Home
Hi,
Maybe this will help someone out there. I have a Ft. Knox Titan with the S&G Electronic lock. I've had it for 15 years WITH NO PROBLEM UNTIL 2 DAYS AGO!. Getting the code to release the bolts became balky. It was working about 50% of the time. The company said to put pressure counterclockwise (as if closing it) and try that. Well, I tried that with them on the phone and it didn't work, tried again and it opened. I said I would try that from now on. BIG MISTAKE. I should have never closed the door cause for 2 days now I've been trying all their tricks and suggestions to get it open . IMO, never get an electronic lock and if you have one, switch it out NOW for a traditional tumbler lock. My .02

ps. if you doubt what I've said, do a search on Gun safe electronic lock problems and make your own decision. YMMV
Assuming that you want help, folks will probably want more information about what - exactly - the problem might be.

First suggestion would be to call the company or companies involved.
we are to assume the electronic lock is messed up?
Yeah, sorry, I hit enter before I finished the post. It is now done.

I've talked to the company and went thru all their suggestions to no avail. I think maybe a (the) pin that the solonoid activates has become dislodged or something. They will send someone out but I want to try again today before that happens. Drilling will be the last resort. Thanks
Nearly all locksmiths will tell you that its not a matter of "if" an electronic lock will fail but when. I'll never own a safe with an e-lock.
Originally Posted by jaytee
Nearly all locksmiths will tell you that its not a matter of "if" an electronic lock will fail but when. I'll never own a safe with an e-lock.

Yep.
Silly question, I know, but are you sure you have a good battery in that lock? I change mine about every 3-4 years and so far (20+ years) no problems..

But my other safe is a manual lock, just in case.. smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
Silly question, I know, but are you sure you have a good battery in that lock? I change mine about every 3-4 years and so far (20+ years) no problems..

But my other safe is a manual lock, just in case.. smile

The batteries that initially were in it were 6 months old. Replaced them and it still didn't unlock. Even tried a new second set. All Durasils . Thanks
Gotcha..
Never heard of a problem with them before, but I've always thought it's the kind of thing I want no part of...this just confirmed it. I'll stick to the old turn-the-dial style.
Is sit actually possible to purchase a mechanical replacement for the electric entry?

Cannon told me 'NO'.

She did say that a lot of people requested them, but still 'NO'
Originally Posted by cra1948
Never heard of a problem with them before, but I've always thought it's the kind of thing I want no part of...this just confirmed it. I'll stick to the old turn-the-dial style.

I never heard of problems either - that is until I had had mine. Then I find out about horror stories. When this gets opened, it'll be a combo lock that will be put on. I will use the electronic dial on this one as target practice.
Electronic locks - a bad solution to a nonexistent problem..
Originally Posted by muffin
Is sit actually possible to purchase a mechanical replacement for the electric entry?

Cannon told me 'NO'.

She did say that a lot of people requested them, but still 'NO'

If I have no success today, I will call Ft Knox about my next step. I will ask them to send out another keypad FWIW. Then about retrofit when it opens. Thanks.
TR, you're not the first fire member to have trouble with an electronic lock on a gun safe. So dont beat yourself up, too bad.

Hope you get it open, without having to mess up the safe.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
TR, you're not the first fire member to have trouble with an electronic lock on a gun safe. So dont beat yourself up, too bad.

Hope you get it open, without having to mess up the safe.

Thanks,

All electronic stuff fails. It's just a matter of when. I would never use one on my vaults.
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

My safe came with both electronic & tumbler. I see the electronic lock inside on the shelf every time I open mine.

Same here.

L.W.
Twinray: My safes locks are all manual tumbler types.
I have a close friend who is a 1,000 yard Bench Rest competitor.
The day before he was to begin travel to a distant match his electronic safe would NOT open.
Luckily it was a Thursday. He literally was on the phone all afternoon and ALL NIGHT with the safe company.
Luckily they somehow got it to work (re-programed the combination IIRC?) anyway he was able to get his 1,000 yard BR Rifle out of the safe finally and get on his sleepy way to the competition.
This was the second "problem" one of my friends has had with their electronic locking safes.
I have had one of my mechanical tumbler locking safes for 30+ years and never had any problems with any of them.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

My safe came with both electronic & tumbler. I see the electronic lock inside on the shelf every time I open mine.

