Home
Posted By: Bootsfishing Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
So my 11 year old boy broke his today....the so call sling that goes around and under both shoulders and across his back doesn't seem to be that great. Anyone BTDT and have any words of wisdom? Any better "brace/sling" or is it just one of those stay still, rest and heal??? Thanks.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
That figure-eight sling has always been the standard treatment for an uncomplicated clavicle break. The only alternative I'm aware of would be internal fixation via surgery. It all depends on the break but I'd guess the doc knows what he's doing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
Tough to keep an 11 yo boy still!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
Originally Posted by ironbender
Tough to keep an 11 yo boy still!

Nah, just break his collar bone and you can settle him right down.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
The figure 8 is as good as it gets. Nothing will give him any comfort but the first thing you need to do if you don't already have one is get a recliner. You can't sleep laying down, it is torture. I broke mine in 5 places and had to have surgery and so did my son a couple of years later. He could only sleep in a recliner too. I have broke several bones and the collar bone is the worst.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
Hope the bugger heals quickly and is able to get a little comfort and sleep.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
I broke my clavicle in a bicycle wreck several years ago, I wore a standard sling for about eight weeks or so. Unaware that the figure eight was the standard treatment. Mine was a simple break near the outer end of the bone, while it hurt it was not excruciatingly painful. I was fortunate that it healed well and has never been a problem.
Posted By: Sask_Hunter Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
I have broken my left one twice. Broke it in 3-4 spot in 07 and wore the figure 8 deal for 6 weeks or so. Second time I broke it was in 09 and the dr in Whitehorse said then don't use the figure 8 deal any more. I was never one to have my arm in a skin so I just stuffed my hand in the jean pocket.

My pain was never bad took a few ibuprofen to keep the swelling down but no pain killers for either break. As for sleeping I used two pillows one to keep my arm supported when I slept on my side and another to keep me from rolling over to far on my back.

I Wish the young guy a speedy and full recovery and in 6-8 weeks he will be back to normal.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
So my 11 year old boy broke his today....the so call sling that goes around and under both shoulders and across his back doesn't seem to be that great. Anyone BTDT and have any words of wisdom? Any better "brace/sling" or is it just one of those stay still, rest and heal??? Thanks.

It's torture for a young boy. My 13-yr old broke his on a 4-wheeler. Lucky he didn't break his head or his neck. He wore a figure 8 brace for about 2-1/2 months.

Just make sure he's careful at first. My son was playing video games in the basement 2 weeks after the accident. He was getting up out of a gaming chair and rebroke his. It was starting to calcify. He was in lots of pain. He didn't know any better, but he learned a hard lesson. He was very careful after that not to rebreak it.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
Wild Turkey helps.
Posted By: prm Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
I've broke both. Raced motocross. The figure 8 helps heal things in the correct alignment. Not much use really. It has to be real bad to need surgery. My last break looked like a Z and it healed fine.
Lying down is very hard. The worst part if you ask me. Easier to sleep on a couch sideways with pillows behind the back and under the knees, leaning on good shoulder against back of couch.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
I broke mine in two places racing Moto-X. I wore the figure 8 thing for 6 weeks and was fine.

I broke it again my Junior year of high school in a play. This time it was displaced and had a triangular shaped piece unattached. They wanted to do surgery. I told them to set it and I would lay on my back for a week to get it to take. They agreed. I missed a week of school and it healed. I won a powerlifting tournament 8 weeks later. Apparently it doesn't have much stress!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/17/16
FWIW, not to take anything away from the troubles your son has, Todd Palin it was recently reported, broke his clavicle in a snow machine crash and had to have plates and pins fixed in order to fix it up. He also broke ribs in 11 places and has metal bands placed to lift his ribs. He has issues with lung bruising and they're working to re-inflate one lung. A broken shoulder blade will have to wait for now, as will ACL and MCL damage. Not sure how is survived, still not certain who found and came to his rescue.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/18/16
This guy is a strong believer in surgical correction for clavicles and is a big time knee guy for MX racers and other athletes. People that want to get back on a motocross bike real fast swear by him. A no bullshit kinda guy that would like fit in well on here.
http://www.sandersclinic.net
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/18/16
My 17 year old did this a couple or three years ago during the wrestling practice. This was the day before the first dual of the season. He missed the entire season but wrestled like nothing had happened the next year.

The two ends didn't grow back together end to end. One overlapped the other by a half inch or so, he has a bump there but not tender in any way.

Young bones heal quicker than old ones.
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/18/16
Originally Posted by smarquez
This guy is a strong believer in surgical correction for clavicles and is a big time knee guy for MX racers and other athletes. People that want to get back on a motocross bike real fast swear by him. A no bullshit kinda guy that would like fit in well on here.
http://www.sandersclinic.net

Agree with you on Dr Sanders, I follow him on TT, He's a class act.
Our son Blew up a clavical, again, on his last "Get Off" . We chose to have the surgery because recovery from his previous two breaks were a long slow painful slog..

Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Broken clavicle? - 03/22/16
Just a thanks for the responses....he is back to school today since his fall thursday. He's doing what he's supposed to do, so far...grin. We have a follow up this thursday.
© 24hourcampfire