Home
Denny (Whelenman) has graciously offered up his clubhouse (Coopersville Gun Club) for a get together!

For those who can swing it we'll meet early at New Beginnings Coopersville just north of the 96 off ramp then go to club for fellowship and food.

More details to follow.
Hey Eric, is that the place we went the first year?
The one with the rifle range uphill from the clubhouse and skeet fields?
No Mark that was Kent County Conservation League in 2011

[Linked Image]

Coopersville is where we had the second one.
Gotcha.
I've marked it on the calendar.
Is this in the U.P. or down in the land that time forgot below the bridge?
Now that's a scary looking crew! lol Do you guys get the range to yourselves? What are the range fee's? Does the guy who shoots the largest groups have to buy dinner? Any hazing of the new guys? Will there be a range officer present? Looks like covered benches. Just 100 yards or is there something farther? Single load only? 3 seconds between rounds? I'm sure I'll have more questions! OH and most important of all, by invitation only?
Sure wish I could be there. I love campfire gatherings !
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
Now that's a scary looking crew! lol Do you guys get the range to yourselves? What are the range fee's? Does the guy who shoots the largest groups have to buy dinner? Any hazing of the new guys? Will there be a range officer present? Looks like covered benches. Just 100 yards or is there something farther? Single load only? 3 seconds between rounds? I'm sure I'll have more questions! OH and most important of all, by invitation only?

GS- yeah we get the range to ourselves and Denny will be along shortly and he'll inform us as to the rules.

Generally we don't do a ton of shooting of guns; more shooting the breeze.

The picture was taken at a different range in 2011. The event this year will be at a different location also with a covered shooting point. If I recall correctly it has 100 & 200 yds?

And no, it's not by invite but first come first served.

We'd love to meet you!

Denny how many can your club accommodate?
tag
efw

Count me in!

405wcf
I'm in and will be attending sober this year.....
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it Paul laugh !!
Originally Posted by efw

GS- yeah we get the range to ourselves and Denny will be along shortly and he'll inform us as to the rules.

Generally we don't do a ton of shooting of guns; more shooting the breeze.

The picture was taken at a different range in 2011. The event this year will be at a different location also with a covered shooting point. If I recall correctly it has 100 & 200 yds?

And no, it's not by invite but first come first served.

We'd love to meet you!

Denny how many can your club accommodate?

Thanks! I'd love to meet you folks also!!! Sounds like a lot of fun!
Originally Posted by efw
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it Paul laugh !!

Toothpaste words Eric.......ya can't put them back in the tube. wink
Thanks! I'd love to meet you folks also!!! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Come on over GS! a good time will be had.
Originally Posted by gophergunner

3 miles north of M46 about 10 miles from Muskegon.

We may not have the range all to ourselves.
Originally Posted by efw
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it Toby laugh !!

There I fixed that!
Eric,

Count me in. Looking forward to seeing everyone and having another great outing.

JD338
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by efw

There I fixed that!

I just might not go now.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by efw

There I fixed that!

I just might not go now.

Ohh, suck it up Buttercup! Somebody has to be the scapegoat at a get-together. It seems you've been selected for this one. blush cool
m_stevenson

Are you saying it is like a wolf pack and somebody has to be the omega wolf? Cheers NC
Appears to be a lot of fun coming up there in April - those guys in the photo look like good folks. Wish I could make it - time and distance get in the way.

Have fun!!
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by efw

There I fixed that!

I just might not go now.

Ohh, suck it up Buttercup! Somebody has to be the scapegoat at a get-together. It seems you've been selected for this one. blush cool

You too??

Damn! I thought you Northern hicks were better than that. At least I can still depend on Scot.
Id like to try and make it this year! but have a fishing trip somewhere about the time will try to find out more about it!
Originally Posted by northcountry
m_stevenson

Are you saying it is like a wolf pack and somebody has to be the omega wolf? Cheers NC

Well no, I hadn't put much more thought into it other than just to razz
him. I'm sure I'll get the same kind of treatment from him when we sit down to have coffee.
Originally Posted by efw

There I fixed that!

I just might not go now.

You too??

Damn! I thought you Northern hicks were better than that. At least I can still depend on Scot.

Heheheh, you'll have plenty of time to get back at me I'm sure. grin
And yes, you can still depend on Scot.
You do know thats right smack dab the first week of turkey season, dont ya????

If I have a gobbler hangin I'll be there
Originally Posted by passport
You do know thats right smack dab the first week of turkey season, dont ya????

If I have a gobbler hangin I'll be there

Hey are you guys still getting lots of Steelhead at the Rockford damn? Seems like it used to be nationally famous but I hear nothing about it anymore? Went myself back in the 80's but it was elbow to elbow below the damn. Ended up just watching. Even Dick Swan (hope I spelled it right) was there also selling his "Noodle rods" from a converted motorhome! lol
Originally Posted by gophergunner

3 miles north of M46 about 10 miles from Muskegon.

Since when did Coopersville move north of M-46?

Do you mean I-96?

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Since when did Coopersville move north of M-46?

Do you mean I-96?

MM

No he had it right; the club found refuge from development out by the wastewater area. Ha.

Kinda like how South Kent Sportsman's Club is in Allegan County...
Just checked Im Turkey hunt starts the 25th so im good, not sure on the fishing trip yet tho!

Hey are you guys still getting lots of Steelhead at the Rockford damn? Seems like it used to be nationally famous but I hear nothing about it anymore?

Not so much anymore; DNR changed their fish planting practices and it is a shadow of what it once was.

Sad; I grew up right there during the hay day and it was awesome but the fishery has been degrading steadily for years.
Originally Posted by efw

Hey are you guys still getting lots of Steelhead at the Rockford damn? Seems like it used to be nationally famous but I hear nothing about it anymore?

Not so much anymore; DNR changed their fish planting practices and it is a shadow of what it once was.

Sad; I grew up right there during the hay day and it was awesome but the fishery has been degrading steadily for years.

Thanks EFW! That's a shame! The one time I went you couldn't park within miles of the damn. It was insane but you could look in any direction and see folks with fish on! I did no fishing that weekend. Just watched the show and admired all the great fish! If I remember right Field & Stream did an article on fishing the damn that year (1978 I think).

I will reserve the range, but if a member wants to share it they can. No fee's. We have indiscriminate hazing, Covered shooting, the range is 2 hundred yards. I guess I will be the range officer.We would like to get some idea on who is coming, just so we no how muck food to get. You can see the facilities at http://www.coopersvillesportsmansclub.org

Any other questions, feel free to ask!!!
Toby will be there Boss.
This Northern hick will be there.
I sure will try that sounds like a good time.
Damn
You picked the weekend of the Wolverine Knife show in Novi again.
Good thing to do and good time at the first one.
Tim
Dang sorry you can't make it Tim!

Excited to hear from others!!!!

TTT
okay, I count 404,338,m stevenson,Ernie, and Toby, right? rylee1, gettosportsman,passport,saddlering-- maybe
I'm up in the air about it. it's a 4 hour drive for me, one way. Plus, I've got a lot of stuff going on between family and work with a little travel thrown in, plus taking care of a new puppy.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to wait until we get a bit closer to that date to make a commitment.
Scott, you could ride with me if you can spare the time to go.
I can understand that Scott!
I can understand that Scott!

Yep totally understand would love to see ya and hanging fer 8 hrs in the car w/ Mark doesn't sound like a bad deal at all!?

Even so I totally get it; that's a big reason why it's been so long since I could help w/ a get together... My family stuff has kept me hoppin!
Dang, trout opener/turkey camp starts that weekend. Maybe I can talk the boys into going up later or at least hit breakfast. I'll know as we get a little closer.

CF
Sounds like fun! If you have room i,ll come over! Want me to call Grasshopper?
Clint I have been meaning to call Ed and I keep forgetting so heck yeah that'd be great!
Who is bringing what?
I know I'll be bringing my new to me TC Contender 375 Win. Maybe the 338 RUM and 416 Wby.

JD338
Well, looks like I'm out......booked for that day already....dang, and so close to me as well!
Called Grasshopper and he in! Will keep looking for more info. What to bring? Maybe the BFR 475 L.
okay, I count 404,338,m stevenson,Ernie, and Toby, right? I count 404,338,m stevenson,Ernie,

I count 404,338,m stevenson,Ernie,Toby Clint,grasshopper, and me, rylee1, gettosportsman,passport,saddlering-- maybe
Don't forget me; I'll be there w/ my oldest son Samuel.

Thanks for offering up the meeting place Denny; I am really looking forward to seeing you all!
It's not looking good for me to make it.
I am very sorry to hear that Scott.
Originally Posted by efw
Don't forget me; I'll be there w/ my oldest son Samuel.

Thanks for offering up the meeting place Denny; I am really looking forward to seeing you all!

