Home
Posted By: milespatton cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I have a couple of small pieces of chain that I want to paint, but they have rust on them. I also have a small cement mixer, and was thinking that I could use it to clean up the chain, but what medium to use. Would regular gravel work, or too big? I wish I had some pea gravel to try, but do not. Any ideas out there? miles
Posted By: 4ager Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Got any sand?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Got any sand?

My vote too
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Drag them down a sandy road behind your truck.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Throw em in a 50/50 solution vinegar and water for a day or two.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
wonder if chem dip would work.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Got any sand?

That's three votes for sand!!
Posted By: kingston Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by Oldman03

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is what we do.
Posted By: Pete E Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Try soaking them in vinegar or diesel for a few days, then wash and tumble in sand if needs be....
Posted By: milespatton Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
No sand, no sandy road. Just about 18 inches long for each one. miles
Posted By: Pete E Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I cleaned up a couple of old spanners a few years ago by soaking in diesel and I was surprised who well it worked.

You'd probably need to degrease them afterwards though...
Posted By: Owl Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Miles, are they rusted? or just dirty from oil and dirt ?

If you have a cement mixer, toss them in with any abrasive. Sand, dirt, etc. It only takes a few minutes.
Posted By: joken2 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This. It'll take the rust off nicely.
Posted By: rost495 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
any chain drug behind the tractor any distance, and we don't really have a lot of sand, will become mostly clean and shiny...... can soak in vinegar or even ospho after that...
I tried vinegar on some old planter parts a few years back but was not too impressed. I used straight vinegar though. These pieces of chain just have some spots of rust, but some inside the loops where it is hard to get to. This was just an idea that I came up with while wire brushing the parts the chain goes onto. Torsion bars for my camper hitch. miles
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by kingston

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is what we do.

this.

and be suprised now much asphalt will make a dragging safety chain disappear grin
Posted By: bruinruin Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
As mentioned, tumbling it with sand would work great. If you have no sand, try ashes.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by milespatton

Tie them to a rope, tie the rope to you bumper... drive anywhere.

Put them in the mixer with with about anything.

Buy new (they are only 1.5' after all).

Not trying to be rude, but unless they are sentimental or something this will all fix enough to be able to paint and reuse.
Posted By: las Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Naval jelly would work too. There is also stuff (ospho?) that converts light rust to a paintable primer.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I like the idea of using the mixer with some type of abrasive medium. You get to playing around with it and you might end up with everything on your place that will fit in it cleaned up.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I worked for a company that made a lot of flame cut parts, to clean and deburr them they put them in a cement mixer with a couple of coffee cans of kitty litter or speedi-dry oil adsorbing compound. Worked great, parts came out clean and ready to prime and paint.
Posted By: joken2 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16

Is there a Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc., within reasonable driving distance? If so they usually stock a clean play sand in good size bags for kids sand boxes and such.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16

Being a little lazy around the edges, if I wanted a couple of 18 inch pieces of clean chain I'd probably just go out and buy new.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16

I've actually done that with big tow chains....it works great but you need to tie 20-30 feet of rope between the truck and chain....
If so they usually stock a clean play sand in good size bags for kids sand boxes and such.

I could probably buy a couple of pieces of chain for the price of the sand. If I buy new chain, then I got a couple of pieces of chain laying around in the way.

I went over in the field where I had disked a fire lane and got a bucket of the sandiest ground that I could find. Got it in the mixer as we speak. Waiting on the before pictures to load to photo bucket. Threw in a wrench and an extension too. Will have to buy the U-bolts that hold them on, as they were worn pretty bad and one twisted off when trying to remove it. miles
Posted By: 12344mag Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Muriatic acid would clean them up lickity split.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Muriatic acid would clean them up lickity split.

and will clean old gunked up carburetors also
Posted By: Scott F Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
We would just drag it behind the ship and let the salt water clean it up. Worked great but I doubt it would work well where you live. wink

I thing sharp sand would work pretty well in your cement mixer.
Posted By: Scott F Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
As a side note I accidentally threw a shell holder in with some brass I was cleaning. When I found it and saw how nice it cleaned up I threw the rest of my shell holder in the tumbler.
Posted By: forpest Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
If the above doesn't work, Google electrolytic derusting.
Well, my sandy ground was too fine to do much so after a bit I went and got some gravel from the road and will see how that works. Tried to screen out some smaller pieces but that was a lost cause. miles
The gravel worked good on the chain but the tools kept getting hung in the holes where the slanted stirrers are, and just went around and around. One side got clean but not the other. miles

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stevelyn Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I use a product called PolyZag or PolyZ as it's known or Alumabrite for derusting my traps and snares. It eats the rust off without hurting the metal.
Posted By: CCCC Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Miles, stretch them out on the ground, pour a mixture of bee honey and pine sap on them, and leave them there for a day or two. Then, turn them over and do the same thing again on the up side.

The armadillos will come in at night and lick them clean, rust and all - those critters have raspy tongues - better than a tough wire brush or a bassturd file.
Posted By: 257wby Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
I'm not trying to be difficult, but who paints chains???
Posted By: SamOlson Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Damn it, I was hoping this was a thread about cleaning gold chains.