You Sir, are a very smart man!
I had exactly the same problem with mine as the OP. Replaced it with S&G manual lock, by local locksmith, cost me over 100 bucks but worth it IMHO.
The electronic lock safes I am looking at currently have a large key, also. Take off the electronic lock and use a key if the electronics fail.

I think I'll get an old dial and tumbler type. wink
Ft Knox said I can replace with a tumbler lock - which I plan to do.
I was a Navy locksmith full time for my last two years of active duty then worked as a locksmith for around another seven years. I have installed, repaired, and opened a lot more safes than I can remember. I am a graduate of Lockmasters school of safe manipulation. I have even opened a safe under water in a sunken boat. I know a little about safes.

I would never have an electronic lock on a safe. In my mind the are a problem waiting to happen. They are not secure, cracking instructions were on Youtube at one time, maybe still are.

Just my opinion but I do know a little about the subject.
Originally Posted by twinray
Ft Knox said I can replace with a tumbler lock - which I plan to do.

A S&G MP combination is the way to go. You can easily set your combination and change the combination any time you like but still have a reasonable secure lock.
Have access to a rare earth magnet? May be worth a try. Not sure it will work with your safe, but it is a possibility.

See the video by Mr. Locksmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

"Terry Whin-Yates from Mr. Locksmith demonstrated how easy it is to open a Sentry Electronic Safe is less than 5 seconds with no damage or “Signs of Entry” for the Kitsilano Business Leaders Meetup.
To purchase an excellent UL Listed Burgulary and Fire Resistant Safe for home or business that can not be opened in seconds visit Mr. Locksmith Safes."
Bought my gun safe used. When the batteries in the electronic lock failed, I had to order a key (which bypasses the lock) from the manufacturer, because you must change batteries from the inside! Duh!
I asked for a new keypad which they are sending out. Who knows, maybe mine is bad. I tried 100 psi of compressed air in the electronic wire hole - to no avail. I'll keep trying till the new keypad comes. Will update, thanks.
Ironically, I was wishing I had an electronic lock rather than my manual lock recently. Now I'm glad I don't.

I have a S&G manual lock that was getting very hard to open. Sometimes it took 5 or more tries before it would open. Was getting afraid to lock it up.

Called the safe company and they told me to try a couple of things. Turns out, according to the company, that the tumblers wear down with age and the cure is to use one number above or below the current combination.

So far so good.

Scott F, I assume there are different levels of quality in the S&G locks? I have two safes with S&G locks and the older one has never given me trouble. It also feels smoother and can be manipulated faster than the newer unit.

On the troubled unit I can feel more resistance in turning as I get closer to the set combination numbers. Is that normal or a sign of more trouble to come? Should I consider having it changed?
Originally Posted by jklund38
Have access to a rare earth magnet? May be worth a try. Not sure it will work with your safe, but it is a possibility.

See the video by Mr. Locksmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

"Terry Whin-Yates from Mr. Locksmith demonstrated how easy it is to open a Sentry Electronic Safe is less than 5 seconds with no damage or “Signs of Entry” for the Kitsilano Business Leaders Meetup.
To purchase an excellent UL Listed Burgulary and Fire Resistant Safe for home or business that can not be opened in seconds visit Mr. Locksmith Safes."

Thanks. Right now I'll wait for the new key pad. Just found out that the combination is retained in the piece IN the safe where the pin and solonoid are. The magnetic strength of that magnet might screw it up.
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Scott F, I assume there are different levels of quality in the S&G locks? I have two safes with S&G locks and the older one has never given me trouble. It also feels smoother and can be manipulated faster than the newer unit.

On the troubled unit I can feel more resistance in turning as I get closer to the set combination numbers. Is that normal or a sign of more trouble to come? Should I consider having it changed?

A good cleaning, perhaps tightening of the screws that hold the body to the safe doors. Check that the key that holds the spindle and try a combination change. It sound like it is is loose somewhere.
This is THE LOCK YOU DON'T WANT
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire