Home
NC sheriff puts 'In God We Trust' decals on patrol cars thanks to local church

Published February 12, 2016
FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/1...thanks-to-local-church.html?intcmp=hpbt2

A North Carolina sheriff’s department began placing large “In God We Trust” decals on its patrol cars this month in a project officials are quick to say won't cost taxpayers a dime.

The phrase is being added to marked vehicles used by the Rutherford Sheriff Department and with the Fairview Baptist Church in Golden Valley picking up the $400 tab, it could head off complaints from atheists that the decals amount to illegal government support of religion.

“We’re not doing to this to thumb in the eye anyone. We’re trying to do this for unity’s sake."

- Rev. David Ledford

“We looked at it as an opportunity to show our patriotism,” Sheriff Chris Francis told Fox Carolina. “I want to make sure that my deputy sheriffs know what ‘In God We Trust' means and how blessed we are to be citizens in America, to live in western North Carolina and to be able to support our nation’s motto.”

Wisconsin-based atheist group Freedom From Religion Foundation has clashed with dozens of police departments around the country over similar stickers.

"FFRF reminds the agencies that citizens trust law enforcement officers to attend to their secular duties, not spend taxpayer time placing religious messages on patrol cars to the exclusion of the 23 percent of Americans who are not religious," reads a letter the foundation sent to departments, including Rutherford.

Foundation Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor concludes the letters asking the departments to remove "In God We Trust" from their vehicles to "respect the rights of conscience of all citizens, including those who in good conscience reject belief in a god."

But Rutherford officials believe the church paying for the stickers removes any reasonable objection. The church funding will pay for decals on the department’s fleet of 50 marked vehicles and any additions or replacements.

Francis said he expects the decals to draw positive feedback fron many but acknowledged that not everyone will be happy.

Nevertheless, he said he hopes other sheriffs will follow suit.

“I wish that more localities would show their patriotism, show what they believe in,” he said. “I think our nation would be in a different place if they would.”

Fairview pastor the Rev. David Ledford told FoxNews.com he has been surprised at the reaction, including some criticism on social media.

“We’re not doing to this to thumb in the eye anyone,” the pastor said. “We’re trying to do this for unity’s sake.

“The way we look at it, if somebody is against it, well they carry money in their billfold that says ‘In God We Trust’ on it,'" he said. "Its’ contrary to say we can’t put something like that on government building or a government vehicle.”
Good luck to the good sheriff, but the easily butt hurt will not give up their incorrect interpretation of the 1st Amendment without a fight.

I'm always ready for good 1A fight. grin
You want to talk about twisted panties....just wait until Flint Michigan patrol cars are rollin' around with alla akubar or some other durkastan bullchit.

You'll need pliers to untwist those panties!
I was fully expecting this to be about some hot perp complaining about a thong wedgie caused by the back seat of some new model patrol car.
What happens when BLM wants to buy signs and advertise on city/County vehicles?
Change it to, "In imaginary deities we trust" and I'm all-in.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Jeff Zero rides again.
Put a Tooth Fairy and/FSM reference on there, and I'll pay for the suckers myself! Two per car! Door signs! Magnets! Uniform patches!
Jeff_O,

You're not familiar with our National Matto?
But Jeff ( Feel the Bern) O is not anti-gun anymore guys. whistle He's changed

Ha ha I crack myself up laugh
I love it and I hope the Sheriffs in other N.C. counties follow suit. The message reflects those that live in Rutherford County.
All Missouri Sheriff's recently voted to do the same. My county has recently began adding the motto to their marked units. People here are loving it.
Originally Posted by ribka

Not a "Bern" supporter and I'm at least as pro-gun as anyone on this forum.