Not frikken rusty ass old steel chains.
Posted By: Craigster Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Damn it, I was hoping this was a thread about cleaning gold chains.

Not frikken rusty ass old steel chains.

Yup, four fuhcking pages.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Lordy Lordy!

Bead blast the sumbeech and be done with it!!
Posted By: highpockets1 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Soak overnight in muratic acid .
Posted By: high_country_ Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/29/16
Go skid some firewood. ....they clean right up.
Posted By: milespatton Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/30/16
I'm not trying to be difficult, but who paints chains???

Painting the hitch and torsion bars on an RV and did not want to leave the chains rusty. Got it clean, now to paint. miles
The armadillos will come in at night and lick them clean, rust and all

Damn Paul. I wish that I had known this sooner as I have been at war with armadillos here and have them about wiped out. miles
Bead blast the sumbeech and be done with it!!

Just trying to make do with what I have around, and did. miles
Posted By: gunswizard Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/30/16
Typical 'fire thread, multiple pages, same answer repeated over and over with a measure of off topic nonsense thrown in for good measure. This place has gotten to be a playground for idle minds with nothing better to do, surprized nothing political has been mentioned yet.
same answer repeated over and over with a measure of off topic nonsense thrown in for good measure.

I kinda like the nonsense, but was kinda disappointed in the ones trying to send me to the store to buy something. Makes me wonder if a lot here are not merchants of one sort or another. miles
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/30/16
Try a can or 2 of regular Coke, seen that work before.
Posted By: CCCC Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/30/16
Miles - understood what you were wanting to do and am glad that you got 'er done. But, do try that honey/sap method sometime.

gunswizard, why not put that idle mind to work - which Pres candidate reminds you of a rusty 18" chain - or a cement mixer - or an armadillo?
Posted By: bcolorado Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/30/16
As per CCCC...

rusty 18" chain - Hilliary

cement mixer- Trump

armadillo- Cruz

idle mind here... grin grin grin

Posted By: CashisKing Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/31/16
Originally Posted by bcolorado
As per CCCC...

rusty 18" chain - Hilliary

cement mixer- Trump

armadillo- Cruz

idle mind here... grin grin grin

I see Hitlary as more of a go round in circles after the topic was studied for 2 years, $2b in EPA studies and 2,000 guberment jobs were created.

Going for 10 idle mind pages.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/31/16
I have a couple of small pieces of chain that I want to paint, but they have rust on them. I also have a small cement mixer, and was thinking that I could use it to clean up the chain, but what medium to use. Would regular gravel work, or too big? I wish I had some pea gravel to try, but do not. Any ideas out there? miles
Dump it in a bucket with apple cider vinegar, but be ready to paint it the minute you take it out and wash it off or rust will come back very quickly.
Posted By: sactoller Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/31/16
Get "the Works" bathroom cleaner....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: cleaning a chain? - 03/31/16
Wish I'd seen this thread sooner! I sent out a 358 to get blasted and coated, I coulda just drug it behind the truck and Kryloned it! laugh
Posted By: milespatton Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/01/16
Will have to buy the U-bolts that hold them on, as they were worn pretty bad and one twisted off when trying to remove it.

That got a little trickier than expected. After going to several hardware stores, I got on the net and looked around. Got some ordered and just hope they are the correct ones. Diameter is correct and they are for attaching chains to a swaybar hitch. No other size in the order place to check against what I have. Cheap enough, but still a gamble. miles
Posted By: northern_dave Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/01/16
One time I mixed coke and vinegar in a bucket and tossed in an old rusty log chain. I forgot about it for 3 weeks, when I finally remembered and pulled it out of the bucket, it was a rope.

mad

Does anybody know how to un-rope a [bleep] chain?
when I finally remembered and pulled it out of the bucket, it was a rope.

Always wondered how rope was made, but that don't seem correct somehow. miles
Posted By: tzone Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/01/16
Hardware store closed? A few links of chain should run you about $5.
Hardware store closed? A few links of chain should run you about $5.

Already been explained. You sometimes need to read the whole thread. miles
Posted By: northern_dave Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/01/16
when I finally remembered and pulled it out of the bucket, it was a rope.

Always wondered how rope was made, but that don't seem correct somehow. miles

It is possible someone pulled a switcharoo on me....

Posted By: Harry M Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/01/16
There certainly has been a lot of pulling the chain here lately. Who's pulling whose chain....wait...what...oh...cleaning the chain...never mind..
Posted By: milespatton Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/02/16
There certainly has been a lot of pulling the chain here lately.

Next step. This has me thinking about another project. I have a metal can that popcorn came in that I think will just about fit in the mixer. If I install a few "bars" to keep things from sliding to the bottom and tumble, I could convert this thing to a brass tumbler. Now what would be the best media? Walnut, ceramic, stainless pins or another? miles
Posted By: deflave Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/03/16
Miles,

I think the best method to clean your chain would be steel wool. About 30 minutes per link works well for me.

Travis
Posted By: milespatton Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/03/16
Sorry bud, but you blew it and this is all that I see again.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post
Posted By: deflave Re: cleaning a chain? - 04/03/16
miles,

Please give me a second chance. I just want to help as best I can with your chain restorations.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire