Home
Anybody local know anything about this?
We know this mans mother.

A Bozeman man is dead after an early morning car crash just outside of Manhattan.

The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office said the single-vehicle wreck was found by a sheriff's deputy at 1:36 a.m. Sunday near mile marker 286.

Officials said Gabriel Charles Schiers, 36, of Bozeman was driving a 2001 Subaru Legacy.

Montana Highway Patrol told NBC Montana that Schiers drifted into the median, then overcorrected. They said the vehicle rolled and Schiers was ejected. Officials said he was not wearing a seat belt and was pronounced dead on arrival.

Montana Highway Patrol is investigating.
Single vehicle rollover with ejection resulting in a fatality is an all too common occurrence here in MT.

Sorry for the man's family.

A friend that is a client there hasn't heard anything.

My accountant is from Manhattan and said he heard about the accident. Nothing is being said by sheriff right not but the thought is he possibly fell asleep and the usual question whether alcohol was a factor or not has not been answered yet.
They said the vehicle rolled and Schiers was ejected. Officials said he was not wearing a seat belt and was pronounced dead on arrival.
That's all too common. In a rollover, the safest place to be is inside the car. So many deaths like this are preventable by just using the seatbelt.
I feel oddly uncomfortable if I don't have my seatbelt on.
Seatbelts save way more than they harm... used to read that all the time.

Then joined first responders and I've seen it with my own eyes...

I just dont' think they should be required by law, only by intelligence.
Drivers who don't use belts are job security for EMT's & ER crews.
I have unbuckled my seatbelt at least 3 times which resulted in me falling down.

Translated, 3 different times I have been in an accident where the vehicle came to rest on its top or side and my belt kept me in place. Thank my boss in college who required us to wear seatbelts whenever we were driving work outfits and really started instilling that in me. Now my kids freak if anyone in the car is not buckled up.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Translated, 3 different times I have been in an accident where the vehicle came to rest on its top or side.

Maybe some driver's ed is in order? Just sayin...

Translated, 3 different times I have been in an accident where the vehicle came to rest on its top or side and my belt kept me in place.

After buckling, tell yourself : shiny side up, dirty side down......
Originally Posted by Joseywales
Translated, 3 different times I have been in an accident where the vehicle came to rest on its top or side.

Maybe some driver's ed is in order? Just sayin...

Maybe. Maybe not.

Did you ever consider that my post stated "I have been in an accident..." No where did I say I was the driver.

And maybe it has something to do with the fact that I drive 5 times more than the average person per year and a majority of those miles are from January through April all through the northern Rockies and northern Great Plains mostly at night.
Originally Posted by rost495

Wait till you see what's left of a teenage girl after she tumbles through an open door (doors typically open on a rollover) and the car rolls over on her. I'm quite the libertarian on most things but a seatbelt law is a no-brainer.
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by rost495

Wait till you see what's left of a teenage girl after she tumbles through an open door (doors typically open on a rollover) and the car rolls over on her. I'm quite the libertarian on most things but a seatbelt law is a no-brainer.

From reading what rost does I think there's a chance he mighta seen some of that type of thing..?
If it wasn't for alcohol and not wearing seat belts, we would have a much higher population in this state.
Most people do not think that a vehicle rolling over should be something dangerous, as it seems like a relatively slow thing going on. Yet in reality these accidents cause a huge amount of centripetal (or is it centrifugal?) force as the vehicle rotates; generally enough force to open the doors and toss an untethered person out. And a person flying uncontrolled through the air does not walk away like on TV but instead usually dies from impacting the ground or something solid. Count me in as a seatbelt user.
Not to mention the fact that you become a flying object inside the vehicle making multiple impacts with the inside of the vehicle as it tumbles and rapidly decelerates. It's a bad deal all the way around.
I knew one experienced Texas Highway Patrolman, who said he had never once unbuckled a dead person...
In my 25 years as a LEO I investigated many upon many vehicle accidents. They are very violent in nature. I can honestly say that every crash I investigated where an ejection occurred, so did a death of that person. Seatbelts
do save lives..
http://www.belgrade-news.com/news/crime/article_5e93a3fc-ebd6-11e5-a2cf-9f9f54dcc602.html

I used to work as a uniformed state trooper.

I don't think any person over 18 years of age should required by law to wear a seat belt, or a helmet, I think it is extremely dangerous not to do. Under 18, most kids don't have enough life experience to make smart decisions.

It is your choice, and I have seem a BUNCH of fatal crashes, mostly one vehicle rollovers that the occupants would have probably walked away with minor scratches/injuries, if they had been buckled up.

But that was their choice. I believe that was what killed Noveske.
Thought Noveske left the road on a curve and hit an immovable object, namely a large tree.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I knew one experienced Texas Highway Patrolman, who said he had never once unbuckled a dead person...

I had one man die in the driver's seat, while I spoke with him. His car hit a cow.

Cattle were loose on the interstate, from an overturned cattle truck. We were trying to contain them, and many were agitated and injured, we were denied permission to put them down. One ran out into lane of travel. car nailed it. It was like slow motion. I spoke with man as he faded out. I believe they said detached aorta. Tough day.
I've cut out plenty of dead people out of their seatbelts but they also would have died not wearing one. I've also seen people walk away from a wreck that they'd have died in if they weren't buckled up. I always wear a seatbelt -everywhere. It's a habit that feels uncomfortable if I don't. I'm against all laws that require compulsory use helmets, seatbelts, etc for adults 18 and over.

There was a bad grinder on a two lane rural highway. The driver was buckled but when he over corrected and rolled on the roof his head went through the sunroof. It was a 10 inch wide red stripe that looks like it was painted on purpose. That was the first time I ever cut a headless corpse out of a seatbelt.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Anybody local know anything about this?

When I was in Jackson this week I saw in the paper he was a Jackson native.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/valle...c9441f2-b9ea-5e92-8b1d-5d13d7eed19f.html
What were you doing in Jackson, Brad?
I'm building a house in Jackson, and am there every week. A sort of "honorary local"... laugh
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I have unbuckled two. One hit a light pole at 95 MPH and the other hit the steering wheel with her chest and tore her aorta. Died while I was talking to her!
well, welcome to the neighborhood.
So sorry for your friends loss... so tragic.

Thanks for the welcome.

Been working on the project from conception for the last 3 years. I feel local! Have made a lot of friends in JAC. We have a condo just below Snow King, and have enjoyed being there... so many great restaurants!

But will be happy to be home starting in a couple months...

Cool!
I was hit head on by a drunk driver. I had a seat belt with shoulder harness and air bags. The impact was roughly 85 MPH (me 30 and her 55).

I unbuckled and climbed out of the car. My wife had a concussion. I was with the other driver within 60 seconds of the impact. She had no safety devices and her head was firmly planted in the steering wheel. She never had a chance.

I haven't riden in a moving vehicle without a seatbelt since.
© 24hourcampfire