I am, however, anti-State-promulgated religion. Particularly in the case of LEO's and the Courts. But you aren't! So you guys should have no problem with my proposal to PLASTER cop cars with all manner of religious hoodoo bullshit, right? Let's get this party STARTED!
For all of you cheering this remember it when they put Allah Akbar on you dollars. Complete separation protects all of us. I personally believe the States should not give out marriage licenses either. Only civil union licenses and if you want to get married then go to a church and do so and it will be recognized by God and your church and keep the State out of religion period.
Dave, that's crazy talk.

The more we mix religion and State, the better.

This would be a better country, if we all were compelled to be Christians by whatever means necessary. I think, some sort of permanent mark on the body should be required to show compliance- say, a tattoo. There should be panels of religious experts that screen everyone for proper levels of "religiousity" before a citizen is allowed to own property, vote, get a mortgage, driver's license, bank account, a freaking Safeway card, etc. Anyone out of compliance- ungodly sons of bitches that they are- should be relegated to a third-world, fringe existence. Or just shot.

In this way we will insure that our citizenry is morally upright and sin-free.
Maybe Jeff_O needs to look at the money in his wallet. wink
Jeff_O,

I am, however, anti-State-promulgated religion. Particularly in the case of LEO's and the Courts. But you aren't! So you guys should have no problem with my proposal to PLASTER cop cars with all manner of religious hoodoo bullshit, right? Let's get this party STARTED!

Still don't get the National Motto do you. Which religion is the motto suggesting?
Jeff_O,

Maybe you should read some of the founder's letters and documents. They were not saying a separation of God out of the government. If the opposite was true you would not have loads of Bible verse carved and painted on the walls in DC. The idea was there would me no national religion.

You lying POS!

Voting for O and pro-gun are not exactly the same! Kagan and Sotomayor, both young enough to haunt the pro-gun world for decades, and you are pro-gun???

Unfugging real! You should go smack your head again!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by byc
[Linked Image]
Lovely. wink
Mr.O first of all I want to say I am not offended by your comments. This is America and your in titled to voice your opinion just as every one else is. Also everyone comes to their conclusion on the subject from a different road and experience.

But I will have to disagree with you when comparing God to the tooth fairy. I know people personally who have been healed from sickness and disease by prayer in the name of Jesus. I personal have had someone prayed for me in the name of Jesus and pain left my body in minutes that had been there for months. I have never been or do I know anyone who has been healed in the name of the tooth fairy. Obviously you haven't had a experience like that.

No judgment from me my man, just sayin, maybe be a little more open minded and entertain the though of just maybe it might be possable that their is a God. One that Loves you. Or you could just tell me GFY. Either way up to you...
Intractable issue. We'll never agree.

But how about this. How about, "In the Rule of Law We Trust" as a bumper sticker on cop cars?
Nope.
Those decals have been on all our SO and City cop cars for at least two years.

But........ we burn an atheist every blue moon so they don't do anything to call attention to themselves.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You lying POS!

Voting for O and pro-gun are not exactly the same! Kagan and Sotomayor, both young enough to haunt the pro-gun world for decades, and you are pro-gun???

Unfugging real! You should go smack your head again!

Can I get an AMEN!
AMEN
Jeff_O,

how about this. How about, "In the Rule of Law We Trust"

You might believe in the rule of law, but I happen to know Loretta Lynch is Attorney General.
I see that happening a lot. I'm a Christian, but the way I look at it this is a form of using Gods name in vain. You only see Sheriff's doing this, not other LE vehicles. They are elected officials and they are using Gods name to help get re-elected. I don't think God approves.

I have no problem with the phrase on US coins. It was put there in 1864 for the right reasons. The phrase wasn't put on paper money until 1957 and was done for political gain then, just as it is being used now. Prior to 1957 our national motto was E Pluribus Unum (which means "out of many, one." and had been since our nation was founded. It was changed in the 1950's in order to get votes.

Used properly the phrase is fine. It is the spirit in which it is used in that determines right and wrong. I question the real purpose behind this now.
Why should I care about a meaningless religious phrase plastered on government property that all citizens, irregardless of their held beliefs, are forced to pay for through taxes?

