yeah, there is a nationwide shortage of .22 LR. Has been for about 4 years now. Lots of talk as to why, and that the manufacturers are pumping out billions of rounds. Maybe, but still, there is a nationwide shortage.
Posted By: smarquez Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Been able to buy Federal Auto Match for $20 ea. at Bass Pro. They had 10 cases but limit to 2 per customer due to hoarders trying to buy up their entire deliveries. They also have the Winchester 333 packs. They seem to be getting a steady flow.
I recently bought some of the Federal for $25/325 + shipping from Target Sports USA so the $20 is good.
Often you can get stuff online from Sportsmans Whs that they don't have in the stores. If you order it to be shipped to the store, shipping is free.
Lately, they don't have 22LR online in any brand.
Posted By: Ozarker Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I find some around here but it sure seems expensive. I don't even know what I "should" be paying anymore. I'm looking for 500 rds for $25 bux. Don't know if I'll ever find it again....
Posted By: P_Weed Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
You can blame The Government, The Manufacturers, The Retailers, all want to . . .

I know it sounds crazy, but real the enemy is US!
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
what brand is 'winny'?

Yeah, there is a nationwide shortage of .22 LR. Has been for about 4 years now. Lots of talk as to why, and that the manufacturers are pumping out billions of rounds. Maybe, but still, there is a nationwide shortage.

Winchester. I paid 7.50 per 100 including tax. I know you can find it cheaper, I think the guy I referenced at Academy paid 5 something per 100 and I think he said it was CCI. I know that a lot of folks are paying 10 to 11 dollars per hundred on the local auction sites around here but I aint gonna.
You can blame The Government, The Manufacturers, The Retailers, all you want to . . .
I know it sounds crazy, but real the enemy is us.
Panic buying Hoarders, and it's not just ammo.
________

If you want to order 22 Ammo (Bulk):

>> http://www.cdnnsports.com/ammunition.html# <<
How many shooters have 20k or more rounds stashed away but keep buying more? There's your problem.
Posted By: Huntz Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by P_Weed
You can blame The Government, The Manufacturers, The Retailers, all you want to . . .

Rip off City.I have bought 6 (500 count)Bricks the last few weeks average price $29 .00 plus tax.There seems to be more in stock now ,than for several years.
Posted By: TXRam Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
It's in stock pretty much everywhere around here these days - I've seen CCI minimags and std velocity, WW Super X as well as one or two other types, Federal Automatch, etc. Academy is limiting it to 1000rds, but they have plenty. One gunshop has probably 12-15 different types.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How many shooters have 20k or more rounds stashed away but keep buying more? There's your problem.

So at what point do you figure a fella has enough and is becoming a problem?
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Thats not a deal at all. 10+ cents per round in bulk, no thanks I can buy it for 7.5 local.
Originally Posted by muleshoe

When nobody else can get a box to go rabbit hunting...and that's where we are right now.
I didn't say the CDNN 22 LR ammo was a deal - that wasn't my point.
Originally Posted by muleshoe

When nobody else can get a box to go rabbit hunting...and that's where we are right now.

10K? If it ever does show up here again I'd like to not become a problem. smile

Last I saw local was a couple of bulk Remington boxes of 5 hundred and whatever for $65 each. They got bought, but not by me.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I see it for sale but it doesn't sit. Academy, Dicks both get it in. Dicks here got in tubs of Remington Golden Bullets, 1200 for $75 IIRC, it was gone before I could get there. Everyone says the current Golden Bullet is great, far superior to that thunderbolt crap Remington used to sell
Posted By: Blackheart Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
What ammo shortage ? Dick's and Gander mountain have had a good selection of .22LR on the shelves every time I've been in there for the past 6 months. I've picked up 10,000 rds. of Federal bulk hp's, Remington golden bullet hp's and CCI mini mag's just since October. I think I have 22,000+ stashed away now. A third of that will get burned up this summer so I'll continue to buy more.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What ammo shortage ? Dick's and Gander mountain have had a good selection of .22LR on the shelves every time I've been in there for the past 6 months. I've picked up 10,000 rds. of Federal bulk hp's, Remington golden bullet hp's and CCI mini mag's just since October. I think I have 22,000+ stashed away now. A third of that will get burned up this summer so I'll continue to buy more.