Your there Ernie!

We are meeting at the restaurant for breakfast, What are we going to do for lunch?
It is right in the middle of turkey season, and it isnt in Area J? However, I would like to make it somehow.

What is on the agenda? Shooting? Fishing?

I actually want to show the wife that part of the state. This could work well.

All the best,
Jeff
That Ernie is such a hoot ain't he!
You know what I'm talking bout Vern?

Let's plan to meet at the New Biginnings in Coopersville just north of the EWay, then follow Denny out to the club.

I'll bring burgers dogs buns & fixins. The club has a nice new grill. Denny's wife volunteered to make us beans. Can y'all each bring a dish to pass like potato/macaroni salad, chips, whatever? Maybe a wife could make a jello mold or something for dessert?

I've been loading like a mad man for the AR; I'll have the 1911 that club graciously awarded me a couple summers ago, and my 30-06 as well as (if allowed) steel plate.

Anybody heard from JBMI?

RAS- shooting guns & the breeze are what we'll be up to and we'd love to see you!
What time do you guys want to meet for breakfast. I's about a half hour to the club,we can shoot a nine, but I said no one would shoot until 10. Some one might be hunting turkeys. But we can still shoot the breeze.
Eric
I will be in Fort Wayne the 23rd. Daughter has a basketball Tourney.

Bob
Would 8:30am be time enough to get to the club by 10?
Just tell me when, so I can set my alarm clock early enough.

Mark
Originally Posted by bruinruin
It's not looking good for me to make it.

Scott, if your situation changes, give me a shout.
Bump.
Sorry guys but I can't make it! Sure would have liked to meet you all!
Man I wanted to make the get together this time , was taking a serious look a jugling my schedule. Well this past saturday a higher power set my plans for the next 3+ months. Hope ya all have a good time. Maybe we can do a mid-Michigan meet later this summer.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Man I wanted to make the get together this time , was taking a serious look a jugling my schedule. Well this past saturday a higher power set my plans for the next 3+ months. Hope ya all have a good time. Maybe we can do a mid-Michigan meet later this summer.

If everything goes well over here I would be up for that.
Its too far for me to make it for breakfast but would like to meet at the club a little later in the morning.

Rob
That's awesome Rob it'll be awesome to put a face (other than that of a dog wink ) with your name!!

I did talk to JBMI and unfortunately he can't make it this year.

Anyone else?

I am thinking probably 8:30 at New Beginnings is good giving us an hour for breakfast before we head to the club.
Trust me the Dog is better looking
I just heard for joemama, he can't make it either.
Gentlemen,

I am going to try to make it this year if I move my turkey hunt to the right or the weather goes south for it. Who do I have to coordinate with to accomplish this?

Whelenman?

Thanks,
Jeff
Bump.
It's all most here!!!!
don't forget the cameras this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happens at the MI get together stays at the MI get together, no cameras! wink
So what time are you all meeting at New Beginnings?
huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by rylee1
So what time are you all meeting at New Beginnings?

8:30, I think.
Im out will be down state fishing for Walleyes!

I'll bring it, but Paul won't be all drugged up so the photo ops won't be as much fun this year.

Dang.
Here is what I have so far:

Mstevenson
whelenman
12344mag
jd338
405WCF
Rylee
Grasshopper
Clintsfolly
efw & efw, jr

total of 10.

We'll meet at New Beginnings in Coopersville at 830, leave there in a convoy at 930.

Lunch at the club on their grill I'm bringing burgers, dogs, & buns you guys bring a dish to pass. Mrs. Whelenman is bringing beans so pray for a stiff breeze.

I'm bringing a swinging steel pendulum and lots of 223 ammo for the AR.

If you have any questions send me a PM. I'm looking forward to seeing you all!

grace and peace,

efw

A lot of guys turkey hunting or trout fishing but I'm looking forward to this get together!

We're still able to take more if anyone is interested.
Are there 50 and 100 yard target holders? I have a number of rifles that need zeroed.
Are targets available for purchase at the club?

I'm looking forward to it, I'm really hoping I feel better than the last few days, I caught something. Better yet, it feels like something caught me.
EFW, you have a PM
Are there 50 and 100 yard target holders? I have a number of rifles that need zeroed.
Are targets available for purchase at the club?

I'm looking forward to it, I'm really hoping I feel better than the last few days, I caught something. Better yet, it feels like something caught me.