It's no skin off my nose one way or the other, but when they start putting "Allahu Akbar" stickers on police cruisers, I don't want to hear a peep out of the Christians on the fire. Y'all keep your mouths shut and pay your taxes like good little patriots.
JMR40,

It was changed in the 1950's in order to get votes.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was already president when he wanted that as a motto.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Why should I care about a meaningless religious phrase plastered on government property that all citizens, irregardless of their held beliefs, are forced to pay for through taxes?

It's no skin off my nose one way or the other, but when they start putting "Allahu Akbar" stickers on police cruisers, I don't want to hear a peep out of the Christians on the fire. Y'all keep your mouths shut and pay your taxes like good little patriots.

Or how about "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law", on Police Cruisers?
Originally Posted by JMR40
I see that happening a lot. I'm a Christian, but the way I look at it this is a form of using Gods name in vain. You only see Sheriff's doing this, not other LE vehicles. They are elected officials and they are using Gods name to help get re-elected. I don't think God approves.

I have no problem with the phrase on US coins. It was put there in 1864 for the right reasons. The phrase wasn't put on paper money until 1957 and was done for political gain then, just as it is being used now. Prior to 1957 our national motto was E Pluribus Unum (which means "out of many, one." and had been since our nation was founded. It was changed in the 1950's in order to get votes.

Used properly the phrase is fine. It is the spirit in which it is used in that determines right and wrong. I question the real purpose behind this now.

Maybe Sheriff's do it because as the only constitutionally appointed peace officers in the country they hold the oath of their office in highest regard.

It's not being paid for by taxes,which you would know if you had read the OP.

When there's as many Mosques in this country as there are churches I suspect there will be some "Allah Akbar" stickers and the Muzzies can pay for them. Until then majority rules and all others can STFU.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

When there's as many Mosques in this country as there are churches I suspect there will be some "Allah Akbar" stickers and the Muzzies can pay for them. Until then majority rules and all others can STFU.

NO,

I will not be silenced.
Suspect the Muzzie phrase might be on Sheriff cars in at least one Michigan town any time now...
Until then majority rules and all others can STFU.

What a "christian" looser! You are certainly letting your light shine before men so they can glorify God the Father.

The car and office itself are paid for by tax dollars, not the sticker.

Well then, when you become part of the minority, you will have the perfect opportunity to take your own advice.

The car and office itself are paid for by tax dollars, not the sticker.

Well then, when you become part of the minority, you will have the perfect opportunity to take your own advice.

That seems to be the way it's headed.Until then I'll enjoy the status quo. Trying to please everyone all the time is a major fault in this country. Actually now it's more about pleasing the most obnoxious minority.

There you have it folks. Next the whole Declaration of Independence gets a facelift to make the "pro gun" azzhat happy.

I'm sure the Bill of Rights is safe, since the "pro gun" voter has a problem with all men being created equal now....
When any Christian Churches or Synagogues start purchasing Bumper Stickers for Police Vehicles that say either...

"Fu&K BLM" or " Fu&k Islam", I'll be happy to send a donation to contribute...
Originally Posted by HawkI

There you have it folks. Next the whole Declaration of Independence gets a facelift to make the "pro gun" azzhat happy.

I'm sure the Bill of Rights is safe, since the "pro gun" voter has a problem with all men being created equal now....

I think these idiots think that just saying you are pro-gun makes it so. They consider their actions, votes, and agendas sacrosanct and without consequence. They probably think their own feelings are more important than the results... and are not shocked to see unintended consequences and do not consider it their mistake.

It was wonderful when the master of the "good earlobe weld" scope mounting was gone... he pisses me off just breathing after all the idiocy he posted here over the years.

Frigging tool!
Ironic that he returns during the election cycle. Damn shame he didn't get his bloody head removed in whatever frigging accident he had.