Originally Posted by KFWA

There's always plenty left on the shelves when I leave. I bought two more 525 rd. bulk packs of Federal at Dick's last week. There were stacks of those plus a big stack of 525 rd bulk packs of Golden bullets, a half dozen 1400 rd buckets of golden bullets and a big stack of Winchester M-22 bricks.
Apparently Blackheart, you have hit the 20K level and thus become a problem.

Repent!! grin
If you dont mind me asking Blackheart, how much are you paying per round?
Posted By: Henry McCann Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Twice in 4 years I've seen .22 on the shelves here in Montana. None of the chains or the mom and pop stores have any.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Online is the way to go these days, though Academy here has a pretty good bit on the floor.

Natchez has some. Looks like CCI is out of stock though. Not cheap, but that's the way it is for now.. Glad I went deep on LR a few years ago.

http://www.natchezss.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo.html

22 magnum is pretty thin these days, I guess all production is geared towards the 22LR until production passes demand.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16

I have a bit more than that in the back cabinet, but it was mostly bought back in 2007 and 2008, when the Kenyan was running for President. I just had a feeling it was going to get scarce. Federal 550 packs for about $8.99 a box.
Does not mean I don't buy more when I run across a decent price on a decent product.
Does that make me the evil one, or does that make me just prudent and prescient?
Originally Posted by jaytee
If you dont mind me asking Blackheart, how much are you paying per round?
Mini-Mags have been 8.99 per hundred so about 9 cents per round. The Federal and Remington bulk packs have been 27.95 per 525 rds. so about 5.3 cents per round.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I was talking to the kid at Wally World yesterday about it. He said the ammo comes in on Wednesday, and they vary when they get around to putting it out, either morning or evening.

There's never any on the shelf when I walk by, which is why I asked, but he said they're getting it in on a steady basis. My guess is that the old retirees living around here are scarfing it up quick when it comes in. I live outside Ft. Knox and a lot of retirees live around here.

He said they'd been getting in Winchester 555, 333 and Federal Automatch pretty regularly.

I work nights, so I might ride over there Wednesday morning after work and beat the old retirees to the punch. I need ammo for the new .22 pistols we got for Christmas.
Posted By: RickyD Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Some internet site called Lucky Gunner has 43 boes of Federal Automatch in stock. $65.00/box.
The Dicks here has a sign on the gun counter that says 'no 22LR'.
The Dicks here has a sign on the gun counter that says 'no 22LR'.
I guess Idaho sucks in at least one way compared to NY.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Dicks has a contract w/ Remington, I believe, so they get first wack at it. They seem to have Thunderbolts fairly regular and Golden Bullets on occasion.
Other stores are hit & miss. It seems to be easing up, but not back to normal. OTOH, maybe this is the new "normal".
Lots of folks running around with "defense rifle" semis, and I'm betting that aggravates the situation. It's fun to burn through 50 as fast as you can pull the trigger, by it does nothing to help availability.
.22 magnum is near non-existent. I usually get laughed at for asking.
7mm
Posted By: BarryC Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I haven't seen 1 box of .22s at any Meijer's in the last 4 years. NONE!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Last week I bought a Remington Golden Bullet 525 Value Pack at Walmart for $27.57; I didn't even ask the limit, just bought one. Deliveries rotate between Remington, Federal Auto-Match, and CCI standard velocity. The gals that work there tell me when it's coming in and they don't appear to be buying it all for themselves.

The Academy the next town over seems to have CCI (50 rds) in stock all the time (limit 3), they also have a large pile of Federal Gold Medal in the display case that keeps getting bigger, nobody is touching it because it's something like $20/box
Originally Posted by BarryC
I haven't seen 1 box of .22s at any Meijer's in the last 4 years. NONE!

my guy at Meijer's says he hasn't seen any in months
Posted By: johnw Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16

I do not have nearly that much, but have never felt like I was about to run out of ammo. I found a forgotten 8000 rd stash at the beginning of the current shortage 4-5 years ago.

.22lr was real hard to find for a couple of years, but I can generally find it in either of a couple LGSs now. Doesn't pay to be picky.

Biggest score lately was a bucket of Remington GBHP for $95 at a newly opened cabelas. last summer.

