Home
Posted By: Aviator Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
My 48 year old younger brother was recently diagnosed with an aggressive type of prostate cancer, Luckily it hadn't spread ! he will undergo a radical prostectomy on this coming Tuesday please remember him in your Prayers...for all you guy's over 40 out there get your prostate checked yearly It could SAVE YOUR LIFE !!

Posted By: bea175 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
I told my Doc if I get Prostate Cancer I will die with it, I will not have prostate surgery. He now just checks my PSA once a year.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
My BIL just had surgery for prostate cancer about a month ago. He's around 60 and the prognosis sounds good.

Hoping the best for your little brother.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers on the way.
Originally Posted by bea175
I told my Doc if I get Prostate Cancer I will die with it, I will not have prostate surgery. He now just checks my PSA once a year.

They can use radiation. That's what my BIL did and it worked out fine.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
The last thing I would do is let them remove my prostate, there are worst things than dying.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Best wishes to your brother.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Best of luck to your brother !

Had mine out in 06' "open field surgery" the best way to ensure it's contained. bea, it's a horrible way to die as it spreads to bones and you fall apart.

Get that PSA checked every year ! Two keys in PSA reading if any change:
1. the change in the number.
2. the velocity of change (how fast it changes over time)

Will offer prayer tomorrow.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
I have been annually tracking PSA for ten years. Dr. says no need for a digital exam with current blood tests.

I am never an easy stick. I still prefer the vampire to the butt rapist.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayer sent. I had my prostate removed in 2010 at Johns Hopkins. Got it before it spread.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Done.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Two of my hunting buddies in their late 50s had theirs removed couple years ago.
Both are good to go today.
I get the finger and PSA test annually.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
My Doc says the bad news is if you are male and you live long enough, you'll probably get prostate cancer. The good news is that for most of us it's slow growing enough that we'll die of something else.

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Good luck to your brother on his surgery, I pray things turn out well.

Get mine checked every year, God only knows why but Mrs. Mag wants me to stick around.
Posted By: lastround Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My Doc says the bad news is if you are male and you live long enough, you'll probably get prostate cancer. The good news is that for most of us it's slow growing enough that we'll die of something else.

My Doctor told me the same thing. I'll be 72 later this month, and he says that my next PSA and finger check will be my last.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Right behind you, last round - no pun intended. I turn 69 in a week or so and have a biannual physical soon after. Doc says I'm healthy enough that he only needs to see me every other year. From my last exam, he said he'd schedule me for another colonoscopy when I'm 70 but because I've been clean until now, that would be my last one of those, too.

I don't mind the finger check, quite honestly. It isn't pleasant but it's no big deal, either. Doc is 20 years younger than I am and he gets upset (in jest) that he has to get up to pee every night but I don't. Says I have the prostate of a 40-yo and he's jealous, lol!
Posted By: Anjin Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Prayer sent. I had my prostate removed in 2010 at Johns Hopkins. Got it before it spread.

Presumably by Dr. Patrick Walsh or one of those taught by him. He is now retired, n
but the last I heard, he was still doing operations.

My doctors in Japan, who were pretty impressive, had attended Walsh surgeries in the JH operating theater.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Originally Posted by lastround

My Doctor told me the same thing. I'll be 72 later this month, and he says that my next PSA and finger check will be my last.

Don't stop the PSA tests. They told my father the same thing stopped checking him. Last year at 92 he got prostate cancer, couldn't urinate, ended up with 9 weeks of radiation (they wouldn't/couldn't operate b/c of his blood thinners, and age).
Got the cancer OK, but still messed him up and left him with a catheter and bag from now on. If they had still been checking his PSA it may have been caught sooner and treated with less damage.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Got the news last week, my brother is in the hospital in Arizona with pancreatic cancer. They are getting ready to fly him and his wife home for treatment in Seattle.

It was really devastating news as we lost our dad to pancreatic cancer in May of 1959 at the age of 56.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
The last thing I would do is let them remove my prostate, there are worst things than dying.