Of course there are still plenty on here that will say 'He's a nice guy, except that he voted for Obama'

To those folks I say BLOW ME
AMEN
I've said a million times, voting isn't a bloodless act.

Of course he believes in the concept that "all men are equal", and leaves out the "created" part. A useless idiot. Granted, he's not alone.

Its also the font from which government run healthcare flows, restrictions and violations of all basic rights take root.

You're either a believer in the founding documents or you're a selfish excuse maker that thinks you're the exception to thousands of years of history and the tyranny......
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ironic that he returns during the election cycle. Damn shame he didn't get his bloody head removed in whatever frigging accident he had.

Of course there are still plenty on here that will say 'He's a nice guy, except that he voted for Obama'

To those folks I say BLOW ME

Nice guys do not consider everyone else an idiot... and only an idiot would vote for zero and consider himself pro-gun... and expect to get away with it.

Jeff, you stated not too long ago that you weren't going to engage in political discussions here.
Did you change your mind? Do you need that quote read back to you?
I thought your time off from here might be helpful to you, but it seems that's not the case.
As for your assertion that you are at least as pro-gun as anyone here? Your voting for Obama sunk that miles from shore. That ship will never dock.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Good luck to the good sheriff, but the easily butt hurt will not give up their incorrect interpretation of the 1st Amendment without a fight.

I'm always ready for good 1A fight. grin

The Supremes already ruled that it's OK to have this motto on our money. That means that the Sheriff can have it on his patrol cars.
It's a stupid precedent because now they won't be able to refuse "advertising" from anyone willing to pay.

They can't just let christian churches do it, and turn down everyone else.

Originally Posted by Snyper
It's a stupid precedent because now they won't be able to refuse "advertising" from anyone willing to pay.

Then go pick a cause, have some stickers made up and see if you can get it on some patrol vehicles.
The Sheriff of Brazoria County, Texas, put the slogan on our county patrol cars a few months ago. He stated up front the cost was covered by money from drug seizures and other like funds. It was not done as a religious statement, but for patriotism - noting that it was the "National Motto" and appears on our country's currency. It is not a paid commercial for any church or religion! Brazoria Count is strongly conservative, and there are few Democrats here to complain about this, and I will wager some US currency bearing the same slogan that "Allah Akbar" will NEVER be seen on a patrol car here!

Not that religious myself, but I do support this action, for this county, at this time.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Then go pick a cause, have some stickers made up and see if you can get it on some patrol vehicles.

I have no cause I want advertised, but that's the argument that will be used when someone with a cause wants to make an issue of it, and they will be correct.

What religion were they establishing as the state religion?
Originally Posted by BarryC

What religion were they establishing as the state religion?

That's exactly what the God haters will never acknowledge. Any separation of church and state was ever intended to be a separation of God from state. It has always been a guard against the government telling you in what way to worship God. The founders and early government leaders never envisioned so many Godless heathens attacking the right to acknowledge the very existence of God.
The battles that some professed Christians choose to fight these days seem pretty small. Protests over fast food establishments, campaigns over a reality TV show, outrage over a hobby store, and stickers on a LEO's car. Especially in a world choked to death by poverty, hunger, violence, bigotry, racism, etc.. Not much Christian opposition voiced against those bigger problems. Some are Christian soldiers against the trivial...and pacifists in the face of the truly awful.

No wonder that people are leaving the church in droves...and no wonder that many who aren't believers aren't attracted to Christianity in the least.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I have no cause I want advertised, but that's the argument that will be used when someone with a cause wants to make an issue of it, and they will be correct.

Exactly. It will be entertaining for sure......

Won`t be long before the cop cars will be looking like Nascar cars.
Lots of Christians love being victims.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Lots of Christians love being victims.

Lots of victims are thankful they are Christians!
I suppose they are! They seem too often to go hand in hand.
Today's great sadness over Scalia underscores exactly how badly O voters like Jeff screwed us. We are at a crossroads without a good turn to take...
© 24hourcampfire