I currently am just keeping up with what I shoot in a year, and have used my CCI mini mags only to hunt with for a while now...
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Bought a 1425 round bucket at WalMart before Christmas for $79.00
Local mom and pop shop has been getting Federal AutoMatch in pretty regular lately which they sell for $24.99 a box of 325.
Bought another 500 round brick of Federal from Academy for $22.00 recently.
Walmart this weekend had a 500 rd brick of CCI for $39.99
which I passed on.

It was pretty scarce for awhile but I'm seeing it more regularly here.
Good thing too.
I got a Ruger 10-22 and a 22-45 for Christmas.
Posted By: Gaviidae_Esq Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
There's been reasonable supplies in Up Nort Minnesota. Mills Fleet in Baxter had 100's of CCI Mini-Mags (HP or Solid) for 7.50, limit 100rds/day, Gander across the road from them had same for 7.99 with no limit other than admonition not to get too greedy. Gander was also selling CCI AR tactical at 300 pk for 23 with the same admonition.

Gander in Bemidji usually has Auto Match 325 pk at 23, Winchester M-22 at 800 pk for 60 and CCI Sleeves at 10. Why the difference? We're suckers in Bemidji I suppose.

Anyway, I have enough to get through the peep shoot and pre-peep practice and will worry more come springtime.

GE
Posted By: savage24 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16

I was a hoarder before hoarding was cool (or uncool, depending on your point of view). I bought 11,000 rounds of Federal from Walmart back in the mid 90's and still have some of it. Before the latest panic I would buy a bulk pack or two at Cabela's whenever I needed to spend enough to use a coupon, or I would by it whenever I found a good price. I had about 16,000 rounds when this latest panic started and I did not buy any for 2 years, waiting for things to get back to normal. Gave up on waiting about 18 months ago and started buying whenever I find it at a reasonable price. Bought a 325 pack of Federal Automatch last week at Bass Pro for $20. I am simply trying to replace what I use or give as gifts at this point. I did my hoarding when it was plentiful; now I'm just trying to break even.
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Twice in 4 years I've seen .22 on the shelves here in Montana. None of the chains or the mom and pop stores have any.

Downtown Sonora had a place that had a handmade cardboard sign reading...

.22 Ammo in STOCK

Get it while it lasts.

I didn't stop because I have about 5-6 hundred rounds...

I'll wait for after the election when the prices get more back to normal...
Posted By: Nebraska Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
With all the production and lack of consumption other than for resale, I see 22lr going for DIRT cheap before too long. No different than ARs, mags, etc. - I just picked up 25 D&H teflon mags with Magpul follower for $7.99/ea from Palmetto. That's as cheap as they've EVER been.....
Posted By: savage24 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

I'll wait for after the election when the prices get more back to normal...

Riiiiggghht.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Ain't much available around here, that's for sure.
Posted By: johnw Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by savage24

I was a hoarder before hoarding was cool (or uncool, depending on your point of view). I bought 11,000 rounds of Federal from Walmart back in the mid 90's and still have some of it. Before the latest panic I would buy a bulk pack or two at Cabela's whenever I needed to spend enough to use a coupon, or I would by it whenever I found a good price. I had about 16,000 rounds when this latest panic started and I did not buy any for 2 years, waiting for things to get back to normal. Gave up on waiting about 18 months ago and started buying whenever I find it at a reasonable price. Bought a 325 pack of Federal Automatch last week at Bass Pro for $20. I am simply trying to replace what I use or give as gifts at this point. I did my hoarding when it was plentiful; now I'm just trying to break even.

Pretty much my story, too. I bought it when it was plentiful and cheap. Bulk pack federal and winchester for $14-16 a box. I bought 1 box a week from Farm and Fleet, and did so for years. Had kids at home so we went thru a fair bit as well, but still it built up.

My favorite LGS of all time (now closed) had guys who hung out there all day long to bullshit and impress each other. Month after month most of them never spent a dime except in the coke machine.
I made it a point to make a purchase every time I walked thru the door. Sometimes loading supplies, but more often just a couple of boxes of mini mags. The owners appreciated it and let me know it.

