I'm guessing autobahn and yep they are nuts
Posted By: Ready Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
... and dangerous.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
When the end comes.
It will be quick.

dave
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
I'm assuming that speedo was in KPH, not MPH. If so, 300 KPH is approx 180 MPH.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
yup saw it happen here several years ago, guy flew by on south padre island drive going well over 100mph. misjudged the curve and hit the concrete divider. his bike and body came to an instant stop but his head and helmet keep on going.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
yes
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
I like downshifting two gears at 260 Kph. Must have some pretty tall gears in it.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
300KPH = 180MPH = 264ft/sec. or 88 yd/sec.. Passing on the shoulder doesn't leave much time to react for any debris on the road.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Wow, crazy stuff...
Posted By: 12344mag Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by dave7mm
When the end comes.
It will be quick.

dave

At those speeds it won't even hurt.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
The accepted "human reaction time" for drivers is 1.5 sec.. At 284 ft/sec, you would travel 381 feet before even reacting to a problem. Then factor in how fast your braking and steering can get you out of a jam.
The result will be a "memorial service" in a few days with what is left.

At 55mph you are going 81 ft/sec as a comparison.
At least on a bike they're less apt to take someone else with them although at that speed the projectile weight can put some very impressive dents in a car.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
I generally consider nuts to be a good thing, crazy laced with fun.

What I see there is full on stupidity on display, not nuts.
Posted By: g5m Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Probably wouldn't be any useful organs left to donate.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by dave7mm
When the end comes.
It will be quick.

dave

At those speeds it won't even hurt.

Hope so.
Probably better than drooling all day and a lifetimes worth of diaper changes...

dave
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
All brought to an end....if just a sparrow flies into him...not even counting an owl or hawk!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16

Yep , I have been in a car at 260KM and not a great feeling , nevermind a bike.
Posted By: boliep Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Wow.
Posted By: BGunn Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
My brother missed a corner on his about a month ago...

"to bring you up to date I totaled my bike and in the process broke my right foot, right ankle, right collar bone, right scapula in 7 places, and my neck in 2 places (C-1 & C-2) which all the medical folks are in agreement I’m lucky to be alive" (he's having them fused together, and it's going well).

[Linked Image]

But what's he really worried about, at the age of 61 ??

"And one request please don't tell Mom".....

And last week he was talking about racing his Camero, against my 5.0 Mustang....
Some folks just don't know when to quit diggin' !!
Posted By: boatboy Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
I was crappping in my pants just watching
not for me
Hank
Posted By: cra1948 Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16

Yeah, I thought they were going pretty fast too, until I realized that.
Posted By: pal Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
That key lanyard flopping around is just what I'd want distracting me at speed. crazy
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
All brought to an end....if just a sparrow flies into him...not even counting an owl or hawk!

Bird strike.

Somewhere around here i have pics of a friend hit by a barn swallow doing 60-65 mph.

Almost knocked him off the bike.
How he kept upright I do not know.

The bruise on his chest reminded me of pictures of someone shot with a 38 pistol wearing a bullet proof vest.

He sold his bike.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
years ago there were pictures of a Porsche that hit a bird while going 110mph. Don't remember the type of bird, but it wasn't small. Punched about a one foot hole through the windshield, and basically exploded inside the car. Luckily was between the seats. Blood, meat, and feathers covered the inside of the car. It was truly a god awful mess.
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Bird strike.

Somewhere around here i have pics of a friend hit by a barn swallow doing 60-65 mph.

The bruise on his chest reminded me of pictures of someone shot with a 38 pistol wearing a bullet proof vest.

He sold his bike.

At 60, even a grasshopper between the eyes will leave a pretty good welt. My worst, though, was a wasp that got inside my helmet at about 60. I was screaming obscenities, steering with my knee, and trying to rip the helmet off. It stung me 3 times under the leg of my glasses before I got him handled. If I'd been allergic, it would have been all over.
Posted By: 700LH Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Be lots of fun until some one was stopped on the shoulder, like they were at the end of the video, when you were using it at 200MPH.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Bird strike.

