Home
I didn't have time to scout this year, and my expectations were VERY low when Rowdy and I jumped in the pick-up and drove north a couple of hours after school let out on Friday. The plan was to go light and be mobile. We would just sleep on the side of the mountain in the bed of the truck somewhere on Friday evening, hopefully after we located a bird to chase in the morning.

We didn't locate any birds Friday evening, but we did have a great dinner of elk-burgers and donuts before slipping into the bags for a few hours of sleep. We were up around 5 the next morning, and started driving roads to see if we could light one up. By 8 o'clock, I'd about given up as we'd hiked and driven non-stop for three hours without cutting a track or hearing a bird. We were having a blast making each other laugh and just generally enjoying the company of one another, but were beginning to think we'd come home bird-less once again.

I had one last spot across the valley to try, and we drove there with much-diminished hopes. A couple of miles up the road we came around the corner to a likely-looking spot and stepped out to relieve ourselves and give a quick call. Before both feet had touched the road, I heard one a half-mile or so away gobbling his head off. Soon, several more joined in. We were all smiles as we grabbed the gear and headed off in pursuit.

We closed the distance to within a couple of hundred yards pretty quickly, but we were behind them and they wouldn't turn back to come take a look. We grabbed the decoy up and started climbing up the mountain to get in front of them as best we could. It was pretty steep getting there and I still have my winter fat on, so I had my doubts we'd be able to catch up.

Just as we crested the top of a mostly bald mountain, I heard one light up below us and just over the rise. We threw the decoy out settled in next to a snag that offered the only available cover. We were more exposed than I would have preferred, but didn't feel like we could move much at that point as it sounded like he was closing fast.

About two minutes later I felt Rowdy tense up as he readied for a shot. I was mostly hidden behind the snag, but could see through a small, rotten spot in the snag and got to watch as the bird approached. He was only about 25 yards out, and Rowdy rolled him with a perfect shot as soon as he stopped for a second.

Here he is just after the shot. You can actually see a wing sticking up just over his thumb if you look closely...

[Linked Image]

Lots of hugs and high-fives later we got down to the business of tagging the bird and posing for a picture to be sent to mama (and shared with the Campfire)..

[Linked Image]

As we stood up to leave, another group across the valley started gobbling and I took this picture as he listened to them. It's one of my favorite photos ever...

[Linked Image]

On the hike back down the hill, Rowdy made me pose for a "selfie" because he wanted at least one photo together. "Selfies" are stupid, but I was happy he wanted me in the photo and acquiesced.

[Linked Image]

It was an absolutely great expereince, and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I do with my son in the great state of Idaho. Finally, here he is on the ride home. I usually make him stay awake to keep me entertained, but all the adrenaline of the day got the better of him and I didn't have the heart to keep him awake any longer...

[Linked Image]

All in all it was a pretty awesome weekend. I hope yours was just as great.

Dave
You are the (Dad) Man!
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING stupid about that selfie Brother!!!! You just got Honored!!!!!
Great pics and story! Good job Dad!
Congrats! Way to hang in there.
Congrats to both of you!
These are the best posts!
Excellent job, both of you. What a great trophy for him.
Looks like the "boy" has a great Dad. keep hanging in there with him. I know you're proud.
Nice turkey also!!

best-
Steve
Cool
Nice smile
Outstanding!!! now he's hooked.
great job
Here's my bet: neither one of you will ever forget that outing together. Ever. Congratulations! A simple expedition like that together bonded you together forever.
great job great turkey great dad.

norm
Originally Posted by iddave
I didn't have time to scout this year, and my expectations were VERY low when Rowdy and I jumped in the pick-up and drove north a couple of hours after school let out on Friday. The plan was to go light and be mobile. We would just sleep on the side of the mountain in the bed of the truck somewhere on Friday evening, hopefully after we located a bird to chase in the morning.

We didn't locate any birds Friday evening, but we did have a great dinner of elk-burgers and donuts before slipping into the bags for a few hours of sleep. We were up around 5 the next morning, and started driving roads to see if we could light one up. By 8 o'clock, I'd about given up as we'd hiked and driven non-stop for three hours without cutting a track or hearing a bird. We were having a blast making each other laugh and just generally enjoying the company of one another, but were beginning to think we'd come home bird-less once again.

I had one last spot across the valley to try, and we drove there with much-diminished hopes. A couple of miles up the road we came around the corner to a likely-looking spot and stepped out to relieve ourselves and give a quick call. Before both feet had touched the road, I heard one a half-mile or so away gobbling his head off. Soon, several more joined in. We were all smiles as we grabbed the gear and headed off in pursuit.

We closed the distance to within a couple of hundred yards pretty quickly, but we were behind them and they wouldn't turn back to come take a look. We grabbed the decoy up and started climbing up the mountain to get in front of them as best we could. It was pretty steep getting there and I still have my winter fat on, so I had my doubts we'd be able to catch up.