All of this buying that I did didn't short anyone. Didn't break my bank either.
If you were content to not buy when times were good, why are you so intent on buying when times are lean? Maybe you oughtta take up bowling...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I just bought 6 or 8 bricks from a friend that is dying. Not a good way to get ammo. He was a hoarder.
Posted By: stumpman Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Sportsmens guide has it for 5.69 per box. I get emails from them when it comes in.
Posted By: Dutch Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I'm looking forward to some EPIC estate sales over the next five to ten years.......
I was in a national chain sporting goods store yesterday,they had only a few types of 22 ammo,at $14-16 a box of 100.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Federal auto match at Bass pro today 325 round $18.
100 round Win super X 40 gr 6.99 each Academy. First I have seen on shelves in few weeks. GW
Posted By: Franklyfresh Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I am in SW Ohio and there still seems to be a shortage around these parts. Cant find any at Walmart and they are overpriced at gun stores. Not as bad as 2 years ago but still pretty hard to find
Well I got lucky again today and found some Winny 100 count at Academy for 6.99 limit 5 and Bass Pro had Federal auto match 325 count for 19.99 and CCI 22 mag for 15.29 for a 50 round box.
Posted By: Franklyfresh Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Well I got lucky again today and found some Winny 100 count at Academy for 6.99 limit 5 and Bass Pro had Federal auto match 325 count for 19.99 and CCI 22 mag for 15.29 for a 50 round box.
Nice Score! Too bad I dont have Academy or Bass Pro nearby my place...
Posted By: blanket Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
nothing here in Iowa for years
Posted By: Idared Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
I have stopped looking specifically for it and will only buy the kind I really like now when I happened to see it. I have managed to keep the grand kids supply to the point they can enjoy themselves like I could when I was growing up and they all tell me they are good for awhile. I have also given some to other young shooters who were unable to find some and I probably still have 5 or 6 thousand rounds stashed away. Granted this is not a lot by some standards but it is sufficient for me.

Our local Bi-Mart store has been good for me for the last couple of years as has the Cabelas store about 35 miles away. For awhile you couldn't be very choosy but lately it has gotten better. I haven't checked the Cabelas store recently but for awhile they had raised the limit on what you could buy at one time quite a bit.

Posted By: MissouriEd Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Been in four Gander Mountain stores in three days in three different state and everyone had 22 LR ammo a plenty. No limit either. Cabelas and two LGS have plenty of ammo selections.

There is no 22LR ammo shortage at my house.
lucky you, all the 22 must be going to Missouri and Texas
Posted By: donsm70 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
No shortage here in Pa.

donsm70
Originally Posted by blanket
lucky you, all the 22 must be going to Missouri and Texas

I'm in Alabama.
again nothing here in Iowa, local farm store does have 50 rnd boxes of Thunderbolts for 12.50 a box
You Iowa guys shopping and buying Internet?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
where is it going? There has been a shortage for years now

I mean ...how much hoarding can people do?

some where out there, some guy has the Fort Knox of .22ammo

I know guys that have over 30,000 rounds of 22lr and brag about it.... They are still buying it and having their family members buy it for them as it hits the shelves...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Been in four Gander Mountain stores in three days in three different state and everyone had 22 LR ammo a plenty. No limit either. Cabelas and two LGS have plenty of ammo selections.

There is no 22LR ammo shortage at my house.

Missouri changed their name from the show me state to the show my your ammo state.... whistle
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Just wondering if this is a regional thing or just a certain store policy thing or what? Seems Wally world only releases small amounts at a time but other stores seem to have better supplies. I did get lucky yesterday and found 3 100 round boxes of Winny at WW but they limit you to 3 boxes. Talked to a guy Saturday at a gun auction who bought 2 500 round bricks at Academy the other day but I've never found any there. Are the manufactures really that far behind as far as production goes or is there more to the story? Just curious.

Good morning Rip Van Winkle. You been asleep for 5 years?
Posted By: Nebraska Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by johnw
If you were content to not buy when times were good, why are you so intent on buying when times are lean? Maybe you oughtta take up bowling...

That quote sums this shortage up pefectly!!
Posted By: CaliRN Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Have read online that if you go to Walmart before they open, and wait with the .22 "regulars" you have a chance. Had a day off and tried this and dang, bunch of guys hanging out waiting for the store to open, when the doors open they go to the sporting goods counter where Leroy has a crate of .22, everyone there goes according to where you were in line, and divies the crate up. I got three boxes of 525s. Between these guys going (from the sounds of it) nearly everyday there is no chance for the "normal" shopper to get any .22, at least in this area. I did find 2 bricks of Federal for $30 each recently, in a small gunshop in Azusa.