He sold his bike.

At 60, even a grasshopper between the eyes will leave a pretty good welt. My worst, though, was a wasp that got inside my helmet at about 60. I was screaming obscenities, steering with my knee, and trying to rip the helmet off. It stung me 3 times under the leg of my glasses before I got him handled. If I'd been allergic, it would have been all over.

Caught one of those huge, southeast asian dragonflies right on the Adam's apple at high speed once in the Philippines...almost put me down

Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
It's called "Low Flying"!
George
Posted By: Seafire Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
there was one floating around on you tube a number of years ago, a friend up in Quebec sent to me.... a passenger was filming their ride in a car, and caught were a Semi Was merging over to the right lane and some on a crotch rocket was flying up and passing traffic in the left lane ( which remember is the right lane over there, as they drive on the opposite side of the road)...

the camera caught the motorcycle slamming on the breaks as the truck cut in front of him as he was flying up, and the back two sets of wheels from the trailer ran over this guy...

it even had live footage of the remains of this guy's body and organs splattered all over the trailer and its rear tires....

wasn't a pretty sight.... but very colorful....

When I ride a motorcycle, I'm a "Driving Ms Daisy" kind of rider...figure I'm invisible to anything with more than two wheels...
gostrider

dave
Posted By: local_dirt Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Amen, brother. Unless I'm out on some rural route or 27 or something similar.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
If you hit a large object at 60 mph it kills you just as dead as it would at 160. When you are riding at speed you better be looking way ahead, and the key fob won't be bothering you. And actually right in behind the fairing the air movement is really not that bad. Of course you can feel the turbulence against the bike though.
Posted By: sako4me Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
The bike with the camera was a BMW S1000RR. 199hp stock with paddle shifters like a formula one car. Weighs about 390lbs stock. Quite a thrill to ride to say the least.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: these guys are nuts - 01/30/16
Used to work with a guy who hit a pheasant on his Harley. Took a rooster in the chest at about 60. Pulled his hands off the bars and went ass over tea kettle backwards. He stopped rolling to see his bike ghost ride about a quarter mile up the road into a barbed wire fence and self destruct.

He had some pretty neat scars.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What I see there is full on stupidity on display, not nuts.

Yep. Run the odds long enough and you're gonna get a hit, and those odds on display on that video ain't very long.

Back in the days my '88 Ninja (on which I rode 40,000 miles before it ate the cams for a second time, Kawi top ends were like that back then) would only do 140 maybe 145. Considered pretty quick at the time.

Screaming past cars like that is just rude, shows a lack of class and consideration, I would only floor it on empty stretches of highway. But still, 140 looks about like that video, and all you hear is the roar of the wind. Get back down to a mere 80 or so and you feel like you could get off and walk.

Craziest thing I personally ever did was 100 on a KLR650 dual sport (long downslope) two-up with my wife on the back eek

Birdwatcher
Posted By: doubletap Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
My brother was on a cross country trip on his Harley. A deer jumped out in front of him while he was going 70 mph. The deer died instantly.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
At 60, even a grasshopper between the eyes will leave a pretty good welt.

One time I was on a cruiser-style bike (1,000cc Virago) doing the usual 75-80 highway speed. I didn't see it but a big grasshopper must have come in just over the top of the low windshield and then under my popped-open helmet visor.

All I saw was a momentary but clear image of the yellow-underside of a grasshopper at close range via my left eye, just enough time to start the blink reflex and then BLAM! Sounded like a gunshot inside my head.

I didn't go down but weaved all over two lanes for a few seconds. In traffic it woulda been bad. Big welt on my eyelid was all I suffered.

Birdwatcher

Posted By: Ringman Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
bigwhoop,

The accepted "human reaction time" for drivers is 1.5 sec.. At 284 ft/sec, you would travel 381 feet before even reacting to a problem. Then factor in how fast your braking and steering can get you out of a jam.
The result will be a "memorial service" in a few days with what is left.

