Home
Merle Haggard dead at 79. One of my all time favorites. April 6 is his birthday too.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...le-haggard-turned-79-years-old-wednesday
wow, I just watched a live show with him about 3 weeks ago on CMT
I hate to hear that.

He's one of my all time favorites.
On his birthday.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/04/06/merle-haggard-dead-on-his-7th-birthday/?intcmp=hpbt4
Damn! There's going to be a jam session in Heaven tonight!
Going to miss him!
RIP Merle.

RIP Merele
Workin' Man Blues R.I.P.
One of the true greats; a giant in music. RIP, Merle.
DANG,.... just dang....
RIP Merle
He'll be playin with a lot of his old buddy's tonight.
The wife and I will jam out some of his tunes in memory.

Last recording
RIP Merle, one of the best ever.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Merle Haggard dead at 79. One of my all time favorites. April 6 is his birthday too.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...le-haggard-turned-79-years-old-wednesday
Just heard this..

By far my favorite CW singer... RIP Merle..
..." like some old highline pole."
One of a kind, RIP.
Damn.
Well, that sucks,

The big city has really turned him loose now:

Geno
I used to keep a boat at his marina years back, Silverthorn on Lake Shasta. He was there a lot and performed in the lounge.

Now Silverthorn is a shambles and a joke. Too bad... frown
yep just saw that RIP Merle!!! one of the good ole boys

If anyone is a fan and has not seen his impressions of other country music greats, it is fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDAPl8-Soc
AcesNeights: R.I.P. Merle and thanks for everything.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Godspeed, Merle, and thanks.
Originally Posted by 4ager
One of the true greats; a giant in music. RIP, Merle.

Yes!
Damn
Very sad news; he was indeed one of the greats.

RIP Merle.
R.I.P. Merle
Maybe we will see you down the road some day. Cheers NC
Well I think Country Music is ear rape...

But Merle Haggard was a cool guy; RIP
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

If anyone is a fan and has not seen his impressions of other country music greats, it is fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDAPl8-Soc

That was great. Thanks.

We've lost one of the great ones... R.I.P. Merle... You were indeed a class act.
My little brother and Merle were friends, this is a sad day. frown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I took my 79 year old father to see him and Willie in concert back in October in Bloomington In, I thought he looked like death warmed over then ! He put on an incredible show and when he started in on one of his songs he was wanting the audience to sing along they just wasn't loud enough for his liking so he stopped the song and said to the audience hey folks at my age and in my condition I never know when I might be singing my last song so please let's put some gusto into this one ! And they did ! RIP Merle !
when i was a teenager i wore out a 45 record of mama tried.saw merle perform twice. great shows.the hag was the best!

i'm drinkin george dickle tonight in merle's honor.

RIP Merle, you are one of the best.

His manager, Frank Mull, said he died of pneumonia in Palo Cedro, California.
Haggard recorded 40 No. 1 country singles and wrote some of the genre's most revered classics, which have been recorded by Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, The Byrds, Vince Gill, The Grateful Dead and many others.
Among his many honors, Haggard was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1994, received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006 and received a Kenned.

What set Merle apart from many of his generation, aside from being a very good singer, was his song writing. I had the chance to see Merle back in the mid nineties what better place to see him than at the Ryman in Nashville. It was a good show.
Think I'll just stay here and drink
Read this earlier this week - Merle had a top 5 hit every year, 21 years in a row.

Crazy.
He was a king of country for sure.

This is a great playlist, currently on #7....

Merle is country music...RIP big guy.
What a super guy...

The real man's poet....

Damn! I hate to hear that. The forecast is zero and the chill factors high! There nobody like him. RIP Mr. Haggard
I don't like any of the current country music but I would listen to this guy.....RIP!!!
RIP Merle.

Not many of the legends left
Merle went to the doctor just a week ago. The doctor said, "Merle, you don't look good. Kind of pale. You look haggard."
I was just going to go see Old Hag next month at Charles Town Races and Slots.

The $110 ticket price had me hedging my bets though.

One of the greats. RIP and say hi to Waylon, Johnny and George.
Here is why I don't like Merle Haggard. He wrote this song:

"I hear people talkin' bad,
About the way we have to live here in this country,
Harpin' on the wars we fight,
An' gripin' 'bout the way things oughta be.
An' I don't mind 'em switchin' sides,
An' standin' up for things they believe in.
When they're runnin' down my country, man,
They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Yeah, walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Runnin' down the way of life,
Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep.
If you don't love it, leave it:
Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
If you're runnin' down my country, man,
You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me."