My question is if these guys are buying for themselves, how much do they need???
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
for years, the talk has been that "the old guys line up at opening time, and buy all the .22 ammo"

Lots of folks keep that thought going. It's always 'a friend says that.........' or 'I read on the internet that.....'

I still don't believe it
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
for years, the talk has been that "the old guys line up at opening time, and buy all the .22 ammo"

Lots of folks keep that thought going. It's always 'a friend says that.........' or 'I read on the internet that.....'

I still don't believe it

I've seen it first hand at Walmart. Not that you read me or that you have much a clue about anything. So carry on in with your head in the sand
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16

I till don't believe it

I don't see anyone standing in line anymore, they used to do that some 3 or 4 years ago. It was impossible to buy any .22lR, it's just extremely difficult now. .22 Magnum is still impossible now. The LGS has .22's most days, at north of 12 to 15 cents a round. I leave it where I found it at that price though.
Posted By: BarryC Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Clerk at Walmart told me that doesn't really happen anymore (at his store). But they do come in and call each other and the ammo is gone by noon - 2:00.
Posted By: KFWA Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
are the ammo suppliers just afraid to invest in a new factory because they keep thinking demand will eventually curtail?

someone mentioned those AR looking .22

I have no idea if these ammo burners are part of the reason but last time I went to the range - which has been awhile, there were 4 guys with these things.

To me its like owning a sports car with a 4 cylinder. Give me a Ruger 10/22 anyday but to each his own. I'm sure those guns have their place.
are the ammo suppliers just afraid to invest in a new factory because they keep thinking demand will eventually curtail?

From what I understand, production has more than doubled. Remington even built an entire new .22 factory.
Posted By: Boise Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Picked up a 525 box of Remmington yesterday at WW for $29.30 out the door. Plan to pass them along to a complaining ftiend at cost. Our WW will only sell one brick at a time.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
The problem is me and all the guys like me. I used to keep a couple of bricks around. I now have about 1800 rounds and will probably buy at least that much more as it becomes available. So, my demand has quadrupled. Am sure most others are the same way. Whatever you used to keep on hand is no longer anywhere near what you want so you buy and buy and buy when you find it. Production may have doubled but demand has gone up by a factor of at least 4 and probably much more. And that does not count the millions of new shooters over the last 7 years that Mr. Obama's war on guns has given us. But it is getting better. Saw a dozen 100 ct Winchester at the local Wally Mart yesterday....at 4 in the evening. Neither myself or the other guy who saw them bought any, as we both had all we wanted of that brand. Gone from buying anything you could find, to looking for specific brands and prices. Another 6 months should have it everywhere you look.
lets hope. I've held back so long I don't even know what good prices are anymore.
Posted By: jaytee Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
I refuse to pay over 7 cents per round myself. I can find it for 5.6 to 6.7 or so around here.
Posted By: joken2 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16

All 6 Walmart Super Stores around my immediate area stay open 24 hours so whatever regular .22 rimfire "gougers" there are must be either getting tipped off as to what time restocking will occur or else buying straight from the stockroom before it ever hits the shelves. Either way it seems a Walmart employee would just about have to be 'assisting' in some way. I've personally seen ammo being restocked at a local Walmart in the early evening a couple of times. Don't know if they were "gougers" or not but there were already several customers clustered around the stock cart watching as each box was opened to see what kinds of ammo was being restocked.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
A local auction company runs online auctions. Currently they have one going listing a box of 525 Rem golden bullets, HP's. There's 2 weeks to go in the auction and the price is already up to $60 plus 13% commission plus 6% sales tax. That puts it at about $72 so far.
22LR AUCTION
Posted By: Calhoun Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by Boise
Picked up a 525 box of Remmington yesterday at WW for $29.30 out the door. Plan to pass them along to a complaining ftiend at cost. Our WW will only sell one brick at a time.

Stopped at a Walmart in Norfolk on the way up to my land Friday morning and they had 5 boxes of Remington at that price, so picked one up. I watched all 5 go, 1 per person max. They had some boxes of 22 shorts that nobody was buying. Other than that, haven't seen anything on shelves recently except some high priced Norma and CCI(?) stuff at Cabela's.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Just out of curiosity, why is there such a high demand for 22LR ammo anyway? I've never owned a 22 so this is a serious question. Is it for kids or women, or just plinking?
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Just out of curiosity, why is there such a high demand for 22LR ammo anyway? I've never owned a 22 so this is a serious question. Is it for kids or women, or just plinking?