Care to explain the thought process?
Posted By: T LEE Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers added.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Thank's to everyone for your thoughts and prayers !
Posted By: WFR Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers sent.
Dad was diagnosed with an aggressive type of prostate cancer at age 50.
It was really bad and he had to go through a lot to get in into remission the first time.
Second time around it nearly killed him and he had to go through several surgeries to be cancer-free again.
He is now 70 and has been in remission for 12 or 13 years now.
After watching him go through what he has been through I gladly get checked out every year!
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers sent. Dr. Walsh isn't retired, I saw him in June!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
prayers said for your brother, and yes, we sure need to check ourselves on this issue.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers here fellas. I pray someday the Lord will bless us with a cure for this nasty disease.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Mojo sent to your brother. I'm about 10 yrs out and all is well. I had the robot surgery. It wasn't too bad missed12 days work in all. A friend asked me if there was a lot of pain . I told him not so much pain but sore I said remember the first day of football practice when they made you do about 100 sit-ups and how sore you were the next day. That's how it was lasts 2-3 days.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Prayers from here.

I've been looking at rising PSA over the last few years and a couple of biopsies myself so I'm familiar with the anxiety that goes along with diagnosis of PCa.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
praying
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Originally Posted by rost495

Some people would prefer death to loosing their sex life.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/06/16
Get rite, a buddy got it and he's ...good ...it runs thru your money and time , and ya end up older.... Smarter to ...lol
Posted By: Joe_Kidd Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/07/16
Ignoring/refusing the screenings is more than stupid. Cancer is a beast, it takes our loved-ones too early. If not for you, think about the people that love you, are they worth the screenings and surgery if necessary?
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/07/16
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

If I had to choose between living or getting a hard on I will choose life. I get checked every 6 months and had two biopsy because of high PSA numbers. So far no signs of cancer, just an enlarged prostate.
Posted By: victoro Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/07/16

Find another doctor. My doctor told me the same thng last year and also said that Medicare doesn't cover annual PSA tests anymore for men 70 or older. He said Medicare believes that after age 70 (I just turned 73) you'll will die of something else before you die from prostate cancer. I told him that my Grandfather died at age 89 of prostate cancer and was in perfect health other than the prostate cancer that had spread. He said that prostate cancer normally grows very slowly so I shouldn't be concerned about it. When I told him about a friend that had a very low PSA reading at age 65 and an exremely high reading the next year. My friend had prostate cancer bad enough that they removed his entire prostate with radiation. My doctor just said that was very unusual. When I got home I called Medicare and they told that they still pay for an annual PSA test after age 50 and that my doctor must have some kind of liberal agenda. I went back and got a PSA test done.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Just a little update, My brother had his surgery last Tuesday and is doing fine the robotic surgery went very smooth and quick the Dr expects a complete and quick healing process...the pathology results look good and they don't anticipate Radiation treatments....Thank You all again for your Prayers !
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Good news! You probably already know but having a first degree relative puts you at much higher risk too.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Yes, Good news. Speedy healing to your brother.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Good news! You probably already know but having a first degree relative puts you at much higher risk too.

Yes I am aware of this...I have had DRE's done since I was 40 and a PSA done just a few weeks ago all have been normal so far !
Posted By: Seafire Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
I've gone thru it.. had it out ( reluctantly) but didn't want to screw around with it as I know what it will do to a man, having worked with patients in a hospital, both in the service and out...

also had to follow up 4 years later with low dose radiation...

it is not a fun ride... but being dead at a young age sorta sucks also...

anyone whose also had to deal with it, is a brother in my book...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by victoro

Find another doctor. My doctor told me the same thng last year and also said that Medicare doesn't cover annual PSA tests anymore for men 70 or older. He said Medicare believes that after age 70 (I just turned 73) you'll will die of something else before you die from prostate cancer. I told him that my Grandfather died at age 89 of prostate cancer and was in perfect health other than the prostate cancer that had spread. He said that prostate cancer normally grows very slowly so I shouldn't be concerned about it. When I told him about a friend that had a very low PSA reading at age 65 and an exremely high reading the next year. My friend had prostate cancer bad enough that they removed his entire prostate with radiation. My doctor just said that was very unusual. When I got home I called Medicare and they told that they still pay for an annual PSA test after age 50 and that my doctor must have some kind of liberal agenda. I went back and got a PSA test done.

Medicare believes...

Wow...

Now, who do you think "Medicare" actually is..??

Current thinking, as we become part of the "collective", no longer individuals who can make their own decisions, the govt. will decide who lives or dies. Remember "Death Panels"? Not a good sign.

BTW, Dr. Walsh and Johns Hopkins is considered the best in the nation for GU/Prostate issues. I have two friends, one a vascular surgeon, went there from Louisiana for prostate CA surgery by Dr. Walsh.