He wrote this song during the Vietnam War.
I was of draft age during this war. I decided that this war was wrong. This war was a mistake, and probably illegal, as the Tonkin Gulf Resolution was voted in due to a deliberate lie by Lyndon Johnson.

I forecefully opposed this war and I did not go to Vietnam.
Merle Haggard is saying "If you don't love it, leave it."
Ho Chi Minh was not going to invade Los Angeles. He was not going to take over our government and force us to abandon our churches, and become Communist. Ho Chi Minh was not going to take away my second amendment rights.

The Communist government of Vietnam was no threat to us.
But Merle Haggard is saying that if I don't support the war, I need to leave the country.
What a fool of a bumpkin.
One of the last real country singers. frown
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've listened to that song since it was released. The war was going on as the song was popular, but I never connected it to Viet Nam. Sounds pro American to me and I like it. In any event, talking smack about a dead person seems like a very low class thing for someone to do. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My little brother and Merle were friends, this is a sad day. frown

[Linked Image]

Poignant image of a late-in-life icon.

Thank you for sharing.
simonkenton thats about as classless as I've seen in a long time. A country legend, an ICON of music has passed and all you can do it run your mouth about how you were a concientious objecter and this song hurt your feelings. Suck it up buttercup and kiss my ass. RIP Mr. Haggard, you were and are one of the VERY best ever!!
Merle,

He is and was one of the only artists that I bought his stuff. Had an 8 track back in the day.

Silver Wings...

Gonna miss him.
Always liked his music, not as much as the old country... but pretty close. Liked his style and his longevity. He loved his country and didn't press on anyone his views. He wasn't an activist on either side, and in fact as stated in the article his 2002 autobiography shows a view probably not too flattering with some of you.

Link

He was a good person and will be missed by many! That in it self is more than most will ever be able to say.

Phil
Merle didn't hurt my feelings.

The opinions he expressed in this song go against everything that our Constitution stands for. In our country, if we should disagree with govt. policy, we have the right for "peaceable assembly to express grievances."

But Merle didn't want people like me to express disagreement with the government. He implied that he wanted to beat my ass. He said that people who disagreed with govt. policy were "On the fighting side of me."

Can't you see how his viewpoint is at the very heart, in opposition to what our country stands for?

He said in this song that he wanted to beat my ass. That people like me were on "The fighting side of me."

Well, when he wrote this song I was 22 years old, 6-3 and 215. If Merle really wanted to, I would have stepped out into the yard with him. Probably would have been a bad day for 'ol Merle.

I know that the guy had a great voice and in his own way was a great talent. But, in this song, he was a redneck bigot.

"Earth to bobmar. You do not connect this song to Vietnam?"
Hello! This song was written during the Vietnam War. It was about Vietnam.
What do you think it was about, The War of 1812?
But, in this song, he was a redneck bigot.

Thats why me and my friends played it loud, back in the day. Chewing Red Man.

He was a cultural statement. In my neighborhood where I grew up we were all on his side...
Best take another look at those lyrics.
"An' I don't mind 'em switchin' sides,
An' standin' up for things they believe in."

You don't have to agree with the government to love the country.
He has several songs that are in disagreement with the gov't.
Other than that, you still talk like a punk.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KltZYIF3e5U
Mr Simon,
I find it a bit arrogant that you consider yourself qualified to speak for earth. That said, there was a lot of strife in this country about that time, that didn't involve Viet Nam. Maybe you heard about it. Regardless, the song was pro American, not anti anything. As I said previously, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can believe whatever you want. Long break
So simonkenton7, Am I correct in assuming two things from this thread... Merle is dead, and you chose to dodge the draft?

and for what it's worth, In my opinion, the words penned in the song you reference ring as true today as they would have in 1812......
MH usually had a first-rate backup band that pushed great rhythm - liked that a lot. Excellent entertainer in his genre.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Here is why I don't like Merle Haggard

Note to Simon:

It's not all about you.
Sad to hear. The local radio station from where Merle lives has been talking about him a lot lately. Seems like they said he was just getting over pneumonia but he had just bought a new tour bus and was wanting to get back to work. End of an era Rest In Peace.
Sad to hear, but he is in a better place now jamming with his friends.
I miss Merle Haggard; the ex-con who supposedly repented, before the Obama/commie suckfest....

He could sure tell a story...

Originally Posted by BGunn
He could sure tell a story...

Must EVERTHING be turned into POLITICAL rant? That is a core problem with the campfire.
We dont smoke marijuana in Muskogee..
Originally Posted by Jericho
We dont smoke marijuana in Muskogee..

Brah, speak for your self please.
© 24hourcampfire