We have 50, 100, and two hundred yd. ranges. targets are available.
Thanks Denny, see you on Saturday.
Hey guys, I have got monthly raffle tickets if anyone is interested. starting in May ending in September. With August missing for the summerfest. $5. each
Originally Posted by efw

I'll bring it, but Paul won't be all drugged up so the photo ops won't be as much fun this year.

Dang.

Who says Toby won't be drugged up. grin
Originally Posted by efw

Dang.

Bruinruin done showed me da pictures and I will be getting even with you turds!
Looking forward to seeing all you old farts.

JD338
Have a great time.
I will be passing New Beginnings around 6:00 am on my way to the WKCC knife show.
I would be interested in a get together this summer.
First and last of April I usually do shows.
Smoke em if you got em.
Tim
Thanks to 405WCF for offering to bring water, JD338 for potato salad, and Mrs Whelenman for baked beans!

Anyone else able/willing to bring something?

Dessert?
I'll bring cookies!

And a turd pie for Denny. wink
My truck is in the shop this afternoon. I do not know at this time if it'll be done in time to come to this tomorrow.
If I can attend, I'll bring some chips and such.

Mark
I am making something for dessert most likely brownies if you need anything else let me know
I'll bring cookies!

Go easy on Denny. After the 'bama blow out and then MSU's one and done (ESPECIALLY AFTER THEY BRAGGED ABOUT WINNING IT ALL) he's in a fragile state of mind... grin
Well, the repair bill didn't eat up all my money, so I will be there in the morning.

I missed the non-April fools thread where he broke his anonymity?

-ernie
Glad to hear, have a safe drive.

They were out of turd pies so I got a rotten wormy apple pie instead, Ernie may partake as well.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I'll bring cookies!

Go easy on Denny. After the 'bama blow out and then MSU's one and done (ESPECIALLY AFTER THEY BRAGGED ABOUT WINNING IT ALL) he's in a fragile state of mind... grin

Where did Meeeeechigan end up in the standings? cry Oh! that's right way behind their "little brother" grin
Thanks to everyone for letting the new guy in and feel welcome. Had a great time and it was good to meet everyone. Special thanks to Denny for hosting the get together today.
Glad you could make it. This was more personable, we got more time to be one or one.

Denny

ps Thanks for the turd pie, Toby
You gots it massa.
Really really grateful to everyone who came for a great time; especially to Denny for hosting!

Here is a link to a photobucket folder I created for our pics:

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/efrrwake99/library/24%20HR%20Get%20Together%202016

Thanks again everyone!!
I got home a little bit ago.
Thanks for putting this on, I enjoyed every minute of it.
Tired, more later
Gentlemen, thanks for a great day. Special thanks to Denny for hosting and Eric for cooking!

405wcf
It was good to see you fellas. I had a great time shooting and shooting the bull. Special thank you to Denny for hosting and Eric for organizing the get together.

JD338
I kept looking for a couple of guys, Ernie and Toby to show up, but they never did.

Wonder why not? grin
I kept looking for a couple of guys, Ernie and Toby to show up, but they never did.

Wonder why not? grin

Ernie doesn't like to hang out with Toby to much.......Toby is to good lookin'.
I think Ernie was with Burt,Toby with Chicken George. Just sayin.
Lets plan on doing it again in April, when Michiganroadkill doesn't have a knife show. Early enough so that we get more people involved. What say you?????????????
I'm in for another.

Next time I promise all my guns will be sighted in!

Maybe a midsummer get together somewhere farther North.
I'd love one in mid-July or August but we'd have to talk turkey on dates fast to make sure I can get there.

I really really enjoyed this and always love hearing about what's happening w/ y'all!

Thanks especially to Toby for taking my handgun-Loving son under his wing and so generously allowing him to burn Ammo. That was really cool.
It was my honor, I love to watch the kids shoot and learn. As far as I'm concerned he didn't shoot enough of it up, ammo can was still heavy when I put it in the car. wink

The kid has a steady hand and a keen eye for head shots, the boy did good.
It was my honor, I love to watch the kids shoot and learn. As far as I'm concerned he didn't shoot enough of it up, ammo can was still heavy when I put it in the car. wink

Who put the ammo can into the car????????????? As I remember it , it was massa could you please help Toby.

Who put the ammo can into the car????????????? As I remember it , it was massa could you please help Toby.

You are correct but it was Samuel that helped Toby unload it and he used some of the ammo up so that it was light enough for the old man to help. laugh
© 24hourcampfire