Just as we crested the top of a mostly bald mountain, I heard one light up below us and just over the rise. We threw the decoy out settled in next to a snag that offered the only available cover. We were more exposed than I would have preferred, but didn't feel like we could move much at that point as it sounded like he was closing fast.

About two minutes later I felt Rowdy tense up as he readied for a shot. I was mostly hidden behind the snag, but could see through a small, rotten spot in the snag and got to watch as the bird approached. He was only about 25 yards out, and Rowdy rolled him with a perfect shot as soon as he stopped for a second.

Here he is just after the shot. You can actually see a wing sticking up just over his thumb if you look closely...

[Linked Image]

Lots of hugs and high-fives later we got down to the business of tagging the bird and posing for a picture to be sent to mama (and shared with the Campfire)..

[Linked Image]

As we stood up to leave, another group across the valley started gobbling and I took this picture as he listened to them. It's one of my favorite photos ever...

[Linked Image]

On the hike back down the hill, Rowdy made me pose for a "selfie" because he wanted at least one photo together. "Selfies" are stupid, but I was happy he wanted me in the photo and acquiesced.

[Linked Image]

It was an absolutely great expereince, and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I do with my son in the great state of Idaho. Finally, here he is on the ride home. I usually make him stay awake to keep me entertained, but all the adrenaline of the day got the better of him and I didn't have the heart to keep him awake any longer...

[Linked Image]

All in all it was a pretty awesome weekend. I hope yours was just as great.

Dave

This is probably THE BEST story I've read on the campfire in a long long time. Congratulations to you both.
Good on ya dad! You're bringing him up right!

"Elk burgers and donuts", I love it! smile
Great Job,congrats to you both!!!
Killer deal man. My youngest hasn't killed a turkey yet. I need to get on the ball.

Ps selfies are only stupid if your a self absorbed douche and your the only one in the pic. If your being humorous or someone is with you you get a pass, not stupid at all.

Terrific!

Congrats to you both.

A productive day spent in the outdoors with your son, beautiful weather what could be better.
Nice going Rowdy!

He's got the penitentiary-face-hero-shot down just like his dad. laugh
Outstanding story of a great hunt. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story with us.
Good job to you both!
What the hell is wrong with you posting pix and stories about family and hunting on here.....

In the future please limit your posts in the "Hunters Campfire" to name calling and politics....

Thanks for your cooperation....

BTW.....thanks....what a refreshing break....and a big thumbs up to you and the boy....
Boom! Congrats to the both of you...
Good job DAD.
The first time is special for sure.

Bet by the time he got to the truck that bird's weight went by a factor of 3. grin
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Nice smile

Very nice. Things like this and embarrassing the hell out of them are some of the finer point of parenthood. wink
iddave;
Thanks so much for sharing the family hunt photo and story with us sir, it's threads such as these that are among my personal favorite here at our cyber 'Fire.

Please send along congratulations to him on that tom. Its something that's on my personal hunting bucket list to accomplish.

I'll send you a tip of the hat too sir for making the effort to lay the foundation in order for moments such as these to take place. Well done sir.

Thanks again and all the best to you and your family this spring.

Dwayne
Woot!!

BP...
Congratulations! Great times and great memories made.

50 years from now when Rowdy is talking to his sons and grandsons he will be telling the story of this hunt and the time you all spent together.
BAM! Way to go Dave! Just frisking awesome!
Doesn't get any better. cool cool
Congrats to you both! Turkey hunting is great fun as is taking a kid hunting - and you did both!
Great story, pictures and ending smile...Congrats to you both !!!!
You and Rowdy made me smile, thank you.
Congrats all around!
Great post, congrats!
Great job Dad, thanks for sharing.

And just so you know, he did a selfie to show both turkeys. wink
Very cool. It is a great story. Congrats all around!!!
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed hearing about our little outing. I certainly love all the hours of entertainment this site has given me reading/living vicariously through your collective adventures.

Dave

Thats awesome brother! Huge congrats to you and your son!! Proud!
Dave's the man. Leading by example.

Congrats on a great hunt.
Post of the month right here.
Originally Posted by iddave
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed hearing about our little outing. I certainly love all the hours of entertainment this site has given me reading/living vicariously through your collective adventures.

Dave

Thanks Dave and a big thanks to Rowdy for sharing his hunt with us.

Don't let Mr Field Grade get to you, you keep posting these adventures. wink More than enough of the other "stuff" around this campfire.

I'll live vicariously through your story this year more than likely. My work schedule "MAY" allow me one day to get after a turkey. A big "MAY". My job sucks in that way, busy time of the year for me.

Geno
Lotta pressure takin a kid turkey huntin.

Good job.
Dave,
Thank you for bringing back some of my best memories with my two boys. They are now 34 and 40 yrs old, and your story brought back some of my best memories. I drug them all over the hills and mountains from the time they could walk (and had quit wearing diapers) and we, all of us will never forget the good times we had.
Now, they drag me all over hunting and I let them do it. ( I also have two new knees and I think i will keep it a secret how good they work)

Ken
© 24hourcampfire