DF
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16

Since he didn't respond, I will...there's absolutely no way in hell I'll allow anything to be removed if it involves having to deal with a colostomy bag...Maybe if I were younger, but going on 65, I don't think the payoff would be worth the price especially if I had to endure chemo & or radiation. I've watched too many friends & family spend their last few years in absolute misery going through the process...ymmv
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Quality of life IS a big deal, for sure.

But, not doing cancer surg can result in a horrible death.

So, until you've seen the alternative, you can't make a valid case.

DF
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Best wishes for your brother. At 40 I asked my day doc if I needed it and he said no not until 50. Now my 49 year old cousin has been diagnosed. I need a new doc...
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

If I had to choose between living or getting a hard on I will choose life. I get checked every 6 months and had two biopsy because of high PSA numbers. So far no signs of cancer, just an enlarged prostate.

+1 million

Dr is a recent Grad of Wake Forest and tells me that biopsies cause more issues then they help. Only disagreement I have with him is that he relies entirely too much on the PSA test and not examining the prostrate to see how swollen it is. All the other Dr's I have had have done both tests.

Had a friend at work who developed it in his fifties, he was operated via a DaVinci machine and he said there was minimal pain and recovery.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Aviator
Just a little update, My brother had his surgery last Tuesday and is doing fine the robotic surgery went very smooth and quick the Dr expects a complete and quick healing process...the pathology results look good and they don't anticipate Radiation treatments....Thank You all again for your Prayers !

Great News
Posted By: Hotload Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16

My Doctor said the exact same thing. So I get the finger and PSA test annually. Last year it was 0.6 , so far so good. cool ; I pray things go okay for your brother.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Great news and more best wishes for your brother.
Posted By: usull Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Great news and wishing a speedy recovery . I decided on both the PSA and " Golden Digit " Exam whether it's covered or not . The Digit/ Finger Test always makes me jump a little no matter how prepared I am . Last time I told my Urologist : " I would much rather be Fishing " . He replied " So would I " ! Reminds me of the old saying : " If you're not the lead Sled Dog , the scenery never changes " .
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Since he didn't respond, I will...there's absolutely no way in hell I'll allow anything to be removed if it involves having to deal with a colostomy bag...Maybe if I were younger, but going on 65, I don't think the payoff would be worth the price especially if I had to endure chemo & or radiation. I've watched too many friends & family spend their last few years in absolute misery going through the process...ymmv

My grandfather got a bag at 63. Colon cancer. He never let it slow him down one bit. He and grandma drove round trip every year to winter in AZ. He hunted every year too, until his death at 92. 30 years of good livin'. Life is what you make it.

p.s. he made light of the bag...said he never had to crap in the woods like us mortals. Glass was always half full with that guy.
Posted By: Enrique Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/14/16
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I"ll pray for a speedy and healthy recovery since I missed praying for the surgery.

I was bored one night at work and was thinking about cancer and how my mother in law beat breast cancer, then passed away from the meds and after care. Then how my Father in law had prostate cancer. I was remembering seeing on the TV of a place in Baja California that treats cancer and cures it with medicine specific to you and the type and strain of cancer you have. It was pretty cool. Ofcourse the FDA doesn't allow it here in the states.
So I got to googling Cancer Baja Or something of the sort and seen a place that treats prostate cancer and the success rate is very high. I told myself if I ever get that nasty thing, Im looking to Mexico before I give up my boner.
Was thinking about that place when I was reading all the comments.

Kique
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by Aviator

I was in this same exact spot nearly 2 years ago to the date and am doing great. The worst thing about recovery was having to wear a catheter for 10 days. After they took it out things were fantastic. Give him my best and let him know he did the right thing.
BE
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

My grandfather got a bag at 63. Colon cancer. He never let it slow him down one bit. He and grandma drove round trip every year to winter in AZ. He hunted every year too, until his death at 92. 30 years of good livin'. Life is what you make it.

p.s. he made light of the bag...said he never had to crap in the woods like us mortals. Glass was always half full with that guy.

Attitude is so important.

I heard an oncologist once say that he could walk around the unit and pick out the survivors...

Even if you have a condition with only 10% 5 year survival, you have to take the attitude that you're in the 10%, not the 90%.

A positive attitude and faith can make a lot of difference.

DF
Posted By: sse Re: Prostate Cancer ! - 02/15/16
This helps...

Reel Recovery
© 24hourcampfire