Never hunted small game? Never just had fun shooting an inexpensive, no-kick funashelltoshoot pistol? Never taught a new shooter?

Rimfires are a great way to do those things. I grew up squirrel and rabbit hunting with a .22 rifle. From about 13 years on, it was rare as hell to see me withOUT a rifle in my hands, and it was the .22 rimfire.
They are a great way to keep up with your trigger control and sight alignment when shooting pistols, too.
It's very poor practice trying to teach a new shooter how to shoot with Magnum pistols, but a .22 is a piece of cake. It doesn't frighten the newby with recoil and noise, either.
every boy needs a single shot 22 starting out with a limited supply of .22 so he learns to make every shot count

OMG! YOU'RE KIDDING!

TURN IN EVERY CARD YOU HAVE! laugh
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
every boy needs a single shot 22 starting out with a limited supply of .22 so he learns to make every shot count

Okay, that's what I assumed. I did see a Smith and Wesson "M&P" in 22LR that intrigued me. It appeared to have the same size and weight as the normal 9mm model. So I could see using it for trigger and tactical training using cheaper volume ammo.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Basic firearms for average family are 22 cal & 12 ga. Likely first guns for everyone. Millions of them out their. Gw
Posted By: slumlord Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
seen about 600 bricks of Norma Tac on the floor at Smoky Mtn Knifeworks on Monday.

and it shoots way better than that remingturd crap
Posted By: rost495 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by travelingman1
The problem is me and all the guys like me. I used to keep a couple of bricks around. I now have about 1800 rounds and will probably buy at least that much more as it becomes available. So, my demand has quadrupled. Am sure most others are the same way. Whatever you used to keep on hand is no longer anywhere near what you want so you buy and buy and buy when you find it. Production may have doubled but demand has gone up by a factor of at least 4 and probably much more. And that does not count the millions of new shooters over the last 7 years that Mr. Obama's war on guns has given us. But it is getting better. Saw a dozen 100 ct Winchester at the local Wally Mart yesterday....at 4 in the evening. Neither myself or the other guy who saw them bought any, as we both had all we wanted of that brand. Gone from buying anything you could find, to looking for specific brands and prices. Another 6 months should have it everywhere you look.

I quit buying when it got stupid. But at that point I had over 100K rounds... pre planning... I won't buy again until and if it gets right... at that point due to all the panic, I"ll probably think hard about another 100 K rounds ....
Posted By: rost495 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16

Sure helps you become good at your centerfire too... Don't know of any champions out there, that don't crosstrain with rimfire... But not all are champion material or care how well they shoot.
Much less the varmints thing....
Posted By: blanket Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
I have not had the need to for 22 as the only ones I have bought since the age of stupid started was in St. Louis.
Posted By: savage24 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16
I've never owned a 22

tired crazy
I'm giving you the look my co-workers give me when I tell them I don't have cable TV and I don't watch football.
I don't even know how many 22LR firearms I own.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/19/16

That's weird
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/20/16
I have discovered this: if you take a non-gunowner to the range with a nice semi-auto 22, give them a box of 525 rounds, and tell them to have it--I've never not seen them come away with a smile on their face and convinced that guns are just a great way to have fun.

A brick of cheap 22s will fix most of what's wrong with most people. Very cheap therapy.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/20/16
A local auction company runs online auctions. Currently they have one going listing a box of 525 Rem golden bullets, HP's. There's 2 weeks to go in the auction and the price is already up to $60 plus 13% commission plus 6% sales tax. That puts it at about $72 so far.
22LR AUCTION

So what will people pay? I started watching this auction to see what happens. There are 4 lots of 22LR for sale. Here're the current bids with 2 weeks to go on the auction. I've added 13% for the commission that's charged to the buyer.
People will go nuts with auctions sometimes.

525 rounds Rem golden bullets: $67.80 (.13/round)

200 rounds Win Super X $25.42 (.127/round)

100 each Win Super X LR and CCI 22 SHORTS 31.08 (.155/round)

1400 rounds Rem Golden Bullets $192.10 (.137/round)
Posted By: renegade50 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/21/16
gonna go scope out what academy has in for today

yawn..............................
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 01/22/16
Today at Walmart: Federal Game-Shok, 50 round boxes, limit 3; $3.27 each. This is the first time I've only been able to buy 50 round boxes at Walmart in a while.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/10/16
Last week at Walmart: Federal AutoMatch (325-ct), $17.42/box; I got two boxes and left the last box for the next guy.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/10/16
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Last week at Walmart: Federal AutoMatch (325-ct), $17.42/box; I got two boxes and left the last box for the next guy.