At 55mph you are going 81 ft/sec as a comparison.

The numbers posted might be normal for the vehicles they were passing, but not realistic for these guys. Take a look at professional athlete's and rider's and driver's reaction times. They work in .25 seconds. When I was grinding and dropped a small knife I would get my foot under it so the pint wouldn't be damaged. A coworker told me I was reacting in about .4 seconds. I saw one MMA guy timed from the time a light flashed till he kicked the dummy at .183 seconds. But the best I saw was a fast draw guy. The light flashed and the shot from his revolver turned off the clock at .06 seconds. Those guys senses would be on overdrive alert. But even a quarter second at 180 miles per hour is almost 70 feet!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
Took a June bug in the left eye/nose bridge once at night. Good thing the road was empty, like you, I was all over the road till I got it stopped. June bug juice stings like hell! Left me with a slightly black eye for couple of days.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: these guys are nuts - 01/31/16
No doubt crazy also a rush. In my younger days I was a nut job and did silly stuff like that. My ride was a 2004 Yamaha r1. Bike had 164 rear hp on a Dyno. Had a ton of money in the bike but she would run. Make no mistake there is a time and place to act stupid, but not when other vehicles are around. Never rode after dark either, to dang many critters
out there.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: these guys are nuts - 02/01/16
Originally Posted by doubletap
My brother was on a cross country trip on his Harley. A deer jumped out in front of him while he was going 70 mph. The deer died instantly.

One of my sons was on the back of a buddy's Harley when they hit a deer at about 100...the deer ended up in two pieces, the guy in front was knocked unconscious and my son was able to grab the controls and bring the bike to an upright stop. That, by the way, is the son who should have been dead several times over...a lot of titanium and stainless steel where bone should be.... he has crashed cars, bikes, snowmobiles....you name it.
Posted By: Ringman Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
cra1948,

Finally got back to this thread. I am really glad you still have your son. As silly as it sounds, when my sixteen year old daughter was in a car wreck and survived I cried like a woman at a wedding. She is now a grandmother.
Posted By: k20350 Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
This is how that ends eventually......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rem141r Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
one night south of bossier city la, i was down behind my fairing doing about a buck on my cx500. high beams picked something way up ahead and i let off and hit the binders quick. a big old gator crossing the road, the tail was on one white line and the snout was damn close to the center line. i buzzed by the tail about 3 feet away at about 50. being a freshly transplanted northern boy, that skeered the living fugg out of me.
Posted By: tominboise Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
If you want to see guys who are absolutely nuts and balls out, google the Isle of Mann TT and some of the videos. Speeds like what were posted in the video above, but running through a variety of city streets and country roads.....
Posted By: djs Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
I saw a speed reading of 299 (it must be kilometers), so the mph is 185!!
Posted By: djs Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
Originally Posted by k20350
This is how that ends eventually......

[Linked Image]

Well, at least he had his helmet on for safety!
Posted By: KuiLei Re: these guys are nuts - 02/05/16
Originally Posted by djs
I saw a speed reading of 299 (it must be kilometers), so the mph is 185!!

If you look at the tach, you can see it moving onward and upward after the speedo hits 299...
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: these guys are nuts - 02/06/16
I used to see a few on the same stretch near the house stunt driving, standing up, weaving in between cars as well as around them. Recently read where one was killed and the other on life support after first one rear ended a vehicle and the other little Johnny Manziel of the road hit a tree in the same episode. The term excessive speed was used. Wonder how many gave a quick shake of the head, said "hmph" and went on their way? Very little sympathy from me except for hoping the guy - or gal - in the vehicle isn't unfairly traumatized.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: these guys are nuts - 02/06/16
About 35 years ago, a guy on a Harley T-boned a late '60's Caprice, on South Eubank in Albuquerque.
Speedo stuck on 107 IIRC -killed himself and two in the car. (Hit hard enough to roll the Chevy)
© 24hourcampfire