Home
Reading through the other thread about bad shows got me to thinking about the ones that I still watch today and are still good. I still watch Andy Griffith during the noon hour whenever I can and I watch MASH at 10:30 pm before turning in. Sinefeld is still good and I like Night Court as well. Cheers is a no-brainer as well. Seems like comedy shows hold up well.
I still like Happy Days.
Hill Street Blues. I was living in Chicago when it was on and it is/was true to life in the Windy City. Porsche73
One movie that I still love is "Fandango" (1985). It was Kevin Costner's first starring role, and Judd Nelson and Sam Robards gave strong supporting performances.

If you don't enjoy it, you're either too young or too old!
Hatari. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
Movies: Wings- it is a silent film so some of it is pretty campy but the flight scenes are pretty amazing for the 1920s.

The Wind and the Lion- Sean Connery is always great, Candace Bergen is a great counter, and Brian Keith does Teddy Roosevelt pretty well. A fair bit of artistic license was taken regarding Bergeb's character but it portrays America well.

Kelly's Heroes- the cast wotks well and many went on to be fairly well known elsewhere.

TV shows- not a lot I can think of off hand. Other than those mentioned I would add the early Law & Order (before Sam Waterson) and Dragnet.
Gilligans island
Happy days
Honeymooners
All in the family
Movie: Twelve O'clock High, the timeless leadership principles in black-and-white make this a must-see movie to this day.

Originally Posted by Porsche73
Hill Street Blues. I was living in Chicago when it was on and it is/was true to life in the Windy City. Porsche73

Yep. Waited a long time for the complete series to come out on DVD.
"Second Hand Lions" with Robert Duval and Michael Caine. Two old men and a boy who needs role models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzElnBgsr0s
The Wind and the Lion is great. I just remembered The Man Who Would be King with Sean Connery and Michael Cane. Little Big Man, The Right Stuff, Dances With Wolves, Dr. Strangelove, Outlaw Josie Wales, The Godfather I and II.

TV shows Twilight Zone/Night Gallery, old cartoons like Foghorn Leghorn and Tweedy Bird, Taxi, Cheers, Mash, Mary Tyler Moore.
The Wind and the Lion is great. I just remembered The Man Who Would be King with Sean Connery and Michael Cane. Little Big Man, The Right Stuff, Dances With Wolves, Dr. Strangelove, Outlaw Josie Wales, The Wild Bunch, The Godfather I and II, To Kill A Mockingbird,Casablanca, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting.

TV shows Twilight Zone/Night Gallery, old cartoons like Foghorn Leghorn and Tweedy Bird, Taxi, Cheers, Mash, Mary Tyler Moore.
I love Lucy

Little House on the Prairie

The Waltons
I'm an Andy Griffith freak and have been told I have way too much useless knowledge about the show. Also love "Leave It To Beaver", "Bonanza", "Twilight Zone", "Perry Mason". Not nearly as old but love "Frasier" too.
I predict I'll be watching reruns of King of Queens and Rules of Engagement a long time from now. Funny as hell.
King of Queens, probably the best sitcom ever. Couple of other movies.....Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora. Never get tired of watching those two, especially Midway.
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
I predict I'll be watching reruns of King of Queens and Rules of Engagement a long time from now. Funny as hell.

Yes! Both are great. I never watched "Rules" until I caught it in re-runs and it doesn't seem to be running around here now.
andy griffith
friends
king of queens
mash
hill st blues
nypd blue
gunsmoke
sienfeld
looney toons
three stooges

Originally Posted by jaytee
Reading through the other thread about bad shows got me to thinking about the ones that I still watch today and are still good. I still watch Andy Griffith during the noon hour whenever I can and I watch MASH at 10:30 pm before turning in. Sinefeld is still good and I like Night Court as well. Cheers is a no-brainer as well. Seems like comedy shows hold up well.
The Stewardesses.
In The Heat of The Night.
The Beverly Hillbillies. I can watch Granny anytime.
Cheers
Married with Children
Three Stooges
Sanford and Son
Just a few movies get me to stop every time I'm surfing

Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Blazin Sales

The Rifleman
Adam 12.
Originally Posted by Porsche73
THAT.. IMHO it was (and still is) the best cop show ever on TV..
Rat Patrol
Gunsmoke, Rawhide and Hill Street Blues