Well those are not horrible prices. Glad you found some. Hit or miss where I am, if I am at the store on the right day at the right time I get some. If not, too bad, so sad. Lately, neither the Wal-Mart or the BiMart have had any.

I'll try not to pay $0.10 each for them. That would suck.

Geno
Posted By: gophergunner Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
I'm about to the point I don't have to buy any. Picked up over 800 rounds in the last month. I'll still always check for it, but if there's more pressing needs, I'll leave it for someone else. My only hope is that the scalpers are choking on their hoards of ammo.

Locally, it's been easier to find of late, but one still has to be diligent as there's till outages, but it is starting to show up more often.
Posted By: Seafire Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
The price and lack availability.....

and then what little you get out of it for shooting...

I've totally ignored 22 rimfires for a long time...

seen 22 Mag rimfire here lately... for $25 a box of 50...
can load 223 for less...

but I gather that is some guys scalping that...

picked up two boxes at Sportsman's the other day for $12 per box of 50...
Posted By: willhunt4 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
My gun club got a load in a few weeks back and asked me if I wanted a case. $270.00 for a case of Remington was the best I've seen it around here for a couple of years.
Posted By: rost495 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
I see it online all the time.... I order a bit of suppressor ammo now and then... no big deal.

Walmart here has it on the shelf more often than not, 22 ammo.

I'm still trying to wait out cheap dove loads to bottom so I can go buy 2-3 shopping carts full again...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
Saw some in the LGS this weekend. First I've seen sitting on a shelf actually for sale in a long time.

10 cents/round for cheap stuff.
Posted By: RickyD Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 04/11/16
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Good price. I've paid 25 a box for it recently on line and was happy to so do. I've got all I really need now, but would pick up a few at $17.42 anytime I found it, which is never at our Walmart. Must be a scam going on there.
Posted By: silver78 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
Any update on the 22 rimfire ammo supply situation? Are things better/worse/same compared to when most of the posts were made here early in the year?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
My LGS has had plenty of .22LR on the shelves for the past 4+ months. Can not get all brands and varieties thru their primary distributor. However, they have it in stock for what looks be be a (current) reasonable price.

Visited my son in S.C. over the July 4th holiday. His LGS had multiple cases of Eley good stuff in the middle of the floor behind the counter. Wanted 20 boxes of the Eley Sub-sonic HP's. They had a limit of 5 boxes per customer. So, son bought me 5 additional boxes for a belated birthday present... wink Will have to make this brick last until i can source some more...
Posted By: kwg020 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16

What's this "shop internet" thing you're talking about?

smile

kwg
Posted By: kwg020 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I still don't believe it

I've seen it first hand at Walmart. Not that you read me or that you have much a clue about anything. So carry on in with your head in the sand

It happens at our local Sportsman's Warehouse as well. It doesn't leave much for the rest of us.
kwg
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
Here in Colorado it seems the supplies are better. Last weekend, at Sportsman's Warehouse they had 300, 100, and 50 packs in several different brands. I didn't see anyone looking at the shelf and I didn't buy any.
Posted By: Partsman Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
Saw the win 333 boxes at Wally World up here for about 22 cdn
Posted By: joken2 Re: .22 ammo "shortage"? - 07/28/16
Local Super Walmart has had some CCI Mini-Mags & Stingers a couple of times this past month. Mini-Mags were $7.47 a 100 rd box - Stingers were (IIRC) $6.97 for 50 rd box.
Not a whole lot of stock of either but surprised they had any left at all considering it was late afternoon both times I was there.
Store clerk said they never know what brand, caliber, or how much ammo they'll receive and never get large quantities of .22 lr, if any, in a stock shipment.

Local farm supply chain store had a fairly good amount of Remington Golden Bullets @ $12-$13.00 a 100 rd box in stock last week and a few bulk Rem .22 lr in 1,000 + rd 'buckets', too.
Here lately they've had .22 lr of one brand or another in stock, mostly brands I've never even heard of.
© 24hourcampfire