Home
Its that time of the year! I am now booking our Aoudad hunts for this Fall and Early Next year.
I am based in west Texas and specialize in free range fair chase hunts. We do Guided, Semi Guided, and a few
self guided hunts on select ranches. We operate off of a very strict quota system on each property to keep
success rates high which are well into the 90%+ range on guided and self guided hunts combined.

I have approximately 500,00 acres to hunt on 9+ different ranches all varying in terrain, lodging, accessibility, etc.

The properties you are hunting I have exclusive access to (private land) and do not run back to back hunts. I set them up
for each hunter to have the best opportunity at a mature Ram. Single hunters or groups are welcome and I have lots
of references available on my website along with slideshows and detailed property descriptions to help make
your decision. I keep it updated at least once a week so availability is current.

We do have a high return booking rate so there are limited spots available on each property. When booking you will
deal with me directly so that I can answer any questions you may have in detail.

www.westtexashuntorg.com
Mike 915 328 0645 (Call or Text) - I am usually out hunting so please give me a day or two to respond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice rams!
How do they taste?
Has RickBin approved this message?
Originally Posted by achadwick

Hard to believe someone who has been a member as long as you would post such drivel. You must not actually read any hunting posts. Mike has been around a long time for good reason.
Originally Posted by achadwick

Yes he has and I hope to actually have him out on one of these some day.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
How do they taste?

Those old rams are tough eating but I am getting more and more hunters that like it with plenty of preparing
yep, hope to do it again. Very rugged, but beautiful country.
mulie_mike,

What are typical ranges one might encounter while hunting? How about terrain difficulty?
On our ranches in far West Texas shots average 300 to 400 yards or further if comfortable shooting that far. Our other properties 250 to around 300 is average.

Terrain is rugged and physically challenging in far West Texas and a bit milder with more roads on the other properties but you will still work for it.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Pat we need to get something together Aoudad is high on my list
Originally Posted by mulie_mike
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
How do they taste?

Those old rams are tough eating but I am getting more and more hunters that like it with plenty of preparing

Mike, the ranch I've hunted aoudad and muleys on out west of you has a walk-in cooler they hang their aoudad in. Usual hang time is about 3 weeks, they tell me, because it needs that long for the toughness to come out. The aoudad steaks they cooked for me were delicious, and certainly tender enough. Like most wild game, it appears that the quality of the meat depends in large measure on the care given to the meat prior to final cut, wrap, and freezing.

Would you agree?

PS: this is a beautiful ram. Great mass on that guy! I've been hunting a couple of old boys this size two years now, going back in March for another kick at the cat!

[Linked Image]
Good luck on your hunt. Yes care of the animal is definitely a major part of it. I've tried it many different ways and it's like any other animal where some are very gamey because of the food source or age and some are pretty tasty. Having a walk in cooler to age them would be a major help.
Soaking meat in ice water for a couple days is another approach to de-gaming meat. Typically easier than hanging it. Although there is a processor in Junction who will hang deer; maybe I could talk him into hanging the sheepgoat for me.
I hunted pronghorn near Valentine a few years ago. Saw a lot of big aoudad in the mountains after we filled the pronghorn tags. Wasn't interested, but they are impressive looking.
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I hunted pronghorn near Valentine a few years ago. Saw a lot of big aoudad in the mountains after we filled the pronghorn tags. Wasn't interested, but they are impressive looking.

We hunt just west and south of Valentine. Some big speed goats in that country.
Posted By: CCCC Re: West Texas Free Range Aoudad - 01/23/16
Fellow near here keeps 'em in a fenced field and feeds 'em good stuff - makes for better tasting meat. It's a big field, so the hunt is about the same except no guide needed.
Tag.
For all that have inquired about the Van Horn Ranch hunts we are all booked up for there now.

A few hunts left on the Devils River, Indio, and Terlingua area remain.
Posted By: EdM Re: West Texas Free Range Aoudad - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Pat we need to get something together Aoudad is high on my list

I would be in.
If we can get a group together I can make the hunt longer.

Here is an Idea

Group of 6 Hunters - 2x1 Guided.
4 1/2 Day Hunt with Meals and Lodging
Hunt on the Devils River in September or October during Rut
$3500 Per Hunter
Looks like a handful of hunts open on the Devils River and a few in the Terlingua area. Other hunts are all pending confirmation
I had a corporate group hunt this last fall for whitetails with mulie mike and let me tell ya, he is a first class guy and runs a top notch guide service. The guides he had for us were wonderful people who worked very hard to get us on some great deer (we went 3 for 4). On top of that, Mike drove almost 400 miles ONE WAY just to meet us when we arrived in camp! That's the kind of dedication this guy has to making sure that you feel welcome on his hunts. I have no doubt these ram hunts with Mike and his outfit would be a lot of fun!
Thanks for the kind words!

Also for anyone interested I do have a cancellation for this March 10th through 13th for the 4D North ranch. Please call or email me for more info

[email protected]
Ttt
Bump.

I have Rut hunts (September & October) available for guided hunts on the Devils River.

1 mid March hunt open on the Devils River

and

1 Hunt left for the Terlingua area in either mid to early February of mid to late March 2017 for a self guided or semi guided hunt.
© 24hourcampfire