Hill Street Blues
Night Court
M*A*S*H
Barney Miller
Adam 12
"Emergency"
Happy Days

Movies
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
The Searchers
The Sons of Katie Elder
In The Heat of The Night
The Magnificent Seven
McClintock
The Godfather
Hatari
Dirty Harry
The Sands of Iwo Jima
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The man who killed Liberty Valance
The Outlaw Josie Whales
Lonesome Dove

TV - Sanford & Son
Movie - Jeremiah Johnson
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
The Beverly Hillbillies. I can watch Granny anytime.

The only reason that I ever watched the show was in the hopes that someone would finally take a 2X4 to her. When it became obvious that that was never going to happen, I quit watching.

Without a doubt the most underrated show of all time: "My Name Is Earl"...
I do not like fiction.

Boxing

Russian car crashes

TOSH.0

Physics videos
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Without a doubt the most underrated show of all time: "My Name Is Earl"...

One of the funniest shows ever!!! The characters were cast perfectly. grin laugh
Except Granny was Irene Ryan... whistle

Hillbillies is one of my favorites, but the wife can't stand the show. She's into those harpy Wives of... shows. If I were interested in screaming self-centered biatches I'd have stayed with my first three wives...all three at once! eek
doh! Mia Culpa. Removed the post. Do love Irene Dunne..

Mr. Drysedale for Prez!!!!
Gotta go with All in the Family. It would not last a minute in today's PC world, but it is damn funny
Another TV show or two I can watch over and over are All in the Family and The Carol Burnett Show. Rowland and Martin's Laugh In but only when Goldie Hawn is on.

Movie- One we will probably never see again, Disney's Song of the South. It is a part of Americana which many wish to forget though it is a better role model than the "gangsta rap" example of today.
TV show -

Recently been into Justified. Can't see it going south with more age on it.
NYPD Blue - to a degree, loved me some Sipowitz

Movies -

Blues Brothers will always be epic and great.
Tommy Boy will always make me laugh
Rio Bravo
El Dorado
Death Hunt
Originally Posted by KYFRED
Gotta go with All in the Family. It would not last a minute in today's PC world, but it is damn funny

ABC's 'Last Man Standing' is basically a sort of modern day take-off on 'All in the Family'.

Pretty surprising on any national network weekly TV series to regularly hear wise cracks about Obama, Democrats and liberals in general.

Watch past episodes on-line here:

http://abc.go.com/shows/last-man-standing

M*A*S*H. Hill Street Blues. Anything by John Wayne. Deliverance.
I don't watch much TV but I discovered "Last Man Standing" a few weeks ago. I really appreciate the anti-Obamination rhetoric. It's remarkable the Tim isn't back in jail on some make-believe charge, like the guy who made the video that didn't cause the Benghazi atrocities.
I had my fill of MASH twenty years ago
Car 54 where are you?
Tarzan

[video:youtube]PIbR-_GraGU[/video]
Gunsmoke.....
Huh, Irene Ryan was 59 - 68 when she played Granny. I was 13 - 22 and am now 67. I haven't watched an episode in decades and would probably see her quite differently now.

Seinfeld is the one TV show from the past I can still watch.
Citizen Kane. Makes Trump look like a wuss. The cinematography along with the use of light and shadow is outstanding.
The western channel has had "The Last Train From Gun Hill" on for about a week now. With Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. Some pretty good acting, but a couple bloopers in there also. Such as in a couple scenes it shows a couple four wire power poles in a movie that is supposed to be showing an era before electric power.

It was this movie that got me thinking about the railroads and the land grants thing I posted about earlier... shows a 4-4-0 locomotive with a pot belly stack, but couldn't place the supposedly South Western RR shown on the side of the cars. Turns out the Locomotive was the Virginia & Truckee #22, guess the line was make believe. Thank it was retired in 1925 and used afterwards in quite a few of the old western movies. Now sits completely restored in the Carson City, Nevada RR museum. Apparently it had a nearly 50 year run between Virgina City, Reno, and San Francisco.

Phil
Wanted dead or alive
Rebel
Have gun will travel
Bat Masterson
© 24hourcampfire